3.40 star(s) 17 Votes

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Good luck with that. Many of them couldn't care less about Puerto Ricans and they aren't even aware of what's going on right now. The reason I know is that I'm friends with a couple that are from Puerto Rico.
Here's the problem- between the grafts and corruption, it's costing almost triple the price for a quarter the work just talking about re-establishing electricity. They're being assholes (both politicians and companies) about it and the electricity is needed to drive pumps to deliver clean water, power to keep their food cold, and the cell phone towers. I won't even go into the medical stuff cuz I said "Send me there and I'll fix it!" when I heard about how it's been recently. Apparently there's many like me trying to help but at every turn, they get blocked/stopped/sent away for "lack of funds" or "lack of supplies" either due to politics and/or businesses being dicks. To clarify, the politics both here and locally in Puerto Rico are pretty bad. What's happening is nobody will suspend the Jones Act that restricts ships that can visit Puerto Rico and the local politicians are involved in bribery and graft. Congress knows about that and has done nothing for decades to to put a stop to it because they'd rather keep the status quo. It's all about the money.
Again, it's beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Krull

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
And if flamecito is a typical Puerto Rican, he's probably gonna want to stay put and stay in Puerto Rico to make sure his family and friends are okay cuz they're still not out of the woods. What will fix it is for him and his family to have jobs, electricity, clean water, and enough fuel sources. Then he can worry about the internet. He might need help with supplies, mobile internet devices, battery packs, solar generators, etc.

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
Can someone in the southern states that have any of free rooms that can allow Flamecito stay just for the sake of providing a safe place for him to get a grip on?
Not that simple. I mean, you don't need a passport to go from Puerto Rico to the US, and flights are pretty cheap. But - and this is just an assumption - he needs to stay there with his family. They have a home to protect. If he left, they would be losing a soldier, so to speak. No one knows his exact family situation, only that he lives with them. But, from what we do know of him, he probably wouldn't be willing to leave them to better his own situation. And, of course, being as no one is close enough to him to even know how many people he lives with, you're basically inviting a stranger to live with you. Just because you like his writing, doesn't mean you will be able to get along with him. Good creators are well known for being the biggest oddballs.

Edit: Guess I should have kept reading, first. Mutt covered this.

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
Has anyone heard anything from the dev? His last patreon post is from the end of February and given his situation I always expect the worst if I see nothing happening over a month's period. Especially since I know he wants to communicate with his fans as regularly as possible (he proved that in ILD) and for all we know, he could've been killed the day after the last post.

Or hopefully I'm overthinking this and he's totally fine just waiting this out.

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
It's been over a month since he last posted. Hope he's okay
He doesn't have internet access at home, and can't leave home because they have to protect it. The police are useless, and hard times tend to turn honest people into bold criminals. Last I heard, the nearest wifi was hours away? That aside, the money thing is an issue. They still have to pay their bills just to get internet and phone access, even if they can't get wifi. They might have to prioritize groceries or safety supplies because I'm sure their income has plummeted and people aren't working how they used to. It's a bad situation, yeah, but those situations are exactly the kind where people vanish off the radar even though they're not dead. I wouldn't get all pessimistic just yet.
I_Love_Daddy-jigsaw_puzzles.png

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
the whole god damn island had a power outage today, what a clusterfuck :pensive:

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
the whole god damn island had a power outage today, what a clusterfuck :pensive:
A week ago, our hamster got out of her enclosure and knocked out the power to the entire house by chewing the cord to the refrigerator. Do they have hamsters in Puerto Rico?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
What I don't get is why there's been so little National Guard involvement (and even the relatively small number deployed have largely already been recalled) - as distasteful as the idea of martial law is, it could provide the island's best chance of getting back on track. Awful hard to get shit running when the entire population is afraid to leave their homes.

Then if we could just tell the power companies to eat a dick and get the Corps of Engineers on power duty - as in doing it themselves, not babysitting the power company employees like before...

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
What I don't get is why there's been so little National Guard involvement (and even the relatively small number deployed have largely already been recalled) - as distasteful as the idea of martial law is, it could provide the island's best chance of getting back on track. Awful hard to get shit running when the entire population is afraid to leave their homes.

Then if we could just tell the power companies to eat a dick and get the Corps of Engineers on power duty - as in doing it themselves, not babysitting the power company employees like before...
That's how things would work if not for politics.

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
Local government doesn't want military to take control of the situation, so everything is being slow walked so locals can feel they are still in charge. I miss flamecito too and still think he was one of the most promising writers to come across this site.

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
Puerto Rico has a lot of administrative autonomy, similar to a state in the US. And, even in the US where things are stable, sometimes shit just makes no sense. Such as weed being federally, very, very illegal, yet several states giving it the thumbs up for open distribution and taxation. A more recent example is California making decisions about federally funded troops on their southern border.

Sometimes states don't want to play ball with the feds, and our entire government structure is built around allowing states to refuse federal equipment, troops, money, laws, whatever. At the end of the day, the local populace's opinion is more important than the opinion of someone who's never stepped foot there. In theory, you can see why that's important. But, on the flip side, we have Puerto Rico institutionalized corruption disallowing the population to make any sort of timely recovery or the federal government to step in and slap their shit.

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
I was just checking through games that I've heard little about in a while and I realised that Flamecito hasn't been heard from for ages. I knew he was hit by the hurricane and their infrastructure was fucked up all over the place but I didn't think it was still going on, I mean it's 8 fucking months ago! So a quick Google search (I know, I'm a fucking detective) turned up some that might interest some people. Suffice to say that government oversight for the nation seems a little lackadaisical at best and when something then needs doing there is no real foundation to build on.

Reactions: jpsimon

Daisies

Jun 12, 2017
It's pretty ridiculous it's gone on for this long. Even if the US government sent no aid funds (which they did, a lot of), things should have been sorted out by now.

Daisies

Jun 12, 2017
Well situations like that are really subjective and complicated, so yeah it's my opinion that things should have improved by now without aid.
Except they have gotten a lot of financial aid, more than Florida AND Texas got during Hurricane Harvey. Maybe we haven't been doing enough, and like someone else mentioned should have had more of a National Guard presence to keep things on track.
But what's, essentially, martial law should be a last resort. The local government should be able to handle disasters like that on their own, with an appropriate amount of aid, if they want to stay mostly independent from the US.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
The local government should be able to handle disasters like that on their own, with an appropriate amount of aid, if they want to stay mostly independent from the US.
Do you have any idea what the political situation is like there?

I don't mean this in a snarky manner but you really do need to look that up, it's not quite as simple as you seem to think it is.

Daisies

Jun 12, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty fucked up. That's why I said "should", as in that's what you'd hope would happen. But obviously aid isn't going to help when they don't actually use it appropriately and efficiently. FEMA, federal authorities, and local authorities made mistakes every step of the way.
It also doesn't help most politicians in the US don't really care about the Puerto Rico, and mainstream media has mostly been ignoring the issue beyond the surface level (and even with that it goes under-reported).
There's not much that can be done about it anymore, they're already invested in their currents plans and won't be changing them, no clue how long this will take to blow over. Maybe the region will have a stable powergrid back by the end of the summer.

3.40 star(s) 17 Votes