4.10 star(s) 50 Votes

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
This. Agree 100% the Fiona situation is not NTR.
You know people on this forum have no clue what NTR is when the only case of NTR that could be made is being dismissed.

She's a lover that is lost to the MC maybe to another man causing him jealousy and pain. That is text book NTR.

How something that text book is dismissed yet people cry NTR the second they see another penis on their screen has made my day, it's hilarious.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
You know people on this forum have no clue what NTR is when the only case of NTR that could be made is being dismissed.

She's a lover that is lost to the MC maybe to another man causing him jealousy and pain. That is text book NTR.

How something that text book is dismissed yet people cry NTR the second they see another penis on their screen has made my day, it's hilarious.
We know it's too late or too early in old Blighty to read carefully but if you pay close attention to what we wrote our reasons are absolutely compatible with the definition of NTR.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
From the MC's POV, he's getting cucked and he surely feels like shit. No one argued against that.
From our viewpoint as players, Fiona's drama doesn't cause any jealousy since we were not invested into a character we hadn't even interacted with. She wasn't a romantic interest for us so far. It's quite simple.
The exact same thing happened in Bad Teacher's first scene, for example. There's no NTR tag in that game either.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020

So seeing another penis on the screen makes your day? Wow. :cool:

Edit...no wait, it's seeing someone else see another penis on the screen. More wow. :cool:

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
We know it's too late or too early in old Blighty to read carefully but if you pay close attention to what we wrote our reasons are absolutely compatible with the description of NTR.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
From the MC's POV, he's getting cucked and he surely feels like shit. No one argued against that.
From our viewpoint as players, Fiona's drama doesn't cause any jealousy since we were not invested into a character we hadn't even interacted with. She wasn't a romantic interest for us so far. It's quite simple.
I think you need to go read every thread NTR is mentioned then come back and tell me what you said makes sense.

I'll give a quick example.

Game came out showing mother and son in the banner, 2 scenes in the mother gave her husband a handjob. No one knew these characters, no one was invested in these characters yet the NTR cries went up. Can't remember name of that one, i'll hunt it down.

Glimpses of the past. MC meets a girl on a train and has a few sentences conversation, no one is invested in this character, she'd had less screen time than the MC's girlfriend here yet she is seen fucking someone else and the NTR cries go up again.

That goes against what you've just been saying and the reason I find any and all talk about NTR absolutely hilarious.

Everyone has their own take on it yet none of it is ever consistent.

erkper

May 16, 2018

It's so textbook that there is actually nothing but assumptions - granted, the dev absolutely wanted and wrote for those assumptions to be made - that there is anything happening which you would define as NTR. Even if there WERE something going on - an assumption which has been denied by the dev himself within the very conversation you use to belittle our understanding of "textbook" NTR - Fiona is not creating jealousy as she is not presented as a current LI to the player. Your examples are all exactly on target, they show interactions with current potential love interests. Fiona has, to this point, been presented purely as a part of MC's past. Do you really think any game which portrays the MC as not in a current relationship with every person they've ever had sex with is "textbook NTR"?

If you want to delve into the realm of speculation and create a scenario where Fiona comes to town or MC goes back to college and an interest is expressed by one or the other to resume their relationship, and THEN it is confirmed that cheating has occurred, well then at that point you can start railing for "textbook NTR." But that situation does not exist and I'm fairly sure tags on this site don't exist for scenarios of future speculation.

