MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
true but then thats absolutely ridiculous because the MC is one of if not the main component to making a good story driven VN, if the MC is an unlikeable douchebag or a creepy perv then it takes away any interest the story could bring, thats why i like this MC yeah he can be a bit annoying not confronting any problems but hes still likeable and got enough self-control not to act like a 15yo virgin around pretty girls
Yes this mc here is a lot more realistic with all his flaws and like you said likeable enough as other mc's
Yeah, the MC in most games is where they fall down... Using the same asset with very little modification and then having the character react instead of act. It is the one flaw with VN's focused on sexual situations/dating sims. The women are customized to some degree to make them more interesting, though a lot of new developers just use out of the box renders. Still, all of that can be forgiven when the developer writes a good story.

ExDeath730

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah, the MC in most games is where they fall down... Using the same asset with very little modification and then having the character react instead of act. It is the one flaw with VN's focused on sexual situations/dating sims. The women are customized to some degree to make them more interesting, though a lot of new developers just use out of the box renders. Still, all of that can be forgiven when the developer writes a good story.
I do think the MC issue is a lot better nowadays than it was 4-5 years ago. I still remember when every MC was the same 14 year old looking scrawny kid. We still see some of those MCs around, but i feel that a lot of devs are taking time to develop interesting characters. Even in game were we don't see the MC, their backstory or even personality is crafted in a way to give then more character. Anyway, i think we're going for a better place with how the MCs are being developed now, and hope we keep on this path in more games.

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
i dont know what its like to be an 18yo virgin but im gonna guess its nothing like what most of these VNs portray, being a creepy perv one minute then being a bumbling moron the next

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I do think the MC issue is a lot better nowadays than it was 4-5 years ago. I still remember when every MC was the same 14 year old looking scrawny kid. We still see some of those MCs around, but i feel that a lot of devs are taking time to develop interesting characters. Even in game were we don't see the MC, their backstory or even personality is crafted in a way to give then more character. Anyway, i think we're going for a better place with how the MCs are being developed now, and hope we keep on this path in more games.
Yeah, I do agree that we've moved away from the "Max" looking scrawny kid with giant kielbasa. Though it is still not that common to see well thought out and rendered MCs, what we do seem to get the most is a backstory or personality but the same or minimally tweaked assets. It is understandable that the MC is often neglected as the developer needs to try and make the Love Interests appealing to the player.

I hope we see a lot more improvement as the newer developers mature and become more comfortable with the craft. Imagine Nyx after getting one game under her belt?

i dont know what its like to be an 18yo virgin but im gonna guess its nothing like what most of these VNs portray, being a creepy perv one minute then being a bumbling moron the next
Well, as someone who was technically a virgin until he was 20 I can tell you that I have never peeked at anyone in a shower, tripped over my own feet, or acted like most of the MC's that I've seen in these games.

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
something i like about the writing Nyx has done is she hasn't gone with the stupid slang, now im only 23 but even i cant understand some of the shit younger people are coming out with these days, but some devs are now incorporating it into there VNs

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
something i like about the writing Nyx has done is she hasn't gone with the stupid slang, now im only 23 but even i cant understand some of the shit younger people are coming out with these days, but some devs are now incorporating it into there VNs
Nyx's writing is "legit"!

Sorry/not sorry.

I am too old to know what people say these days. I am going to need augmented reality glasses/earbuds that translate modern slang into 80's slang.

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
Nyx's writing is "legit"!

Sorry/not sorry.

I am too old to know what people say these days. I am going to need augmented reality glasses/earbuds that translate modern slang into 80's slang.
i started to think me being half Belgian was effecting my English

thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
Me too! Just recently I found a VN here in which, without exaggeration, every third word was "legit". I got a headache reading it.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
i started to think me being half Belgian was effecting my English
Reminds me of going to a party in the '90's and talking to a drunk Scottish gentleman... I didn't know what they fuck the man was going on about but he seemed nice so I just nodded along... Which was apparently the wrong thing to do because our "conversation" abruptly ended when he asked me a question and left.

Feel like that whenever I am near my 18 year old twin nephews, except I am too sober to put up with it.

Me too! Just recently I found a VN here in which, without exaggeration, every third word was "legit". I got a headache reading it.
Yeah, if that game ever requires me to restart I am abandoning it. It is "legit" not worth a second playthrough.

