hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
Also, did you play any of the other SSI games? Buck Rogers was my favorite of the non-D&D stuff.
Not that I recall other than their D&D stuff (was even hooked on Dungeon Hack for a bit), maybe one of their baseball games? I didn't even remember the Buck Rogers game - surprised I never played that as I had liked the tv series as a kid and was also into space games but most were more much more combat than RPG, like the Wing Commander franchise (Privateer being a favorite).

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Not that I recall other than their D&D stuff (was even hooked on Dungeon Hack for a bit), maybe one of their baseball games? I didn't even remember the Buck Rogers game - surprised I never played that as I had liked the tv series as a kid and was also into space games but most were more much more combat than RPG, like the Wing Commander franchise (Privateer being a favorite).
(y) *This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

deducify

Mar 26, 2023
Yes, AL is a great story, but it goes to that place that LOF stops just short of... there is no "but this is just a game" in AL Absolutely stay clear if dealing with depression or if you couldn't handle the depth of LOA...LOA treads water in the deep end of the pool, AL throws you off the high dive and hopes you can swim.
I started AL, just wanted to know if what you've warned me about occurs in the main path like LOF... ? Or only in specific paths. (I'm gonna assume it's a parth of the main story)

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
I started AL, just wanted to know if what you've warned me about occurs in the main path like LOF... ? Or only in specific paths. (I'm gonna assume it's a parth of the main story)
It's part of the main story but if you go down the route of picking one of the girls than it gets stronger.

deducify

Mar 26, 2023
It's part of the main story but if you go down the route of picking one of the girls than it gets stronger.
Hmm I see. I understand what you mean like in LOF it's stronger with Cece' path.

Here's the thing that I've noticed. It's definitely a better experience to play LOF first with Cece's path but ofcourse you can choose not to. Before actually choosing her (at Lexi's place) you are already met with a lot of incidents and scenes that involve her. So naturally you know Cece more and it has an influence in making the decision. Which is not surprising coz most ppl chose Cece's path first (including me).

Does something similar happen in AL ? (It would be nice if it went with the flow)

Or if you could tell who to choose **(if it doesn't spoil anything)** then let me know...

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
this one I wanted to come back to and really experience again.
Even though it's finished and I've played all the routes, I still try to come back and play through LOF at least every other month. monthly if I can and I try a different route each time to keep them all fresh

I also liked that the author made a point of the future being uncertain rather than going with a complete happily ever after type message/ending which I don't feel like would have fit.
Real life rarely has happily ever after's. When dealing with real issues that so many can relate to, Happily more often than not and continually striving to do better just tends rings truer.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Hmm I see. I understand what you mean like in LOF it's stronger with Cece' path.

Here's the thing that I've noticed. It's definitely a better experience to play LOF first with Cece's path but ofcourse you can choose not to. Before actually choosing her (at Lexi's place) you are already met with a lot of incidents and scenes that involve her. So naturally you know Cece more and it has an influence in making the decision. Which is not surprising coz most ppl chose Cece's path first (including me).

Does something similar happen in AL ? (It would be nice if it went with the flow)

Or if you could tell who to choose **(if it doesn't spoil anything)** then let me know...
My bad. I thought you were talking about Cece and LOF. I have no idea about AL.

Also what is AL?

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
that's it; if your machine runs windows 10 or 11, and you use image-based software or games, an RTX 3090 or its competitor Amd RX 6900 XT becomes the minimum required for normal operation. When I think that the first PC I built ran on windows 3.1 which was installed with only 10 3"1/4 floppies, the previous one only ran under Dos, that is to say, no graphical interface... :giggle:

Yeah I just bought my current computer in February because I needed something I could render with, My laptop couldn't cut it. I am already realizing that I need an even nicer desktop that renders even faster so I can lock that one up doing animations and keep doing still frames on this one. My laptop is now at work permanently where I use it to write script and set up minimal scenes to render later at home. I just filed my taxes and should be getting back over $5500, so I will probably put all of that (and possibly a little more) towards getting a system with dual, water cooled GEFORCE RTX 3090's

