VN Ren'Py How I Became the Bodyguard of the Saintess! [v0.6] [Lunardis]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
Does anyone know what the incest patch does? I add it and it change from childhood friend to big bro.
It changes the relationship between the MC and Angelica from childhood friends to brother and sister. So instead of talking about each other as childhood friends, they'll call each other Bro and Sis, they get referred to as brother and sister rather than childhood friends by others / the game, and Angelica's mother is mom to them both.
---------

For what it's worth to Lunardis - I know I can only speak for myself (and not condemning /attacking/criticizing anyone who feels differently), but Melope's story has not ruined Theresa as a LI for me. I fully expected the knights and captain to act the way they did, I personally felt there was foreshadowing and warning in the main section that this is the kind of situation that would happen.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing how Melope's story plays out in regards to the conflict with both Blackheart and the Knights. I'm also interested in seeing Theresa's arc, because I really feel that can be used to really drive home just how much control the PM has over Theresa and the knights... and the MC struggling to help them break free of that while also dealing with whatever the God of Darkness throw's their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: notBatman747

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
I think the problem with Theresa being the PM's bitch is really that we have no sense of scale here. For most of the story Theresa was shown as being the boss, the one to make decisions. She was shown to be a strong warrior, second only to Ange, even if that is not true anymore. The PM is an old woman with two guys with shades. While guys with shades can be serious business irl, there are often fodder in stories like these. Why is the PM so respected? What does her position actually entail? What sort of forces does she command directly because she is obviously not a knight. I think the PM needed some character development way before the routes started, to show that there is more to her than having the ability of being rude against people that stand there and take it. Maybe this will happen during Theresa's route (I certainly hope we still get one) and maybe doing it before would be considered filler by some fans but really, she should have had a bit more screentime if she was going to be an important antagonist.
I thought I'd give some background info on the Prime Minister, her role, how she got where she is, that sort of thing. I'm just not sure how.

Still, there's something I don't understand in your questioning (which others have done too). For me, it feels it's like:

"Why doesn't the knight who lives her life with the idea of honor, who cares very much about her oath to the country she's sworn to protect, doesn't simply kill the prime minister, the woman who's been elected as a leader?"

I don't know, I feel like the answer is pretty obvious, no?

To put it another way, Theresa is an interesting character for me because she confronts her ideal with the harsh reality. She chooses to be a knight, convinced that she can do good by serving a just and righteous leader. And then she finds herself with the Prime Minister at the head of the country, someone who is far from what she wanted. And yet, she is the Prime Minister her country has chosen.

I suppose people would want her to leave, but that would mean leaving Angelica alone, and it would mean giving up doing what she's wanted to do all her life, protecting the people of her country from the various threats they face.

There's more to say about her, but that's for other chapters. I'm not sure it helps much, but... that's how the dynamic between the PM and Theresa works for me. A good person who is forced to serve a bad person. And is still trying to do some good. That kind of idea.

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I've more or less got something like that in mind. In Theresa route, but also in Melope part 2. There's a bit more behind Theresa than what you've seen so far. We'll see if that's enough to rehabilitate her character...

And thanks by the way, I'm really glad you liked the update :giggle:

Reactions: Shadowen

Shenhan

Apr 7, 2018
I downloaded this update and when I load my game it just takes me to a screen saying this is the end of V0.6.

Do I need to redownload or something, what's happening here?

Reactions: LastOne24/7

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021

Who says the PM doesn't have a video of Angelica and the MC kissing, ready to be be used when she feels the need?

You're right that there are contrarians that would protest against the Prime Minister's propaganda. The problem here is more narrative, introducing these characters wouldn't add anything interesting to the story I have in mind, and would take screen time to introduce, develop etc... so I think it's better not to mention them. Of course, if it's really a problem for a lot of people, I'll probably do something about it, but so far it doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Shadowen

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
I downloaded this update and when I load my game it just takes me to a screen saying this is the end of V0.6.

Do I need to redownload or something, what's happening here?
This update concerns Melope. You must load a save when Chaos suggests you to open the door, when MC dreams, and choose Melope. Angelica's story will continue later.

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
Salut, je vais essayer de répondre à quelques uns tes points :

j'avais conscience pour Melope que le fait de se vendre sexuellement, comme tu le dis, pourrait déplaire. L'idée ici est de montrer une Melope complètement déconnecter de ce qui est normal ou pas en amour. Elle ne comprends pas comment ça marche, elle n’imagine pas pouvoir être aimer, et comme elle a en tête que ses précédentes réincarnations étaient très doués pour séduire les hommes, elle se rabat sur ce qu'elle pense comprendre. Principalement parce qu'elle ne veut surtout pas voir le personnage principal s'en aller.

Mais encore une fois, j'avais en tête que ce serait difficile à bien exprimer, donc oui, je comprends bien que ça puisse gêner.

