VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 89 Votes

Rintal

May 6, 2017
As a person who does not know English well, I suddenly wondered what the name of the game means? Google Translate is choked on these words. Is this some kind of lingo?

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
As a person who does not know English well, I suddenly wondered what the name of the game means? Google Translate is choked on these words. Is this some kind of lingo?
It's probably meant to be a of " " and " ".

Nubatron

Mar 25, 2018
They're not exactly strugling to survive from what we see. In fact a crippled chick with a crossbow survived just fine
The crippled chick with the crossbow didn't survive on her own though. She had a guardian who had some... fetishes... And she likely had a food store even after said person turned.
But you can also look at Mary. Try not giving her a knife. See what happens. Or like half of the routes in Chapter 4.
Danger is just around the corner. This was proven on several ocassions so far.

Reactions: MarioDude

Chaos_Gardian

Oct 20, 2019
The crippled chick with the crossbow didn't survive on her own though. She had a guardian who had some... fetishes... And she likely had a food store even after said person turned.
But you can also look at Mary. Try not giving her a knife. See what happens. Or like half of the routes in Chapter 4.
Of course you have to have a relatively secure base. We have seen that they are not in any real danger from zombies at the moment. We have also heart of other camps that were doing fine. Most of the danger in these kinds of words is from other survivors. Just look at the walking dead.

It is also a fact that if no new people are born the human race will go extinct.

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
If a knife is all you need to make it you aren't having it hard. No offense.

Unless you're planing to suicide at 55 you need kids, or else you'll be food or starve for lack of it.

Reactions: Renzon

Mr TGB

Jun 19, 2017
This update was very short, like we were already in chapter 4 from the previous release. This update took probably less than 5 minutes to finish where I left off from the last update.

I will say this, the sister is starting to bore me and her recklessness will get MC killed. :mad:

darlic

Feb 27, 2017
This update was very short, like we were already in chapter 4 from the previous release. This update took probably less than 5 minutes to finish where I left off from the last update.

I will say this, the sister is starting to bore me and her recklessness will get MC killed. :mad:
I don't think a game like this would need such levels of drama... surely there will be some plot twists and unexpected developments during the story (e.g. the big cliffhanger at the end of ch4), but to have someone killed, I think it's too much. Another dev tried this already and that resulted in a huge shitstorm towards him (yes, I'm still mad about it) because he clearly added something not everyone expected just for the sake of it. I only hope Inkalicious doesn't dare to go this far, because I can't stand another big disappointment as I experienced back then

Reactions: Mr TGB

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Sorry for the confusion Rintal . Kinderfeld is correct, it's a made-up word I used to tie together a planned series of VNs.
You can see how quickly that's all coming together...

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Ch5_131.jpg
I've returned with an update and some thoughts/comments on the recent chats here.

Firstly, my patrons* have voted for an early release of Chapter 5 content.
This will mean a Chapter 5: Part 1 will be available in the distant (but not as distant as a full Chapter) future.

Parts will not be an equal length and the first part's length will be determined by when I reach a good pause point, to leave you hungry/angry for more.

Which brings me to...

Chapter lengths and choices

Chapters have a life of their own and while I can chat stats with you all the day long, it's all subjective as Hell (lines of dialogue vs images vs choices, etc.). And it's going to 'get worse'.
For instance, Chapter 5 has two possible beginnings. In anyone's terms that's 'double' the work when perhaps only a few will ever see one path. Also certain relationships are now very different, so in the same scene there are many different dialogue paths and often image alternatives. No complaints, but choices are a click for users, a time sink for developers.

On choices. I'll try not to punish you, but the story needs its ups and downs.
I think the game (that got everyone upset) did a brave thing in terms of drama and an 'either or' choice. However I'm not going to do that, in those terms, but I do like to make seemingly simple choices matter.
Whether Marie gets the knife or not, it isn't the salvation to a life in the apocalypse, but it does matter for one moment. A moment that will affect a character much later.
I've also said it before. The results of your very first choice will only become apparent near the end. Again, I'm not going to punish you, but there are consequences.

Just like some people don't think through the real consequences of pregnancy...

*For those who don't know, I have a Patreon account, but it's closed and I'm simply fulfilling rewards to original patrons for the moment.

Nubatron

Mar 25, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Will the Chapter 5: Part 1 release have content for both starting points?

Have you considered using names for each chapter instead of numbers? Many Easterns VNs do this instead of calling each chapter by numbers, because that way it's easier to know which route someone is on. So in this case, since (probably) both starting points lead to a vastly different "chapter 5", both of these could have a different "name" to call it by.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I've returned with an update and some thoughts/comments on the recent chats here.

Firstly, my patrons* have voted for an early release of Chapter 5 content.
This will mean a Chapter 5: Part 1 will be available in the distant (but not as distant as a full Chapter) future.

Parts will not be an equal length and the first part's length will be determined by when I reach a good pause point, to leave you hungry/angry for more.

Which brings me to...

Chapter lengths and choices

Chapters have a life of their own and while I can chat stats with you all the day long, it's all subjective as Hell (lines of dialogue vs images vs choices, etc.). And it's going to 'get worse'.
For instance, Chapter 5 has two possible beginnings. In anyone's terms that's 'double' the work when perhaps only a few will ever see one path. Also certain relationships are now very different, so in the same scene there are many different dialogue paths and often image alternatives. No complaints, but choices are a click for users, a time sink for developers.

On choices. I'll try not to punish you, but the story needs its ups and downs.
I think the game (that got everyone upset) did a brave thing in terms of drama and an 'either or' choice. However I'm not going to do that, in those terms, but I do like to make seemingly simple choices matter.
Whether Marie gets the knife or not, it isn't the salvation to a life in the apocalypse, but it does matter for one moment. A moment that will affect a character much later.
I've also said it before. The results of your very first choice will only become apparent near the end. Again, I'm not going to punish you, but there are consequences.

Just like some people don't think through the real consequences of pregnancy...

*For those who don't know, I have a Patreon account, but it's closed and I'm simply fulfilling rewards to original patrons for the moment.
I'm just happy to see you back at it. I'll happily replay the game to see where my different choices take me. :)

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Will the Chapter 5: Part 1 release have content for both starting points?

Have you considered using names for each chapter instead of numbers? Many Easterns VNs do this instead of calling each chapter by numbers, because that way it's easier to know which route someone is on. So in this case, since (probably) both starting points lead to a vastly different "chapter 5", both of these could have a different "name" to call it by.
Yeah. Part 1 will have the same content as the final Chapter. It´ll just end at a point that Part 2 will continue from.

I don´t think chapter names would work as players will already be on different paths with different characters, apart from their decision at the end of Chapter 4. You´ll also have more relationship stuff to decide in Chapter 5.

PhantomZero

Jan 28, 2019
Glad you're back and able to continue your game. I immensely enjoy the small changes that each decision seems to make. Its refreshing to see some consequences to our decisions and actions even beyond just intimate scenes. Its really immersive to see just how much your choices can affect the stability and condition of the others.

I'm looking forward to what's coming next. I for one like to go through a choice based game with my first instinct with choices first, then do a second play to see if anything would be different. I was pleasantly surprised to see the variations that came about and how choices in the beginning came back at you if you were dishonest.

Last edited:

V-red

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder why the tag 'Onhold' still wasn't removed? It's surely not needed there anymore.:unsure:

Aug 14, 2018
I wonder why the tag 'Onhold' still wasn't removed? It's surely not needed there anymore.:unsure:
Though I do think you are right, I also have got the impression that "on hold"-tag discussions have some history and can be a touchy subject.

4.60 star(s) 89 Votes