ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Yes error always happens in nested evaluations, I tested for several times, and this one succeeded to run, is there any other forms of codes. Correct ones, more readable better.
Code:
$test_dynamic = {
    $name1 = $args[2]+'_'+$args[3]
    dynamic "$name = $<<$args[2]>>_<<$args[3]>>"
    $description1 = $args[0]+"_"+$args[1]+"["+$args[2]+"_"+$args[3]+"]"
    dynamic "$description = $<<$args[0]>>_<<$args[1]>>[$<<$args[2]>>_<<$args[3]>>]"
    msg "<<$name1>> = <<$name>> <br> <<$description1>> = <<$description>>"
}
$test_name = 'sally'
$show_description['sally'] = 'test succeeded'

dynamic $test_dynamic, 'show', 'description', 'test', 'name'
You could use nested $replace, when calling dynamic at the end, like this:

dynamic $replace($replace($replace($replace($test_dynamic, 'dyn1', 'show'), 'dyn2', 'description'), 'dyn3', 'test'), 'dyn4', 'name')

Then you can rewrite the code as:

Code:
$test_dynamic = {
    msg "dyn3_dyn4 = <<$dyn3_dyn4>> <br> dyn1_dyn2[dyn3_dyn4] = <<$dyn1_dyn2[$dyn3_dyn4]>>"
}

$test_name = 'sally'
$show_description['sally'] = 'test succeeded'

dynamic $replace($replace($replace($replace($test_dynamic, 'dyn1', 'show'), 'dyn2', 'description'), 'dyn3', 'test'), 'dyn4', 'name')

Reactions: sarinee

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Does this game still use already made CGs from other eroges or have there been new original art?
There's no original art. But it's much broader than "other eroges", there's art from many sources. Every release includes updates in the media packs. Images are organized in randomization sets based on certain criteria: hair color, hair length, age, and composites thereof for scenes with multiple participants. There are also fallback images cropped to show only bodies in case a more precise match is not available.

Therod

Apr 20, 2018
There's no original art. But it's much broader than "other eroges", there's art from many sources. Every release includes updates in the media packs. Images are organized in randomization sets based on certain criteria: hair color, hair length, age, and composites thereof for scenes with multiple participants. There are also fallback images cropped to show only bodies in case a more precise match is not available.
Are they uncensored?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
shes weakened ...give her supplements and just let her rest until the health is normal... thats what i would do. The energy u get from having a healthy slave outweighs the time invested (and u get some obedience anyway over time). Are u playing on harder difficulty, so that u need more than 2 rules? Are u beginner in this game? Maybe normal difficulty would be good for ur first run.

Im not sure, but deny toileting and public toilet could influence health if i remember correctly... i wouldnt use this on an already unhealthy slave.
i would use behave:silence rule if u need this from ur difficulty.

She seems depressed... have u given her some clothes? u should avoid driving her mood down that much. Are u aware that different punishments can cause different stacking mood debuffs? u can avoid this by giving a smaller variety of punishments... Having her depresed is never good... if nothing helps u can go get her a massage in the city to fix the mood at least somewhat.

im not sure... i forgot if u are able to brand guild slaves... but if u can u should do. Because branding makes training much easier and the slave is more obedient. Use the fire brand as punishment next time and be aware of the mood debuff from this
Enforcing rules increases despair. Stop the rules she isn't willing to follow withour force, until she's no longer depressed.

You don't need rules if she is fearful, but you can enable rules she is willing to follow. Like maid. You can ask her what she thinks of you - if she's willing to be a maid, she'll tell you. (In 2.2.1.)

