CoffeeSaint

Mar 12, 2022
what does " in a scent" means??
hey, Isthechungus,

"In a scent" is neither an expression nor a saying — at least not in English.

as a noun scent means, "a distinctive smell, especially one that is pleasant;" figuratively, however, it means a hint, a suggestion, a trace," and so forth.
as a verb, there other meanings as well: to smell, to detect, to sense, to perceive, to recognize, etc.
I, nevertheless, believe the author tried to pun: "In a scent" as a pun for "Innocent."

hope this helped.
cheers.

Last edited:

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1655225704030.png
Dev Talk - $ solves everything

So I'm full swing rendering in Octane and constantly running into an out of memory bug and crashing. I thought I found a solution for this bug in the past but turns out it was a situational fix. I've been super frustrated because I can only have two characters in a scene before I run out of memory. To put it in perspective, that's the same limitation I had on my GTX 1080 3 years ago.

After a lot of back and forth with Octane tech and endless nights dealing with this, I caved and tossed money at the problem. Octane for Blender is basically using 2x the memory as Cycles, super bizarre. $400 later, I'm up and running with double the memory. It sucks to pay premium price for DDR4 ram when everything will be transitioning to DDR5 in half a year but that's how the cookie crumbles.

I could have just stuck with using Cycles but I'm kind of in love with how Octane handles lighting. It just feels easier and more intuitive for me to get great results.

Check out the attached Raya's room comparison renders between Octane & Cycles. It's not a fair 1:1 comparison as the lighting setup and material shaders are a bit different, but you'll get the idea.

Octane

V1-0001_devtalk0.png

Cycles

V1-0003_devtalk0.png

Fingers crossed I don't run into any more unpleasant surprises.

Adios,
Dom

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
LOL, I hate feet but I would like them, hows the old saying go, anything before the but is meaningless.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016

View attachment 1897738

Look same me bt i blind fuker

Honestly, I think both are fine and would have no problem with either in the game.
I mean, renders should look good, but there comes a point when to me, it just doesn't matter anymore if the render gets another 10-20% better, and I would just prefer faster update progression.
Just my two cents, of course, we all have our own priorities.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Honestly, I think both are fine and would have no problem with either in the game.
I mean, renders should look good, but there comes a point when to me, it just doesn't matter anymore if the render gets another 10-20% better, and I would just prefer faster update progression.
Just my two cents, of course, we all have our own priorities.
Yeah, I agree. Just to be clear, the switch to Octane occurred because Cycles had a bug that completely broke my animations. Any animation resulted in hair turning into a strobe light. Couldn't even fix it in post. After spending a week trying to resolve it, I finally snapped and started converting everything to Octane out of frustration.

Then as I started rendering in Octane I realized that the hair system doesn't play nice with Blender. There's a straight up 5+ second for any action once hair is involved. However, redoing shaders in Octane taught me that I did some things wrong with Cycles, so I started updating materials and making a comparison. I realized that Cycles can look very similar to Octane with properly built shaders + post processing. Since then, the Blender devs fixed the hair bug for Cycles.

That's the headache of leaving the simplicity of Daz. A lot more freedom to do what I want without being confined to the Daz ecosystem but there's also a lot of room for shit to break. I have borderline PTSD every time I open a file. The training wheels are off but the roads filled with potholes.

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1656826707237.png
Dev Talk - Library Overrides

So I discovered a pretty cool feature in Blender called Library Overrides. When working on a scene, I can just reference assets in another file rather than flat out loading them in as a copy in the new file as I would previously do.
1. Save on disk space: Normally each scene file is around 2gb. By referencing an asset file, I can cut down the file size to around 20mb. This will allow me to maintain save files for each render in case I'd like to go back to re-render something.
2. Asset Management: When working on a scene, if I run into something that needs to be fixed such as bad geometry or a shader that needs to be reworked, I'd have to make the fix multiple times. Once in the active file I'm working on and once in the original. Since Library Overrides references the original file, I just open a new instance of Blender and make the correction there. The active scene I'm working on then automatically updates to include the change. This is especially useful since a lot of my environments are separate save files reusing some of the same assets. This has already proven useful as I've made fixes to materials and geometry that I overlooked originally.

The only downside is that Blender 3.2 doesn't handle Library Overrides well when it comes to characters and rigs. There is considerable lag when using them. I've tried the 3.3 alpha build and the issue is resolved there. So I won't be able to fully utilize the power of Library Overrides until a stable version of 3.3 is released.
Another cool thing I've been utilizing is a blender cloth addon called Simply Cloth. This addon allows me to make clothes right inside of Blender. I've already purchased a cloth software called Marvelous Designer and use it extensively, but for quick pieces, Simply Cloth gets the job done quickly. In the image above, I needed to give Raya a nightie for bed. I could have searched the Daz library for something to purchase, export into Blender, redo topology, create textures in Substance Painter, simulate in Marvelous Designer and then finally rig it in Blender.
With Simply Cloth, the creation, simulation and rigging happens live in Blender but the texturing still gets brought into Substance Painter. The nightie piece Raya is wearing took a total of about 30 minutes using this method.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the progress and feel that the renders in episode 2 are already a big improvement on episode 1.

