Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
i don't confuse people , let me rephrase my sentence I don't mind Chris having a girlfriend but out of those girls circle .
I said you are confusing people because they will read that as something they can't avoid, And Drifty has added that as "optional", you can help him or not, it will depend on the players if he ever gets with any of them.
I for example won't help him, so he won't be in a relationship with any of the Li's.

That's why I said that, I have been against Chris getting any of the Li's when Driffty asked us in Discord.
Just to clear that out.

Reactions: Alteni

Alteni

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I said you are confusing people because they will read that as something they can't avoid, And Drifty has added that as "optional", you can help him or not, it will depend on the players if he ever gets with any of them.
I for example won't help him, so he won't be in a relationship with any of the Li's.

That's why I said that, I have been against Chris getting any of the Li's when Driffty asked us in Discord.
Just to clear that out.
i know its optional bro everyone can see that , i mean he shouldn't even put that choice about Chris help him or not , he should keep the story with his ex GF not to put an optional choice to help him / or not , if he put an option like : i will help u get ur ex GF back or i will not help him get his EX Gf back that a nice optional , what u think ?

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
On the topic of getting Chris a LI, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

When writing a story, every writer has a set of limitations of what he can and can't write about. With a community like this, there will always be a huge difference of opinion of where to draw the line.

The Adult Visual Novel/Game community is a rather spoiled one. You can see it in most game threads with questions like 'are there an Harem ending', 'I don't want my best pal to get any girl, even if I don't like the girl myself', and so forth. Downloading a new VN is like opening a box of candy, saying: I want them all to myself.

And before I get a lot of hate for stating the above, let me continue with this: I get it! I used to mod Skyrim into having so many girls I could hardly remember all their names. It's part of the charm of Adult VN's/games. After all, with these games it's possible to avoid the real life limitations and normality, such as monogamy, boob and dick sizes, age restrictions, and family interactions etc.

I'm not stating all of the above to shame anyone. In fact, most writers will do their utmost to include as many kinks as possible, to please the majority of players.

But now to the main point of this little rant. By stating 'I don't want Chris to be even remotely close to any of the girls', you remove a tool for me to write a better story. I my opinion, that is why most sidekicks are rather uninteresting and bland. The writer knows that all the girls don't have personal space when it comes to the MC, and about a kilometer of personal space when it comes to the sidekick (unless you specifically want to explore the kinks of cuckold, NTR and the likes).

The option to include Christine as a LI of Chris is not really viable, as the moment I would show her face, someone would want her for the MC instead - perfectly illustrated by Holly entering the story late, and ending up being someone favorite.

In the end, the only tool I'm left with is the option to give Chris a girl he can (if the player chooses to) romance (and by that I don't mean ever having to visually vitness Chris sexually interracting with). It means a lot more renders, scripting, writing and a delay in the release schedule. I still opt to do that, as I think that adding a girl to Chris's armpit in the late summer nights of Lexi's place will add to the story, opening for a better story for those who choose to do so.

Sorry if I have stepped on anybody's toes with this post, but in order to explain my opinion about it I had to wall of text a bit.

And to end this on a high; you can romance, and end up with Holly if that is your main goal. But the storyline of that route will be a whole lot shorter than the others.

Cheers

ShadowThrone

Mar 3, 2020

When writing a story, every writer has a set of limitations of what he can and can't write about. With a community like this, there will always be a huge difference of opinion of where to draw the line.

The Adult Visual Novel/Game community is a rather spoiled one. You can see it in most game threads with questions like 'are there an Harem ending', 'I don't want my best pal to get any girl, even if I don't like the girl myself', and so forth. Downloading a new VN is like opening a box of candy, saying: I want them all to myself.

And before I get a lot of hate for stating the above, let me continue with this: I get it! I used to mod Skyrim into having so many girls I could hardly remember all their names. It's part of the charm of Adult VN's/games. After all, with these games it's possible to avoid the real life limitations and normality, such as monogamy, boob and dick sizes, age restrictions, and family interactions etc.

I'm not stating all of the above to shame anyone. In fact, most writers will do their utmost to include as many kinks as possible, to please the majority of players.