Guild slaves are already branded.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
If anyone is interested in playtesting some experimental changes, the latest master-ia(-patch) branches have been updated with the following changes:
After some play testing, I've updated the -ia dev branches with the following additional changes:

21. re-order moodlets (order they appear in master diary or when asking slave about how she feels) and improve some of the wording

22. reverse order of "how do you feel" responses to display the positive ones first like the master diary

23. disable spoil moodlet if rape, defloration or angst moodlet is active, and relocate the code that enables the spoil moodlet

24. to reduce mood swings, apply a temporary and smaller mood bonus on the same day when positive moodlets end

25. to reduce mood swings, adjusted next day mood carry over formula to apply a bonus representing half of the previous day's mood (counting anything above depressed as positive)

26. positive moodlets fade faster when a slave feels despair, scaling with the level of despair, but now this occurs only if the slave's despair exceeds an empathy threshold (5 despair at F- empathy, 1 despair at A+ or S+ empathy) - this is the same condition that determines whether the "hopeless" moodlet appears when you ask how she feels

27. the "you didn't punish me" moodlet now applies a larger mood bonus as long as it is active, instead of only on the first day, but diminishes over time, and the moodlet will end immediately if a punishment is applied; some negative side effects of doing this are also reduced slightly

28. discovered and fixed a small bug in the diligence formula that resulted in less variance than intended

29. Dexterous trait now gives chance for better diligence in concerts or when washing or massaging the master (putting those artistic fingers to good use... maybe some sex skills too?)

Last edited:

Shadesmar

Apr 19, 2021
Enforcing rules increases despair. Stop the rules she isn't willing to follow withour force, until she's no longer depressed.

You don't need rules if she is fearful, but you can enable rules she is willing to follow. Like maid. You can ask her what she thinks of you - if she's willing to be a maid, she'll tell you. (In 2.2.1.)

Guild slaves are already branded.
u were quoting the wrong one.. thats no my game u commenting on. And having no rules will increase spoiling

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
u were quoting the wrong one.. thats no my game u commenting on. And having no rules will increase spoiling
I was commenting on your comment. Having no rules does not increase spoiling when the slave is fearful. Are you still playing an old version?

I'm ready to listen to advice -
Which version are you using? What is the game difficulty? What are the master's stats? I meant to show the full screen, not just his mood.

Last edited:

ForgottenNote

Jan 25, 2020
Does audio work for you? Sometimes crashes in the past have been related to audio issues.
I don't have music on, but haven't noticed anything wrong with the sound effects. I'll keep an eye out.

Since I've been playing this a bit with the new patch, some random rambling thoughts again. Take of them what you will:
I saw that in the new dev branch you've increased rentals like the laboratory with the idea that you cancel them when you don't need them (and to change the income curve in general, granted). Now, this is a way to test the player and increase avenues of optimization, but it's also really tedious. In my recent Johny game I did this with the dungeon and lab because the money was tight and it just annoyed me. It's unecessary fiddling in a game heavy with fiddling. These kind of running costs are things that I prefer you can ignore once you're established, it's part of the draw for that. So I'm not the biggest fan of increasing the incentive.

Also I see plans to make living in the slums more costly. I'm not convinced that this is really necessary. This play through I instantly upgraded to living in Anthill because my previous try to was no gold, no reputation custom start was in the slums for a while and I found that the way slums passively drained your stats in various ways (bad food, no bath, having to move to the city for services, bad moodlets, etc.) got really expensive in terms of slaver skill development. I felt that while during the time I took to train my first slave I saved some sparks, I paid double for that in the how much slower the next few were because my skills were still hampered and it ended up being rather expensive. This Johny run I feel like I got going a lot faster, even if I had to take a few loans. These are old memories though, so I could be wrong and a big difference was that in the slum run I never used Isabella, who is like a free 2k+ value infusion.

Speaking of Isabella, since I'm using her this run I found that it kind of annoys me how you get her for no real cost. If possible, I'd prefer there to be some kind of a delayed cost to her. Like after four decades of having her, you'd have to do her a bit of a favour, or someone would come after her that would cause problems for you, etc. She could still be a good deal, but would make her feel a bit more of a choice. A good chance to introduce a bit more of a story to her too.

Also saw that in the next branch you might make it make it harder to increase your slaver guild reputation. I'm of the opposite opinion, I feel it probably should be easier. I've played a few playthroughs of the game in various earlier states and I don't think I've ever bothered to max guild rep even after hitting patrician. It just feels stupidly grindy, having to repeatedly do the same job for them. Part of this issue is that what gets you what rep and how much is pretty vaguely communicated in game. I think the last time I tried to raise guild reputation, I trained to S- slaves and sold them at the slave auction and the first time I did it shot me to B and the second time it didn't move at all. Might be misremembering though.

