DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
Unless we want to argue on time frame of when the next update, with the forced Steph encounter will drop? Ahahahahaha
Quick question.

Would you drop the Steph explanation if I made it optional. On all your playthroughs?

If yes. Do you think that would be the norm, or would I be tailoring the story for a minority of players? :)

Reactions: Ghostly

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Quick question.

Would you drop the Steph explanation if I made it optional. On all your playthroughs?

If yes. Do you think that would be the norm, or would I be tailoring the story for a minority of players? :)
If the entire thing was 'optional' I wouldn't even go see her. As for tailoring it to a 'minority of players', I don't know if that's the case or not. But, every interaction with Steph has been forced. You have to admit that. I'm not saying anything that isn't true. Yes, you gave a choice later when it came to the sex with her and that was cool. But, yeah. If it was optional, I would just bypass it.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Quick question.

<Takes elaborately festooned club president fez off and sets it aside> Dude, you write and create the story you want to write and create. If in your story Steph is an important, integral, piece then you include her and damn all the whining and hand-wringing that will likely ensue. The loudest voices often belong to the smallest groups.
I want to “hear” the explanation and I will have at least one play through where I have James go with her (like my 8th play through) so don’t tailor your game for those of us with a stick in our bonnet and bee in our ass.

<Puts fez back on>All that said as James goes along for the ride it would be great if we could see her as almost an antagonist if we so chose. Perhaps we could make the choice to be angry, neutral, or in love (bleh).

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Quick question.

I would listen to the explanation if I knew I would have the option to reject her coldly again.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I thought you wanted to argue 'semantics'. I mean, not much else to actually argue about in this post right now. Unless we want to argue on time frame of when the next update, with the forced Steph encounter will drop? Ahahahahaha
Well to be fair I think we pretty much covered everything else :p

Quick question.

Hell no! Don't you dare. Stpeh is queen!

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
<Takes elaborately festooned club president fez off and sets it aside> Dude, you write and create the story you want to write and create. If in your story Steph is an important, integral, piece then you include her and damn all the whining and hand-wringing that will likely ensue. The loudest voices often belong to the smallest groups.
I want to “hear” the explanation and I will have at least one play through where I have James go with her (like my 8th play through) so don’t tailor your game for those of us with a stick in our bonnet and bee in our ass.

<Puts fez back on>All that said as James goes along for the ride it would be great if we could see her as almost an antagonist if we so chose. Perhaps we could make the choice to be angry, neutral, or in love (bleh).
I actually agree. But, DriftyGames was asking about making it a choice, if he did that, it's not really his game anymore. He would be bowing to all the assholes. Me included. Which I don't think he should do. He should write the game his way and that's a fact.

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
If the entire thing was 'optional' I wouldn't even go see her. As for tailoring it to a 'minority of players', I don't know if that's the case or not. But, every interaction with Steph has been forced. You have to admit that. I'm not saying anything that isn't true. Yes, you gave a choice later when it came to the sex with her and that was cool. But, yeah. If it was optional, I would just bypass it.
Well, the reason I asked wasn't to sound rude, because to remove a scene in form of a menu choice is the easiest thing in the world. There would be less content of course, but it's just one scene. So I asked because if it bothers you (and by you I mean the plural form of you, not you directly because I'm quoting you) to such an extent that it feels going through something you'd rather not do, I feel I should rethink just that instead of making it forced.

But by 'everything about her has been forced', that goes for a whole lot of things in the story. Some quick examples, kissing Cece on the bench, bringing Linda and Cece to your house, going bowling with Kira. I still like to think it's a long way from being a kinetic novel.

If anything, I've always felt it would be a good idea to listen to ideas. Not to reshape the story in anyway. It branches if you reject Steph anyway, and that would apply equally well with leaving her background story out of it. But if you really felt that the story is better without seeing her again, I should at least consider the option.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
If anything, I've always felt it would be a good idea to listen to ideas. Not to reshape the story in anyway. It branches if you reject Steph anyway, and that would apply equally well with leaving her background story out of it. But if you really felt that the story is better without seeing her again, I should at least consider the option.
It's all about motivation. If you read something here and honestly think it would be a good addition/tweak to the story, then more power. But, if you are thinking of a change simply to make people happy, then go with your gut instead. Do what you think is best for the story, no matter where you got the inspiration.

That said, I'm looking forward to the chance of seeing Steph's face after I coldly reject her again after hearing her out.

Reactions: gcjellyfish

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Well, the reason I asked wasn't to sound rude, because to remove a scene in form of a menu choice is the easiest thing in the world. There would be less content of course, but it's just one scene. So I asked because if it bothers you (and by you I mean the plural form of you, not you directly because I'm quoting you) to such an extent that it feels going through something you'd rather not do, I feel I should rethink just that instead of making it forced.

But by 'everything about her has been forced', that goes for a whole lot of things in the story. Some quick examples, kissing Cece on the bench, bringing Linda and Cece to your house, going bowling with Kira. I still like to think it's a long way from being a kinetic novel.

Again, your story..you tell it how 'you want'..not anyone else. As for forced stuff, every game has them, no one whines when they don't care less about it. 80% of VN's are nothing but forced content, because they are telling a story.