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
Reminds me of going to a party in the '90's and talking to a drunk Scottish gentleman... I didn't know what they fuck the man was going on about but he seemed nice so I just nodded along... Which was apparently the wrong thing to do because our "conversation" abruptly ended when he asked me a question and left.

Feel like that whenever I am near my 18 year old twin nephews, except I am too sober to put up with it.

Yeah, if that game ever requires me to restart I am abandoning it. It is "legit" not worth a second playthrough.
my nan would refuse to speak to me in English so i would have to learn French, i found out the just nodding along tactic doesn't work when i ''agreed'' to volunteer at an elderly care home, worst summer of my life

• Haha
Reactions: LSC82

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
my nan would refuse to speak to me in English so i would have to learn French, i found out the just nodding along tactic doesn't work when i ''agreed'' to volunteer at an elderly care home, worst summer of my life
LMAO...

Yeah, I had a similar issue when I "volunteered" to help my Chinese godparents with their garden. They could speak perfect English but would vary the amount of accent they used depending on who they spoke to and where... Something I didn't know until I was much older.

• Haha
Reactions: Plaguerave

OutOfAshes

Engaged Member
Apr 14, 2019

Plaguerave

Sep 15, 2020
I used to think so too, for people who aren't enjoying the mess the MC will inevitably get involved in the new town Nikki/Cara provide a happy stress free option, zero controversies.

Mr friendly might be right, we might get an early alternative ending with 6.0 for Nikki/Cara and if you don't pick them now, they don't come back into the story later.

Those options are all in Nyx table, honestly can't tell which one she'll choose.
I think the whole Nikki/Cara thing is interesting I am just wondering if MC might say fuck the mess from moving back and tell them the truth about his "dad" and maybe pick up where they left off but that would cut so much to a end or maybe Lexi or Erynn or both would chase his ass down and tell him to be a man and not run away...who knows

It would also probably end up affecting Layla heavily if that happened with the shit shes been dealing with then finally someone decent shows up gives her a bit of hope only for him to run away from everything.

The one thing I am sure of is I'd like to see some answers from his mom about that situation in particular just to see what the best viable outcome could be or worse case scenarios the only problem is MC went through shit and hes quick to get hot headed we witnessed that already.

Reactions: OutOfAshes

caxhub

Engaged Member
Aug 22, 2019
Download android v0.5.5a APK
P/s: Request Link Android Game at my

gnr4lyfe

Jan 23, 2018
Played the latest update from scratch, definitely adds more context to the stuff that gets revealed in episode 5.
I still hit a roadblock at the Nikki/Cara choice, still to me the toughest decision thus far in the game.
Looking forward to seeing what comes next and where this all goes, great job Nyx.

OutOfAshes

Engaged Member
Apr 14, 2019
I have again thought a little bit . Because i
had too much time...

In the memories of Alexis and the Mc, Alexis only talked to him once when she comforted him and kissed him on the cheeks and congratulated him on his birthday.

In bed after the concert, however, she says "I wish you had never left, then things would not be so complicated now, but on the other hand they would never have happened like this".

This would mean that Alexis already felt something for him which would be strange if they had only "talked once" as far as we know.

And if he hadn't left it would never have happened like that probably because of Erynn but that would mean that Alexis knew or thought, she knew that she could never be with him because of Erynn? Because she had feelings for him back then?

Reactions: MrFriendly

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I have again thought a little bit . Because i
had too much time...

In the memories of Alexis and the Mc, Alexis only talked to him once when she comforted him and kissed him on the cheeks and congratulated him on his birthday.

In bed after the concert, however, she says "I wish you had never left, then things would not be so complicated now, but on the other hand they would never have happened like this".

This would mean that Alexis already felt something for him which would be strange if they had only "talked once" as far as we know.

And if he hadn't left it would never have happened like that probably because of Erynn but that would mean that Alexis knew or thought, she knew that she could never be with him because of Erynn? Because she had feelings for him back then?
She means that if we never left, it would have afforded her the opportunity to get closer to us with Erynn distratced by other people, thus able to start a relationship earlier than the 'here and now'.

4.40 star(s) 272 Votes