Et oui, je vais sans doute changer la scène de l'arbre. C'est difficille parfois d'avoir du recul sur ce que l'on fait, mais déja je sentais en editant que c'était un peu gros, sans arriver vraiment à juger jusqu'à quel point. Ton retour, et le fait d'avoir travailler sur un autre chapitre entre temps, et donc d'avoir un peu de recul; me font dire que oui, il va falloir changer ça.

Merci pour ton commentaire. Toujours interressé pour avoir des retours négatif quand c'est fait de façon contructives pour m'améliorer ;)

LastOne24/7

Dec 29, 2020
This update concerns Melope. You must load a save when Chaos suggests you to open the door, when MC dreams, and choose Melope. Angelica's story will continue later.
I'm sorry, I may be dense, but that doesn't make any sense at all. I have my last save, but really, how do I get BACK to THAT?

Lunardis

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2021
I'm sorry, I may be dense, but that doesn't make any sense at all. I have my last save, but really, how do I get BACK to THAT?
Sorry, if you didn’t make any save at this point, you have to start again. It’s not as terrible as it sound, with the skip function, you should get to the new content with something around 10 minutes, I think... (I’m quite experienced at this, every time I make a new version, I restart the game several times, to check I didn’t break anything)

Just create a save when Chaos appears in front of the MC this time. You’ll see a choice to force destiny, and then to choose the girl you want to see the path. That’s when you have to choose Melope if you want to look at her story.

Shenhan

Apr 7, 2018
Just create a save when Chaos appears in front of the MC this time. You’ll see a choice to force destiny, and then to choose the girl you want to see the path. That’s when you have to choose Melope if you want to look at her story.

Does that make it an optional pathway? As in if I select the Melope option I'll miss out on the others? I'm only asking to see if it will make sense for me to go back and check it out or just carry on with my current playthough and wait for the next update to come through.

Reactions: LastOne24/7

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
Still, there's something I don't understand in your questioning (which others have done too). For me, it feels it's like:

"Why doesn't the knight who lives her life with the idea of honor, who cares very much about her oath to the country she's sworn to protect, doesn't simply kill the prime minister, the woman who's been elected as a leader?"
I think part of the reason isn't just that we don't understand the PM's reach and power but also we don't know what this oath is. If it's an oath to protect this country then I think that it is a real good basis to kill the PM. Her subversion of the saintess is an affront to their goddess. Her refusing Princess Saki and Melope undermines the country's security in the middle of one of its worst crises ever. Her threats against the saintess and other knights while they're facing an unprecedented threat undermines the nation's security. If she actually followed through on her threats against Angie then the whole nation would likely be wiped out before a new saintess was even born. Demanding the arrest of one of the nations top 4 security assets during this crisis undermines their security, even worse that it ends up 2 of the nations top 4 assets immediately after. The PM is the single most dangerous enemy to the nation's security at this moment.
On the other hand if the oath is to uphold the nation's democracy then well... It makes sense not to kill the PM, but the oath seems to be utterly fucking useless during this current crisis and anyone who prioritizes it probably has some weak ideals.

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
This is an age old question. What should the Guard/Army/Whatever Militant Branch of the governent do when it seems like the head abuses power? In modern political systems there tend to be checks and balances which could be employed without turning to treason, but of course these things cause extreme upheaval and at the very least they require huge support and a good reason to be initiated.

I won't fault the Knights for doing PM's bidding. I will only fault them for using underhanded tactics and trying to play MC for fool. If they had succeeded, it would have only emboldened the PM. There exists some things that the Knights as an organization aren't capable of.

In the earlier stages of the game, that would be acceptable, but it's like MC says, "not anymore". The balance has been tipped in favor of MC, the PM does not care about morale and I expect that the next move would be for MC to consolidate his influence with Angelica, the Princess, and eventually the Knights too.

The knights will eventually have to face the S threats. That's what they signed up for in the first place. Most of them don't give a shit about the PM as I understand it, and once the population sees things for what they are, I doubt that the PM will be capable of mobilizing enough forces to threaten Lumina's agents.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Lunardis

undead_sun

Jan 24, 2021
I thought I'd give some background info on the Prime Minister, her role, how she got where she is, that sort of thing. I'm just not sure how.

I don't know, I feel like the answer is pretty obvious, no?

To put it another way, Theresa is an interesting character for me because she confronts her ideal with the harsh reality. She chooses to be a knight, convinced that she can do good by serving a just and righteous leader. And then she finds herself with the Prime Minister at the head of the country, someone who is far from what she wanted. And yet, she is the Prime Minister her country has chosen.

I suppose people would want her to leave, but that would mean leaving Angelica alone, and it would mean giving up doing what she's wanted to do all her life, protecting the people of her country from the various threats they face.

There's more to say about her, but that's for other chapters. I'm not sure it helps much, but... that's how the dynamic between the PM and Theresa works for me. A good person who is forced to serve a bad person. And is still trying to do some good. That kind of idea.
I don't much care about the issues others have with Theresa, I like her even like this. And I think you did a pretty good job with her, even if you could have done a bit more to show her inner conflict and the PM's power. I was just trying to give a different perspective about the situation because if my post did not make it obvious, I thought the problem comes more from the PM character.

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes