Oriandu

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2017
is everything really that bad?... I mean, they earn about ~22000 dolllars each month... that's quite a lot
What developers on patreon make every month rarely correlates directly to quality. ICSTOR made tens of thousands of dollars a month for years without putting out any content at all. Gunsmoke Games releases between four and twelve still images every two to three months that are made up of copy pasted body parts and brings in tens of thousands of dollars because Something Unlimited plays on Justice League Unlimited nostalgia. Dr PinkCake puts out one update a year and brings in a ton per month. Summertime Saga hasn't put out an update in a year and has been on a "tech update" routine for years and still brings in tens of thousands of dollars. MagicNuts hasn't put out a What a Legend update in a year and a half and is still bringing in thousands of dollars a month. Innocent Witches has focused on freakish looking side characters no one asked for instead of giving any of the main girls proper scenes and has been rehashing story content instead of making new content for years and as you said has been making over $20,000 a month.

A lot of projects trade initial early hype for a lazy, laidback release schedule that allows them to work as little as possible while still releasing content, many others ape preexisting intellectual properties that people have a connection to as a means to have an easier time making money. These tactics don't always work but they're an effective method a lot of developers use. Play Innocent Witches from front to back. Start from the beginning and play as far as you can and tell me you're satisfied with its content. I won't believe you.

Reactions: Hent_M and vireker

Ferr34

Dec 19, 2017
What developers on patreon make every month rarely correlates directly to quality. ICSTOR made tens of thousands of dollars a month for years without putting out any content at all. Gunsmoke Games releases between four and twelve still images every two to three months that are made up of copy pasted body parts and brings in tens of thousands of dollars because Something Unlimited plays on Justice League Unlimited nostalgia. Dr PinkCake puts out one update a year and brings in a ton per month. Summertime Saga hasn't put out an update in a year and has been on a "tech update" routine for years and still brings in tens of thousands of dollars. MagicNuts hasn't put out a What a Legend update in a year and a half and is still bringing in thousands of dollars a month. Innocent Witches has focused on freakish looking side characters no one asked for instead of giving any of the main girls proper scenes and has been rehashing story content instead of making new content for years and as you said has been making over $20,000 a month.

A lot of projects trade initial early hype for a lazy, laidback release schedule that allows them to work as little as possible while still releasing content, many others ape preexisting intellectual properties that people have a connection to as a means to have an easier time making money. These tactics don't always work but they're an effective method a lot of developers use. Play Innocent Witches from front to back. Start from the beginning and play as far as you can and tell me you're satisfied with its content. I won't believe you.
damn, that is a lot of words
I tried innocent witches years ago, but I don't remember if there even were any content so I can't tell, if I remember right, it was just a ton of text after a ton of text

I don't know even a part of those guys you've mentioned so I didn't know it is common
if I make a game with some popular universes, will it be a bad decision or look bad as if all I want is *to ape preexisting intellectual properties that people have a connection to*?

Reactions: Hent_M

Anon6665455

Jul 30, 2020
is everything really that bad?... I mean, they earn about ~22000 dolllars each month... that's quite a lot
thats exactly why it is so bad. They dont need to do anything but keep the already paying people to stay by drip feeding a little content.
If they didnt have that much money comming in they would need to actually make progress to attrackt more people.
They have nothing to gain by working faster. No incentive whatsoever to finish the game.

FunInTheRun

Nov 20, 2020

I totally agree with this, besides Dr PinkCake. Yes, an episode takes a year, but each one contains a ton of content and many hours of new story. While I hate the waiting, its high quality content, that takes a lot of effort.

Oriandu

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2017
I totally agree with this, besides Dr PinkCake. Yes, an episode takes a year, but each one contains a ton of content and many hours of new story. While I hate the waiting, its high quality content, that takes a lot of effort.
Nothing about the last Being a DIK release was a year of work. No new areas were built, there was no complicated gameplay, stock animations, models, and locations were used, and it was just a scene for each of the main girls and I think a couple extra for one side character. It's a few months of work stretched across 12 because Dr PinkCake knows he can get away with it.

damn, that is a lot of words
I tried innocent witches years ago, but I don't remember if there even were any content so I can't tell, if I remember right, it was just a ton of text after a ton of text

I don't know even a part of those guys you've mentioned so I didn't know it is common
if I make a game with some popular universes, will it be a bad decision or look bad as if all I want is *to ape preexisting intellectual properties that people have a connection to*?
It's not a lot of words you're just lazy. Play Innocent Witches. When you're swearing under your breath trying to get through the eighth half baked mini game in a row just to see Hermione's cleavage after you've already been playing for a few hours you'll know I'm right.

Rafterburner

Nov 27, 2019
That would depend entirely on whether you start milking the emotional connection instead of actually making the game.

Reactions: Jameyboi

Ferr34

Dec 19, 2017
That would depend entirely on whether you start milking the emotional connection instead of actually making the game.
right now I am working on my drawing skills
so we might never find out how it will be :C
but if I make an alpha early access, if it will contain HP universe, I might finish HP routes before those guys

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafterburner

kuindai

Oct 22, 2022

I agree with everything except What a legend. let the devs do slow there, but there is some sort of accountability going on there on a weekly basis.

3.00 star(s) 321 Votes