micojive

Oct 2, 2017
In addition to what the fine people above have already said, your post shows you have no idea what Patreon is, and what patrons are actually paying for. They are not paying for the dev to complete a game, they are paying to support the dev, as flaviopaganini excellently details, while getting certain perks as a result. I have handily copied the top three tiers for this particular game:
View attachment 3892292
As you can see, patrons here will receive preferential access to the latest version, voting rights, some extra scenes, etc. You'll notice how none of the tiers say anything about the game being completed, so what is the bit they advertised but didn't follow through on?

Patreon, for these creators, is about supporting developers who can use your support to, for instance, upgrade their machines to allow them to better create their game. I think you just have different, and incorrect, expectations about what Patreon actually is.
Sure, thats great and I hope the people that have given money to these devs for unfinished products are happy with that payment.

Like I said, I just dont give money to people for them to mess around with their hobbies. I dont give money to the dude on the golfing range so he can hit another bucket of balls, I wont give a dude waiting in line to a movie 15 bucks so he can see it on me. If a dev wants to make a game and release it, great I will pay for it.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Sure, thats great and I hope the people that have given money to these devs for unfinished products are happy with that payment.

Like I said, I just dont give money to people for them to mess around with their hobbies. I dont give money to the dude on the golfing range so he can hit another bucket of balls, I wont give a dude waiting in line to a movie 15 bucks so he can see it on me. If a dev wants to make a game and release it, great I will pay for it.
Oh my. You still don't get it, do you? You DON'T BUY THE GAME on Patreon. You give credit for the developement if you like it. That's it. Period. If that's not for you so be it. But please stop the whining for the "unfinished game" payments. Well, what should I actually expect from someone seeing a game as a "product"...

mintymuz

Apr 8, 2024

There's a couple of differences here, with both parts of what you're saying. Firstly, on the Patreon bit, the Patrons know what they're signing up for, they choose their level of support based on what they want to pay and what perks they want to receive. They know they are not paying for a completed game, but to support the dev on their way towards that. So yes, I imagine there will be disappointment, but it's not the case that they've paid for something they've not then received.

On your second point, if you pay someone to go to the golfing range, you don't get anything out of it. If you pay someone to go watch a movie, you don't get anything out of it. You are paying people to do their hobbies, as you say. This is not the same at all. Patrons are not paying the devs to "mess around with their hobbies" they are getting something in return, including the updates of the game that you, as presumably a freeloader, are also getting.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
There's a couple of differences here, with both parts of what you're saying. Firstly, on the Patreon bit, the Patrons know what they're signing up for, they choose their level of support based on what they want to pay and what perks they want to receive. They know they are not paying for a completed game, but to support the dev on their way towards that. So yes, I imagine there will be disappointment, but it's not the case that they've paid for something they've not then received.

On your second point, if you pay someone to go to the golfing range, you don't get anything out of it. If you pay someone to go watch a movie, you don't get anything out of it. You are paying people to do their hobbies, as you say. This is not the same at all. Patrons are not paying the devs to "mess around with their hobbies" they are getting something in return, including the updates of the game that you, as presumably a freeloader, are also getting.
Its just talking in circles and not worth continuing. If you find value in patreon I'm happy for you. I just do not and think its just brought on a shit ton of "devs" who are looking to make a quick buck and when things dont instantly pop off for them they just bail or move on to something else.

Sin_Mechero

Mar 27, 2022
You are a hypocrite, you don't support and after 3 years of development you say that the developer is leaving because he doesn't have instant remuneration? What you don't realise is that with that mentality you are a vulture, and if everyone was like you, you wouldn't be able to play anything because there would be no game at all.
Its just talking in circles and not worth continuing. If you find value in patreon I'm happy for you. I just do not and think its just brought on a shit ton of "devs" who are looking to make a quick buck and when things dont instantly pop off for them they just bail or move on to something else.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
You are a hypocrite, you don't support and after 3 years of development you say that the developer is leaving because he doesn't have instant remuneration? What you don't realise is that with that mentality you are a vulture, and if everyone was like you, you wouldn't be able to play anything because there would be no game at all.
Correct, I dont support devs who dont finish products and dont finish games.

I do support devs who complete games, or who have in the past and have shown they wont just bail. Like already said, I have no problem spending 20-30 bucks on an indie game on steam or something for a finished product, but no way am I giving money without a completed product in return.

