SymbolicFrank

May 18, 2023
I don't think you understand what the poll is about. It's about how many dress up options the models have. The first option is that there's a limited amount of options, fitting the character (meaning less options, thus less work) while the second is disregarding the personality and having them wear whatever (and thus having more options and more work).
Like, in the first case, there are just a few outfits and you cannot choose, while in the second there are lots of pieces of clothing and you can dress them up as you like? While everything else stays the same?

Or is it, that in both cases there is the same amount of clothes, but there is a separate story plot required to unlock each outfit in the first case, as well as one to get the girl to wear it?

So, the first option has less choice. The second option can be a bit more work than the first one, or the first one can be a massive amount more work than the second one. It depends on your interpretation.

In Witch Trainer, the animations are mostly tiny and low-res. An afterthought. All the content is in the large portraits with clothing options. Ok, and a few bonus animations. That's why one man could make it.

And let's not forget that it's almost certainly based on this:

A five minute parody. Expanded to cover hours and hours of about the same amount of content? With a bit of previous games and other characters sprinkled in.

Last edited:

SuddenReal

Jun 21, 2017
Like, in the first case, there are just a few outfits and you cannot choose, while in the second there are lots of pieces of clothing and you can dress them up as you like? While everything else stays the same?

Or is it, that in both cases there is the same amount of clothes, but there is a separate story plot required to unlock each outfit in the first case, as well as one to get the girl to wear it?

So, the first option has less choice. The second option can be a bit more work than the first one, or the first one can be a massive amount more work than the second one. It depends on your interpretation.
The first one, not the second, since the thing actually says "complete freedom".

In Witch Trainer, the animations are mostly tiny and low-res. An afterthought. All the content is in the large portraits with clothing options. Ok, and a few bonus animations. That's why one man could make it.
Yes, there they went for the dress-up route, while here they went for the story route. Why compete with the same product when you can offer something different?

cloud8521

Jan 2, 2019
Well, there's your problem. If it takes you guys months to do a single animation and the demand is for a full-fledged, animated story for every character, with lots of different choices and consequences, you need about a hundred employees and a few years time. And the budget to pay for all that.

So, either give up or come up with a manageable scope.

You might have a lot of free money now, but that will run out. And it seems you guys do want to make it into a success. So make something that you can actually deliver. And start with reusing all the assets you already have.
Start with reusing animations, but once you get to a certain point, you can go back and add new animations to the reused stuff.

essentially, put out content, then come back to clean it up. You don't have to make a perfect scene with every push.

Reactions: SymbolicFrank

DaddyDraven

Jun 19, 2020
I get
ImportError: cannot import name 'find_loaded_variables' from 'renpy.atl' (/Users/Deluxe/Desktop/renpy-8.1.2-sdk/renpy/atl.py)
trying to play the mac version.

SymbolicFrank

May 18, 2023
Only if you help us resurrect the screenwriter
Creepy.

Ok, simply put: a project lead is important. If you just have a group of people who work very hard and all do what they think is important, the result is... a lot of random stuff. You want someone who listens to all of you and comes up with something that is doable and that you all support.

If I could suggest something: take all the pictures you made so far and try to arrange them into a single, logical sequence. From "I just arrived" to "everything is possible". Group them up, take the sequences that go together and make a story about them. Create the pictures that are missing for that. Repeat until you have a fun and coherent sequence.

There's your game.

And making it fun is more important than making it take a long time to finish.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
0.9.12B (with the Halloween stuff") Looks pretty much the same as the Patreon version from what I can tell apart from the latest Ginny scene being animated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khan

J_M

Oct 8, 2017
Creepy.

Ok, simply put: a project lead is important. If you just have a group of people who work very hard and all do what they think is important, the result is... a lot of random stuff. You want someone who listens to all of you and comes up with something that is doable and that you all support.

If I could suggest something: take all the pictures you made so far and try to arrange them into a single, logical sequence. From "I just arrived" to "everything is possible". Group them up, take the sequences that go together and make a story about them. Create the pictures that are missing for that. Repeat until you have a fun and coherent sequence.

There's your game.

And making it fun is more important than making it take a long time to finish.
This is where you're wrong my friend. Did you ever hear the story of the gold laying goose? Mr. Khan here, is not idiot to complete this ... charade... I confess I stopped playing this... whatever it is today, but I shall never give up on reading this thread, best fun of all f95, I am grateful to all that complained, explained, cried and so on, it just just brightens my day reading human folly. Thank you all.