TrissLover

Sep 15, 2020

As many know by now, the Adult Visual Novel world lost what I like to think as, one of the "Original Bigs". Guys who I feel helped pioneer VN's in more western orientation vs the traditional and very popular eastern ones(Europe and American style vs Japanese). Those "Bigs" are the likes of Mr. Dots, Dark Cookie, and the late Palmer.
Some know that Palmer and I had a falling out about a year and a half ago. I'm not going into the story nor will I answer any questions. Simply put I had my issues and parting ways was the best option at the time.
I did harbor anger for some time, and up until about 4pm CST yesterday, thought I still did. But when I got the news, it threw me for one hell of a loop. I had stuff I had to get done that afternoon and evening, but as soon as I was finished, it started to sink in again, AVN's had lost a pioneer and I had lost a friend. Now, while we did not part as friends, I still spent a lot of time over a year talking, laughing, crying, gaming, and just basic day to day hanging out with Palmer.
Palmer and I disagreed a lot on many things, but we accepted to agree to disagree. From Politics to Religion we discussed the gamut.
When I first was introduced to VN's it was to a game called "Lab Rats". After completing it and loving it, I started to search for more games and ended up finding DFD Chapter 8 on fapnation. I saw the patreon and joined that as well as the discord. I started chatting with the active people, Palmer among them, made a few mistakes to which Lonecanuck corrected me and within a day was given the honorary role showcasing I was an active member. My wife eventually joined due to growing curiosity of this discord I was so active on and she herself got to know Palmer as well. And while Palmer could sometimes be a bit weird or uncouth, he was never outright mean or blatantly rude to us.
After being asked to become a mod, it really solidified my friendship with Palmer. He trusted me enough to help moderate his server. Not to say we didn't butt heads on occasion about how best to do certain things, in the end, I learned a thing or two. It was also this that got me close to lonecanuck who I still consider a very dear friend.
Palmer would often invite me to games, e.g. Pogo Monopoly or similar and I would have him join me on my Youtube channel and play "Gold with Friends". Lots of swearing, raging, and Palmer trying to cheat or Z calling himself names I would later have to censor in editing.
Around this time I started trying to make my own VN. Palmer graciously offered up his Engine. I was flabbergasted. They had been asked by multiple people if they could use their Engine and they would be denied. I never even asked and Palmer offered it up for us to use. There is a much longer story here that is not relevant, but due to circumstances, we did not end up using his Engine. The thought however still remains and was an extremely kind gesture.
Few know that I had a cat before Jarvis, named Thor. We lost him when I was still very active on Palmers discord and he offered a lot of support and suggested I post a memorial message into his announcements as many on the server knew Thor and would also mourn his passing. I did just that and Palmer was very supportive and helpful during that time. When Palmer had to part ways with his beloved German Shepherd myself and the mods were there for him to help ease the pain.
Palmer was not a perfect man. However, none of us are, least of all me. He had his flaws and I think mixed with my own is what caused our ended friendship. In grieving you focus on the good, often not the things that may have bothered you about a person. I find myself doing that now. I remember the good times I had with Palmer and laugh at myself for falling out as looking back it seems very silly why we did.
My heart and those of the rest of Thunderline Studios goes out to his friends, family, team, and his fans. This man who was to many, larger than life, has passed on and they will feel the hole as we all will for a time to come. I do not know if Palmer's shoes can ever be filled. But maybe that is the point. Like a Jersey, you simply retire it. Those shoes don't need to be filled. What needs to be done is honor the fallen and use his legacy that he created for us. Palmer was one who helped carve the way for VN's as we know them today. Many of us probably wouldn't be here were it not for him or those he came up with. Whether you loved Palmer or hated him, you cannot deny his charisma and the fact that he helped pioneer, whether on purpose or accident, the western stylized VN market.
Due to complications, Palmer's company "Love Joint" has had to make changes because Palmer was in sole control of the patreon. Love Joint has set up a new one and is asking anyone subbing the old one to drop it. A refund is unlikely due to how patreon handles them, but if you feel like supporting the new patreon or hopping on their discord to say hi, link to their announcement of Palmer's passing which contains links to their discord and an explanation of the current situation. Their discord also has a channel for remembering Palmer.
Love Joint plans to continue to move forward and if you are already a sub and love their work, please understand one very important thing: Palmer was part of a team. That team knows what they are doing. If you loved their stuff before, it isn't going to change. Don't fear that the stories will be different, or the art won't be the same, it will. Love Joint wants to continue this for Palmer, so don't be afraid to continue support. Show them love just like you have if/when you can. They are good people and are hurting just as much if not more.

I think I have gone on long enough. I hope this finds everyone well, and if you are a fan of Palmer, make sure to show the Love Joint team some love if you can. Again, we wish his family, friends, team, and fans the best in these tough times.

