Gleemer

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2018

Here is the Italian translation
of Horton Bay Stories - Jake [v0.1.1]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan Horton Bay Stories - Jake [v0.1.1]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Here is the Italian translation
of Horton Bay Stories - Jake [v0.1.0]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan Horton Bay Stories - Jake [v0.1.0]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Italian translation

Updated: 2021-09-11
Version: 0.1.1

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
1. Not a fan of the fixed name and that we only pick a "nickname". Stuff like that pulls me out of games.

2. Also not a big fan of the "mind reading" stuff, that we as the player get to know the thoughts of other characters. Especially because the expressions of these characters are obvious enough to show us what they think. e.g. the teacher, maybe it is even more "fun" to not know that the ex-gf fucked him, but that you cant be sure about it. Try it just without the "mind reading" - then after you see her with your buddy, the player will know just by how she reacted in class that there was something.

I think that is way more intriguing than the "mind reading" stuff. - Same with Lucas and Rupert when he thinks about the girls - his expression is enough I think.

3. The faces of the girls get ugly way to often. That needs some work. The models dont look bad - you can see that in their avatar graphics, but most facial expression cause some serious trouble.

4. The cams dont work. You get the info that the girl is in the bathroom, but when you check the cam, its empty. But when you walk into the room, she is there. And when you walk into christines room at night she is sleeping, but on the cam she is fucking.

Thats my first impression. The quite ugly girls and the basic sandbox stuff puts me off to much to continue playing. Way to much walking around and stuff for me. Everything feels disconnected in these games. When you start in the book store and Gemma visits you the MC calls her "Red" - why? That wasnt a thing between them up to that point and comes form nowhere. They dont know each other that much. Same with Adel. She "says" that she bought the dress for the MC, but they met just the day before and the next morning she has that dress? o_O

Thats the problem with these sandboxes, they all (cant name one that doesnt) fail to tell an engaging and coherent story, because of all the running around and "events" that sometimes dont fit into the main narrative (they can by accident). Or the events an everything is so linear that you could just drop the "gameplay" and get the same (but better paced) result in a straight VN.

Good luck with the game, but its not for me I guess. I try "sandboxes" (they are never sandboxes, that would mean you have freedom what, when and how you do stuff, but thats not the case - they are just VNs with attached busywork) from time to time, but all of them suffer from the same problems. Some more, some less.

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah, I updated above that I found it, but didn't want to say, if you want people to work at it for a while. Had me going with two of those camera quest checkoff's I tried the one Ltop with capital P on her pass.... took a while cause I outsmarted myself a couple of times. Like going outside to see if the (shed) ladder took me up to the Hall2 camera...

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
Coming straight from the bookstore after getting the job, then heading to the clinic works 100%, as does going back on a different day. And there's really nothing else that should get anywhere near the variables used.

o_O <--- Confused.

Might have a re-think about the manner in which the map is unlocked. Not a fan of random problems that don't appear to have a logical fix!

Has anyone else experienced the Boardwalk remaining locked when on the Doc Jones quest?
I have

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I considered downloading this, but then I saw the screen previews...

Damn them bitches are ugly. Does it seem less so in game and maybe these are the worst angles?
It's mostly when they make facial expressions. Nice bodies tho, so if you can put up with a butterface thing for a while...you may enjoy it.

Reactions: Kjct

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
1. Not a fan of the fixed name and that we only pick a "nickname". Stuff like that pulls me out of games.

2. Also not a big fan of the "mind reading" stuff, that we as the player get to know the thoughts of other characters. Especially because the expressions of these characters are obvious enough to show us what they think. e.g. the teacher, maybe it is even more "fun" to not know that the ex-gf fucked him, but that you cant be sure about it. Try it just without the "mind reading" - then after you see her with your buddy, the player will know just by how she reacted in class that there was something.

I think that is way more intriguing than the "mind reading" stuff. - Same with Lucas and Rupert when he thinks about the girls - his expression is enough I think.

3. The faces of the girls get ugly way to often. That needs some work. The models dont look bad - you can see that in their avatar graphics, but most facial expression cause some serious trouble.

4. The cams dont work. You get the info that the girl is in the bathroom, but when you check the cam, its empty. But when you walk into the room, she is there. And when you walk into christines room at night she is sleeping, but on the cam she is fucking.

Thats my first impression. The quite ugly girls and the basic sandbox stuff puts me off to much to continue playing. Way to much walking around and stuff for me. Everything feels disconnected in these games. When you start in the book store and Gemma visits you the MC calls her "Red" - why? That wasnt a thing between them up to that point and comes form nowhere. They dont know each other that much. Same with Adel. She "says" that she bought the dress for the MC, but they met just the day before and the next morning she has that dress? o_O

Thats the problem with these sandboxes, they all (cant name one that doesnt) fail to tell an engaging and coherent story, because of all the running around and "events" that sometimes dont fit into the main narrative (they can by accident). Or the events an everything is so linear that you could just drop the "gameplay" and get the same (but better paced) result in a straight VN.

Good luck with the game, but its not for me I guess. I try "sandboxes" (they are never sandboxes, that would mean you have freedom what, when and how you do stuff, but thats not the case - they are just VNs with attached busywork) from time to time, but all of them suffer from the same problems. Some more, some less.
Body language is a skill some of us studied for specific purposes, and others of us, actually have above above average or extra senses that clue us in to probabilities. So, what you contribute maybe classified as a hasty generalization fallacy.

