blastwave2k

Jun 23, 2017
This doesn't have any of the main problems that sandbox games usually have. Yet.

My main complaints with sandbox games are
1. Inconsistencies in dialogue/interactions because events happen in a different order to expected.
2. Having big choices or different paths. A sandbox isn't as easy to replay through so if you can't get all the content you want in one run, that sucks.
3. Missable content. When playing events in a different order, or not having certain stats/flags when an event occurs results in either missing a scene or getting a less complete scene.
4. Timed events. When you only get 100 days to complete everything, or 30 days for all stage 1 events etc.
5. Not knowing what to do. You have the hints system so this doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

2, 3 and 4 are all very similar and relate to fear of missing events. Often resulting in use of walkthroughs, cheating or reading the code.
1 breaks immersion.
i can agree with that, but i would add a couple "sandbox" elements that i hate. not saying this game has these. am saying, these are some of the things that make me ignore or delete sandbox games. every great while i will try one based on screenshots that look interesting or scenes that look hilarious. but usually the same thing happens every time.

1. "hunt and go fuck yourself". i hate searching empty space after empty space to try to find the event that happens on a specific day and/or a specific time and/or with a specific person. twice as obnoxious if it involves finding a key item, inventory management, anything of the sort. triple as obnoxious when a game is developed a little at a time, and you have to also search for the new stuff each update, or god forbid restart and replay
2. "russian grind". to fill the lack of content, why not repeat content. over and over, with possible point grinding, to get slight changes on scenes. or the many magic progressive steps of sex scenes. or just to get the scenes period. this including having to "earn" money for purchases, gifts, etc. no. fucking. thank you.
3. "easter eggs". its no longer fun to find things or search for things, when i'm already trying to find or search for the goddam story. or the triggers to progress the next step of the story. at this point, i just go rip CG.

thats just my opinion. a little bit of it. all i care to type out for now. some people LOVE this shit. think its what makes a game a game. otherwise its just a VN with choices that may or may not matter right? so have at. sandbox away if thats your vision. there's an audience for it, tho lots of improvements have been made since the big brother days in user interface and quality of life for players.

i do think dev hit the nail on the head, and honestly that's what got me to even reply to begin with. if its too hybrid, maybe it won't appeal to either crowd.

May 26, 2020
So. We thinking we're gonna have some classic sandbox game "catch the girls on the toilet" scenes, or is that something you're not really interested in doing?

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
So. We thinking we're gonna have some classic sandbox game "catch the girls on the toilet" scenes, or is that something you're not really interested in doing?
That is something that's in my original plan. I am a fan of those random encounters to spice things up. So possible at some point. The next update should be a smaller quicker one with some repeatable content and outfits you can buy, and then pregnancy being possible of a specific character in the next one, as well as having a baby. (content I'll added over the next few weeks)

Reactions: travin213
May 26, 2020
That is something that's in my original plan. I am a fan of those random encounters to spice things up. So possible at some point. The next update should be a smaller quicker one with some repeatable content and outfits you can buy, and then pregnancy being possible of a specific character in the next one, as well as having a baby. (content I'll added over the next few weeks)
Good good. You'd b amazed how many degenerates like me you can suck in with a couple repeatable, noncommital peeing scenes like that lol

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Ok so tried out this game.. It looks like quite a bit of work went into it.. but too much 3D for me I'll stick with the great looking moe Koikatsu I hate the appearance of standard 3D. Everything was so square again it's that stupid 3D toy appearance that most 3D has. The landscape looked more like a water painting than grass or that with that blurred appearance.

One comment I have to say those is the developer needs to learn the meaning of Evening from Night Time.. Could not see shit at evening it was fucking night time. Seriously EVENING is NOT NIGHT! Evening is around 6pm and still has some light to it.. this evening was pure dark.

If your like me and like better background that is nice and detailed and the cleaner appearnce of Koikatsu than this game is not for you just like it is not for me.

• Angry
Reactions: cbsx

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
Ok so tried out this game.. It looks like quite a bit of work went into it.. but too much 3D for me I'll stick with the great looking moe Koikatsu I hate the appearance of standard 3D. Everything was so square again it's that stupid 3D toy appearance that most 3D has. The landscape looked more like a water painting than grass or that with that blurred appearance.

One comment I have to say those is the developer needs to learn the meaning of Evening from Night Time.. Could not see shit at evening it was fucking night time. Seriously EVENING is NOT NIGHT! Evening is around 6pm and still has some light to it.. this evening was pure dark.

If your like me and like better background that is nice and detailed and the cleaner appearance of Koikatsu than this game is not for you just like it is not for me.
Thank you for your feedback.

My thought process with the graphics was:

1) Honey select games are successful, people must like that style.
2) Honey select 2 has better lighting than honey select 1
3) All the background scenes that I needed (such as a cottage) looked very bad using the assets in Honey Select 2
4) I tried using tools to import my own models and levels into honey select 2, by first converting into a unity level, and then attempting to use tools to get it into honey select but I tried for weeks, asked others for help, and nothing worked.
5) So I decided the quality would look better if I modeled the locations in blender, and rendered them in blender with full lighting simulation and then imported them as background images into honey select 2.