My best to everyone,

Xor

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1602944883376.png

A little departure here as I wouldn't normally put out a dev update this week. But two things prompted the update. I'll start with the first thing. Palmer, founder of Love Joint, passed away unexpectedly. The news reached all of us this week. Our resident genius-in-chief, Xor, has a very wonderful post about what Palmer meant to many of us in the adult game space, and him in particular, so .
For me, Play With Us is the first adult game I played. It left quite an impression. I searched out other games and found Love Joint's newer games. I believe Love Joint was the first dev I pledged to, though my memory is a bit hazy there. I've played nearly every game, or at least a few installments of every game currently in the Love Joint catalog. That dev team is pressing on, despite the enormous loss, and their new Patreon page .
The second reason for my dev update is that I've been doing work in Blender the last couple of weeks. Questions are bound to arise from this. OZ and have been huge helps here in answering my dumb questions and providing advice on how to best go about this. To answer your first question, "Will Thunderline be switching render engines yet again?" Answer: Without a doubt, though I can't say when. No switch for Last Call .4, as development for that is underway. This situation is different than our last switch, as Daz hasn't stopped working or anything. I'm just outgrowing Daz. At this stage, I'm going through tutorials, asking questions, and spending a bit of time each day in Blender. Model conversions are a bigger deal this time around, especially since I'd like to get closer to photorealism with them. I expect those to take a number of days of work on their own.
"Why would I even switch?" may be another question. A ton of devs use Daz, and almost no one uses any other 3D software for adult visual novels. Maya and 3D Studio Max are a bit out of our price range. Truth is, Daz is great at what it was intended for - character renders. But it has significant limitations in animations, advanced realistic materials, and more complex environments. These are all areas where Blender excels. Oh, and did I mention I can do sculpting in Blender so I never have to touch Zbrush again? #Blessed
You'll notice the image for this post has a comparison. The Blender version is still very much a work in progress, as I've really been focusing on just the face with Annie this week. Once I get that dialed in, I can quickly take those settings to the rest of the skin. Hair clearly needs adjustments before it is where I want it to be. But hey, progress and it's been fun to experiment with the materials.
I also feel like I won the lottery this week as my nVidia RTX 3090 cards arrived. A big improvement in render speed, though my old setup wasn't exactly slow (unless I really did a poor job on lighting). But nice to get some quicker previews for more complex and dark scenes without just keeping my fingers crossed that they render well. And, of course, these will come in handy for animations. I'll be back next week with another update!
OH WAIT! Join us this afternoon, 3PM US Central Time, (or late night, for you wonderful Europeans) for our !
- IT Roy

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1604730063319.png

Tearing down foundations. That's certainly what it feels like I've been doing the last couple of weeks. It's been a nice period of learning. As previously mentioned, I've been doing work in Blender. However, thanks to a busier than normal day job and my recent sickness (feeling much more human now), Blender had to take a back seat. That has meant photorealism, materials, lighting, and photography tutorials is what I've been spending any spare time doing. I've learned a ton (and have quite a bit more to go, of course).
This led me to spend some time working on Annie from Last Call. Every model has a few challenges, even once you have a good idea of how to setup a Daz model properly. If you're an Annie fan, you might want to stop reading here, and skip to the next paragraph (lol). But Annie had some significant skin issues. A major reason you always see her with a bright light on her face. I couldn't continue to suffer through those. Several days later, I had a highly improved Annie model (see the image in this post for an example - it's in 4K). The changes are subtle, but a big improvement. She lights consistently now, the skin has improved texture and depth, and her makeup is a bit better too, I think.
After Annie, Fiona was the most problematic character. She also had skin issues and some lingering expression issues. I've gotten both fixed, and actually have all the main ladies from Last Call mostly updated. Clothing that looks good and actually conforms properly to the body is the next task for them. The men of Last Call also need some work, though they should be much easier. Not only do I now know the basic parameters that I need to update, but only one of the guys had any significant issues I had to work around.
Did I mention that I had to overhaul the bar lighting for what seems like the hundredth time? Well, I did. Good news - it looks better and render times are slightly improved. Bad news - it will need some texture work, as well, to get it more to the new standard where I want it. On the environment front, I've largely completed one new environment we need for Last Call .4, and I have another in progress.
The downsides of learning as I go is that there are often times I have to take a step back and make changes before going back into regular renders. But I wouldn't want to ignore what I'm learning for the sake of the renders looking the same. You're never truly done with something like this. My latest renders should always be better, as a whole, than what came before. Pretty soon I'll be back to Blender for some more work there. I wanted to be in Daz for a lot of this work, despite its limitations. I know it very well, so that gives me fewer areas where I might stumble and make a mistake just due to lack of knowing what's possible.
Be back in two weeks with another update. Stay safe, and look for some more previews of the character and environment improvements here soon.
- IT Roy

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
So .. 2 more weeks of gurls running their tears as we contemplate the plastic surgeory dev means 4 them...
Fine .. fine ... gonna play me some more of the hot scenes with the fiery bombshells before they expire.
Game on!