Brand reputation, on the other hand, feels too easy, especially early on. This time, since I had the excess energy and was in white town already, I spent a bit of time spreading rumours in the forum and ended up with C brand rep before I finished my first slave. Was a bit of a pain, when Johny started to bitch about living standards.

Anyway, on reputations I'd prefer if it were really clearly communicated when it's moving/how much you need. Could see just showing player the exact point amounts or at least making clear when it's going up. Being crystal clear selling what level slaves to where gives me rep with who. I remember training a guild contract slave, turning her in and having guild rep move and wondering if I had trained a too low rank slave in respect to my rank or what.

Pony racing should give be more rewarding as long as you finish a race. I barely scrape together a second place finish and my slave is spent, wounded for a few days and feeling guilty, my slaver is in a bad mood because he didn't win (a long lasting negative moodlet) and I have barely anything to show for it. Having something positive come from finishing the race would incentivise bringing ponies mid training to the races just to see how it goes. Now I just skip them until the slave's fully trained.

There are a few quality of life changes I'm also desiring.

A big one is being able to have item sets for the slaves. A simple example is that pony training gear tanks the slave mood (I kind of feel that pony training should mitigate this at least somewhat. I get that they're restricting, but that's the fantasy of this game, that you're training them to accept it. Bug I digress, as I do.) so at the end of the day I want to remove them and give them some slippers. That's a lot of clicks. You already have the nice gear buttons at the top of the screen, though you can't change things trough them. Would be nice if you added a few slots where you could save the slaves current gear. Put pony gear on, click on a slot to save, change to night clothes, save those too. Now you can just press those to instantly change all relevant stuff.

Another is allowing your assistant to use the facilities you are using. Like you go to the salon to give the slave a massage. Would be neat if you could have the assistant have one too without making an extra trip. This is especially relevant early on when you don't have the ring to reduce travel cost or the dungeon so you can stash you slave there, move your assistant to slave and then get them the massage. The same applies to other locations, like the Colisseum event fights (you can already do this with sparring).

Also same with alchemy, at least I haven't found a way to assigning a specific character to do alchemy. If you have a slave and an assistant, it's always the assistant who does alchemy. No assistant, then it's the slave. Inconvenient if you don't have the dungeon, you have to like go to the cryo lab to stash slave, move assistant to slave, stash assistant, come back with the slave. Then you can have her do alchemy.

Alchemy could also use quick buttons for the recipes, once you've made them once. Would make things faster when you have to make 5 tonics. Could also enable some way to make multiple batches at once, but that's less relevant with energy costs etc. Just having a potion at one button would be enough.
Some bug reports:
If you rent a home cryo without having slave in any of the pods, selecting the cryo shortcut at home doesn't give you access to the empty cryo pods. The window with the slave portrait just disappears. The numbers 1-3 for cryo slots don't appear. Only the number for the slot you have a slave in do. Might just have the numbers be visible at all times, so you can choose which slot to put your slave in.

Also when you get the home cryo, the guy presents it as having one at your home, but it's actually a portal to the one in Serpentine, so you're still paying the daily charge for storage, no? If so, might make the daily cost being on top of the monthly one more obvious.

Other than this issue I'm loving the consolidation of barn/dungeon/cryo, so thanks for that.

I had a young slave with black hair. Training her in licking just had her standing portrait show up, no associated images.
Oh and since I haven't said this in a bit: It's really nice seeing this game being worked on even after all these years. Thanks for the great effort.

Last edited:

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I don't have music on, but haven't noticed anything wrong with the sound effects. I'll keep an eye out.