Reactions: Tipster

Sin_Mechero

Mar 27, 2022

I do support devs who complete games, or who have in the past and have shown they wont just bail. Like already said, I have no problem spending 20-30 bucks on an indie game on steam or something for a finished product, but no way am I giving money without a completed product in return.
A game has a lot of costs and they are only made by one person, they are not a company, it is very selfish to think like you do and download it during its development for free. That's why most of them don't finish it. It's very easy to criticize someone and wait to enjoy their product for free.
Because of course you work for free

Reactions: Beerus

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020

Strange. You would only buy the "product" when it's finished (I actually don't belive you with that, but anyway). And don't support unfinished ones like this game. But of course you download and play those unfinished ones for free here, which actually only exists because it's payed from others. So far that behaviour would be still ok, we are actually talking in a pirate forum. But instead being happy others payed for your free (unfinished) game download you also feel the urge to almost badmouth those who do that. That's selfish af for me. Well, you probably won't change your mind (and behaviour). So please buy those "products" where ever you want. But leave those threads alone with the "unfinished products" which in your mind should not exist anyway. Have a nice day.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
A game has a lot of costs and they are only made by one person, they are not a company, it is very selfish to think like you do and download it during its development for free. That's why most of them don't finish it. It's very easy to criticize someone and wait to enjoy their product for free.
Because of course you work for free
Hate to break it to you, this is a fucking pirate site devoted to pirating games for free. Get off your high horse

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
Strange. You would only buy the "product" when it's finished (I actually don't belive you with that, but anyway). And don't support unfinished ones like this game. But of course you download and play those unfinished ones for free here, which actually only exists because it's payed from others. So far that behaviour would be still ok, we are actually talking in a pirate forum. But instead being happy others payed for your free (unfinished) game download you also feel the urge to almost badmouth those who do that. That's selfish af for me. Well, you probably won't change your mind (and behaviour). So please buy those "products" where ever you want. But leave those threads alone with the "unfinished products" which in your mind should not exist anyway. Have a nice day.
I'm sure you are a paying customer for every game you get off this site as well and are only here for the riveting conversations.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
I'm sure you are a paying customer for every game you get off this site as well and are only here for the riveting conversations.
No, I only do that with five games so far. Can't support oc all of them. But I also don't shit on developers how they gain their payments. I'm actually happy others did that "for me" so I can still download and play them here on F95. Only you are so eager to point out they should not be paid before finishing it (= most of these games probably would not exist). Well, you do you. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Beerus and Alfius

Sin_Mechero

Mar 27, 2022
Hate to break it to you, this is a fucking pirate site devoted to pirating games for free. Get off your high horse
Even though this is a pirate site, as hard as it may be for you to believe it, many people on this site support the developers and use this site to discover new games or comment on games they like, because if there is no support there is no game, and people understand that.
But the worst thing is that you complain when they abandon it, when it's because of people like you that they can't keep up with development.

Reactions: juliank and Beerus

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
1000% this. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Justausername123456

Apr 21, 2021
Oh my. You still don't get it, do you? You DON'T BUY THE GAME on Patreon. You give credit for the developement if you like it. That's it. Period. If that's not for you so be it. But please stop the whining for the "unfinished game" payments.
You are correct, in that Patreon is more about supporting development, and not necessarily about the final product. It's not dissimilar from Kickstarter, in that regard. However....

Well, what should I actually expect from someone seeing a game as a "product"...
No matter your opinion about Patreon, the game - finished or not - is still a product. As such, I can understand some people who won't support developers that don't or won't finish the game. I'm not referring to this particular dev (I haven't paid attention to the circumstances), just commenting in general.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
You are correct, in that Patreon is more about supporting development, and not necessarily about the final product. It's not dissimilar from Kickstarter, in that regard. However....

No matter your opinion about Patreon, the game - finished or not - is still a product. As such, I can understand some people who won't support developers that don't or won't finish the game. I'm not referring to this particular dev (I haven't paid attention to the circumstances), just commenting in general.
Is a game a "product"? Probably yes. But do I name it so? Definitely not. I also do not say that in the first place to a movie or an art. Would be like saying to your frind "Hey, let's go to the cinemas and watch that new product".

But that was not the point here. If someone sees a game as that so be it. Also I can understand that quite some don't want to use Patreon/Subscribestar/ByMeaCoffe and so on. But what I did not found correct was the badmouthing about that way to support a developer for his game. For me it's probably the only way for an indie adult developer to gain some money for his work. Waiting for a finished game to get payment would imo only result in small game junks already called finished then - like we already have on steam with those "seasons" or "chapters" from certain games...

4.20 star(s) 108 Votes