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
View attachment 891580
Goodbye 3.Annie :cry: . Hello plastic Annie:D
yep, their legitimate choice though.
as their choice was to start a second project, only upon starting the first one, claiming it wont, or it will minimally, affect the first project updates dynamics...yet, for now it seems as a rather heavy impact...add the blender now, those "subtle rendering improvements", and here it comes - revamp, redone or whatever...
unfortunately this could end with "we wanna it all, yet we arent done anything"...hope not be the case, though.

Reactions: EZ8lt

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

When you learn something, it's tempting to start from scratch and implement it in only new things. But it can be very helpful to use your old renders to apply new things you learn. I've been doing a lot of tutorials on lighting and composition lately. It's definitely made me realize the flaws in my renders, along with some bad tendencies I've developed. I've been spending a bit of time reworking old renders to improve, and I've got some things to show off. Fair warning: I reserve the right to come back in a few months or years and find the flaws in my rework too! This learning experience never ends.
Example #1 - Lydia
1605152166800.png
Old Version
I chose this one because originally I thought it was one of my stronger renders. I've got the different lights, with a very bright moonlight accented by some torch lights around the pool area. She is stepping out, peaceful, and it's the moment before she sees you. BUT there are some issues here. Lighting is too bright overall, and it isn't focused. I used some bigger lights here with spotlights to accent her figure. But even those had a broad area they cast light on. I'm also not happy as the area around her is still too in focus. It's faded, but almost competing with her. Finally, you've got her face, her breasts, and her ass all competing for your attention. And with the bright light, you know it's night, but it almost feels like dawn with the brightness on her front side.
On a positive note, it's pretty good materials around her (the water needs some work). She is in a good position in the frame, and the columns echo her pose here to reinforce it. No crazy extraneous light anywhere either, and it's pretty clear where the light is coming from. I really like the contrasting colors of the light too.
1605152183312.png
New Version
Now, for the rework. I took out my massive lights and added some more direct and focused spotlights on her front and back. Since our moonlight is going to be bright here, I added a point light to light the floor outside of the pool. A better contrast between the lights is needed, and really one has to win. So this was easy. Her ass can take center stage. I'm really happy with how the front light provides definition for her, and my initial focused spotlights I added still left her too dark in the front. I could have cranked that up, but you'd still get a dark shadow around the side of her face that is towards the camera. No bueno. I need that side dark, but not so dark. She isn't someone lurking in the shadows. Turns out that my original front spotlight for her was in a PERFECT position to fill that light in a bit, once I turned down its brightness. I also could use my original backlight on her to make sure that her back was well lit.
With all those changes, I did what I normally do when setting up lighting: turn off all the lights in the scene (except for any HDRI I am using - did not use one here) and start the render. Then turn them on individually. This really helps me get a feel for what each light is doing. Also lets me know if a light needs to be moved closer, farther back, angled differently, etc. Where I had the lights turned out to be near perfect, so it was adjusting intensity to get the look I wanted. We now have the light drawing attention to her ass, with the other parts of her lit nicely, but shadowed enough that your eyes can settle on one thing. The final fix here was to up that depth of field, which meant lowering the f/stop on my camera. An f/stop of 10 was just too out of focus, so I settled on 15 here. For all the photographers here, this is for the Daz Studio camera. That is not a camera that is very real world, so something to note with my values. The render went very smoothly with no noise, so I finished up the render with postwork in Photoshop (That discussion is for another day).
Example #2 - Annie
1605152198783.png
Old Version
For this next render, I knew it had some issues. But I chose it because I was bored one night, but needed something rather simple to tweak. Can't get much more simple than volleyball on the beach with a closeup shot! The original render had a few issues: swimsuit ain't great, I'm a bit zoomed out on the character, the sand is horrible, the lighting is flat. It's a sunny day on the beach, but I've started to get some nice ideas from photography tutorials on how to bring out more richness from these shots. Also, Annie has been completely reworked based on some things I've learned and how poorly her skin looked in certain lighting environments.
1605152209861.png
New Version
For the new render, we have a completely redone Annie, so that automatically helps a bit. Second, the sand was changed out for a much better material. Even though it is more blurred here, thanks to depth of field, it feels more realistic. Only one big problem - the new sand looks a lot closer to her skin tone, and a pink bikini, especially with the shadows, doesn't work. This isn't a fashion shoot, so I don't want the clothing to be your focus area. But I do want it to look nice and have contrast. That's why she has a nice blue bikini here. I slightly tweaked the pose, but mostly just rotated the camera around a bit. I wanted it closer on her AND I needed the volleyball still in the shot. Her hair now is moved around just a bit to simulate movement, but that did not come out as nicely as I would have liked. Finally, I made her expression more serious. For this image, I'm assuming she is not winning, but getting ready for her comeback.
Lighting was the big adjustment here. New HDRI to light, with its brightness turned way down. Also had to rotate it or I got just these horrible looking shadows on her face. A spotlight on her face to draw your attention there and then a fill light on her front to soften those shadows just a bit. The rest was all Photoshop as I worked to balance the highlights and shadows, as well as improved the tone (Daz NEVER produces great tones, but that's what your postwork is for anyway).
Final Thoughts
Revisiting your old art can be painful, but it's very valuable. It can reinforce what you're learning, and help you spot common issues in your work. Unless you really did a terrible job the first time, it's also easier to fix something than start fresh. Critiquing yourself is often a step we rush through or skip, but it's important to see where we can improve. Then actually put in the work to correct mistakes. Don't forget to take notes while you do this, so when you come back six months later, you'll remember how to do that obscure thing that is now needed again. I'm sure I'll have some more redo examples soon.

