Sweet Force

May 18, 2017
I don't understand I don't understand how hreinn can have 6842 patreons how? At the same time, let's say the game pale carnations 4823, how can it even be 2 years fed with filler, while the fucking word filler animals usually shit in filler and hreinn fans eat it, I don't understand how long it will last?
My theory is that those patreons were there before this game and they are not leaving because of nostalgia, the development of Noxian Nights was excellent, it is like people who continue to trust Bethesda because they made good games many years ago.

Reactions: Enigmanic
Aug 12, 2018
I don't understand I don't understand how hreinn can have 6842 patreons how? At the same time, let's say the game pale carnations 4823, how can it even be 2 years fed with filler, while the fucking word filler animals usually shit in filler and hreinn fans eat it, I don't understand how long it will last?
Hreinn has currently 633 paid members. Which is only around half of what they used to have after Noxian Nights
and the first 1 to 2 years of Kingdom of Deception.
My estimation is that they make something around $2k per month, which isn't that much if you have to split it between 3 people and way less than the $6k+ they had before SierraLee left.

So I think losing half of your fans and around two thirds of your income is IMHO a normal outcome for their evolution as developers. You also have to take into account that they also steadily generate new backers who newly discovered the game.
Not many since most of their backers came from here I assume, but still enough to not drop further.

Ion.TemUS

Jun 8, 2017
Another game with years and years of devtime where the quality gets worse and worse until it all comes tumbling down, huh
I think in the case of most games it's the long runtime/development time that actually low key ruins their development. The longer the time stretches the harder it becomes to manage the constant fan-requests, own ideas and storylines. It's like with a lot of AAA titles that start with a clear vision, but it becomes muddier and muddier over time thanks to content bloat, changing designers and directors (insert changing patrons and requests here), diluted by personal side-plots and what you end up with is a game that looses it's core vision and overstays it's welcome. At that point a lot of the developers themselves actually get sick of developing for it or have highly fluctuating motivations that partially clash with fan requests, and then you have a recipe for a game that dies a "slow death". Which is why IMO a game should be at least 1/4 or 1/3 developed with it's first version/demo, then clearly plan it's scope and development time, scrap side-storylines if they get too long and convoluted and have a decent system of scrapping gameplay/sytem ideas that don't make it beyond the conceptional stage. It keeps the game "clean". Experimentation with systems should be a thing in the first half of the development stage, as fun as it is, and later on you should have a clear pipeline that you follow and minimum requirements for content delivered (at least X portion of originally planned main story content in Y timeframe (months normally)). And once the game is at the end of it's live-development cycle there should be a way to draw it to a natural conclusion. Any plot-threats that are side-plots, popular side-characters, storylines hinted at can be deal with in sequels. You don't need to finish the entire story in one game, you can always close a big chapter and put a bow on a certain part of a storyline and then make a clear cut, look at what you are working with and then decide if you want to continue in the same universe / with the same characters or if you want to explore a completely different game/genre/character and come back to it later. That keeps things fresh, both for you AND your fanbase and it ensures you haven't been working on the same game for nearly a decade without ever having "finished" it, making both you and your (former or current) fans jaded as all hell.

Reactions: Drakorios

bitchass92

Dec 11, 2020
I think in the case of most games it's the long runtime/development time that actually low key ruins their development. The longer the time stretches the harder it becomes to manage the constant fan-requests, own ideas and storylines. It's like with a lot of AAA titles that start with a clear vision, but it becomes muddier and muddier over time thanks to content bloat, changing designers and directors (insert changing patrons and requests here), diluted by personal side-plots and what you end up with is a game that looses it's core vision and overstays it's welcome. At that point a lot of the developers themselves actually get sick of developing for it or have highly fluctuating motivations that partially clash with fan requests, and then you have a recipe for a game that dies a "slow death". Which is why IMO a game should be at least 1/4 or 1/3 developed with it's first version/demo, then clearly plan it's scope and development time, scrap side-storylines if they get too long and convoluted and have a decent system of scrapping gameplay/sytem ideas that don't make it beyond the conceptional stage. It keeps the game "clean". Experimentation with systems should be a thing in the first half of the development stage, as fun as it is, and later on you should have a clear pipeline that you follow and minimum requirements for content delivered (at least X portion of originally planned main story content in Y timeframe (months normally)). And once the game is at the end of it's live-development cycle there should be a way to draw it to a natural conclusion. Any plot-threats that are side-plots, popular side-characters, storylines hinted at can be deal with in sequels. You don't need to finish the entire story in one game, you can always close a big chapter and put a bow on a certain part of a storyline and then make a clear cut, look at what you are working with and then decide if you want to continue in the same universe / with the same characters or if you want to explore a completely different game/genre/character and come back to it later. That keeps things fresh, both for you AND your fanbase and it ensures you haven't been working on the same game for nearly a decade without ever having "finished" it, making both you and your (former or current) fans jaded as all hell.
Sure bud but we know in this case what happened here. Nomo was a solid artist and probably had some great concept ideas. But as far as vision, scope, management, and business acumen turns out not so much. The rest of this is just excuses for people that take on projects lightly and AFTER taking money from people admit or (secretly admit and refuse to do so publicly) that they can't do it. You "ideas" of how to build an h-game project fall flat considering there ARE many creators who DO successfully finish projects in a timely manner with a strong public face.

Unless of course YOU have some projects to your name?

• Angry
Reactions: Gyzul and Sneed's

Great730

Oct 3, 2019
I don't want to say that you're wrong, but remember the Noxian nights, remember the beginning of the kingdom of deception, they were very similar in both plots, a woman wants revenge in both gets to a new place, and so on. the problem is not in the fans, but in the developers

Ion.TemUS

Jun 8, 2017
Sure bud but we know in this case what happened here. Nomo was a solid artist and probably had some great concept ideas. But as far as vision, scope, management, and business acumen turns out not so much. The rest of this is just excuses for people that take on projects lightly and AFTER taking money from people admit or (secretly admit and refuse to do so publicly) that they can't do it. You "ideas" of how to build an h-game project fall flat considering there ARE many creators who DO successfully finish projects in a timely manner with a strong public face.

Unless of course YOU have some projects to your name?
I don't want to say that you're wrong, but remember the Noxian nights, remember the beginning of the kingdom of deception, they were very similar in both plots, a woman wants revenge in both gets to a new place, and so on. the problem is not in the fans, but in the developers
Hold your horses friends, you clearly misunderstood me. In no way have I said it's the fault of the fans. I said the problem was that the vision was lost and the game overstayed its welcome. The only thing I said to fans was that that fans and fan requests were changing. But that has to be managed. That is not the job of the fans. It's a developers job to keep their vision, not over-bloat their game or get distracted by side-content too long. So yea, it clearly went wrong at some point. I don't think in the case of Hreinn it's malicious, but I think the bubble has burst at this point and it certainly is a matter of managing the whole project. Be that that the motivation/passion is just gone, or the content pipeline has major issues. But yea, I talked about the vision, in no way did I say it's the fans fault and idk how you got the idea.

Reactions: Enigmanic

kklol

Jun 3, 2018
Probably hard to motivate yourself to finish when you're getting paid anyways. This is why I dislike patreon model.

Umbra.Nox

Mar 12, 2020
Probably hard to motivate yourself to finish when you're getting paid anyways. This is why I dislike patreon model.
Unfortunately many people think that the more money creator gets - the more productive he becomes. But overpaying hurts them a lot, and probably in an irreversible way too, you can't just start paying less and expect them to get motivated again, they'll be insulted and sad by such a downgrade. A flawed system, where it eventually kills a lot of creators.

3.90 star(s) 74 Votes