Since I've been playing this a bit with the new patch, some random rambling thoughts again. Take of them what you will:

Some bug reports:

Oh and since I haven't said this in a bit: It's really nice seeing this game being worked on even after all these years. Thanks for the great effort.
I fixed a lot of the audio issues relating to thread stuff, but it really was primitively developed and has no blocking/sync, so don't do too much audio at once. No threading, you could literally call the routine for the menu sound toggle quickly enough and break everything (just restart client). Someone also had delays added in all of the audio stuff, but not for fading, just for aesthetics...Needs a rewrite, but no one has the time or the will.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I saw that in the new dev branch you've increased rentals like the laboratory with the idea that you cancel them when you don't need them (and to change the income curve in general, granted). Now, this is a way to test the player and increase avenues of optimization, but it's also really tedious. In my recent Johny game I did this with the dungeon and lab because the money was tight and it just annoyed me. It's unecessary fiddling in a game heavy with fiddling. These kind of running costs are things that I prefer you can ignore once you're established, it's part of the draw for that. So I'm not the biggest fan of increasing the incentive.
Thanks for the feedback.

The laboratory at 200$ might need to be reduced a bit, but it was set so high to encourage renting for one decade, focusing on training and brewing during that time, and then cancelling it until you need it again. This also keeps the school in play as an option for alchemy training when you don't have the lab rented.

The dungeon and boudoir are still cheap (20$/30$ in Camira and Serpis, "included" in higher tiers [Taurus charges 50$ for boudoir because it's an expensive district, so effectively the step-up cost to Korvus is 50$ less]).

The barn is "included" in Camira and costs 100$ everywhere else. The barn can produce income from egglayer, cow milk and pig. The barn also enables you to keep more slaves unfrozen for training, which can significantly augment your income. The barn should be able to pay for itself purely on the basis of its "products" alone, so the rest is bonus.

While the idea is to make the rentals expensive enough that just leaving them running isn't necessarily optimal, they are still dwarfed by other costs of living in the late game. An S+ intellect assistant with the secretary trait can reduce the variable portion of the billing by 35% to 75%, which translates to a savings of at least 280 to 420 sparks or as much as 600 to 900 savings per decade with the highest cost of living (in White Town). [Without the secretary trait, savings are 10% less.] In exchange for one negative moodlet and dropping S+ personality to A+, you can reduce the variable cost by 400$ to 600$ by maintaining the penultimate living standard instead of the maximum, which also reduces the possible accounting savings (140 to 210 sparks on the low end, 300 to 450 sparks on the high end).

Also I see plans to make living in the slums more costly. I'm not convinced that this is really necessary. This play through I instantly upgraded to living in Anthill because my previous try to was no gold, no reputation custom start was in the slums for a while and I found that the way slums passively drained your stats in various ways (bad food, no bath, having to move to the city for services, bad moodlets, etc.) got really expensive in terms of slaver skill development. I felt that while during the time I took to train my first slave I saved some sparks, I paid double for that in the how much slower the next few were because my skills were still hampered and it ended up being rather expensive. This Johny run I feel like I got going a lot faster, even if I had to take a few loans. These are old memories though, so I could be wrong and a big difference was that in the slum run I never used Isabella, who is like a free 2k+ value infusion.
The way I've implemented it, costs in the slums go up after 20 decades (200 days played). The costs increase one more time after another 10 decades (300 days played). Still cheaper than living in Camira, but it becomes even harder to justify not moving out... and staying out. By day 300, most players will have completed training at least five slaves and have access to supplemental income from the arena. If it's a zero-start with no faction reputation, they might still be living in the slums, but otherwise it's unlikely. So this is mostly an added challenge for zero starts and a disincentive to moving back to the slums when you have other options.

Speaking of Isabella, since I'm using her this run I found that it kind of annoys me how you get her for no real cost. If possible, I'd prefer there to be some kind of a delayed cost to her. Like after four decades of having her, you'd have to do her a bit of a favour, or someone would come after her that would cause problems for you, etc. She could still be a good deal, but would make her feel a bit more of a choice. A good chance to introduce a bit more of a story to her too.
Can you expand on these ideas a bit? What kind of favor, or what problems, or...?

