MV_1999

Nov 19, 2020
I haven't tried it on linux, but you're lucky the game can run. I'm on PC Windows 10 AMD FX Quad core4300 processor (4Ghz) 8 GB of dual channel DDRam (BP: 2x1600 Mhz) and 2 graphics cards (non-integrated) GeForce 1050 Ti in SLI, and the game just runs on my machine. As I said earlier in the thread, the problem is not so much the power of the machine, but the generation of the peripherals, particularly the graphics card, with the 8xx version of Ren'Py which uses the latest hardware innovations, whereas older hardware does not fully support.
Ps: Eternum run on Ren'py v7xxx if I'm not wrong

Jeez , I'm really surprised. I didn't expect these low end specs to be an issue for a VN at the very least. Although I'm not really bothered coz I'm here for the story. I'm testing it out on windows to check if Linux was the problem.

Thanks for the help.

I play most VNs on my laptops - HP EliteBook 8470p. One has an i5-3320M, 8GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD and Windows 7 - some VNs have struggled a bit, but haven't had major issues. The other one has i7-3520M, 16GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, 500GB SSD and Windows 10 - VNs that work great on the other laptop, are unplayable on this one (not all of course). I guess Windows 10 is the issue. Played LoF up to and including CH7 on the first laptop and didn't have any issues. LoF CH8 I played on my main PC - i7-2600s, 16GB DDR3, RX460 4GB (later upgraded to GTX1060 6GB, but when I played LoF I still had the RX460) and again Windows 7.

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
I play most VNs on my laptops - HP EliteBook 8470p. One has an i5-3320M, 8GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD and Windows 7 - some VNs have struggled a bit, but haven't had major issues. The other one has i7-3520M, 16GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, 500GB SSD and Windows 10 - VNs that work great on the other laptop, are unplayable on this one (not all of course). I guess Windows 10 is the issue. Played LoF up to and including CH7 on the first laptop and didn't have any issues. LoF CH8 I played on my main PC - i7-2600s, 16GB DDR3, RX460 4GB (later upgraded to GTX1060 6GB, but when I played LoF I still had the RX460) and again Windows 7.
Been wondering the same since for comparison I've played it on a Win7 machine with an i7-4790K, 16GB, 240GB SDD + 1TB HDD (where I store the and run the games most of the time), GTX 970 with outdated drivers running 1920x1080 @ 144 and had no problems with LoF. In fact, I haven't had problems with any of the AVNs I've played that didn't attempt to do something silly that the engine of the game itself just couldn't handle. Wasn't sure if I was just lucky with compatibility or it was a Windows version thing since they did seem to take a step back in performance and some older games have known issues (which is part of why I've stuck to my older system for games... well, besides the fact my Win10 laptop is just for work and sucks anyway and I've been stalling forever on getting a new system entirely which will likely have Win11 so no telling how that will go).

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
Been wondering the same since for comparison I've played it on a Win7 machine with an i7-4790K, 16GB, 240GB SDD + 1TB HDD (where I store the and run the games most of the time), GTX 970 with outdated drivers running 1920x1080 @ 144 and had no problems with LoF. In fact, I haven't had problems with any of the AVNs I've played that didn't attempt to do something silly that the engine of the game itself just couldn't handle. Wasn't sure if I was just lucky with compatibility or it was a Windows version thing since they did seem to take a step back in performance and some older games have known issues (which is part of why I've stuck to my older system for games... well, besides the fact my Win10 laptop is just for work and sucks anyway and I've been stalling forever on getting a new system entirely which will likely have Win11 so no telling how that will go).
Yes windows 10 is undeniably a problem, because it is a resource hog, among other things. Windows 11 is even worse. My PC isn't good enough to install it according to their compatibility test, although I don't want that crap. I sincerely regret moving from windows 7 to windows 10, and if it wasn't for some software that no longer updated, I wouldn't have done it

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Yes windows 10 is undeniably a problem, because it is a resource hog, among other things. Windows 11 is even worse. My PC isn't good enough to install it according to their compatibility test, although I don't want that crap. I sincerely regret moving from windows 7 to windows 10, and if it wasn't for some software that no longer updated, I wouldn't have done it

My old computer showed signs that it wasn't going to come back from the abyss many more times after one of our recent blackouts, and we were having them too often, so I decided it was time. But yea, knowing I had to get Win 11, and that most of the games I like to play were just going to become even more graphic hogs, I was going to get the best computer I could get quickly.

