VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Gap size? WTF? BTT was NOT referring to spark plugs. Every vehicle has three clearances, underneath, in cab (generally called head room) and the height of the vehicle for clearing underpasses like in your spoiler image. I figured it out immediately from what BTT originally said. Why all this discussion over something so simple? meh...
Because clearly it's not so simple when translated. When I said "the literal translation", I was saying that's what both Google Translate and DeepL show as the translation of the word Spaltmaß. At least, if German is the correct language from which BTT converted it to English. (I had to look it up because I wasn't sure myself; I'm rusty on much of my German.)

This is always an issue in translations. Words or phrases that come across very often do not translate directly. The Dutch idiom for "it's raining cats and dogs" is actually "het regent bakstenen" . . . which literally translates back to English as "it's raining bricks". The German "wir dürfen gehen" (we may go) translates to "we dare to go" in Dutch if you don't know that German dürfen and Dutch durfen are false cognates.

So it's very easy to see why "clearance" could mean something else in BTT's mind but not be the word we would use in English. Language translations are anything but simple. They never really have been.

Anyway, I've beat this horse to death (but, ich habe ein totes Pferd geritten "I've ridden a dead horse" if you're German).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: FatGiant

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
This is amusing to me, as a professional in the automotive manufacturing industry, to read others others debating proper terminology.

From what I understand of BT's intent, he is referring to "Panel Gap" (or sometimes body gap), the measurement between two separate body panels of the car.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
This is always an issue in translations. Words or phrases that come across very often do not translate directly. The Dutch idiom for "it's raining cats and dogs" is actually "het regent bakstenen" . . . which literally translates back to English as "it's raining bricks". The German "wir dürfen gehen" (we may go) translates to "we dare to go" in Dutch if you don't know that German dürfen and Dutch durfen are false cognates.

So it's very easy to see why "clearance" could mean something else in BTT's mind but not be the word we would use in English. Language translations are anything but simple. They never really have been.
The German and Dutch examples make a good point.
Hell, even in Austrian and Switzerland "German" there is a different meaning for some sayings and words.

Anyway, I've beat this horse to death (but, ich habe ein totes Pferd geritten "I've ridden a dead horse" if you're German).
;)

From what I understand of BT's intent, he is referring to "Panel Gap" (or sometimes body gap), the measurement between two separate body panels of the car.
Sounds right ;)

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
This is amusing to me, as a professional in the automotive manufacturing industry, to read others others debating proper terminology.

Yeah, I don't pretend to know. I have never had to know what panel gaps are, so I had no idea. I just knew that clearance would be incorrect here (although understandable with linguistic differences). I'll hopefully remember the term for some time in the future.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
We have this amazing game with two very different, but equally lovely ladies wanting to get it on with the MC (and each other) and you guys talk about weird car terms? :)
Just for the record, I thought clearance meant the distance from the ground to the undercarriage (if that is the correct term...) and was utterly confused as that isn't visible in the pic.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 61 Votes