3.70 star(s) 38 Votes

archedio

Modder
Apr 18, 2019
Like Aereon said below, you can try running the Ren’py 8 SDK test game to see if it’s an issue specific to IWH, or if it applies to all of Ren’py 8.

Yap, I can't run renpy 8 SDK too.
I already looking around their website, seems like that renpy version is still regularly getting updated?
Why would you switch to version of renpy that still isnt stable?
I mean the prev version of renpy works perfectly.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Yap, I can't run renpy 8 SDK too.
I already looking around their website, seems like that renpy version is still regularly getting updated?
Why would you switch to version of renpy that still isnt stable?
I mean the prev version of renpy works perfectly.
The Dev modified the standard renpy to keep people from being able to easily bypass the password. I personally don't fault him for that, especially since he eventually releases it here. I don't mind waiting.

archedio

Modder
Apr 18, 2019
The Dev modified the standard renpy to keep people from being able to easily bypass the password. I personally don't fault him for that, especially since he eventually releases it here. I don't mind waiting.
Isnt the latest version is a public version? It say so in the title.
Why would we still need to wait?

gilgamesh9

Sep 10, 2019
Isnt the latest version is a public version? It say so in the title.
Why would we still need to wait?
He hooks people into supporting by locking everything behind a patreon password. Even if you wait and get the public version it never matters because you still cant use the gallery or anything without it.

kurailxix

Modder
Oct 21, 2018
gallery is only for the $15 patreons, thats why it never gets leaked, its a smaller pool of people who are more supportive

archedio

Modder
Apr 18, 2019
He hooks people into supporting by locking everything behind a patreon password. Even if you wait and get the public version it never matters because you still cant use the gallery or anything without it.
Then a public version isnt exactly "public", is that what you mean?
Its just a "demo" for a demo.
Damn what a clean scam LMAO.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
You get updates for free, only they are delayed from those who pay for it. Not sure why that would be seen as a scam, as most devs do something similar. The difference here is this guy has the technical ability to enforce it.

Reactions: Burgundy

Devious

Jul 20, 2017
Archedio’s problem isn’t caused by Fallen’s modification, it’s because of Ren’py 8 which is very much brand new and has increased system and software requirements. If he couldn’t run the Official Ren’py 8 SDK, then he’ll have to wait for Ren’py to clarify what might be wrong for Windows 7 users.

Reactions: clowns234

Devious

Jul 20, 2017
Unfortunately, it would seem that you won’t be able to play any future Ren’py 8 games until there’s further clarification on what Ren’py 8’s full system and software requirements are. Ren’py is moving support away from older OS-types like their discontinued support of Windows 32-bit and 32-bit Linux.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Archedio’s problem isn’t caused by Fallen’s modification, it’s because of Ren’py 8 which is very much brand new and has increased system and software requirements. If he couldn’t run the Official Ren’py 8 SDK, then he’ll have to wait for Ren’py to clarify what might be wrong for Windows 7 users.
Ok. Thanks for the info.

archedio

Modder
Apr 18, 2019
You get updates for free, only they are delayed from those who pay for it. Not sure why that would be seen as a scam, as most devs do something similar. The difference here is this guy has the technical ability to enforce it.
Now now, that's not true and you know it.
For one, I don't mind waiting.
Second, like the other guy said :
"He hooks people into supporting by locking everything behind a patreon password. Even if you wait and get the public version it never matters because you still cant use the gallery or anything without it."
MOST dev does not have something locked behind paypal in their public/free version.
What do you say to that?

EDIT : And yeah, I can't run any renpy 8 games in my 64 bit OS Win 7. Which I dont understand why the dev use it. I mean, Renpy 8 is still constantly beeing updated, which mean not stable yet.

Last edited:

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Like the other guy said :
"He hooks people into supporting by locking everything behind a patreon password. Even if you wait and get the public version it never matters because you still cant use the gallery or anything without it."
MOST dev does not have something locked behind paypal in their public/free version.
What do you say to that?

EDIT : And yeah, I can't run any renpy 8 games in my 64 bit OS Win 7. Which I dont understand why the dev use it. I mean, Renpy 8 is still constantly beeing updated, which mean not stable yet.
I don't pay anything and I follow the story that progresses every update. I tend not to use galleries, so for me that is not a big deal. Many (most?) devs give their patrons early access. It's just that most have no control if it gets leaked early. This dev has that control.

Reactions: RyogoTM

Devious

Jul 20, 2017
Like the other guy said :
What do you say to that?

The only thing locked away on the free version is the gallery. The only content you can’t access, other than the gallery, is the latest version on Patreon. Most Patreon devs keep the free version one version behind, so this isn’t anything new.
Also, the password screen only appears on the Patreon version, so if you’re actually using the official Public version you won’t ever see the password screen.

As for the decision to use Ren’py 8, well, it supports newer Python and has VSC support, so I assume more devs are gonna move their games to Ren’py 8.

archedio

Modder
Apr 18, 2019
I don't pay anything and I follow the story that progresses every update. I tend not to use galleries, so for me that is not a big deal. Many (most?) devs give their patrons early access. It's just that most have no control if it gets leaked early. This dev has that control.
I sincerely do not understand why you keep bringing early access to this conversation, dear fellow member of F95.
I'm talking about the public/free version beeing not exatcly free/public.
I mean, a gallery is one of the most essential aspect of a renpy game, correct?

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
I sincerely do not understand why you keep bringing early access to this conversation, dear fellow member of F95.
I'm talking about the public/free version beeing not exatcly free/public.
I mean, a gallery is one of the most essential aspect of a renpy game, correct?
As I said, a gallery is not a big deal to me. Most of the complaints I see here are over the password, which by design, keeps people from seeing the early access.

3.70 star(s) 38 Votes