the_sexiton

Dec 30, 2022
I started a run of the game on normal mode with Johnny as my character. I got my first slave up to D+ and bargained to sell her off for 800 sparks in the necropolis area. I had to pay back 600 for my loan but that left me with 400 sparks which is 200 sparks more than I started with. Seems like I've got my foot in the door. I plan to stay in the slums until I have a good amount of money saved and I've earned some of the special rewards. I might even train an assistant before I move into a district house. That way when I move into a house and get Isabella I'll have what I need to deal with her. I've been paying 3 sparks a day for a meal at the pub and my house costs are only 9 or 10 sparks a decade. Smart use of the hot springs and beach can keep bathing costs down. I've been relying on the school system to train as Johnny has no skills outside of magic. I'll probably deal with assistants and maids and then move up to witch doctor. At that point I'll probably start messing with the gladiatrix. Each slave seems to have some "thing" about them that is hard to overcome and requires a bit of micromanagement. The game is still very hard but I think it's better than it was before. Just my two cents.

One other thing, I started a custom sandbox game on hard mode with a custom character and honestly it feels easier than normal mode with johnny. Being able to customize your character allows you to optimize the points in your favor and makes the game easier even on hard mode in my opinion.

BliniKot

Nov 2, 2021
I started a run of the game on normal mode with Johnny as my character. I got my first slave up to D+ and bargained to sell her off for 800 sparks in the necropolis area. I had to pay back 600 for my loan but that left me with 400 sparks which is 200 sparks more than I started with. Seems like I've got my foot in the door. I plan to stay in the slums until I have a good amount of money saved and I've earned some of the special rewards. I might even train an assistant before I move into a district house. That way when I move into a house and get Isabella I'll have what I need to deal with her. I've been paying 3 sparks a day for a meal at the pub and my house costs are only 9 or 10 sparks a decade. Smart use of the hot springs and beach can keep bathing costs down. I've been relying on the school system to train as Johnny has no skills outside of magic. I'll probably deal with assistants and maids and then move up to witch doctor. At that point I'll probably start messing with the gladiatrix. Each slave seems to have some "thing" about them that is hard to overcome and requires a bit of micromanagement. The game is still very hard but I think it's better than it was before. Just my two cents.

One other thing, I started a custom sandbox game on hard mode with a custom character and honestly it feels easier than normal mode with johnny. Being able to customize your character allows you to optimize the points in your favor and makes the game easier even on hard mode in my opinion.
that's the way to go with Johnny, I done that like 5 times already haha
you can do zero to hero like me and set everything to F but strength at D-, it will be a lil bit harder than johny
also you are even more frugal than me, I usually move in the outcast at around 1000 saved

the_sexiton

Dec 30, 2022
that's the way to go with Johnny, I done that like 5 times already haha
you can do zero to hero like me and set everything to F but strength at D-, it will be a lil bit harder than johnny
also you are even more frugal than me, I usually move in the outcast at around 1000 saved
Outcasts is where I plan to go as well haha. I guess we have similar interests. I do usually save a bit and get an assistant up and running before I move. I find the farm and Isabella can drain a bit of cash before they start to benefit you and I don't like to take a chance if I run into a bit of trouble. I'm not a veteran of this game though so I'm sure my methods are far from optimal when it comes to making cash.

I just finished up my second slave with a C+ rating but due to my living conditions I can't bargain for higher prices. I got 1000 sparks out of the deal but I think it may be more rewarding to just stick with D+ slaves and bargain for about 800 sparks. The extra 200 sparks isn't worth the time and money to push them up another level until I have a stronger brand and better living conditions. Or that is how it seems to me at this point.

One recommendation that I have to improve the game is the drugs that you can buy from the shop in the outcasts area. It would be nice if you could see the description for each of them and what they do by placing the mouse over them. As it is you have to click on them and buy them just to figure out what they do. Of course there is the wiki but it's this kind of lack of info that makes the game feel harder to learn when you start out.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I just finished up my second slave with a C+ rating but due to my living conditions I can't bargain for higher prices. I got 1000 sparks out of the deal but I think it may be more rewarding to just stick with D+ slaves and bargain for about 800 sparks. The extra 200 sparks isn't worth the time and money to push them up another level until I have a stronger brand and better living conditions.
You can sell C- assistants to the real estate office for 850$. You can sell C+ at auction for potentially more than 1000. Higher charm and multiple specializations helps raise auction price. You can also raise brand reputation by spreading rumors in the central forum to improve bargaining and charm.