Also saw that in the next branch you might make it make it harder to increase your slaver guild reputation. I'm of the opposite opinion, I feel it probably should be easier. I've played a few playthroughs of the game in various earlier states and I don't think I've ever bothered to max guild rep even after hitting patrician. It just feels stupidly grindy, having to repeatedly do the same job for them. Part of this issue is that what gets you what rep and how much is pretty vaguely communicated in game. I think the last time I tried to raise guild reputation, I trained to S- slaves and sold them at the slave auction and the first time I did it shot me to B and the second time it didn't move at all. Might be misremembering though.
No, no. I want to make guild rep progression easier, not harder. I also want to make it more valuable, by using it to gate the bonus income of using multiple arena contestants. Brand rep becomes exclusively about being able to sell slaves easier (contributes to charm threshold, meaning you don't need to spend as much prepping them for sale) or for more sparks (in variable-price sales like when you negotiate with business owners or sell at auction).

Brand reputation, on the other hand, feels too easy, especially early on. This time, since I had the excess energy and was in white town already, I spent a bit of time spreading rumours in the forum and ended up with C brand rep before I finished my first slave. Was a bit of a pain, when Johny started to bitch about living standards.
Agreed. I want brand reputation to rise slower up to A+. It's already slow from A+ from S+ because nothing moves the needle except selling A+/S+ slaves or socializing at the club (at most once per day, not always successful).

Anyway, on reputations I'd prefer if it were really clearly communicated when it's moving/how much you need. Could see just showing player the exact point amounts or at least making clear when it's going up. Being crystal clear selling what level slaves to where gives me rep with who. I remember training a guild contract slave, turning her in and having guild rep move and wondering if I had trained a too low rank slave in respect to my rank or what.
We currently do not show the master's detailed progression and I'd prefer to keep it that way because it adds an element of uncertainty (will today be the day?), but I do understand the frustration of not knowing if what you're doing is moving the needle at all. Guild contracts at least do tell you explicitly if you're making progress.

Selling slaves to district clients advances your level with the district if you're fulfilling a contract rank above your current rep with that district. That's it. Unlike other reputations, faction rep has no hidden progression. When you gain rep, you go up a level immediately. There is no bonus for exceeding the requested rank. Any ideas how best to communicate that in-game?

For example, if your rep with Camira is already D- (visible in objectives tab), then fulfilling a request for a D+ slave doesn't move the needle, but fulfilling a request for a C+ or higher slave does. Even if you skip a level (say you were D- and you fulfill a B+ request), you only gain one rank of faction rep (D- advances to C-), so you'd have to fulfill another request at the same or higher level (another B+) to advance again.

Pony racing should give be more rewarding as long as you finish a race. I barely scrape together a second place finish and my slave is spent, wounded for a few days and feeling guilty, my slaver is in a bad mood because he didn't win (a long lasting negative moodlet) and I have barely anything to show for it. Having something positive come from finishing the race would incentivise bringing ponies mid training to the races just to see how it goes. Now I just skip them until the slave's fully trained.
I agree. Completing without winning should be a more positive outcome if you were second or third. Being last should still be a negative moodlet, I think. You can complete many races safely by slowing down to minimal speed and inching through.

There are a few quality of life changes I'm also desiring.

A big one is being able to have item sets for the slaves. A simple example is that pony training gear tanks the slave mood (I kind of feel that pony training should mitigate this at least somewhat. I get that they're restricting, but that's the fantasy of this game, that you're training them to accept it. Bug I digress, as I do.) so at the end of the day I want to remove them and give them some slippers. That's a lot of clicks. You already have the nice gear buttons at the top of the screen, though you can't change things trough them. Would be nice if you added a few slots where you could save the slaves current gear. Put pony gear on, click on a slot to save, change to night clothes, save those too. Now you can just press those to instantly change all relevant stuff.
I agree. Being able to save equipment sets and swap them would be very convenient.

Pony gear doesn't bother the slave if they have the Brony trait. Also, if they have the trait "Loves Helplessness", they enjoy wearing the harness (or petsuit / leather shackles). The tail is also acceptable to slaves with the pet trait.

Another is allowing your assistant to use the facilities you are using. Like you go to the salon to give the slave a massage. Would be neat if you could have the assistant have one too without making an extra trip. This is especially relevant early on when you don't have the ring to reduce travel cost or the dungeon so you can stash you slave there, move your assistant to slave and then get them the massage. The same applies to other locations, like the Colisseum event fights (you can already do this with sparring).
Being able to take multiple slaves with you on outings is definitely something that should be possible. In concept, you should be able to select who accompanies you, and they should spend energy for the travel just like you do. They could also refuse, or try to run away, etc. There's even a partially implemented feature from the original game where travel cost could be offset by having a "chariot" slave, with the idea that you'd attach a trained pony to your chariot or cart or whatever, and ride in style while only spending the slave's energy. We could then allow you to change their outfits without going back home, as long as the slave is with you. We could even allow slaves to assist you in battles at the border of the fogs. Lots of possibilities here.

Also same with alchemy, at least I haven't found a way to assigning a specific character to do alchemy. If you have a slave and an assistant, it's always the assistant who does alchemy. No assistant, then it's the slave. Inconvenient if you don't have the dungeon, you have to like go to the cryo lab to stash slave, move assistant to slave, stash assistant, come back with the slave. Then you can have her do alchemy.
There's a toggle on the assistant's rules screen to decide whether or not she is the assigned alchemist. If not her, then it's the slave. We could move this to the brewing screen.

Alchemy could also use quick buttons for the recipes, once you've made them once. Would make things faster when you have to make 5 tonics. Could also enable some way to make multiple batches at once, but that's less relevant with energy costs etc. Just having a potion at one button would be enough.
To not make the current interface irrelevant and retain the need to remember recipes (or revisit Mystra for a reminder), how about a "repeat last recipe" button? You'd have to brew step by step each time you change what you're making, but the repetition would save a few clicks. We could even skip the cut-scene and bring you right back to the brewing menu so you could just click-click-click as many as you want.

Also when you get the home cryo, the guy presents it as having one at your home, but it's actually a portal to the one in Serpentine, so you're still paying the daily charge for storage, no? If so, might make the daily cost being on top of the monthly one more obvious.
Maybe the home cryo pod should be exactly what it sounds like, a separate pod. So you'd have the six in the cryo store plus the option of one more at home for 20$/decade (a lot more expensive than the six other pods, but being able to keep a seventh frozen slave can be valuable - I always fill up all the pods in the late game as I collect trophies faster than I can train them). We could give access to the quick swap buttons even if you don't have a home cryo pod, but you'd have to pay the travel energy cost if you don't live in Serpentine. I'm not in love with this idea -- reinterpreting the home pod as a portal might be better, effectively meaning you're paying 20$/week for the convenience of the quick swap feature and no travel energy cost.

Last edited:

ForgottenNote

Jan 25, 2020
The laboratory at 200$ might need to be reduced a bit, but it was set so high to encourage renting for one decade, focusing on training and brewing during that time, and then cancelling it until you need it again. This also keeps the school in play as an option for alchemy training when you don't have the lab rented.

The dungeon and boudoir are still cheap (20$/30$ in Camira and Serpis, "included" in higher tiers [Taurus charges 50$ for boudoir because it's an expensive district, so effectively the step-up cost to Korvus is 50$ less]).

The barn is "included" in Camira and costs 100$ everywhere else. The barn can produce income from egglayer, cow milk and pig. The barn also enables you to keep more slaves unfrozen for training, which can significantly augment your income. The barn should be able to pay for itself purely on the basis of its "products" alone, so the rest is bonus.

While the idea is to make the rentals expensive enough that just leaving them running isn't necessarily optimal, they are still dwarfed by other costs of living in the late game. An S+ intellect assistant with the secretary trait can reduce the variable portion of the billing by 35% to 75%, which translates to a savings of at least 280 to 420 sparks or as much as 600 to 900 savings per decade with the highest cost of living (in White Town). [Without the secretary trait, savings are 10% less.] In exchange for one negative moodlet and dropping S+ personality to A+, you can reduce the variable cost by 400$ to 600$ by maintaining the penultimate living standard instead of the maximum, which also reduces the possible accounting savings (140 to 210 sparks on the low end, 300 to 450 sparks on the high end).
Hard to comment on the numbers without testing. Might get to it at some point, but unlikely I'll start another game any time soon. On the lab, one reason to keep it rented is to be able to train alchemy yourself, to boost your sorcery ability as I assume it does. So it's convenient to just have it around to use it when you have the energy for it.

