VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 87 Votes

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
It only sucks when a good game, that went a decent distance, gets abandoned, for whatever reason.
There are tons of games being abandoned regularly, but the majority of them never made it past a couple updates, and that doesn't really matter. Easy come, easy go.
This game had a good story, good renders, well built characters ( in my opinion, anyway)...it just seemed to be going in a good direction. Then this.

Warhammer1981

Feb 2, 2018
Hello all. I’m not Inkalicious, just a friend here to pass on an update.

There’s no easy way to start but Inkalicious has been in hospital and out-patient care for a long time now. I’m not going into specifics but he’s expected to make an almost full physical recovery and is receiving the best care and support from family, friends and fantastic professionals.
I’m here because I shared a flat with Ink when he first started this and the only one irl who knows about this. I also got into VNs through his work and this site, so thanks Ink? I’m also here because he’s an idiot who feels guilty about leaving this unfinished with no updates. (He’ll read this. So yes, you’re an idiot)
I’ve read the comments here and understand why he feels bad about this, so here I am with some updates.

So, firstly, he’s sorry (think we covered the idiot bit) and he’s very happy that people still remember this, even if they’re sad or pissed off at the unfinished state. He still intends to release the text-only with the models but he doesn’t have access to the PC they’re on. I definitely don’t want to search through his files to find them as there are many versions and different folders, no idea if I’d get everything and who knows what else I’d find. We both don’t want that. So Ink will get around to it when he’s able.

To the people who want to continue this with their own story. Ink says go for it. He’s all about collaboration and thinks it’s great that people are interested enough to continue it. I’ve suggested that maybe instead of trying to get the files he just gives an outline of the story and paths and others can fill the dialogue and images. He’s a perfectionist though so we’ll see.

He knows the related, and of course unfinished, Kindread game was released here. The idea behind that was to introduce a smaller VN with characters and story that will appear in the main game, but stand alone. It’ll never be finished and does have an uncomfortable start, so here’s a spoiler of the whole thing.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To any Patreons that are still around, sorry I couldn’t get the login to work and it’s too complicated to fix it. So this is the only place I’ll update and Ink will deal with it when he can.

I think I've covered everything he wanted so this will be the last time I login as Ink. Hopefully it won’t be too long before he’s back to his smutty ways.
I’d just like to add that I’ve been very impressed and touched with the general vibe on this thread, and Ink definitely has been. Hope everyone keeps well and this is not-Inkalicious wishing you all the best.
It is wonderful that Ink is returning eventually. Is there any donation drive that he is running? For a story like that, would be quite glad to help with his medical fees.

Reactions: rip-basium

balboa2151

Jun 10, 2023
hello all...I just came across this game..I just finished now and then and it was one of the best games I've ever played...I came across this game hoping it would give me as much enjoyment as now and then..then I read that it had abandoned written next to the title and my heart sank in despair especially reading in the comments how good it was...hopefully the developer makes a full recovery and finishes the game

El Buho

Nov 2, 2019
...hopefully the developer makes a full recovery and finishes the game
I agree. Is there ever a case where some other dev or skilled game maker takes over and continues a game if the original maker is ok with it? Kinda like when a TV network takes over to produce/show a series when the original network has given up on it?

Reactions: Demnor

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I agree. Is there ever a case where some other dev or skilled game maker takes over and continues a game if the original maker is ok with it? Kinda like when a TV network takes over to produce/show a series when the original network has given up on it?
I thought of one and DMed you (since you're not supposed to mention names of other games on a thread like this), but you're correct in assuming it's extremely rare to happen.

Reactions: El Buho

MannyTearson92

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2021
MannyTearson92 Like you mentioned above, Will you be working on this project? Wondering since RIC doesn't seems to be an active project right now.
No. The Original Dev is coming back. No reason to. And I'm glad, too, because I do think the Original Devs should be the one to finish it. Otherwise, if for some reason he couldn't, I would take over and try to finish things in his view.

Right now, no projects are active until I can buy a Graphic Card. Which might be a few months from now. Trying to get all my other debts paid off and then I can finally focus on Computer repair and Upgrades.

darogard

Nov 18, 2023
Wow. That is some fine dialogue and character writing there. And I mean not just AVN writing. Fun! These games are most definitely not the most important thing in the world, but it would be a real shame if the author couldn't play with it some more, at any pace and scope really. Get well mate, and best of luck!

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 87 Votes