2.70 star(s) 15 Votes

Creiz

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2018
That was your first sin, to make a game this ambitious to start with.

I know full well how time consuming developing everything by yourself is.

I have nothing but pure respect for what you accomplished until now. Which is why it pains me so much to see you're not getting the support you deserve.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
That was your first sin, to make a game this ambitious to start with.

I know full well how time consuming developing everything by yourself is.

I have nothing but pure respect for what you accomplished until now. Which is why it pains me so much to see you're not getting the support you deserve.
I cut back the scale for my side-game! (which I'm now stuck trying to implement proper pregnancy mechanics for the last 6 months! I've got a basic idea implemented but it needs a lot more polish and, much like this game, work getting in the way means development time for it is limited at the moment)

I had scope planned to take 2 years for this game, during which time I could heavily focus on artwork and not programming.

I vastly underestimated my scope and am still only halfway through it due to technical debt and having to redo large portions of the game. I'll get there eventually, it just might take a while.

Reactions: Creiz

Pink Chaos

Dec 4, 2019
I've honestly been waiting to play this game again until there're fewer listed bugs, but it sounds like it'll be difficult and time consuming to fix them. So I might just play it again some time when I'm in a mood for erotic magical school simulation.

Reactions: hgameartman

Varik8876

Sep 17, 2019
At the core I wanted there to be a grounded life simulation. There's really no game that does this, primarily because it can be annoying as hell to simulate waking up, brushing your teeth, going to work/school, walking/driving home, making dinner, etc etc.)
It is annoying as fuck to even play such a game, we play games to escape having to do that shit, not do more of it in a game.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
It is annoying as fuck to even play such a game, we play games to escape having to do that shit, not do more of it in a game.
Lifesim is a genre of gaming though.
There's the general ones like the sims, but there's also farming lifesim (story of seasons/stardew valley) or even more focused sims for different real-life jobs/hobbys like powerwashing sim, etc etc.

Looking at harvest moon/story of seasons/stardew valley (some of my main inspirations for the game). You start the game doing farm chores every day, you wake up, you water your plants, you eat, you romance the townspeople, etc etc.

It's quite monotonous to start, but as the seasons go on you slowly advance. You get the help of slave labor harvest sprites, or automation sprinklers, your income increases and you can buy better food, etc etc.

The plan is to have this sort of progression appear in Horny Mage Academy in the form of reduced class requirements and reduced job requirements later in the game. The current state is rather tightly planned with the goal at the start of the game being something like 12 classes/8 study sessions/15ish or so job visits each semester(leaving you feeling rather pressed for time). As you progress you were to get better jobs that pay more so you can only need like, 5 each semester, or study sessions that doubled effectiveness at the cost of money or also built up relationships(this is actually in the game in the form of homeroom attendance!) . At the far end of the game class/study requirements were planned to fall off near endgame to basically open up all of your time.

But that development has stalled over the past year or so as I went back and had to redo artwork from the first releases and do massive reworks of basically everything I did during the first year and a half or so of development.

Once the game has a more structured main storyline in place I can start to do some proper balancing of how much time is spent on the more monotonous sections of the game, and develop systems to reduce them. But I can't just throw in like, a part time job with no requirements that pays an insane amount of money without properly planning it out, and I can't plan it out while having a good chunk of the game still missing and incomplete (the combat systems and dungeons that I want the story to progress through).

Last edited:

DragonkingKyo

Jun 5, 2017
There's the general ones like the sims, but there's also farming lifesim (story of seasons/stardew valley) or even more focused sims for different real-life jobs/hobbys like powerwashing sim, etc etc.

Looking at harvest moon/story of seasons/stardew valley (some of my main inspirations for the game). You start the game doing farm chores every day, you wake up, you water your plants, you eat, you romance the townspeople, etc etc.

It's quite monotonous to start, but as the seasons go on you slowly advance. You get the help of slave labor harvest sprites, or automation sprinklers, your income increases and you can buy better food, etc etc.