One recommendation that I have to improve the game is the drugs that you can buy from the shop in the outcasts area. It would be nice if you could see the description for each of them and what they do by placing the mouse over them. As it is you have to click on them and buy them just to figure out what they do. Of course there is the wiki but it's this kind of lack of info that makes the game feel harder to learn when you start out.
(y)

Mr. Cofman

Apr 16, 2024
Hmm...~
I tried something unusual, perhaps.
Bought a new set of clothes for a fresh slave and paid for a full beauty treatment.
She was happy and even said something like: "I'm surprised you are good guy, perhaps we can even come to an agreement?".
Honestly, I didn't mind it, and I was happy to know that I can deal with my woman without need to commit a violence.
But... she refused to even learn how to cook...
She regretted that later of course...~

Mackrel

Nov 3, 2020
Hello! I downloaded this game around 1-2 years ago (Oct 2022, if my file dates are to be believed) and the version I got then was just the stable version (v2.2.3). Just started poking around the thread again, and there seems to be a lot of updates, but only to the dev version. I was thinking about starting another playthrough, and I'm just wondering which version is the currently preferred version? It seems like the last stable version is still v2.2.3, but is there a more recently updated dev version that plays better? (Eg. More content, bug fixes, etc.)

the_sexiton

Dec 30, 2022
Gladiator battles seem much more challenging. I maxed out a character's stamina and gladiatrix ability, bought some chain mail and a katana, made it to the championship match and simply couldn't win no matter what I tried. I tried using the two handed battle axe and one shotted the first character but the veteran battle was very hard and the championship match I managed to win but it took a bunch of tries. Very hard compared to last years build of the game. My character was rated C+ at the time, I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it? Do drugs have any effect on how much power you have in the arena? Either way, I got my bull ring which cost me 1,500 sparks in losses for training the champion. I'll probably build 1 assistant and two more auction sales before moving into a house. It's easy to get tangled up training someone and have it take way longer and cost way more than you originally anticipated. Better safe than sorry.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Gladiator battles seem much more challenging. I maxed out a character's stamina and gladiatrix ability, bought some chain mail and a katana, made it to the championship match and simply couldn't win no matter what I tried. I tried using the two handed battle axe and one shotted the first character but the veteran battle was very hard and the championship match I managed to win but it took a bunch of tries. Very hard compared to last years build of the game. My character was rated C+ at the time, I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it? Do drugs have any effect on how much power you have in the arena? Either way, I got my bull ring which cost me 1,500 sparks in losses for training the champion. I'll probably build 1 assistant and two more auction sales before moving into a house. It's easy to get tangled up training someone and have it take way longer and cost way more than you originally anticipated. Better safe than sorry.
Have a saved game from the championship battle?

Drugs that affect energy affect the green heart in combat, but not above “full”. So mostly no. Rating doesn’t affect.

Keep in mind that you can move out of an apartment if it starts looking unaffordable. And a dungeon allows you to train two slaves at once.

Last edited:

the_sexiton

Dec 30, 2022
I don't have a save sorry. I ran into a slave that had good stats and her pride was at the "Proud" level. For some reason I couldn't manage to drop her pride no matter what I tried. I bought a collar and the crown of thorns. Had her sleeping on the floor and doing maid work. Her pride was pretty much holding steady. Anytime I started to make slow gains on her pride she would get despair and start trying to kill me at night. I got in a fight to the death about 8 nights in a row and giving her a happy drug was the only way to keep her from trying to kill me for a single night. After I beat her 8 times with Johnny she killed herself. All I was trying to do was lower her pride 1 notch and all of her other skills seemed fine. If I was nice to her and gave her big rewards she would be stuck at 1 thorn of resistance no matter what I did. After fighting her for 5 hours and trying everything imaginable, I gave up and trained someone else. The next character was easy as heck but she was retarded and as fat as they come so I had to spend a bunch of time bringing her up from retarded to dimwitted. I then trained her in Gladiatrix and managed to transform her from the fattest option to a "model". I won the the gladiator contest with her and moved on. All of my saves including the one you wanted was from the first girl who was a master gladiator but I would lose her if I won the contest because I couldn't get any obedience out of her regardless of how nice or mean I was. It was rewarding to get the ring but sometimes I still run into an impossible slave that I can't seem to identify the cause of her difficulty or find a solution to work though it.