Youn had it forced for a reason...you have her character integral (somewhat) for the future..for a reason. Don't change it. Otherwise you may as well quit and just let other people who dislike it write the story for you.

Reactions: Darkness65

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

It's def not a kinetic novel. The thing is, this is a woman who just up and left. No explanation, for 2 years. Then to be tossed into a scene where... No. Not dragging into that again.

My point is, Cece and the other girls and even Chris to an extent, are completely different. They are different.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

The thing is I (and we) don’t know if the story will be better without her. Right now we may think that she is a detriment to the overall game but we have no way to know what the future of the game holds for us. We need to rely on you, as the storyteller, to present a game that has characters we love and hate. There’s nothing wrong about people hating a character that we are “forced” to play with/interact with. I’m sure that we could all think of a character in at least one game we loved to hate.

If you want to give us the choice to close off the entirety of the Steph storyline I can respect that. But I can tell you I’d rather play what you originally had for a storyline, I want to see what happens to Steph. Even if we aren’t romantically linked to her I still want to see what fallout her decisions cause (beyond losing the love of her life).
I hope that the hate for her hasn’t become so ridiculous that people will stop playing a game if you don’t allow them to walk away from her.

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
That said, I'm looking forward to the chance of seeing Steph's face after I coldly reject her again after hearing her out.
That's the beauty of it. I want you to be able to do as you please and get a good scene for your opinion. And that goes for the person that is on the fence. And the person are intrigued by her and want to get back into her pants. It needs to be equally good for a lot of opinions. And having done my first playthrough of the scene, I believe I've succeded in that. :)

Because for me personally, I don't care what people choose. The story is good either way (well, I think so.) :p

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
The thing is I (and we) don’t know if the story will be better without her. Right now we may think that she is a detriment to the overall game but we have no way to know what the future of the game holds for us. We need to rely on you, as the storyteller, to present a game that has characters we love and hate. There’s nothing wrong about people hating a character that we are “forced” to play with/interact with. I’m sure that we could all think of a character in at least one game we loved to hate.

If you want to give us the choice to close off the entirety of the Steph storyline I can respect that. But I can tell you I’d rather play what you originally had for a storyline, I want to see what happens to Steph. Even if we aren’t romantically linked to her I still want to see what fallout her decisions cause (beyond losing the love of her life).
I hope that the hate for her hasn’t become so ridiculous that people will stop playing a game if you don’t allow them to walk away from her.
What I'm curious about is the original plan for the Steph (old runaway love) vs. Cece (new suicidal love) outcome. At this point in the story, you'd basically be hanging the rope yourself if you dumped Cece for Steph. Is this the intention? I'm curious.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

Hmm... Agree with almost all of that. But, I think we should be able to walk away from her. Although, truthfully, I don't really care about that much anymore. If Drifty feels she's needed for the benefit of the story, I won't even bitch about it anymore. It's not worth it.

However, one thing that is always slapping me in the face, is the fact that I want the original Linda back. Not this new chick, who in my mind isn't Linda. I mean, maybe she's a relative or something, but, it's not Linda.

So, keep Steph how you want her to be, I'll stop bitching. But, bring back the original Linda.

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020

You'd be surprised. Steph has a lot more support than you'd think. Even I was surprised. They tend to not speak too loudly, because, well, they'd be overrun by the other side. But the amount of dm's I'm getting, it's insane. :)

What I'm curious about is the original plan for the Steph (old runaway love) vs. Cece (new suicidal love) outcome. At this point in the story, you'd basically be hanging the rope yourself if you dumped Cece for Steph. Is this the intention? I'm curious.
There's consequenses for your choice, yes. But I put a whole lot of thought into this before starting the story, so it will pan out differently than you think. It's not as obvious as Cece going full suicidal if you do not choose her. In fact...

nah... I'll stop now. :p

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
However, one thing that is always slapping me in the face, is the fact that I want the original Linda back. Not this new chick, who in my mind isn't Linda. I mean, maybe she's a relative or something, but, it's not Linda.

So, keep Steph how you want her to be, I'll stop bitching. But, bring back the original Linda.
Wait, what? I just played the game recently so I wasn't aware of any changes to Linda. Explain?

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Steph has been introduced into the story. That's just a fact. With a few exceptions, I'm pretty sure MOST of us who are thrashing this horse to death are doing so because we are legitimately engaged with the story... AND the character... and want... no, NEED to know what the hell is going on quite above the issue of how we personally feel about the character's relationship with the MC.

So, no, since she is a part of the story so far, I think we need to have her background available to us. As for making it optional, I thought you had said at one point that technically we could skip the meeting/date but that it would impact our other relationships in some way... I think that's fair. If a person is so invested in ignoring/avoiding someone, they will risk impacting their other relationships because of it. However, this is a huge consequence for a choice which boils down to somebody protecting himself from further pain and harm from a person who came close to destroying him. The explanation has to be DAMN convincing to make that consequence balance not hearing it. (I know that you get this, by the way. I keep harping on it because this story has gotten under my skin and it matters to me. It's basically the only way I can keep my engagement up until the next fix. ;))

4.80 star(s) 560 Votes