2.70 star(s) 15 Votes

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
error with Basic Aerobics i try to do the 1st day of it , game crashes during the dressing part
Might be because I haven't drawn the gym uniform yet... but there's really nothing that should break it tbh, should just default to school uniform... I'll see if I can get it fixed as soon as possible though!

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
I see. My scenes don't have a lot of custom artwork, I generally try to make do with the bust images and somewhat more generic animations, as well as writing, as I'm not the best artist, but I'll see what I can do in terms of making some sort of Gallery!

Mind, it might be a while before I can get to that, as there's a rather large backlog of stuff I need to get done currently, but I'll add it to the list!

Ikarius

Compressor
Nov 13, 2017
Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower [v0.15.1] [Ninhalf/HGameArtMan] - Compressed

Original PC Size: 854.94 MB
Original MAC Size: 980.86 MB

Compressed PC Size: 186.5 MB
Compressed MAC Size: 316.7 MB

This compression is unofficial and may break the game.

Last edited:

WheresLucifer

Sep 1, 2018
I see. My scenes don't have a lot of custom artwork, I generally try to make do with the bust images and somewhat more generic animations, as well as writing, as I'm not the best artist, but I'll see what I can do in terms of making some sort of Gallery!

Mind, it might be a while before I can get to that, as there's a rather large backlog of stuff I need to get done currently, but I'll add it to the list!
Maybe you could reach out to that modder to see if he/she can help you regarding to gallery instead of you trying to add it in your bucket list to do.

Have a great day and be safe... (y)

Reactions: hgameartman

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
hgameartman
Workupload - all your PNGs losslesy optimized. Just copy/paste. This is still PNG, 100% working.
How?
https://f95zone.to/threads/making-your-games-smaller-w-o-quality-loss-png-jpg-mp3-optimization.6602/
That's cool, thanks! I'll try them out! I could probably save a lot more space by actually doing animations correctly too... pretty sure i have several sets that have repeated images in them because I was lazy and exporting faster than I could track from Live2d...

Or removing defunct/unused art assets. You can still see character art from back in January in the files! But the last time I removed old artwork the game threw a fit because, as it turned out, there was still a single scene in x location that was using it!

Anyway, I'll start optimizing images every once in a while if I can! For now ima test out these files, see how they work implemented ingame!

• Red Heart
Reactions: CobraPL

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
V0.15.2 Bugfixes
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Win: - - AnonFile
Mac: - - AnonFile

Last edited:
Reactions: Horacio55555

WheresLucifer

Sep 1, 2018
hgameartman "... I think a power outage I had earlier had me lose data, that or I'm a moron and never saved changes. ..."

Well, we are humans... Most of us been told to save data often back in school days and possible in work place. Believe me, I been there in IT world. I cannot tell you what is a better way for you to build a habit to save often. Even if software vendors included auto saving, you cannot rely on their source. Microsoft claims their software rarely ever have those problems, however I can prove that Microsoft is incorrect. Here are few method that you may want to try as a reminder...

(option 1) Set a timer or alarm like 15, 30, or 60 minutes to help remind you to save your work.
(option 2) Save your work each time you take a break from your system.
(option 3) Set reminder or notification at certain time to remind you to save your work

This could save you a lot of work when you save more often. I cannot say how you need to save your work. I sometime do incremental file saving. Example Demo-001_20210105-1 is the first image, after modifying the image, I would rename it to Demo-001_20210105-2.jpg. Once the file is finalized, I would save the image file to Demo-001.jpg. If you do not need to the older image that been modified, then delete them. This is one of my method I do. I do that a lot with documentation that I may be working on for a while. Sometime I forget to delete the older ones when I do not need them. I also put the final file in another folder instead of the original working folder. Again, you may have your own method, you choose what is best for you and what works for you the best.

Next thing, if you believe you had power outage. You may want to think about getting an uninterruptible power supply or uninterruptible power source (UPS). Read the spec to make sure you know how much time you have of battery life before your computer needs shut down. You only need to have the computer plug into the battery source and all other can be plug into the surge ports. If you really need to put the monitor on the battery source, you can to save your work before shutting down the computer if needed. Some UPS has software that you can have the USB connected to the UPS and the software can determine when you need to shutdown your computer before the battery is out on the UPS. It can be handy when you have unreliable power and it can help protect your computer from surge as well. The UPS is not really that expensive. Recommend you do you own research on which one to get. May need to get replacement once every few years.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Thanks! I usually do save, but there's no expecting the unexpected, in my case, I'm fairly certain the husky pulled the plug out while throwing a tantrum because she couldn't play with our 4-month old puppy. (She just got fixed so their usual playsessions are out for a few weeks while she recovers)

I had thought everything had been saved beforehand, and I wasn't on the computer at the time (was getting puppy food and water across the room), but regardless, it didn't seem to be much that was lost, likely just a few smaller bugfixes that I already re-fixed with the latest bugfixing patch, and perhaps some AI tests that I was doing in debug rooms to try to develop new enemy AI(that I also re-fixed a few days later when I continued testing and tinkering before the 15.1 release)