But now to the main point of this little rant. By stating 'I don't want Chris to be even remotely close to any of the girls', you remove a tool for me to write a better story. I my opinion, that is why most sidekicks are rather uninteresting and bland. The writer knows that all the girls don't have personal space when it comes to the MC, and about a kilometer of personal space when it comes to the sidekick (unless you specifically want to explore the kinks of cuckold, NTR and the likes).

The option to include Christine as a LI of Chris is not really viable, as the moment I would show her face, someone would want her for the MC instead - perfectly illustrated by Holly entering the story late, and ending up being someone favorite.

In the end, the only tool I'm left with is the option to give Chris a girl he can (if the player chooses to) romance (and by that I don't mean ever having to visually vitness Chris sexually interracting with). It means a lot more renders, scripting, writing and a delay in the release schedule. I still opt to do that, as I think that adding a girl to Chris's armpit in the late summer nights of Lexi's place will add to the story, opening for a better story for those who choose to do so.

Sorry if I have stepped on anybody's toes with this post, but in order to explain my opinion about it I had to wall of text a bit.

And to end this on a high; you can romance, and end up with Holly if that is your main goal. But the storyline of that route will be a whole lot shorter than the others.

Cheers
Thank you. I always appreciate when a developer explains what they are doing and why.
Personally, I have never been opposed to other guys being in a relationship with someone I have chosen not to be with (or can not be with).
The bit I dislike in many games, is having to see everything that they do in private (which you have stated will not happen in this case).

Yuno Gasai

Developer of "Acquainted"
GFX Designer
Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019

The Adult Visual Novel/Game community is a rather spoiled one. You can see it in most game threads with questions like 'is there a Harem ending', 'I don't want my best pal to get any girl, even if I don't like the girl myself', and so forth. Downloading a new VN is like opening a box of candy, saying: I want them all to myself.

And before I get a lot of hate for stating the above, let me continue with this: I get it! I used to mod Skyrim into having so many girls I could hardly remember all their names. It's part of the charm of Adult VN's/games. After all, with these games, it's possible to avoid real life limitations and normality, such as monogamy, boob and dick sizes, age restrictions, and family interactions, etc.

But now to the main point of this little rant. By stating 'I don't want Chris to be even remotely close to any of the girls', you remove a tool for me to write a better story. In my opinion, that is why most sidekicks are rather uninteresting and bland. The writer knows that all the girls don't have personal space when it comes to the MC, and about a kilometer of personal space when it comes to the sidekick (unless you specifically want to explore the kinks of cuckold, NTR, and the likes).

In the end, the only tool I'm left with is the option to give Chris a girl he can (if the player chooses to) romance (and by that I don't mean ever having to visually witness Chris sexually interacting with). It means a lot more renders, scripting, writing, and a delay in the release schedule. I still opt to do that, as I think that adding a girl to Chris's armpit in the late summer nights of Lexi's place will add to the story, opening for a better story for those who choose to do so.

Sorry if I have stepped on anybody's toes with this post, but in order to explain my opinion about it, I had to wall of the text a bit.

Cheers
go with the story you've in your mind DriftyGames
don't let the hate get to you
you're the best dev out here :)

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020

Cheers
Go with the story you have in mind.

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
There is a big difference between what you will add as optional and what those types of games have, the big difference is that you won't play on the jealousy of the player, you won't play with the teasing or anything like that if we do end up helping Chris as you already explained.
That's why while I'm not going to help Chris get any of the main Li's, I still respect the decision of you adding that as optional.
I still think though, you should have made a GF for Chris and no matter how whiny or ranty we get, make that girl just for Chris , like Liam in AL had one made just for him xD

Reactions: Alteni

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
make that girl just for Chris , like Liam in AL had one made just for him xD
If you are referring to Elise, she was introduced at the very end of AL (maybe even by popular demand - and only as an ending depending on your in game choices). To this day, some doesn't even know she's in the game at all.

Or if you are referring to Rena (I already know you aren't :) ) then that is your choice towards the very end the story by handing her over to him.

In both cases they are not an active part of the story with Liam. If they were, DPC could have ea. shaped their camping trip to become a much more memorable experience. Which was the main point of my rant a few posts ago.

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
If you are referring to Elise, she was introduced at the very end of AL (maybe even by popular demand - and only as an ending depending on your in game choices). To this day, some doesn't even know she's in the game at all.