I'm not having any problems anymore, but I'm running on a 3090 now. Before I got my new PC, LoF final ran better on my Surface 7 than my desktop, even though LoF 7 didn't give it any problems (I experienced the same lag issue when Ripples upgraded to Renpy 8).

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
My old computer showed signs that it wasn't going to come back from the abyss many more times after one of our recent blackouts, and we were having them too often, so I decided it was time. But yea, knowing I had to get Win 11, and that most of the games I like to play were just going to become even more graphic hogs, I was going to get the best computer I could get quickly.

I'm not having any problems anymore, but I'm running on a 3090 now. Before I got my new PC, LoF final ran better on my Surface 7 than my desktop, even though LoF 7 didn't give it any problems (I experienced the same lag issue when Ripples upgraded to Renpy 8).
that's it; if your machine runs windows 10 or 11, and you use image-based software or games, an RTX 3090 or its competitor Amd RX 6900 XT becomes the minimum required for normal operation. When I think that the first PC I built ran on windows 3.1 which was installed with only 10 3"1/4 floppies, the previous one only ran under Dos, that is to say, no graphical interface... :giggle:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
that's it; if your machine runs windows 10 or 11, and you use image-based software or games, an RTX 3090 or its competitor Amd RX 6900 XT becomes the minimum required for normal operation. When I think that the first PC I built ran on windows 3.1 which was installed with only 10 3"1/4 floppies, the previous one only ran under Dos, that is to say, no graphical interface... :giggle:

We had an Hewelett Packard (they didn't call themselves HP yet) PC, one of the first with 3-1/4 drives, and I think something under 512kb RAM? I don't remember exactly. I know in school my freshman year we had access to the PAL two-drive machines, one 5-1/2 inch drive for operations and one for saving stuff. Also, to even further cement dating myself, my 8th grade class received the school's first Apple IIe's

And my Commodore 64 kept me from going to the front lines in the middle east, so I kinda have a soft spot for it still. (not that it works anymore I suspect, but its still somewhere in this house ...)

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
We had an Hewelett Packard (they didn't call themselves HP yet) PC, one of the first with 3-1/4 drives, and I think something under 512kb RAM? I don't remember exactly. I know in school my freshman year we had access to the PAL two-drive machines, one 5-1/2 inch drive for operations and one for saving stuff. Also, to even further cement dating myself, my 8th grade class received the school's first Apple IIe's

And my Commodore 64 kept me from going to the front lines in the middle east, so I kinda have a soft spot for it still. (not that it works anymore I suspect, but its still somewhere in this house ...)
Pretty sure they had a few of those HPs in the computer lab in college - did my sadistics assignments on them (think I still have the 5.5" disks with the regression analysis program on it...). Tan & brown console, orange screen. God they were awful!

My Cobol class was on a mainframe. They still had punchcards and taught that to MIS majors. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with any of that.

talion777

Apr 5, 2022
Geez, you go away for a week and look what happens. I don't have a dog. Maverick and Star Wars are the same movie, except there's flag waving in Maverick, drop in likes? They didn't like me before and they still don't so no cause for alarm there! lol. Preview for U4IA looks good and I liked the song. Technical stuff (what?) . Old computer. Check! Thank God! I can relate to that one! Can we form a club? We could have cookies.