WheresLucifer

Sep 1, 2018
Thanks! I usually do save, but there's no expecting the unexpected, in my case, I'm fairly certain the husky pulled the plug out while throwing a tantrum because she couldn't play with our 4-month old puppy. (She just got fixed so their usual playsessions are out for a few weeks while she recovers)

I had thought everything had been saved beforehand, and I wasn't on the computer at the time (was getting puppy food and water across the room), but regardless, it didn't seem to be much that was lost, likely just a few smaller bugfixes that I already re-fixed with the latest bugfixing patch, and perhaps some AI tests that I was doing in debug rooms to try to develop new enemy AI(that I also re-fixed a few days later when I continued testing and tinkering before the 15.1 release)
:ROFLMAO: Should I give the husky a treat for doing good job pulling the power plugs. ;) Well hope your dogs are doing well. Well, husky has high energy, hope you can help manage them to be calm and the puppy will be a challenge.

Horacio55555

Nov 11, 2020
Hey hgameartman
Big fan of the project so far, I don't know if @Ninhalf is also present in this forum (or maybe they are you, it's kind of unclear to me) but I hope y'all both had a great new years.

That said, it's unfortunate about your power issue. As WheresLucifer suggested, seems wise. Pups can be a little silly huh, heh.

Looking forward to future updates, I did drop a review off which made mention of a particular bug that occurred in my most recent playthrough. It actually killed the save file which was surprising. Bugs aside, though, the game is really very charming and that was the word I was actually looking for instead of (or perhaps as well as) cute.

I'm sure I'll see more of you in the near future and take care, mate.

(P.S. Sorry about pinging the both of you, I didn't actually think it would properly tag y'all there cause I'm kinda new to this forum)

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Hey hgameartman
Big fan of the project so far, I don't know if @Ninhalf is also present in this forum (or maybe they are you, it's kind of unclear to me) but I hope y'all both had a great new years.

That said, it's unfortunate about your power issue. As WheresLucifer suggested, seems wise. Pups can be a little silly huh, heh.

Looking forward to future updates, I did drop a review off which made mention of a particular bug that occurred in my most recent playthrough. It actually killed the save file which was surprising. Bugs aside, though, the game is really very charming and that was the word I was actually looking for instead of (or perhaps as well as) cute.

I'm sure I'll see more of you in the near future and take care, mate.

(P.S. Sorry about pinging the both of you, I didn't actually think it would properly tag y'all there cause I'm kinda new to this forum)
Thanks! I'm both Hgame and Ninhalf, as I sort of ended up with a split username between writing books with my fiance and then starting the game. (The original use for the HGame username was actually to get critique on my artwork as I was developing!)

I do have another artist working with me occasionally (you can see his work on some of the professors and also Anya's animated scene in her sidestory), but he wishes to remain anonymous so I haven't talked about him really.

I've been trying to get bugs fixed, but it can be hard sometimes with how much I've broken apart RPGmaker's systems. Everything from combat and movement to saving had to be redone in some way! For a few months actually, I had to disable saving outside of the bedroom because the game had a unique crash that would brick your save if you tried to save on any map that had walking students! (That, as you can imagine, was hard to explain to people who wanted to know why they couldn't save anywhere!)

It took me 3 months to get that fixed I think! (I ended up modyfing the save system to save your position on the map, and then warp you to another room, save there, then warp you back on resuming, but even that had to be modified because for months it would plop you into furniture or walls!)

I'll get things fixed up over time, I'm sure! It just might take a bit of time.

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
RPGMaker doesn't like complicated scripting, I've seen it for a long time before this game came out, but this is a pretty damn good example of the engine not playing nice. It's always impressive to see a dev completely break the mold of an engine though and make it do something unique.

Im curious, if it didn't take weeks, if not months to port the game to a new engine, would you? If so, what engine would you choose? Or a better way to word my question, which engine would be more friendly to the systems you have and want?

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Oh yeah, RPGmaker really doesn't like complicated scripting.
I thankfully have the experience to go in and modify/write my own scripts to fix errors at that level, or even rework breaking parts of the engine (like the death code, which for a while broke respawn every single time!), so it's not too bad on the maintenance, the issues really come in when having these systems react in ways that you don't expect, like the above save issue (who would have guessed that walking students generated like that would break everything if you save on the same map while they're pathfinding!)

I think with this project I would honestly want to keep it in RPGmaker. It would change the game substantially to rework it for another engine, not to mention the time re-programming all the systems for another engine. Even if I could instantly port things over, the maintenance cost in another engine would be just as high, I think.

I would likely use Unity though if I had the option and could make my code all pretty and maintainable and impossibly perfect, I have plenty of experience with coding in Unity before I started this game. I chose to use RPGmaker because I found myself spending all my time playing with code (something I'm good with thanks to schooling/past experience!) and not drawing/working on improving my artwork (something I'm not so good with, because I didn't start drawing until I was 22ish)

I do have plans to move onto Unity (and learn some 3d design to mix in with 2d art/animations!) for my next game! (which isn't even in pre-production yet! Got vague ideas for it though, in a few years!)

Elona Spiral

Aug 31, 2020
So how far has the game been developed since Oct 2020? I think the game at the time only had lessons for the 1st semester and the 3rd floor of the Academy is pretty much barren.

What is the game going to look like going forward?

2.70 star(s) 15 Votes