On the topic of the dungeon. Doesn't training two slaves at once cause you to make them sleep in the dungeon which ruins their attitude and makes training a nightmare while raising the costs of food? I believe I did a test on this last time and I did make more money from training two of them but it required having the farm setup and producing milk and eggs as well as having the farm hand, my character, and my assistant triple train them. In the end it took 2x as long to train them in the real world but did pay out a little more. It requires alot more thought and effort though. Don't think I'm ready for that.

Isabella requires leaving her as an assistant and slowly going through all of the sex training in order to get her pride to go down and then you have to sink time and money into getting her skills at a level where she can really train a slave. Getting a cow and egg layer going takes a bunch of time and resources as well. I just feel as though I need a massive stockpile of sparks before moving on even if I'm going to the outcasts area. That being said, I'm not complaining. I like a slow paced game that is hard as nails. Just my experience with the game so far.

I did a test run yesterday with 1000 sparks in the outcasts area and I ran out of money before I could get Isabella beyond the C+ mark. Last time I sold two S+ slaves at the auction and had about 20,000 sparks before moving out of the slums and everything worked out. Still takes forever to get everything setup and running at the farm but I started to make huge gains after I did it and the rest of the game was pretty much easy from there. I think my problem is that I tend to focus on a single problem and remove it from the situation or turn it into a benefit before moving on. I think you are supposed to take losses but let small benefits make up for them and just let assistants and other boons slowly build over a very long period which is why I have trouble here. It's not an issue, it just means being more prepared before you set out on your own.

My approach to the game... I usually focus on solving my money issues while I'm in the slums. Then I take on more multitasking to erase my monthly costs while I'm in the outcasts area and then I do even more multitasking to boost efficiency just for the heck of it once I'm in a nice house somewhere. With a little saving the best house in the game is possible and some of the end game quests require a bit of grind to complete. That's been my approach so far but this is only my second serious attempt at playing all the way through the game.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I don't have a save sorry. I ran into a slave that had good stats and her pride was at the "Proud" level. For some reason I couldn't manage to drop her pride no matter what I tried. I bought a collar and the crown of thorns. Had her sleeping on the floor and doing maid work. Her pride was pretty much holding steady. Anytime I started to make slow gains on her pride she would get despair and start trying to kill me at night. I got in a fight to the death about 8 nights in a row and giving her a happy drug was the only way to keep her from trying to kill me for a single night.
Pride rises when a slave is unhappy. The best thing to do with pride in most cases is ignore it. It will resolve over the course of training.

After I beat her 8 times with Johnny she killed herself.
If you had a capable assistant supervising, the death could have been prevented.

All I was trying to do was lower her pride 1 notch and all of her other skills seemed fine. If I was nice to her and gave her big rewards she would be stuck at 1 thorn of resistance no matter what I did.
Sometimes it's best to be patient while aura stats develop further. Train her in what she's able to learn.

It was rewarding to get the ring but sometimes I still run into an impossible slave that I can't seem to identify the cause of her difficulty or find a solution to work though it.
When this happens, please share a saved game.

On the topic of the dungeon. Doesn't training two slaves at once cause you to make them sleep in the dungeon which ruins their attitude and makes training a nightmare while raising the costs of food?
One will sleep in the dungeon, which certainly doesn't help her mood, but you can compensate for that. Even one action per day is better than being iced and making no progress. Yes, there is an increased feeding cost, but you can increase your profits accordingly.

I believe I did a test on this last time and I did make more money from training two of them but it required having the farm setup and producing milk and eggs as well as having the farm hand, my character, and my assistant triple train them. In the end it took 2x as long to train them in the real world but did pay out a little more. It requires alot more thought and effort though. Don't think I'm ready for that.
The farm is not required for prisoner + slave parallel training, and brings its own benefits and costs.