Last edited:

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1605583306798.png

I did this render originally a couple of months ago. But since I've improved the textures on the ladies, Xor requested an update. Other than the textures on the models, I changed up the bar lighting a bit and changed Annie's outfit to something nicer. Hope you all enjoy!
- IT Roy

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1605938216745.png

Let's get the bad news out of the way first: we aren't having a release in November. I haven't been as productive lately, thanks to my day job. No new ETA, as I'm not going to disappoint by setting something. My day job has just been too busy to estimate this go around. Some days I've got the energy to get some render work done at the end of the day. Others not so much. Maybe I should just google real estate listings near Xor and go spend my nights drinking with him.
The new Daz Studio build entered general release, and it's been working well with my new RTX 3090s. At this point, render speed isn't going to be a bottleneck. I'm easily able to render out all the images setup during the day (even a productive one) overnight. It's the time it takes to setup scenes with poses, lighting, expressions, etc. that is most time consuming. In an effort to speed that up, I've been working on two things when I have the mental energy to do them: organizing my Daz library and saving a ton of presets in Daz.
The organization is a long time coming. I organized certain things a few months ago, but even those were still a lot to sort through with, quite frankly, some crappy assets that I needed to remove. As for the presets, there are all sorts of things, from poses, to expressions, to adding makeup that I should have saved as presets before. These presets will improve render setup times, and will also make it easier on me if I ever go back and redo old releases. They already made it possible for me to update two old renders in about 5 minutes. This work is still ongoing, but the benefit is that it is work I can do when my creative energy is a bit depleted, and it should lead to savings of a few minutes per render down the road. With 500-900 renders per release, that time adds up.
I've got some great new outfits for our Last Call men and women, so expect to see those over the next few Last Call releases. I've sorted through what clothing is good and what is trash. The updates I'll do for the models in Daz Studio are done for the Last Call characters. Still a couple more new environments needed for Last Call .4, so that work will be ongoing, but we aren't talking a long time for those new environments.
Finally, some Patreon maintenance here as we near the end of the year. Other than the previously announced change of the Q&A being about 4 times a year instead of monthly, there are no tier changes except one: Fiona's Fan Club got a price drop to $65. That is the tier that gets you a custom image of your choosing (within just a few limits). If you're interested, grab a slot before it's gone.
To all our fellow American friends, have a happy and SAFE Thanksgiving! I'll be back with another update in December.
- IT Roy

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
luckily they have started to develop two games at the same time.
perhaps introducing the third one, or at least some comics series, should speed things up additionally (despite occasional real life issues/drawbacks).

akikospam74

Dec 19, 2019
luckily they have started to develop two games at the same time.
perhaps introducing the third one, or at least some comics series, should speed things up additionally (despite occasional real life issues/drawbacks).
I'll never understand why some devs choose to make 2+ games simultaneously, it's so counter productive

akikospam74

Dec 19, 2019
If you have dedicated machines per VN, then it really isn't. Plus, thunderline is not one person working alone.
Render time is not the only thing that slows down development tho.

Writing, posing, planning, coding, etc, take time.. I know he doesn't work alone but still, it's not ideal to do both games at the same time.

I don't mind if updates take 5-6 months, but his updates aren't that big, so waiting 5 months for an update worth 20-30 minutes of gameplay kinda sucks

4.10 star(s) 50 Votes