Reactions: Elhemeer

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
We had an Hewelett Packard (they didn't call themselves HP yet) PC, one of the first with 3-1/4 drives, and I think something under 512kb RAM? I don't remember exactly. I know in school my freshman year we had access to the PAL two-drive machines, one 5-1/2 inch drive for operations and one for saving stuff. Also, to even further cement dating myself, my 8th grade class received the school's first Apple IIe's

And my Commodore 64 kept me from going to the front lines in the middle east, so I kinda have a soft spot for it still. (not that it works anymore I suspect, but its still somewhere in this house ...)
Let me date myself... In 9th grade I learned DOS programing on a Tandy computer! I also remember playing Mario Brothers before they were "Super", lol I got my NES for Christmas the first year they were out... in 7th grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elhemeer

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
The first CG animation I ever saw was on my friend's Amiga (I don't remember the number). It was the first -- and only -- time I saw one, and all it was was a mirrored ball moving around randomly -- but logically -- on a checkered background, and the background warped around the ball as it moved.

It was the most amazing thing I'd seen outside of a movie theater, and now my phone can display graphics that it can't even compare to. We live in weird times.
When I was 4 my dad brought home our first video game console... PONG! About a year later we got an Atari 2600.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
I'm just gonna leave this here....

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
I also remember playing Mario Brothers before they were "Super", lol I got my NES for Christmas the first year they were out
But did you get the one that came packaged with the Nes Zapper for Duck Hunt and R.O.B. for Gyromite? :p May not have been the first year they were out technically (can't remember) but that was the package I recall my family got when they became available at the local Toys R Us and such. Never used either much beyond initially... NES Advantage controller was the NES accessory that I remember getting the most mileage out of.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
But did you get the one that came packaged with the Nes Zapper for Duck Hunt and R.O.B. for Gyromite? :p May not have been the first year they were out technically (can't remember) but that was the package I recall my family got when they became available at the local Toys R Us and such. Never used either much beyond initially... NES Advantage controller was the NES accessory that I remember getting the most mileage out of.
Mine came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt and 2 controllers and the zapper.
For those who've never seen it, the Original "Mario Bros" was more like Joust or Donkey Kong... mario Bros.png

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
When I was 4 my dad brought home our first video game console... PONG!
Same here... I'm pretty sure ours was some knockoff or store-specific brand. It came with two paddles, a light gun, and a few games besides pong.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.
Konami code was an essential in a lot of games. :LOL:

the Original "Mario Bros" was more like Joust
Joust! Wow, I used to sit in front of that game (on an Atari I believe) until I'd been yelled at a million times that dinner was getting cold. It would get pretty crazy as it progressed.

We completely went the Atari route. Started with the 400!
Need to thank you guys again for making me feel slightly young. ;) I remember having either a 600XL or 800XL (need to go dig it out and see)... think we had a different or slightly earlier model before that but it died in a lightning strike. :eek:

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Konami code was an essential in a lot of games. :LOL:
Nothing like starting the game with 30 lives!! I used to play Contra for hours! Loved that game!

Same here... I'm pretty sure ours was some knockoff or store-specific brand. It came with two paddles, a light gun, and a few games besides pong.
Pretty sure that was a later version then... the one we had only played pong and looked like this... Pong-CONSOLE.jpeg

You had to sit right next to each other to play because each of those dials is for one person.

Reactions: hampsure

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Nothing like starting the game with 30 lives!! I used to play Contra for hours! Loved that game!

Pretty sure that was a later version then... the one we had only played pong and looked like this... View attachment 2532012

You had to sit right next to each other to play because each of those dials is for one person.
Ooohhh ... I think we had that (not sure, might just have had the cartridge for the 400 ...)

talion777

Apr 5, 2022
Let me date myself... In 9th grade I learned DOS programing on a Tandy computer! I also remember playing Mario Brothers before they were "Super", lol I got my NES for Christmas the first year they were out... in 7th grade.
First video game I played was Pong. Yikes. I remember when NES came out and I wanted it just so I could play Shadowgate. And when I went outside to play I had to go uphill, both ways, to and from the climbing tree, where of course I used to hide from the Pterodactyls. Rock music still consisted of banging two rocks together. Good times.

4.80 star(s) 563 Votes