The plan is to have this sort of progression appear in Horny Mage Academy in the form of reduced class requirements and reduced job requirements later in the game. The current state is rather tightly planned with the goal at the start of the game being something like 12 classes/8 study sessions/15ish or so job visits each semester(leaving you feeling rather pressed for time). As you progress you were to get better jobs that pay more so you can only need like, 5 each semester, or study sessions that doubled effectiveness at the cost of money or also built up relationships(this is actually in the game in the form of homeroom attendance!) . At the far end of the game class/study requirements were planned to fall off near endgame to basically open up all of your time.

But that development has stalled over the past year or so as I went back and had to redo artwork from the first releases and do massive reworks of basically everything I did during the first year and a half or so of development.

Once the game has a more structured main storyline in place I can start to do some proper balancing of how much time is spent on the more monotonous sections of the game, and develop systems to reduce them. But I can't just throw in like, a part time job with no requirements that pays an insane amount of money without properly planning it out, and I can't plan it out while having a good chunk of the game still missing and incomplete (the combat systems and dungeons that I want the story to progress through).
I think you should give more days before the next term/semester instead of 20 give 10(making it 30) extra days to gather money or do other things and make a skip rest of the days option if people want to as they have everything done and want to start the new term/semester sooner.

Reactions: Waxfruit

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
I think you should give more days before the next term/semester instead of 20 give 10(making it 30) extra days to gather money or do other things and make a skip rest of the days option if people want to as they have everything done and want to start the new term/semester sooner.
There's so much stuff hard-coded to be based on the 20-day cycle that it would be very difficult to do such a major change without breaking a lot of stuff in the background. It's such a messy, ancient system that I don't know if I could change it without the entire game basically falling apart.

Just changing the stats screen this past update alone required me to go in and redo the setup of the main menu screen and delve through everything built in the game for the first year to find and replace any instances of the animations being used so I could safely remove them from the game files (and even then I haven't cleaned them out yet because I know if I do it's going to crop up as a bug report a week later when the game crashes at a scene I had yet to find!)

Butt9213

Jan 25, 2018
yes it is artifact recipe book from the first course for artifacts were you make a wand(I think) as the moment it says I get the book the game freezes
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. As soon as I receive the book, the game goes to a halting slow pace and doesn't seem to finish loading the end of class.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. As soon as I receive the book, the game goes to a halting slow pace and doesn't seem to finish loading the end of class.
I think it's connected to the reworks of the first semester I did.

It's probably throwing a fit about how I removed the scenes that happen around that time. I'll try to get it fixed as soon as I can.

Reactions: International

Varik8876

Sep 17, 2019

I do not play those sort of games either, I find them far too tedious and boring. Still that is what you have decided your game is going to be stick with it, I just will not be bothering any further with it, so good luck, and its now adding another game to my ignore list here.

Dan68

Aug 4, 2019
yes it is artifact recipe book from the first course for artifacts were you make a wand(I think) as the moment it says I get the book the game freezes

Whilst you are looking into the artefacts recipe book freeze,
There is another class in which this happens -
Also game freezes in lesson 3 of Crystal gate class

Just after student 2 says "he said that there was a lot of attempts...

Could it be the use of ellipsis that cause the freeze?

BTW quick guide as to where to get green mushrooms

Other annoying bugs is working in the kitchen pantry selecting Hard - chasing imps the game is prone to just going to "game over" I don't know if this is triggered by an instant spawning of a chasing imp near the MC - but this is not visible.

awdmawdaw

Oct 13, 2020
Thanks! Yep, Suzuya is a dev group from Japan. There's a couple other Japanese groups who don't front like super high budget images but have cool gameplay include Mijiishi and Landcut. Unfortunately, Suzuya and Mijiishi almost exclusively make NTR games, which is not everyone's cup of tea. I like them because the main protagonist are usually in on the fun and games, so it's not like cruelty for the sake of cruelty. Landcut also has some NTR games, but not all their games have that.