Isabella requires leaving her as an assistant and slowly going through all of the sex training in order to get her pride to go down and then you have to sink time and money into getting her skills at a level where she can really train a slave. Getting a cow and egg layer going takes a bunch of time and resources as well. I just feel as though I need a massive stockpile of sparks before moving on even if I'm going to the outcasts area. That being said, I'm not complaining. I like a slow paced game that is hard as nails. Just my experience with the game so far.
Isabella can train common skills to B+ at least, and will over time level up her cleaning and cooking skills if given those duties even without additional training. Acting as a teacher will also train her own common skills, albeit at a slower rate vs. taking lessons herself. So there is no requirement to focus and invest significantly on Isabella's training. Even if her pride did rise, as long as she still does her job, what's the issue with that?

I did a test run yesterday with 1000 sparks in the outcasts area and I ran out of money before I could get Isabella beyond the C+ mark.
Unless you are training her for immediate sale, why waste time and money training her instead of a slave that you do plan to sell?

Last time I sold two S+ slaves at the auction and had about 20,000 sparks before moving out of the slums and everything worked out. Still takes forever to get everything setup and running at the farm but I started to make huge gains after I did it and the rest of the game was pretty much easy from there. I think my problem is that I tend to focus on a single problem and remove it from the situation or turn it into a benefit before moving on. I think you are supposed to take losses but let small benefits make up for them and just let assistants and other boons slowly build over a very long period which is why I have trouble here. It's not an issue, it just means being more prepared before you set out on your own.
Indeed ... tunnel vision is risky in this game. There are many interacting factors to balance. If you allow despair or spoiling to accumulate then they may undo gains made elsewhere.

My approach to the game... I usually focus on solving my money issues while I'm in the slums. Then I take on more multitasking to erase my monthly costs while I'm in the outcasts area and then I do even more multitasking to boost efficiency just for the heck of it once I'm in a nice house somewhere. With a little saving the best house in the game is possible and some of the end game quests require a bit of grind to complete. That's been my approach so far but this is only my second serious attempt at playing all the way through the game.
Once you have enough funds to cover a few decades of rent, it's usually better to rent an apartment. The Slums are cheap in rent but costly in other ways.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
As an experiment, using the latest dev build, I started a normal game with Teacher and took the first market slave, Pretty, Tough, Insensitive, Lively, Clever, Uncertain, Aloof, Voluptuous.

I left her naked with her default rules for a while and only used rewards and punishments and lessons. Since she had a lot of energy, I spent it all every day, even if that meant punishing her more than two times (which the tutorial advises against). As a result, she quickly gained despair and attacked a couple of times at night. I defeated her each time using a stool (first option) and using only the first attack. I started with a couple of psychological punishments, then moved over to flagellation, then erotic bondage when she reached 3 guilt. Note Teacher has no bondage skill, and erotic bondage is particularly harsh on mood with a slave who hasn't accepted sex yet, so using that was not the most optimal choice.

Eventually, concerned that she might escape and end my experiment prematurely, I decided that I didn't want to pretend not to know about collars and brands (which would be hinted in the escape text if it did happen), so I acquired a leather collar and a brand tattoo for her. Once I equipped the collar and was looking at her equipment (and the description when clicking on "naked" saying she might be happier if she had something to wear), I decided it was a reasonable time to get her some clothing, so I put a maid outfit on her. Somewhere along the way, when she got 1 merit, I also gave her a reward of soft slippers (first on the clothing gift list). Even with this, she was depressed most of the time due to low hygiene and remembered punishments.

By the way, I was doing all of this in the Slums, with only occasional spa visits after she was already in positive obedience. I got an apartment only after she reached D+ (with B+ maid and B+ cook) and I went out to see if I could now sell her (used the forum customer search but didn't find any buyers).

The only rules I changed from her defaults were act as cook (after apartment), act as maid (once she reached D-) and behave: humility (some time after she reached D-). At day 25, all of her despair is gone and she is Pleased, although her temperament and nature dropped to Reserved and Spineless.

She has a Sanity warning and would have dropped to Cold but for some lessons which raised her temperament. However, with Aloof pride, even if her temperament had dropped to Cold she would not have crossed the sanity threshold, so there were still a few more days to clear her depression (which was trending down as she was ending each day Calm).

TBell67

Sep 22, 2021
An end of day update for when your farmhand slaughters your pig would be a nice notification for players who don't use their dungeon to keep another pig on-deck.

Maybe even a toggle-able set of farm updates so you can choose whether your farmhand gives you a daily update on eggs produced, etc. At the moment it feels like a bit of a black box whether your egglayer is working until the end of decade report.

