minester

Sep 28, 2022
So I did this, right, and I figured out I have version 22H2 for Windows 10. I then went to the website and clicked on the section for this, but all the things listed there just say that it would already be in the "Add a Feature" section of Windows that I also used for the media player, but whenever I search it there there is no media feature pack or anything. There is also no download for it listed on the website because it says for this version of Windows 10 it should be a part of the "Add a Feature" section (but it's not) and I'm hesitant to just go searching for it on the internet because who knows what I may accidently end up downloading.
Also here are screenshots
1668976133977.png

1668976158180.png

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
For Windows, you enable WMP with: As for MSVC, yeah, you'll need x86 and x64, but also two different year versions. MSVC is a runtime library of software wrote by Microsoft and has different 'year versions' where features were added, deprecated, blablabla. In short, various developers used various versions, and it could be any of them. On setup of any modern Windows PC you should just go ahead and install all of them. If you're using some watered-down crap version of Windows such as Windows N editions (media player stuff removed by default) then yes, you'll need to add the feature pack *as well*.

As for which, try checking eventvwr.msc and see which library it might be bitching about. It's probably Windows Media Foundation (through WMP). (You may see things relating to 'Qt', or 'wmfengine', *maybe*.)

This shit is why QSP needs to be dumped, it uses old backends and has practically no support for hiDPI and everything in JONT was written using non-relative units of measurement...no forward-compatibility. Needs a rewrite. Serialization overhaul, too. Not to mention cross-OS issues because of the way QSP is serializing objects for save-files incorrectly.

Edit:

jack.exe (32-bit) uses MSVC 120 aka MSVC 2013 x86 but also seems to possibly reference VCRUNTIME140, which is 2015 as well.
Jack-o-nine-tails.exe (32-bit) is a cross-compiled executable, not sure what library (MSVC 6?). This is only a 'launcher' to jack.exe. If you try jack.exe, and it works, then your issue is with the launcher. Someone could try Dependency Walker to tell you which versions for certain.

Last edited:

minester

Sep 28, 2022
I don't think the problem at this point is the MSVC stuff because I already went through all that, it's just the media feature pack. I cannot find an actual download anywhere for the pack for the 22H2 version of windows 10. Everything I can find about it just says you can add it through the optional features thing, but it is not there for me whatsoever.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I don't think the problem at this point is the MSVC stuff because I already went through all that, it's just the media feature pack. I cannot find an actual download anywhere for the pack for the 22H2 version of windows 10. Everything I can find about it just says you can add it through the optional features thing, but it is not there for me whatsoever.
I always used the classical way of adding Windows components. Look up how to add DirectPlay back to Windows. Same exact steps except for selection of component.

minester

Sep 28, 2022
What's happens if you go into the game\engine\ folder and run the jack.exe in there? Same error?
It does give the same error, although (I don't know if it actually means anything though) it actually opens up something unlike the other .exe which just gives the error and does nothing, but the thing it opens up closes as soon as I click Ok on the error

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
It does give the same error, although (I don't know if it actually means anything though) it actually opens up something unlike the other .exe which just gives the error and does nothing, but the thing it opens up closes as soon as I click Ok on the error
Did you try to restart your computer since after installing the last thing you activated? Might be worth a try.

minester

Sep 28, 2022
Did you try to restart your computer since after installing the last thing you activated? Might be worth a try.
I went to control panel and went to turn on/off stuff or whatever, I saw that I did not have the media player enabled through there, and so I enabled it and restarted my computer. I then tried running both .exe's and nothing changed. Also, just to make sure, these ARE all the visual studio things I need right? 1668982781597.png

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I went to control panel and went to turn on/off stuff or whatever, I saw that I did not have the media player enabled through there, and so I enabled it and restarted my computer. I then tried running both .exe's and nothing changed. Also, just to make sure, these ARE all the visual studio things I need right? View attachment 2183128
I saw that v2019 was updated to 2022 recently...

I suggest deleting all of those you downloaded (at least both 2015-2019), and redownloading again via this link:

I've update the Installation links in the OP in consequence (y)

Reactions: StJesuz

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Did you try downloading the dependency walker?

Get the v2.2 for x64, run depends.exe, open game\engine\jack.exe, press the file time stamp label to sort by time (notice the ^ on my screenshot, click there), scroll to the top of the list to see missing modules, and compare to my list:

1668986223544.png

minester

Sep 28, 2022
I saw that v2019 was updated to 2022 recently...

I suggest deleting all of those you downloaded (at least both 2015-2019), and redownloading again via this link:

I've update the Installation links in the OP in consequence (y)
Okay, so I redownloaded the 2015-2019 ones using the link you provided and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Did you try downloading the dependency walker?

Get the v2.2 for x64, run depends.exe, open game\engine\jack.exe, press the file time stamp label to sort by time (notice the ^ on my screenshot, click there), scroll to the top of the list to see missing modules, and compare to my list:

View attachment 2183230
I did this, and this is what I ended up with, but I don't really understand any of it. 1668986838115.png

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I did this, and this is what I ended up with, but I don't really understand any of it.
It shows you are missing some core Windows files but I think it might be incorrect. Doing a bit of research, that version of the dependency walker is quite old and some people say it isn't able to correctly locate those files on certain newer versions of Windows.

Maybe this tool will be more useful:

Running DependenciesGui.exe from that (via Download here link) should do the same thing as dependency walker in terms of showing missing files but it is more up-to-date. On my system it doesn't show anything missing...

minester

Sep 28, 2022
It shows you are missing some core Windows files but I think it might be incorrect. Doing a bit of research, that version of the dependency walker is quite old and some people say it isn't able to correctly locate those files on certain newer versions of Windows.

Maybe this tool will be more useful:

Running DependenciesGui.exe from that (via Download here link) should do the same thing as dependency walker in terms of showing missing files but it is more up-to-date. On my system it doesn't show anything missing...
Using this one, it says I'm missing one thing, but it says I'm missing MSVCR120 which earlier you said was the x64 2013 redistributable, but I have that one downloaded already 1668988192278.png

4.00 star(s) 59 Votes