Ah. Groupings of random internet strangers again. Feels like home. :p

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
I grew up on a variety of computers (some systems I still don't know the names of to this day used at my father's office, an early Atari for us kids, Tandy-brand PC for the family, eventually a 286sx, and so on as the tech progressed) but the one that was really the first that was "mine" was an Amiga 500 which was phenomenal at the time for games, sound, and multimedia in general. Also still have it put away and can get it to boot but most of the disks have issues at this point. Luckily there are decent emulators I guess. I still remember lots of games I'd see advertised for Commodore 64 before they came to Amiga which I'd be jealous of to a degree, haha. Anyway, looking back, one scene from the game Chrono Quest II that I played on it on it may have been one of the earlier contributions to my interest in adult content at video games:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Geez, you go away for a week and look what happens.
No rest for the wicked. :devilish: But yeah, sometimes even a couple days and there can be too much to catch up on for me.

Old computer. Check! Thank God! I can relate to that one! Can we form a club? We could have cookies.
I'm in! Mmm... cookies. Speaking of which, Easter weekend is upon us for me which is the one time of year I'll indulge in some Reeses Peanut Butter cups since the egg shaped ones they make this time of year are the best ones. Cadbury eggs are just way too sweet for me at this point but loved them as a kid. I do also love Russell Stover Maple Creme eggs but haven't seen them on sale anywhere locally in years.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
... interesting class there ...
Yup. I initially had a mental block with that one for some reason, then some TA said maybe my mind just didn't grasp those kinds of things (he never saw my SAT or IQ tests). Block cleared; aced the class and had top grade.

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Pfff, old computers.

I remember when I had to play OUTSIDE.

Resolution was great, but the gameplay could be dull.
... but did you have a "Climbing Tree" that you had to trek through a nearby field to play on, and only the neighborhood kids knew where it was so the parents never found you until you headed back?

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I grew up on a variety of computers (some systems I still don't know the names of to this day used at my father's office, an early Atari for us kids, Tandy-brand PC for the family, eventually a 286sx, and so on as the tech progressed) but the one that was really the first that was "mine" was an Amiga 500 which was phenomenal at the time for games, sound, and multimedia in general. Also still have it put away and can get it to boot but most of the disks have issues at this point. Luckily there are decent emulators I guess. I still remember lots of games I'd see advertised for Commodore 64 before they came to Amiga which I'd be jealous of to a degree, haha. Anyway, looking back, one scene from the game Chrono Quest II that I played on it on it may have been one of the earlier contributions to my interest in adult content at video games:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No rest for the wicked. :devilish: But yeah, sometimes even a couple days and there can be too much to catch up on for me.

I'm in! Mmm... cookies. Speaking of which, Easter weekend is upon us for me which is the one time of year I'll indulge in some Reeses Peanut Butter cups since the egg shaped ones they make this time of year are the best ones. Cadbury eggs are just way too sweet for me at this point but loved them as a kid. I do also love Russell Stover Maple Creme eggs but haven't seen them on sale anywhere locally in years.
C64 was still big when I was in college, and one of my girlfriends continued to have one around after graduation - the first place I played "Leisure Suit Larry". :ROFLMAO:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I grew up on a variety of computers (some systems I still don't know the names of to this day used at my father's office, an early Atari for us kids, Tandy-brand PC for the family, eventually a 286sx, and so on as the tech progressed) but the one that was really the first that was "mine" was an Amiga 500 which was phenomenal at the time for games, sound, and multimedia in general.
The first CG animation I ever saw was on my friend's Amiga (I don't remember the number). It was the first -- and only -- time I saw one, and all it was was a mirrored ball moving around randomly -- but logically -- on a checkered background, and the background warped around the ball as it moved.

It was the most amazing thing I'd seen outside of a movie theater, and now my phone can display graphics that it can't even compare to. We live in weird times.

Reactions: hampsure

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
Mid to late 70s: bicycles, baseballs and BB guns. Damn I miss that shit!
I do like feeling like a youngster here on occasion having my childhood in the early 80s, haha. Good times indeed... I wonder if most more modern kids have/had the freedom or interest to get up to even of portion of the stuff we had pretty free reign to do (as long as we were back by dinner in my family). And yeah, the bikes, playing ball (or hockey), ghost/flashlight tag and catching fireflies at dusk are all great memories but what I think I loved the most was being able to go outside and just constantly create our own adventures that were solely based on our imaginations and having friends/siblings that would totally be in on it.