The way I've implemented it, costs in the slums go up after 20 decades (200 days played). The costs increase one more time after another 10 decades (300 days played). Still cheaper than living in Camira, but it becomes even harder to justify not moving out... and staying out. By day 300, most players will have completed training at least five slaves and have access to supplemental income from the arena. If it's a zero-start with no faction reputation, they might still be living in the slums, but otherwise it's unlikely. So this is mostly an added challenge for zero starts and a disincentive to moving back to the slums when you have other options.
Sounds fine with me, in the sense that I could never see myself again wanting to stay in the slums for more than 200 days.

Can you expand on these ideas a bit? What kind of favor, or what problems, or...?
She's introduced as a stab first, threaten after type of a thief and a pirate, so you could easily see someone from her past coming to haunt her after you've had her a bunch of decades. Maybe a former partner she betrayed actually gained access to Rome from the slums and now desires revenge.

First idea I had was that they'd kidnap your slave and you'd have to either trade Isabella for the slave or report to the fashy Rome authorities who'd take it very seriously and butcher both the slave and the criminal, resulting in the loss of the slave with a minor compensation payment. But that doesn't really work, it would be easier to grab Isabella than the slave who can't even go outside.

Second idea would be that the former partner was someone now somewhat respected in Rome and started spreading bad rumours about you and Isabella. You'd lose brand/guild/faction rep now and then. Could deal with it by giving Isabella over, selling her or maybe by training her up to 4 of 5 in obedience, when she'd be willing to be given to the former partner, then work against them somehow to cause them to fall from grace and you could recover Isabella. Maybe even gaining the former partner as a slave.

But I'm not a writer or a coder by nature, I like coming up with stuff and not making them happen, so I'm not very useful in actually making any of that a reality.

On another note on Isabella, you could maybe also just make her a bit weaker. My first instinct would be to cut down some of her favourable triaits. Maybe leave her with either Masochist or Disciplined, or both, as those fit her backstory. She just feels like too much free stuff too early.

No, no. I want to make guild rep progression easier, not harder. I also want to make it more valuable, by using it to gate the bonus income of using multiple arena contestants. Brand rep becomes exclusively about being able to sell slaves easier (contributes to charm threshold, meaning you don't need to spend as much prepping them for sale) or for more sparks (in variable-price sales like when you negotiate with business owners or sell at auction).
These all sound like sensible changes.

Agreed. I want brand reputation to rise slower up to A+. It's already slow from A+ from S+ because nothing moves the needle except selling A+/S+ slaves or socializing at the club (at most once per day, not always successful).

We currently do not show the master's detailed progression and I'd prefer to keep it that way because it adds an element of uncertainty (will today be the day?), but I do understand the frustration of not knowing if what you're doing is moving the needle at all. Guild contracts at least do tell you explicitly if you're making progress.
The point about rising brand rep over A+ is a decent example of a rule that's really hard to decipher from just the resources in game. That's why I'd want the stuff to be clearer. I could see myself, back when I started with the game, training up a bunch of medium quality slaves in hopes of just upgrading rep through quantity of sales.

I feel like the game either needs it all to be typed into the objectives info somehow to a very specific degree, or make to the whole process more opaque so you know when you're doing something right.

A stopgap method might be just writing all the reputation rules into a page on the wiki, as it already does a lot of heavy lifting on having details the game doesn't convey.

Selling slaves to district clients advances your level with the district if you're fulfilling a contract rank above your current rep with that district. That's it. Unlike other reputations, faction rep has no hidden progression. When you gain rep, you go up a level immediately. There is no bonus for exceeding the requested rank. Any ideas how best to communicate that in-game?

For example, if your rep with Camira is already D- (visible in objectives tab), then fulfilling a request for a D+ slave doesn't move the needle, but fulfilling a request for a C+ or higher slave does. Even if you skip a level (say you were D- and you fulfill a B+ request), you only gain one rank of faction rep (D- advances to C-), so you'd have to fulfill another request at the same or higher level (another B+) to advance again.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I learned this the hard way by selling a bunch of B+ slaves, skipping D and C, before figuring it out (not that it's that bad, you still make a profit). Maybe the easiest way to convey this would be to change the info on the reputation objective.