But some things I learned:

1) A clean art look is one of the most important things, as you say, and I should not have gone with the strategy that I did.
2) This process is a huge amount of work, with not a lot of flexibility, especially when things like tables and chairs from the background are infront of the characters.
3) As graphics advance, engines such as honey select look more and more dated, and less and less appealing to people. Some people may still play and enjoy the story but it's far from optimal.
4) Honey select 2, and other graphics engines are lacking in all the kinds of lewd things I wanted to put in the game, such as clothing removal, squeezing boobs and having them actually morph and squeeze between the fingers, cum and tears that actually looks good, and many other lewd things that do not look as good in 3D. I did manage to do some of these things for Kingdom Harem with image editing software after the renders but it's very far from ideal. Even if I were to do a game in Koikatsu, it will still lack much of these things.

So my plan is:

To finish KH for the fans and my subscribers, and make the rest of the stories as well as the ending very enjoyable.

Then to turn off my patreon and focus full time on developing a strong and very clean 2D hand drawn art style, as well as develop skills in 2D animation.

And then to start my next project which will be a cleaner 2D hand drawn branching visual novel, without any sandbox elements.

No project will be perfect. There's always more to learn, but that's my plan.

Last edited:

cbsx

May 4, 2020

If your like me and like better background that is nice and detailed and the cleaner appearnce of Koikatsu than this game is not for you just like it is not for me.
So it looked to you like a lot of work went into so you shit on it based on it based on subjective art opinions not content. Nice.

"The developer needs to learn..."
What you mean this game that is being made by one person and not an entire Japanese game studio?

"I hate the look standard 3D..."
This game's characters were produced using Honey Select by Illusion Software... what's that other game they make? Oh yeah... Koikatsu... :rolleyes:

Do you work for Illusion? "I'll stick to the great looking Koikatsu..." "If you're like me blah blah background blah blah Koikatsu..."
Time to explore the rest of the adult game market... geez...

Turn up the brightness on your monitor or fix your gamma... there's nothing wrong with visibility at evening/night with this game.

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Turn up the brightness on your monitor or fix your gamma... there's nothing wrong with visibility at evening/night with this game.
Nope this is one place that I know my brightness is correct I use a Datacolor Spyder4 Pro Colorimeter and my color, contrast, brightness is all correct +/- 10 cd/m2. So I can accurately say that the evening is way too dark.

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
Nope this is one place that I know my brightness is correct I use a Datacolor Spyder4 Pro Colorimeter and my color, contrast, brightness is all correct +/- 10 cd/m2. So I can accurately say that the evening is way too dark.
I forgot to address this part of your feedback, in my previous comment.

My decisions to only have one rendered day time, and one rendered night time background image for each location was based on render times, for what was feasible. It takes about 6 hours per render, and originally there were many more locations and angles of locations in and around the house. This is not to mention that if I were to have characters doing things in the house, I would have to do separate render and lighting setups for every possible time of day for all of the story events, that I rendered a separate background lighting for, for events that could take place at different times.

You could turn around, walk down the stairs on the outside, and there were many other in between images for walking around originally, so re-rendering everything for all times of day instead of just night/day wasn't "really" feasible. The reason there were more looking around, and walking around images is that I was inspired by older games like Myst and Riven, and wanted a calm ambient feeling of walking through the house between stories. But most people hated this, so I wound up deleting most of the code as well as, images, and locations, and reducing everything to the minimum number of spots required by the story as well as putting those buttons for adjacent locations in to make navigation easier (Before the navigation mechanics were copied from Myst/Riven but given a more polished look), but these new bubbles evenly spaced at the bottom, with images and text descriptions, that I put in for navigation are easier than that.

I wanted to make eating dinner in the evening and have that be part of the "night" scenes, because there were only night and day backgrounds for above reasons.

Because Blender uses an accurate real world lighting simulation, the lighting in the house was difficult to achieve good contrast for. Again if I were to start from scratch I would do things differently. What I did do, is put blue lights into blender for the very dark locations like in the bathroom at night, as well as softer blue lights in certain areas, and opened the rendered night background images in gimp (image editing software) and increased the contrast as much as I could without the images starting to look very strange.

But yah, as a single dev it's all time management tradeoffs, trying to figure out what the most import things are and focusing the most on those.

But in certain parts of the world is does get dark in the evening so it's not impossible in fantasy location.

Your signature says you are the Dev of tales of Unity? Is that right?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
Half of the time I try to create a save the game freezes, is there a fix?
I haven't heard any one else have this issue.

I've updated to the latest version of renpy (the game engine I'm using), so there should hopefully be less issues with the next version I release. This will mini-update coming sometime before the 11th or 12th at the latest, with a small amount more story and some other things.

Reactions: Dragon59

International

Dec 9, 2019
Just started and tried to talk to olivia while she was fishing at the river and got this error:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

From the little I've played, the game looks fine, and the premise sounds great. But it is hard to see anything in the night scenes.

Reactions: _Utakata_

mavixxx

Aug 9, 2020
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/scripts/Home/Outside/Behind Dock.rpy", line 17, in script
call screen sc_behind_dock
ScriptError: could not find label 'talk_olivia_fishing'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 617, in main
run(restart)
File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
File "game/scripts/Home/Outside/Behind Dock.rpy", line 17, in script
call screen sc_behind_dock
File "renpy/script.py", line 910, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'talk_olivia_fishing'.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Kingdom Harem 0.3.1
Sun May 9 13:56:47 2021

3.60 star(s) 16 Votes