Reactions: SymbolicFrank
Oct 1, 2023
Well, there's your problem. If it takes you guys months to do a single animation and the demand is for a full-fledged, animated story for every character, with lots of different choices and consequences, you need about a hundred employees and a few years time. And the budget to pay for all that.

So, either give up or come up with a manageable scope.

You might have a lot of free money now, but that will run out. And it seems you guys do want to make it into a success. So make something that you can actually deliver. And start with reusing all the assets you already have.
I am convinced that they don't have an issue in making scenes or anything, these guys within the first months released most of the base game and then it took 5 years to just add a few scenes and minimal content, they are just milking the cow and don't want it to stop, because why risk people unsubbing once the game is complete?
They could just make the game extremely long and keep adding characters like Selebus does in Lessons in Love, but these guys are nowhere as good at making a story or actually working in their game.
Don't let "Khan" or any of his riders gaslight you for any reason, they know what they're doing, and the only way this game gets content is when people actually stop justifying these delays.
I myself stopped caring about this project years ago, I just come to the forums from time to time to laugh at the people who still defend them

DarthMalguss

Aug 7, 2019
I am convinced that they don't have an issue in making scenes or anything, these guys within the first months released most of the base game and then it took 5 years to just add a few scenes and minimal content, they are just milking the cow and don't want it to stop, because why risk people unsubbing once the game is complete?
They could just make the game extremely long and keep adding characters like Selebus does in Lessons in Love, but these guys are nowhere as good at making a story or actually working in their game.
Don't let "Khan" or any of his riders gaslight you for any reason, they know what they're doing, and the only way this game gets content is when people actually stop justifying these delays.
I myself stopped caring about this project years ago, I just come to the forums from time to time to laugh at the people who still defend them
It has long been known that Sad Crabs are simply milking money from subscribers. There is 0 content, 0 progress, but bring money every month, otherwise we will stop development. And all Khan’s exclamations about some animations over the past 3 years are ridiculous. The game will have been transferred to the "Abandoned" category a long time ago.

Anon6665455

Jul 30, 2020
The content that exists is good, but they are being too slow.
I get that they have nothing to gain by finishing the game fast, but i think they are overdoing the milking.
There is only so much milking you can do before more and more people leave.
They should have the funds for more content and should produce it if they want to keep the cash flowing in.

asgxxx

Jun 27, 2022
how to unlock gallary
i have created txt file as instructed
calidum balneo
Felix Felicis
engorgio mentula
nothing works

HeartBroker

Jul 20, 2018
Exactly this. We don't know for certain how much time they spent developing it before release, but based on the timing of Witch Trainer scaling down, it can't have been long at all. But even if we give them the entirety of the benefit of doubt, that means in the last 7 years they've basically completed what we see now as the "new plot," which is scant on content in even the most generous of the definition of "content."

It's funny you bring up Selebus, because that was the game that made me realize just how slow Sad Crab's development was. I realize it's almost not fair to compare to Selebus, since he is the platinum standard at this point, but experiencing his game showed me there were more reliable games out there. While none of those other games are on the level of Selebus, they offer more than 2 new frames every month.

I was team "20-dollar monthly subscriber" on Sad Crab forever, but legit, every time I checked in on the game there was nothing new outside of a redone scene or Live2D remake (which is something even a person with my shitty coding/assets experience can get done in a 1-3 days, solo).

They're absolutely milking it. And you know...that's fine, I appreciate the hustle. But they can't pretend like they're not milking it--the Patreon hentai maker hustle is starting to unravel.

Reactions: rocco1110

HeartBroker

Jul 20, 2018
The content that exists is good, but they are being too slow.
I get that they have nothing to gain by finishing the game fast, but i think they are overdoing the milking.
There is only so much milking you can do before more and more people leave.
They should have the funds for more content and should produce it if they want to keep the cash flowing in.
They have so much room before finishing though. It's not fear of completion in this case, it's complacency.

They could finish this game and start a brand new one based on the same premise and characters and people would still scramble for it because the base idea is so intriguing/interesting. I've played three "Harry Potter / Witch Trainer" games so far in the last decade, and I'll play the next one that comes out. But this one has burned my toast too many times.

Anon6665455

Jul 30, 2020
They have so much room before finishing though. It's not fear of completion in this case, it's complacency.

They could finish this game and start a brand new one based on the same premise and characters and people would still scramble for it because the base idea is so intriguing/interesting. I've played three "Harry Potter / Witch Trainer" games so far in the last decade, and I'll play the next one that comes out. But this one has burned my toast too many times.
True i gues. I would not mind paying for a complete game of this quality. But im not paying for something that hardly gets any content at all.

3.00 star(s) 321 Votes