Currently the first level says "I have no relationship with the Taurus House. I ought to do direct sales in their territory." It could be changed to something in line of "I have no relationship with the Taurus House. I need to catch the eye of at least one member by selling a slave to them." Then on the next rank it could be "I have some acquaintances in the Corvus House, but not enough to access to the Raven Tower. I need to sell another slave to a better established member to spread my name wider there." (using the current Corvus text as base here for the start. It has bad spelling though, should either be "enough for access" or "to have access".)

That way the message would be more clear that's it's about the number of slaves, thought the rank thing might still be unclear.

I agree. Completing without winning should be a more positive outcome if you were second or third. Being last should still be a negative moodlet, I think. You can complete many races safely by slowing down to minimal speed and inching through.
Agreed with the caveat that often third place is also the last place, in which case I'm more inclined to reward than to punish.

Pony gear doesn't bother the slave if they have the Brony trait. Also, if they have the trait "Loves Helplessness", they enjoy wearing the harness (or petsuit / leather shackles). The tail is also acceptable to slaves with the pet trait.
This brings to mind that the traits are really neat, but I often end up not dealing with them because they're pretty vague too. Like can I train a slave to have Brony or Loves Helplessness? It not, then I'm inclined to still think pony training should help with the gear mood malus. If they are trainable, having the malus is perfectly fine.

I'd love it if there was a list of trainable traits and how to go about it somewhere. Also, if they're not trainable, I'd prefer for the Expert in the Guild, who looks for specific kinds of slaves, to be able to find you a Brony or whatever you desire.

There's a toggle on the assistant's rules screen to decide whether or not she is the assigned alchemist. If not her, then it's the slave. We could move this to the brewing screen.
Ah of course. When you're played so much you don't even see the screen anymore because you think you know where everything is. :p Would be more natural for it to be in the alchemy menu, somehow, but as long as it exists that's fine.

To not make the current interface irrelevant and retain the need to remember recipes (or revisit Mystra for a reminder), how about a "repeat last recipe" button? You'd have to brew step by step each time you change what you're making, but the repetition would save a few clicks. We could even skip the cut-scene and bring you right back to the brewing menu so you could just click-click-click as many as you want.
Sounds perfect.

Maybe the home cryo pod should be exactly what it sounds like, a separate pod. So you'd have the six in the cryo store plus the option of one more at home for 20$/decade (a lot more expensive than the six other pods, but being able to keep a seventh frozen slave can be valuable - I always fill up all the pods in the late game as I collect trophies faster than I can train them). We could give access to the quick swap buttons even if you don't have a home cryo pod, but you'd have to pay the travel energy cost if you don't live in Serpentine. I'm not in love with this idea -- reinterpreting the home pod as a portal might be better, effectively meaning you're paying 20$/week for the convenience of the quick swap feature and no travel energy cost.
I'm personally a fan of just having one pod at home for easy access for the 20 and then having to go to Serpentine for the rest over it being a portal, but here I'd go with whichever is easier to implement, tbh.

Last edited:

ForgottenNote

Jan 25, 2020
The instructions are not clear on how to install the patch.
The instructions are not clear on what kind of help you need. :p

Which patch? The L patch or patching an older game to the current version. Tell me what's stumping you and I'll help. What are you doing? What's failing?

ForgottenNote

Jan 25, 2020
The L patch.
You download the base game. First post, any of the four options under DOWNLOAD. You extract the archive, it creates a folder named "Jack-o-nine-tails v2.2.1".

You download the L-patch by going to the site linked with the name on the first post. Download the patch from the anonfile link. You open the archive. It contains files. You select all those files. Drag them into the Jack-o-nine-tails v2.2.1 folder. You get asked if you want to replace files. Answer yes. Wait for it to be done and you can play from Jack-o-nine-tails.exe in the folder. There's no message saying you've successfully patched the game. You can check if you've succeeded by starting the tutorial and picking Wilhelmina. If in the anatomy tab it says loli, you've succeeded.

Sadly I can't remember what files the L-patch archive contains. I think it's the game folder and a few other things. If you need more detail, let me know at what point the problem happens.

4.00 star(s) 59 Votes