Kaed1107

Jun 10, 2017
The essential problem with sandbox games is that most of them are empty (at least at the beginning), the lack of content and the player not knowing where to go to see the current available content can be frustrating for some people and even more if you don't have anything to warn you about already saw all available content. Even thought if you can cover those points some people only by seeing the sandbox tag will make them skip the project. Hope you can make this project of yours work.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
The essential problem with sandbox games is that most of them are empty (at least at the beginning), the lack of content and the player not knowing where to go to see the current available content can be frustrating for some people and even more if you don't have anything to warn you about already saw all available content. Even thought if you can cover those points some people only by seeing the sandbox tag will make them skip the project. Hope you can make this project of yours work.
Agreed. A game that I think does it pretty well is Apartment 69. I'm not sure it's a true sandbox, but the way it shows markers on the map of where people are, as well as the way it displays quests/events, make the game really easy to use and enjoyable.

tazaaron

Donor
Oct 18, 2019
Very Ambitious, need to see more for a good take on things but the overall idea is there. Some of the faces do need to be cleaned up, im not sure how some of them made it threw quality control but thats not hard to fix up.

The scale of things and a straight forward story with no magic and dragons is what drives it forward. Not a fan of sandbox, i barely let this one pass because of it but as said the scale of the story gives it some weight. I can see in a few updates as the world is expanded and if maybe a few adjustments are made that things can really take a leap forward.

Hope to see more.

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
I prefer sandbox games. Discovery and experimentation. Making choices about what I want to do. Trying out different things.

Way better than the standard VN where you're basically just reading a book with the occasional chose your own adventure branching element.

The sheer size of the map in this game is great. And the massive number of characters in the phone. If all the locations actually get used and all those characters show up in game then this would be the greatest sandbox game of them all.

I'm rooting for you Horton Bay. Keep impressing me!

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
There's a lot of comments about the faces being ugly, but not much detail why. Let's take a look

ugly_face.png

One viewer mentioned some commercial product to smooth out the wrinkles from expressions. Maybe the good money you spend might take care of the forehead gone Star Trek Cardassian, but that's by far not the biggest problem here. It's a matter of proportions. Do an internet search for "facial beauty proportions" and you will see a metric fuckton of sites about "The Golden Ratio". Simply put, this girl's face lives out on the fringes.

Her eyes are too small, and we all know beady eyed people can't be trusted.

Her eyebrows are about two feet above where they should be, and that gives a permanent suggestion of shock, panic and/or fear.

The mouth is recessed causing a pronounced ridge line against the chin. This is a gaunt look suggesting malnutrition, starvation and/or disease.

The hair drawn back in a ponytail makes for a large amount of real estate for the forehead that makes the face (and thus the eyes) look small on the head. That and the ears that seem to be so far back, they are in another zip code totally blow out the Golden Rule ratios. This girl could be more akin to a space alien trying to blend in than a human at this point.

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
There's a lot of comments about the faces being ugly, but not much detail why. Let's take a look

View attachment 1402340

One viewer mentioned some commercial product to smooth out the wrinkles from expressions. Maybe the good money you spend might take care of the forehead gone Star Trek Cardassian, but that's by far not the biggest problem here. It's a matter of proportions. Do an internet search for "facial beauty proportions" and you will see a metric fuckton of sites about "The Golden Ratio". Simply put, this girl's face lives out on the fringes.

Her eyes are too small, and we all know beady eyed people can't be trusted.

Her eyebrows are about two feet above where they should be, and that gives a permanent suggestion of shock, panic and/or fear.

The mouth is recessed causing a pronounced ridge line against the chin. This is a gaunt look suggesting malnutrition, starvation and/or disease.

The hair drawn back in a ponytail makes for a large amount of real estate for the forehead that makes the face (and thus the eyes) look small on the head. That and the ears that seem to be so far back, they are in another zip code totally blow out the Golden Rule ratios. This girl could be more akin to a space alien trying to blend in than a human at this point.

My mc still smashed lololol

• Haha
Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
My mc still smashed lololol
Same. Her body is pretty awesome. I do agree with what that poster said, though. There are improvements to be made and I'm sure this type of feedback will be listened to and hopefully they find a way to improve. I think Adel, face aside, is one of the more desirable characters.

omnifill

Jun 3, 2017
Same. Her body is pretty awesome. I do agree with what that poster said, though. There are improvements to be made and I'm sure this type of feedback will be listened to and hopefully they find a way to improve. I think Adel, face aside, is one of the more desirable characters.
in my case it was the smiles that get me, their to wide ( and its the only thing i cannot ignore because it surpasses the unkanie valliy for me.

and this was comming from a guy who was not expecting absolute buety in this game. hes doing a semi realistic collage town with realistic people in it. their not going to all be 10 out of 10s your going to get a good amount of 5-7s

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

CubeD

Aug 1, 2021
I gave it a try but I cannot deal with the faces and especially their expressions. I hope, at some point, you will fix the renders so I can give the game a better go.
For now though I have to bow out but thank you for making an continuing to develop the game.

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
Is it just me but that house is massive or is everything made with a wide angled lens in mind. Some shots are realistic.
I dont normally play sandboxes but I gave this one a go. It just confirms what I dont like about them. Empty most of the time with no depth. This one has a very good hint and cheat system which cuts down the repetitive actions required but it lacks the intensity achieved by most VN's.
The women are ugly with often terrible bodies.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
hes doing a semi realistic collage town with realistic people in it. their not going to all be 10 out of 10s your going to get a good amount of 5-7s
I quite like this, myself. I also like how they're not all big tits and big ass. A good variety.

Taka@LumphornGames

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
I'd like to say for the record that I will be updating some previous renders to fix expressions on some of the characters.
It's not all going to be fixed at once because it'll take too much time away from creating new content, however I will be picking away at it over the course of the game's development.

I know it's a big deal for a lot of you, and it will be fixed in time.

As for future content, I will be paying more attention to this.

3.30 star(s) 60 Votes