You can check out their game lists here:

I personally like:

1. "Man Who Fell for a Knightess Whore Has His Cuckoldry Fetish Deepen" by Suzuya, because it made me realize "Whore Knight" is totally my thing...
  2. "Amour Maho Academy" by Mijiishi, which has a similar concept to Horny Mage Academy.
  3. "Lafilia, Princess of the Nearby Kingdom", "Ria's Holy Grail Exploration Log", and "Karen the Knight - Castaway on Goja Island" by Landcut for their generally simple but addictive gameplay loop. None of these have NTR.
Cheers!
hey ive been looking for the download link to lafilia princess of the nearby kingdom can you please reply to me with it? thanks

Ramenlord2001

Jul 14, 2021
hey it been awhile game is great making great progress at a fast pace though i had a question is there a chance you be adding multiple pregnancy I honestly love it when a game give you the chance to get twin or higher personally I haven't found a game that plays around with having multiple past triplets. kinda hope if it does make it in we could get unrealistic numbers considering 1 where in a world of magic and 2 its a game as well.

xanon515x

Mar 16, 2019
Stuck at artificer 4th class now, just after getting the recipe book :/

Any chance it is related to not collecting the materials in between classes? I already had the mats for it so i never went searching for them (wood and some catalysts from slimes). Also, if you leave the game open for a while after getting the book, the chat window that lets you know you got it closes as it should so maybe it is just a massive slowdown? even managed to open the menu like this and game moved at normal speed in it (though i get thrown back to hell when i try to use the de-stuck item to wiggle out of this one)

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
hey it been awhile game is great making great progress at a fast pace though i had a question is there a chance you be adding multiple pregnancy I honestly love it when a game give you the chance to get twin or higher personally I haven't found a game that plays around with having multiple past triplets. kinda hope if it does make it in we could get unrealistic numbers considering 1 where in a world of magic and 2 its a game as well.
I think there's a rare chance of having nekomata twins if that counts.

Stuck at artificer 4th class now, just after getting the recipe book :/

Any chance it is related to not collecting the materials in between classes? I already had the mats for it so i never went searching for them (wood and some catalysts from slimes). Also, if you leave the game open for a while after getting the book, the chat window that lets you know you got it closes as it should so maybe it is just a massive slowdown? even managed to open the menu like this and game moved at normal speed in it (though i get thrown back to hell when i try to use the de-stuck item to wiggle out of this one)
It's probably related to the relatively recent implementation of a crafting plugin, rather than my own janky crafting code.
I'll figure it out and try to have it fixed as soon as I can!

Game feels jank but its so good and full of content, damn

Godspeed guys
I promised myself I would not code so I would work on my art.

I then reasoned to myself "You know, it's not like I'm making a plugin, so whats the worst that could happen if I just use a tiny bit of script to make this system a little earlier to make myself. What's the harm in saving a 2d array into rpgmaker variables.

On the plus side, I did improve my art (and am hopefully still improving it!) on the downside....

I now have to learn plugin creation and I'm rusty on my programming a bit so it's taking longer than it should for a software engineering major just a few years out of college!

DreamyMilk

Aug 25, 2019
seems like both the website and the Wiki is currently down fore some reason?
witch is unfortunate considering a lot of info and other stuff on it is now harder to find.
well at list it is life signs on the patreon page but still...

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
seems like both the website and the Wiki is currently down fore some reason?
witch is unfortunate considering a lot of info and other stuff on it is now harder to find.
well at list it is life signs on the patreon page but still...
I ran out of money to continue paying for web hosting out of pocket unfortunately!
I'll try to get a new website and wiki up at some point in the future, when my financial situation stabalizes.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
V0.41.0! (and also V0.40.0) releases!
HMAPromoMilking.png
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The latest public version is free on Itch.io!

- -

And V0.42.0 is up on Patreon!
HMABodyStatsPreg.png

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Frurose
2.70 star(s) 15 Votes