Or if you are referring to Rena (I already know you aren't :) ) then that is your choice towards the very end the story by handing her over to him.

In both cases they are not an active part of the story with Liam. If they were, DPC could have ea. shaped their camping trip to become a much more memorable experience. Which was the main point of my rant a few posts ago.
yes I mean Elise, I never did give him Rena xD.
But yeah, I don't really mind if Chris did have any custom Li for him only, that's kinda my point but I guess what you say is true too, that was at the End of the game so don't really nurture the story at all.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Cheers
Well while I do more or less support your sentiment and say do it if you want to, whatever I or anyone else says about it. It is your game and your story in the end after all and you cannot make everybody happy. I can see there being some slight problem for those who wants to play every ending, to give Chris one of the girls, but it is optional so no problem from me.

Now what I for myself have a little problem with is the moment it appears in the game, though that may have to do with fact I still miss 2 updates to chapter 4. :) At the moment the question is asked for me at least none of the girls in question make sense as a strong LI for Chris and at best a rebound except for maybe Holly.

-Linda, she makes most sense overall with their past, but as far as I have seen in game she is still in love with Mc and has not moved past that and is still hoping to have a shot at MC. Well that disqualifies her as a Li for Chris except for a one night stand atm for Chris until she has moved on.
-Steph, well maybe in the case MC dumped her completely in her part of chapter 4, but she has just been obsessing two years over MC. There is hurt between her and Chris as well over MC and if Chris would get with Steph anyway after MC dumped her hard I do not see the friendship between Chris and MC surviving, too much pain and past there.
-Lexi, more of a wild card in that regard. Though my take is that a main part of her interest in MC is fact he is not a fan and hardly knows who she is as a star but is interested in her as a person. Her interest is also kinda strongly in MC. Not seeing her already transferring that to Chris romantically in chapter 4, however attractive that mustache is.
-Cece, well it took MC saving her and refusing her to ignore him to get even close to her and she has loads of drama. So do not see the connection being there already to Chris and away from MC that quick. Besides if we think she is too much drama for MC, why would we inflict her on our best mate Chris?
Robin and Kira, first problem is they are an item already. Now I could see Robin and Chris working possibly if you chose Kira alone. Not seen anything though that Kira is or would be interested in Chris already with what I saw iin game until now and it would mess with the choices Robin or Kira and Robin both. Even if you chose Kira alone, I would not think Robin would already be ready for Chris alone, maybe to get comforted, but moving on to him in chapter 4?

Well it is just my opinion, why to me it does not really make sense in chapter 4. I get why you might want it and if you want it do it anyway, but to me it seems way to early to have Chris with any of those girls in his arms in chapter 4 as the women have been set up till now in game. :)

Edit: Also unless there would be only one option for Chris it would mean an insane amount of extra work and renders to show Chris with each possible girl combination and make it believable for all of them that you have to ask yourself the question if it is worth it to the story, but only you yourself can answer that. If there would be only one option it gets kind of weird if you said yes and went for that girl yourself or combo in the Kira/Robin case and said yes and then do not help him.

Last edited:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Chris is working on something with someone at some other point as mentioned in the game. I am sure a happily ever after for her could pop out if Drifty wanted, but who cares!? Chris is awesome sauce as is!

NoI'mDirtyDan

Oct 14, 2017

Cheers
Is there one specific girl he can end up with or anyone of them.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020

Cheers
Just speaking for myself, the less harem, incest, and etc. games available the happier I am. I want my MC to find a relationship ending and I want my best friend to be happy too. But most of all I just want a good story.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Well while I do more or less support your sentiment and say do it if you want to, whatever I or anyone else says about it. It is your game and your story in the end after all and you cannot make everybody happy. I can see there being some slight problem for those who wants to play every ending, to give Chris one of the girls, but it is optional so no problem from me.

Now what I for myself have a little problem with is the moment it appears in the game, though that may have to do with fact I still miss 2 updates to chapter 4. :) At the moment the question is asked for me at least none of the girls in question make sense as a strong LI for Chris and at best a rebound except for maybe Holly.

-Linda, she makes most sense overall with their past, but as far as I have seen in game she is still in love with Mc and has not moved past that and is still hoping to have a shot at MC. Well that disqualifies her as a Li for Chris except for a one night stand atm for Chris until she has moved on.
-Steph, well maybe in the case MC dumped her completely in her part of chapter 4, but she has just been obsessing two years over MC. There is hurt between her and Chris as well over MC and if Chris would get with Steph anyway after MC dumped her hard I do not see the friendship between Chris and MC surviving, too much pain and past there.
-Lexi, more of a wild card in that regard. Though my take is that a main part of her interest in MC is fact he is not a fan and hardly knows who she is as a star but is interested in her as a person. Her interest is also kinda strongly in MC. Not seeing her already transferring that to Chris romantically in chapter 4, however attractive that mustache is.
-Cece, well it took MC saving her and refusing her to ignore him to get even close to her and she has loads of drama. So do not see the connection being there already to Chris and away from MC that quick. Besides if we think she is too much drama for MC, why would we inflict her on our best mate Chris?
Robin and Kira, first problem is they are an item already. Now I could see Robin and Chris working possibly if you chose Kira alone. Not seen anything though that Kira is or would be interested in Chris already with what I saw iin game until now and it would mess with the choices Robin or Kira and Robin both. Even if you chose Kira alone, I would not think Robin would already be ready for Chris alone, maybe to get comforted, but moving on to him in chapter 4?

Well it is just my opinion, why to me it does not really make sense in chapter 4. I get why you might want it and if you want it do it anyway, but to me it seems way to early to have Chris with any of those girls in his arms in chapter 4 as the women have been set up till now in game. :)

Edit: Also unless there would be only one option for Chris it would mean an insane amount of extra work and renders to show Chris with each possible girl combination and make it believable for all of them that you have to ask yourself the question if it is worth it to the story, but only you yourself can answer that. If there would be only one option it gets kind of weird if you said yes and went for that girl yourself or combo in the Kira/Robin case and said yes and then do not help him.
I could easily see Chris with Robin AND Kira. He already has a rapport with Robin and the girls are looking for a guy to add to the relationship.

Reactions: Dr.Jan Itor

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I could easily see Chris with Robin AND Kira. He already has a rapport with Robin and the girls are looking for a guy to add to the relationship.
Yeah but at least Kira does have feelings for MC, with Robin that is less established but she is first and foremost with Kira. So for a fast Chris development she would need a break from Kira that would be hurtful for her and them adding a second dick that fast does not make sense. I could see it happening a few weeks later in chapter 6 after more fallout from the decisions in chapter 4 and choice for a girl in chapter 4, also especially for Linda if she is not the choice. Not the same evening or next day though.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

Cheers
It saddens me that you even feel it is necessary to say any of this... However, I completely understand. Too many people play these games as lewd pokemon "gotta fuck them all" harem games and too many developers cater to them. But you shouldn't put too much weight on the opinions of the F95 community (I know).

I agree with you about the AVN community being spoiled, I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again. This is the only community where the people who are having their IP stolen come and interact with the pirates. Could you imagine if Metallica went on Napster (fuck I'm old) and posted a message saying that they "didn't approve with the sharing of their content" but then took the time to interact with the pirates and even altered their music because of the opinions of those pirates? My point with that example is that you should do what you were planning to do and not listen to this community so much. Yes, we are the end users, but most of us don't financially support you. The opinions that matter are your backers. So ask them what they think. Poll them if you want to see how they feel about Chris getting together with one of the girls or bringing in Christine. Write what you want to write and not what you think people want you to write.

That said I didn't like seeing the "hook Chris up with one of the girls" because it was out of the blue. Chris hasn't said anything about "X" girl is hot or "Y" girl is sweet beyond a fanboy love of Lexi. Suddenly we are standing in the kitchen and we can choose to say "why don't I hook you up with one of my love interests?" And again, no girls were looking at Chris and thinking "hmmm, maybe?" up until now. Chris has been portrayed as the goofy somewhat lovable loser best friend (the Curtis Armstrong to the MC's Jon Cusack type of dynamic) and, sadly, nothing more. He hasn't really been developed beyond that and I don't know that many people want to see you devote time to developing his personality more (though, as I said, you do what you want to with your game). I saw the idea of hooking Chris back up with Christine as a parallel to the narrative of the MC and Steph - a returning to the one who was their "one true love" type of idea. And saying you can't do something because then people will complain about not being able to have them... People will ALWAYS complain, this is the fucking internet (literally, we are on a porn game website).

In my opinion the problem ALL of these games have is the inclusion of too many love interests. In a harem game that makes sense but in a non-harem game including 7 love interests splits the narrative and increases the amount of work. Why is it that these games can't seem to limit the potential love interests to 2-3-4? Why not then increase the character depth and development?

Anyway, love what you do, just felt like countering your wall of text with my wall of text. :ROFLMAO:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
In my opinion the problem ALL of these games have is the inclusion of too many love interests. In a harem game that makes sense but in a non-harem game including 7 love interests splits the narrative and increases the amount of work. Why is it that these games can't seem to limit the potential love interests to 2-3-4? Why not then increase the character depth and development?
In a simplified way, this! This really seems to be the biggest problem. Making the game too wide makes it harder to make it tall.

I always say and I can't stress enough that it is the story itself that determines the characters and how the develop. You simply cannot do the Lord of the Rings with 5 characters. But that is not to say that all 1000 characters in the LOTR should be a love interest, Sauron included, who I can imagine with a black leather dominatrix costume.

I am even happy to have no actual love interest in a story. I mean, the canonical ending to be single, either by choice or fate or (running out of) luck, provided that the journey is worth it. And even in linear stories.
Obviously, it really depends on the what the VN is trying to be. Most novels here are thought as variations on harem stories, even those that do not allow the harem ending, essentially just allow MC to seduce any girl.

I cannot simply picture any harem related in this game, for example, even if the mood of the game is essentially a love story.

Anyway, DriftyGames I really hope you don't feel the necessity to ask people what they want. Just write the story you want to and those that don't like it, pity for them. Only a very bad travesty can be created by listening to every single petition: I want a harem, I want MC to be the only male that fucks on the game, I want all girls to like each other, I want incest, I want the MC's friend not to get a girl, I want him to be gay, I want a freaking Dragon (this one I actually support)

Your game has too much potential to lose it in random people's delusions. And like MrFriendly said, it is really sad you even have to explain this.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
In a simplified way, this! This really seems to be the biggest problem. Making the game too wide makes it harder to make it tall.
Exactly! When a game has so many love interests it almost becomes natural for the community to immediately think "harem". There are people in this community who freeze when they have to choose between 2 love interests, giving them 7 to choose from is almost cruel. LOL

I always say and I can't stress enough that it is the story itself that determines the characters and how the develop. You simply cannot do the Lord of the Rings with 5 characters. But that is not to say that all 1000 characters in the LOTR should be a love interest, Sauron included, who I can imagine with a black leather dominatrix costume.
I think I saw that porn parody :ROFLMAO:

I am even happy to have no actual love interest in a story. I mean, the canonical ending to be single, either by choice or fate or (running out of) luck, provided that the journey is worth it. And even in linear stories.
Obviously, it really depends on the what the VN is trying to be. Most novels here are thought as variations on harem stories, even those that do not allow the harem ending, essentially just allow MC to seduce any girl.
Yep, if I am enjoying the story enough I don't care if the MC isn't fucking a bunch of different women. A game that is about a monogamous couple of spies who go on thrilling adventures would be just as interesting to me. Or a Nathan Drake type story... Whatever.

Anyway, DriftyGames I really hope you don't feel the necessity to ask people what they want. Just write the story you want to and those that don't like it, pity for them. Only a very bad travesty can be created by listening to every single petition: I want a harem, I want MC to be the only male that fucks on the game, I want all girls to like each other, I want incest, I want the MC's friend not to get a girl, I want him to be gay, I want a freaking Dragon (this one I actually support)

Your game has too much potential to lose it in random people's delusions. And like MrFriendly said, it is really sad you even have to explain this.
Yeah, really don't want to see Drifty change everything because people whine about the lack of a harem or because they can't have Chris's girlfriend or because some hot girl in the corner of the room isn't fuckable... The best games on here develop without allowing the community to influence the narrative every step of the way.

Reactions: Ayhsel
4.80 star(s) 560 Votes