Quaszog55

Oct 4, 2017
It's hit and miss, he's always said this is a side project. He's finished Dana and started work on another one but this has been getting a lot more work done recently.
Knowing Ptolemy and his beat buddies from the pre-patreon / elder days i can say that sometimes they just like to 'flip the table' or 'take a break' from projects for no reason other than, them being the creators. So the fact, that this game gets updates at all is already a win.

Monthly updates is what happened. You see the same thing on Patreon, surely?
I believe here is the problem. Sometimes Devs do not get that monthly income requires monthly effort and if the result is substandard so is the fan / donor attitude. And no he probably does not get shit on patreon because their ethics commisars hate etiquetteless commentary.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Sometimes Devs do not get that monthly income requires monthly effort and if the result is substandard so is the fan / donor attitude.
I rather meant that the rigid schedule leads to both serialized content and expectations: cyclical, self-contained, function over form. By the first I mean that both the audience and the producer come to think of the game as ongoing rather than developing, by the second I mean each update must touch all aspects of the game and may break with established tone, and by the third I mean that there is a rush to get lots of renders and words in, and things like proofreading, revision and UX are neglected.

These qualities are visible in most Patreon-funded games, to varying degrees.

Quaszog55

Oct 4, 2017
These qualities are visible in most Patreon-funded games, to varying degrees.
Yeah, well art is for free. Once money is involved it becomes a product. Producers and consumers need to work out some relationship. Its not what the idea behind patreon was but its what happened. At last some people keep the spirit alive and keep supporting until shit is done.

I mean there is a reason why creators can chose between pledge per month and pledge per content. The former creates a time frame upon which development can be massured. The latter only has quality as a consumer metric. The former pays an artists living cost, the latter pays an artists production cost.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
If I remember correctly, Pto has said before that this project is or at least started as a side project for one specific patreon who has been paying for it. This is also the main reason of the irregular updates of this project.

He has also said that he is making those games not because of the money he gets from patreons, but because he likes it and cares more about his freedom to create what he wants than the money he gets from patreons. He has already proved it by not bending by some ridiculous demands of some patreons to change his game's scenario (Dreaming of Dana) the way they wanted. He preferred to return the money they already paid him and send them away respectfully, yet determined.

Therefore I find all accusations of him delaying or creating sub-standard updates because of the low income from patreons somewhat distasteful and disrespectful.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
irregular updates
I was curious, so I checked the intervals between updates to this game: 5w, 4w, 5w, 15w, 6w, 6w, 5w. Fairly regular, I think.
In the process of looking this up, I noticed him being argumentative early on in this thread, so I imagine he must have been thinking of another thread when talking about the good old days.

As for variations in length or quality, I can't really comment on that because I honestly don't pay much attention to such things (and haven't played the latest update yet). However, a quality I have noticed in this game is episodicity - though not as strong as in, say, SSS.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
He has already proved it by not bending by some ridiculous demands of some patreons to change his game's scenario (Dreaming of Dana) the way they wanted. He preferred to return the money they already paid him and send them away respectfully, yet determined.
There are a lot of games I like but Pto is one of the only devs I respect. I'd even go as far as saying I like the guy.

That quote is one of the reasons why.

I've seen so many devs cave and try to appease their patrons that they actively ruin characters or whole games to change things to how they want them instead of doing what the dev wanted.

I know some devs like their patrons to feel involved but Pto manages that without ruining his story or characters.

When I play a game, I want to play the story the dev is telling with the characters he is choosing to tell that story with. I don't want to play a game with a story told by several different people and characters being changed every other week, it looks like a cluster fuck.

Simply put, if you aren't confident in your own story and your own characters then why are you making games.

Quaszog55

Oct 4, 2017
I've seen so many devs cave and try to appease their patrons that they actively ruin characters or whole games to change things to how they want them instead of doing what the dev wanted.
Well as the creative mind behind all of it, the creator has to excersise executive authority in terms of what goes and what gives. So that is what i expect of a creator. The vision and the experience are two things and if a customer complaints about the experience, than voting with money is what he must do and choosing NOT TO PARTICIPATE is a valid option. Nonetheless its the creators vision that needs to be realized for a project to have any merit. Whether that inspiration come from the creator, his fans or out of an instant noodle box is irrelevant.

Therefore I find all accusations of him delaying or creating sub-standard updates... ...distasteful and disrespectful.
However, side project back and forth. Compiling source code is NOT base standard for making games it IS the pre-condition for calling something a game and IR forced me to do quality control and enforce THIS pre-condition through personal effort (syntax checking and logical dependencies). That is how i define substandard, banana software isn't a production standard.

A second pledge scheme / project site (pay per content), would free Ptolemy from this charade of making one and a half games for FULL paying customers who desire the half-baked one to come through. If i wanna see IR i am not paying monthly if the game goes out bi-monthly or tri-monthly. But i would throw him 20 bucks every time he makes a content post with an update as long as that update is above average. This will free him from any time pressure and allow him to focus on quality only. AND it gives hm a clear idea on how much dublonas he can spend for each iteration before it becomes an act of love and sweat.

This isn't a family were i will suffer dads toxic cooking just because mom has the afternoon shift 2 days a week and that's how it MUST be.
DoD was nice but did not even qualify as a substitute for IR and neither will his new project. So if i pay him some Solidi in ADVANCE and then receive poor craftsmanship because RL and time constraints i switch to occasional support as well or go back to 'sewer fishing' here.
And i hate going sewer fishing after mom promised to cook for me but had to stay in late...

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
Played this back at version .15 but decided to play it last night and the first save I tried threw up a traceback rollback error but luckily the save after that one worked fine. I didn't care for that brain dead meat head from the gym so I alter it so that they never appear and then going after the daughter but never did anything with denise but might also be able to do it if done right to keep meat head away.

I did hit 2 traceback errors caused by spelling errors in the code but those were easy to fix. One was where K tag was Ka instead of K.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Well, I played the new update. It's good to see the swimsuit clip was fixed, but amusingly there was a pube clip taking its place. Oh well. The two new script bugs (and one old) were surprising, but at the same time, the spelling was good this time around (well, mostly). The story seemed fine, though there was a small branch bug there too, and the structure was exceptionally linear.

If not for the five runtime errors, this would have been an okay update. As it is, I'd say it's the second worst of the eight so far - but the game remains worth pledging to.

FXM

Oct 2, 2017
I love this game but there should be some way to get rid of the wife without turning her into a slave for the gym idiot

Reactions: Rythan25
3.50 star(s) 51 Votes