Now on to some personal matter. Normally I try to keep this to myself as Devs never seem to run out of excuses and personal woes. I've had a hell of a year but this was mostly manageable until a few weeks ago. I'm now going through an estate planning battle with an declining elderly father and an evil younger stepmother trying to fleece him for everything. I didn't want to publicly mention this but it's taking up considerable time. Some days my diet has consisted of purely cigarettes' and coffee as I've had no time to eat, let alone render. I hope this matter comes to a close soon as I'd rather be working on my passion project rather than this nonsense.

That's all for now,
Dom

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, I agree. Just to be clear, the switch to Octane occurred because Cycles had a bug that completely broke my animations. Any animation resulted in hair turning into a strobe light. Couldn't even fix it in post. After spending a week trying to resolve it, I finally snapped and started converting everything to Octane out of frustration.

Then as I started rendering in Octane I realized that the hair system doesn't play nice with Blender. There's a straight up 5+ second for any action once hair is involved. However, redoing shaders in Octane taught me that I did some things wrong with Cycles, so I started updating materials and making a comparison. I realized that Cycles can look very similar to Octane with properly built shaders + post processing. Since then, the Blender devs fixed the hair bug for Cycles.

That's the headache of leaving the simplicity of Daz. A lot more freedom to do what I want without being confined to the Daz ecosystem but there's also a lot of room for shit to break. I have borderline PTSD every time I open a file. The training wheels are off but the roads filled with potholes.
Oh, sure. I read your dev updates, so I knew about the problems, wasn't a hidden attempt to tell you to hurry the fuckup with the next update. :)

Now, hurry the fuck up, with the next update. :cool:

P.S. Sorry to hear about your personal worries, hope it sorts itself out quickly.
And no smoking or drinking coffee on an empty stomach, that will give you ulcers. :)

Reactions: Domiek

Lion sB4

Feb 10, 2019
View attachment 1618713

Overview:
The touch of an incubus is said to lower the inhibitions of humans, emboldening them to freely act on their desires.
A young incubus is cut off from his father's wealth until he proves himself to be worthy of his ancestors.
Panicked and ill-prepared, he screams "I'm your long lost son" when confronted by the first family he encounters in the human realm.​

Thread Updated: 2022-01-29
Release Date: 2022-01-29
Developer: Domiek - - -
Censored: No
Version: 1.0
Language: English
Other Games: Personal Trainer
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: - - -
WORKUPLOAD
Other: ANDROID

Extra:
Fan sig

*This unofficial port/version is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 1618707 View attachment 1618709 View attachment 1618710 View attachment 1618711 View attachment 1618712 View attachment 1619984 View attachment 1618705 View attachment 1618706 View attachment 1618703 View attachment 1618704
When is the chapter 2 realse

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
hey, Isthechungus,

"In a scent" is neither an expression nor a saying — at least not in English.

as a noun scent means, "a distinctive smell, especially one that is pleasant;" figuratively, however, it means a hint, a suggestion, a trace," and so forth.
as a verb, there other meanings as well: to smell, to detect, to sense, to perceive, to recognize, etc.
I, nevertheless, believe the author tried to pun: "In a scent" as a pun for "Innocent."

hope this helped.
cheers.
Spot on. Scent/smell is a key element around this story that also heavily emphasizes corruption.

I want to know will this end like personal trainer?
I'm guessing you're referring to an unsatisfying ending? Person Trainer was a sandbox of loose mini-stories. This game is heavily story focused with the ending already written and storyboarded since last year.

Does the game has a lot of choices and does the choices matter for the game or its a linear path?
The game is heavily story focused so it's linear. There are and will be choices that alter the flavor of how MC interacts with others, but the road still leads to the same conclusion.

The stories been written with a specific ending in mind and the journey there relies on a lot of key moments and call backs. I'm not talented enough to write multiple unique paths that would lead to the same coherent final chapter.

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

ma dev talk.png

Dev Talk - Sculpting Juice

Been a pretty busy week just rendering and writing out the script. There's not much to update or discuss as things have been thankfully going rather smoothly with no major issues popping up. Well, I did accidentally delete all of my renders for the day but fortunately was able to recover most of them later. I've setup automatic backup to avoid that nightmare again.

Stepped up my modeling game ever so slightly when I realized there were a couple assets needed for a scene but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the asset stores. The models came out looking pretty decent but I'll definitely need to do a modeling course eventually.

Now that I'm getting into the sexier part of the story, I've realized that the "sexy renders" were looking kind of boring. I've now started manually sculpting curves/juice whenever needed. This definitely makes scene preparation take longer but I think the curves are worth it. This is most noticeable with breasts/ass/thighs. Why else have a thicc Ma if we can't fully appreciate her juice?
1661607019858.png

Gotta have that juice, baby!
Dom

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 122 Votes