Max&Chloe

Mar 16, 2021
I agree we need to improve this for Johny (and Uncle Tom). Which are, incidentally, the highest difficulty normal starts.

Most of the other normal starts do not seem to have this problem with Isabella.

Do you like the changes since 2.2.0 outside of the training system?

These factors are different motivators for obedience. This says she is strongly rationally motivated to seek rewards and avoid punishments (awareness is her "it is better/safer to obey" self-talk) and is highly accustomed to following orders (habit is her acceptance of slavery) but does not instinctively feel that the slaver is superior (taming is reflexive obedience, her motivation to obey before thinking about it). Finally, she is motivated to obey because she has begun to adopt a slave morality (judging herself by how well she serves and pleases her owner before attending to her own desires).

The idea that taming can diminish without aura superiority didn't come from nowhere. Quoting the tutorial in 1.7.5:

With the goal of making training more varied, we've increased the extent to which attributes influence outcomes. A slave with S+ nature (willful) is consequently harder to tame. A couple of points difference here or there can have a big impact, as in the scenario you are experiencing. We can make this better without discarding the concept that taming can decline with low aura strength.

Isabella used to be a bit of a "cheat" - or at least we felt so - because of how good her stats were. We wanted to reflect her back-story better. She is desperate to escape from the Slums and she trades conditional obedience ("Just do not go too far; I will not work in fear") for safety. She also was not able to get into the city on her own merits, because of her age and appearance. So we adjusted some of her attributes and traits to better align to that concept. But we took it a bit too far since she is not fulfilling for you her promise ("if you treat me fairly I will do anything you command"). A boost to her obedience is clearly justified.

Johny is a weak child so it's not unreasonable that he has trouble taming a mature, strong-willed adult. Even if Isabella's taming drops to zero, she still is useful as an assistant. I gave several examples earlier of how she can be tamed even in the current version. We've updated the tutorial to describe additional methods of raising taming.

Let's examine whether Johny can prevent Isabella from losing taming in the current version by boosting his aura strength:

View attachment 3666868 View attachment 3666878 View attachment 3666885 View attachment 3666893 View attachment 3666904 View attachment 3666905 View attachment 3666916 View attachment 3666917 View attachment 3666918

Johny is labeled "maximum difficulty" and "cannot afford an apartment yet". So it is expected that some time will be spent living in the Slums before acquiring Isabella, during which time Johny's dominance characteristic will develop. If Johny moves into the Serpis apartment, his Personality will rise and stabilize at D-. If he raises his Allure and acquires Noble Regalia, his aura almost matches Isabella's. If Personality rises to C- or strength to B+, no taming loss will occur.

So we could adjust Isabella's attributes here so that she is weaker, but I think a different solution (see end of post) will be better.

C+ food only drains B+ strength by 1 point. Johny has a high libido so he can gain multiple strength points each day either from sex or from physical punishments (if sex is refused). Even if Isabella's taming is zero, one point of fear is enough for her to accept sex currently.

Devotion can increase even with zero taming, which would double her obedience in the current version. For example, raise Johny's allure (spa men's treatment) and Isabella's mood and put a wedding dress on her:
View attachment 3667478 View attachment 3666847

All feedback is appreciated and will be taken in good faith, especially when it is detailed and constructive as yours has been. Thank you for taking the time to test and share your observations. While we may not (yet) see eye to eye on design, I hope we can continue to look for common ground.

For now, I've updated the dev build to 2.2.6.15 with a backwards-compatible boost for Isabella's obedience and a reduction in the rate of taming fading overnight so if you load your game with the new version she should be at least D+ (limited from C+ by lack of common skills) even with zero taming.

I've also updated her profile so that when she is acquired in a new game she will start with zero taming. After all, she barely knows the slaver when she is first acquired, and she is brave and willful.
Thanks for your reply and changes. I will give your a detailed reply later and share another troubling slave in which case I think it very interesting.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
An end of day update for when your farmhand slaughters your pig would be a nice notification for players who don't use their dungeon to keep another pig on-deck.

Maybe even a toggle-able set of farm updates so you can choose whether your farmhand gives you a daily update on eggs produced, etc. At the moment it feels like a bit of a black box whether your egglayer is working until the end of decade report.
1716843555390.png 1716843582030.png

bumped dev version to 2.2.6.16 -> https://f95zone.to/threads/jack-o-n...tsman-community-development.390/post-13549085

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes