fortuna95

Lezz kiss for peace!
Donor
Feb 7, 2018
Review at Lewdpixels:

What makes a good adult visual novel? Based on the debates on forums there are as many answers to that as players. Some say it’s the art, some say it’s the story, some prefer a picture book, some prefer more game elements. I’ve played hundreds of visual novels but Leap Of Faith is a perfect example of one hitting the sweet spot where all those elements come together.

bananabrown

Oct 18, 2019
Anyone feeling nervous because of this statement? ;)

When it comes to VN’s, I have to mention DPC for writing Acting Lessons. It was the VN that became the decider that I should use Renpy for this, and it also showed me that my type of story could be something people would like.

• Wow
Reactions: Ariostebaldo

Procyonix

Nov 23, 2020
Anyone feeling nervous because of this statement? ;)

When it comes to VN’s, I have to mention DPC for writing Acting Lessons. It was the VN that became the decider that I should use Renpy for this, and it also showed me that my type of story could be something people would like.

Well he does say that there is going to be an something unhappy that will be emotionally difficult to write, so at least this time there is warning. I think a lot of people didn't like that bit with AL because there was absolutely no warning. Any time you are dealing with damaged characters psychologically, especially one with self destructive tendencies, you have to expect the worst. They don't get magically better over night.

Reactions: MV_1999

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Well he does say that there is going to be an something unhappy that will be emotionally difficult to write, so at least this time there is warning. I think a lot of people didn't like that bit with AL because there was absolutely no warning. Any time you are dealing with damaged characters psychologically, especially one with self destructive tendencies, you have to expect the worst. They don't get magically better over night.
Well considering the fact that Drifty has cited Acting Lessons as an influence, the real life inspiration for Cece, her continuing self-destructive nature, and the way she adamantly argues against James falling for her in chapter 4... Let's just say that if there is going to be a tragic scene and it does involve death I won't be surprised if Cece (or Steph - secret agent with guns) is the one who has that tragic scene.

Then again, Drifty is a good enough writer that he could telegraph all of that and blindside us with something else. I mean Robin may feel that she has no way out of her current situation too.. And then Drifty could not even go that direction but make us fear that it will happen thus heightening the emotional payoff at the end of the game.

Procyonix

Nov 23, 2020
Then again, Drifty is a good enough writer that he could telegraph all of that and blindside us with something else. I mean Robin may feel that she has no way out of her current situation too.. And then Drifty could not even go that direction but make us fear that it will happen thus heightening the emotional payoff at the end of the game.
You are absolutely correct, I just talked about the elephant in the room since she is the logical conclusion. That does not mean she would be the one. However, one the AL taught me about AVNs is expect the worst and take whatever the author gives you good as a bonus.

AL was my first AVN, so it sorta shaped my view on them. But it was was significant imho that both of the inspirations he mentioned both have significant character deaths in them. I mean we'll see what he has planned, certainly. But there are a number of choices I can see, so many of the characters have potential flaws or reasons why they might get hurt/killed. I mean for all we know, Lexi could get Lennoned.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
You are absolutely correct, I just talked about the elephant in the room since she is the logical conclusion. That does not mean she would be the one. However, one the AL taught me about AVNs is expect the worst and take whatever the author gives you good as a bonus.

AL was my first AVN, so it sorta shaped my view on them. But it was was significant imho that both of the inspirations he mentioned both have significant character deaths in them. I mean we'll see what he has planned, certainly. But there are a number of choices I can see, so many of the characters have potential flaws or reasons why they might get hurt/killed. I mean for all we know, Lexi could get Lennoned.
AL was one of my first too. I have to admit that, despite the ending, I enjoyed the storytelling and characters. Now I realize it wasn't as good as I initially thought after I have played quite a few more games but it still opened my eyes to a genre of games I used to laugh at.

And the beauty of this game is that, exactly as you said, everyone is flawed in some way. Yet we are drawn to them anyway or because we like the fact that they aren't perfect... Perfect is exhausting...

Procyonix

Nov 23, 2020
And the beauty of this game is that, exactly as you said, everyone is flawed in some way. Yet we are drawn to them anyway or because we like the fact that they aren't perfect... Perfect is exhausting...
Yeah, they are more relatable to anyone reading. It was why as a kid I didn't really care much for Superman, he was perfect. Flawed characters are ultimately necessary for good story telling, imho.

Also on your point with AL, I didn't hate the story because of the ending I mean it didn't keep me from playing his next project as my sig shows lol. It just made me cautious with expectations. My only complaint with it was that there was literally no warning.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Yeah, they are more relatable to anyone reading. It was why as a kid I didn't really care much for Superman, he was perfect. Flawed characters are ultimately necessary for good story telling, imho.

Also on your point with AL, I didn't hate the story because of the ending I mean it didn't keep me from playing his next project as my sig shows lol. It just made me cautious with expectations. My only complaint with it was that there was literally no warning.
Yeah, I dislike perfect characters like Superman. If he is only vulnerable to kryptonite and magic that means that every movie has to have one of those two things... The older comics where it was more about his relationships and trying to do good while still maintaining the Clark Kent persona were more interesting to me. I prefer my heroes flawed, tormented, and grief stricken instead...

The lack of warning can be debatable... I mean a good twist shouldn't be predictable but then it also shouldn't come out of left field. Hopefully Drifty won't toss us into a similar situation with this game.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, I dislike perfect characters like Superman. If he is only vulnerable to kryptonite and magic that means that every movie has to have one of those two things... The older comics where it was more about his relationships and trying to do good while still maintaining the Clark Kent persona were more interesting to me. I prefer my heroes flawed, tormented, and grief stricken instead...

The lack of warning can be debatable... I mean a good twist shouldn't be predictable but then it also shouldn't come out of left field. Hopefully Drifty won't toss us into a similar situation with this game.
I think the flawed, tormented anti-hero is easy to overdo (and indeed, is often overdone these days), so I have a rather high tolerance for "perfect" characters. That said, ideally you want a spectrum. Paragons of virtue are often most interesting for the effect they can have on others - provided the others aren't just carbon copies. Similarly, the scars that torment a flawed character become a lot more meaningful if the character really is unusually grim compared to the norm.

I'd say this game has a pretty good spread across the various characters, so I'm hoping it will stay that way.

Personally, I've always thought Leap of Faith started as something of an homage to AL. There are a lot of parallels in the initial setup and even in some of the characters. Which is fine - this game is its own thing, and the beginning of AL was great. AL only fell apart in the last act when instead of showing how the survivors recovered from a terrible tragedy, it instead practically reveled in the misery. The MC literally spent a year in apparent isolation trying to put his psyche back together; the 'happy' ending for the survivors rang pretty hollow after that.

As long as Drifty can keep the focus on the characters and not obsess over whatever tragedies may befall them, this game is well positioned to keep the strengths of AL without the crippling weaknesses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

John972

Apr 24, 2018
Well considering the fact that Drifty has cited Acting Lessons as an influence, the real life inspiration for Cece, her continuing self-destructive nature, and the way she adamantly argues against James falling for her in chapter 4... Let's just say that if there is going to be a tragic scene and it does involve death I won't be surprised if Cece (or Steph - secret agent with guns) is the one who has that tragic scene.

having read the interview, I'm glad Drifty realized it's his story to tell and he'll stay true to his vision in the face of 'outside' pressures... Any long term reader of this forum will have noted the number of devs over the years who basically abdicated control their games to their Patreons through polls and what not. In many cases such games either go off the rails (story-wise) or simply end up abandoned.

It's been obvious since the start that the pedigree of AL runs through the veins of LOF. I trust Drifty will handle any tragedy in this game better than DPC did in AL (I don't have an issue with what DPC did, rather I didn't like his implementation: - the binary choice - one you get to f**k, the other's gonna die, your choice - followed by the contrived confrontation with a red-haired psychob*tch).

What will make LOF special is if Drifty can pull off any emotional lows in the game as well as he already has with the highs.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyway, as an interested punter...

Last edited:

Procyonix

Nov 23, 2020
It's been obvious since the start that the pedigree of AL runs through the veins of LOF. I trust Drifty will handle any tragedy in this game better than DPC did in AL (I don't have an issue with what DPC did, rather I didn't like his implementation: - the binary choice - one you get to f**k, the other's gonna die, your choice - followed by the contrived confrontation with a red-haired psychob*tch).

What will make LOF special is if Drifty can pull off any emotional lows in the game as well as he already has with the highs.

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I think that Drifty will handle it better, whatever the emotional low point he intends may be. The writing has been excellent, and Drifty has the advantage of having seen how people reacted to AL. So I think whatever is coming, he will deal with it properly.

Reactions: MV_1999

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
The MC dying in the end? This would be something we never seen for sure!
Depraved Awakening? That one also had a LI dying by the way. :p It is not easy to be first and though I get that writers like to make plot twists, be unique and surprise us, but when you played hundreds of games and read even more books, plot twists tend to become the norm and not a surprise.

Still curious what Drifty will do and first four chapters of the game were def above average, especially if remember this game is also a learning experience for Drifty as he showed with for example original handling of Steph and I know I might not agree with all his future choices, which is fair enough. :)

Ariostebaldo

Sep 17, 2020
Depraved Awakening? That one also had a LI dying by the way. :p It is not easy to be first and though I get that writers like to make plot twists, be unique and surprise us, but when you played hundreds of games and read even more books, plot twists tend to become the norm and not a surprise.

L0MBR0

Jan 19, 2020
That happens if Hollis doesn't stop Eddie from killing MC. Christina can also die BTW:cry:
Actually, Stella dies no matter what you do, meaning it's unavoidable. If Drifty ever goes that dark I hope he reserves it for one of the bad endings. Otherwise, if this goes anything like DA or AL (where you can't do anything about it) and you happen to be playing Cece or Steph, you might want to put on the brakes and wait until whatever tragedy reveals itself before getting too invested in an LI which may end up dying on you. Not really a game I'm keen on playing unless it also includes a different outcome, but with 58 endings, I'm sure that Drifty could manage one.
Edit:
I don't know how many of y'all remember ToML but there's a scene with Helena which ended in a pretty tragic way. Fortunately, she also has a very "wholesome" (quoting Drifty) ending. That game only has 14 endings btw although they were all from the MC's POV.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 563 Votes