For you with BB guns I guess nobody knew yet that, "you'll shoot your eye out." :ROFLMAO: My friends, family, and I were all about nerf battles for when it was time to stay inside and I feel like we were constantly aiming for each other's heads despite knowing better, though nut-shots were extremely satisfying. Calmer indoor activities when left to our own devices usually involved GI Joe, Go-Bots, Transformers, TMNT (more my younger brother), He-Man and She-Ra, and whatever other action figures we had. We also got pretty into RC cars as well for a while which we'd work on indoors and play with outdoors. Then there'd be times where we'd just build large structures out of playing cards in the middle of the living room floor and get annoyed when our parents wanted to take them down. :ROFLMAO:

The first CG animation I ever saw was on my friend's Amiga (I don't remember the number). It was the first -- and only -- time I saw one, and all it was was a mirrored ball moving around randomly -- but logically -- on a checkered background, and the background warped around the ball as it moved.
Yes! I remember seeing something that sounds similar that as well. The original bouncing ball demo from Amiga inspired a lot of what would be done or used in future promotions along with some of the incredible artwork and musical accomplishments. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. When I eventually found out about the Video Toaster (and also Lightwave 3D) it all blew my mind. Though it was a dream to have my own, my hardware wasn't good enough and I couldn't afford it anyway, but I had the pleasure of later working with systems that had them in a HS class and at one of the places I worked in HS. By then I was onto more advanced hardware and the software those systems used myself but they were still we're amazing at what they could do so simply (and the real time video switching/effects were just plain fun). Sadly Amiga died after being acquired by Gateway but what they did before that was incredible compared to what a lot of other systems were doing.

I had most of the Sierra games, and almost all of the TSR goldbox games.
Ah, same! Sierra games were a staple of my childhood. Played most of the Kings Quest, Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory), and Space Quest games along with some others. I was very into first and second edition D&D/AD&D so the TSR Goldbox games hold a special place in my heart. For some reason Curse of the Azure Bonds always sticks out in my mind but not sure if that was my favorite of them or one of the ones I regularly confuse with my actual favorite. On the Amiga I remember one of my favs (at least in the RPG and dungeon crawling genre) being Dungeon Master which there was just nothing quite like until maybe Eye of the Beholder.

What's amazing is how crazy in depth a lot of the games could get... some way too much so when they lacked enough intuitiveness and context in-game (but then hint-books and hotlines did become part of the business model for a bit). I remember playing Might and Magic II (I think) with a friend when we were kids and we were so amazingly high level that the game was throwing armies of thousands of lower level enemies at us on occasion and we'd have to spend hours for one encounter pressing the space bar for every single enemy and waiting for it to play a very annoying congratulatory PC speaker sound thousands of times in row and yet we often had extremely little idea how to actually progress things. When I looked things up years later I was like "How the heck was anyone supposed to be able to do/find ALL these random things in these very specific places in order to accomplish even a portion of what needed to be done?" o_O

• Red Heart
Reactions: Elhemeer

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
For some reason Curse of the Azure Bonds always sticks out in my mind but not sure if that was my favorite of them or one of the ones I regularly confuse with my actual favorite.
Curse and it's series was one of my favorites, but mostly because I read the Azure Bonds trilogy, which IS probably my favorite D&D story (aside from Red Sands, which is only an honorary D&D story) But I'd actually say Eye and Savage Lands are probably my favorites overall. Eye because it was among those that were a precursor to free roam, and the two Savage Lands games mostly because they were upgrades over the previous games and they introduced romance, which I was the perfect age to appreciate.
When I looked things up years later I was like "How the heck was anyone supposed to be able to do/find ALL these random things in these very specific places in order to accomplish even a portion of what needed to be done?" o_O
... and that's why you could buy the cheat guides on the same shelves you could buy the games.

Reactions: hampsure
4.80 star(s) 560 Votes