funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Yeah I agree. Most python games heavily depend on the processor. Hence why I thought my old notebook (which was lying around catching dust) would work just fine. I was just ramping on about other games and their graphics requirements.

I was actually going to run these games off of a VM lol. Now, with the way how RenPy 8 is handling things, it is a terrible idea.
Yeh I hear you. Also in regards to games from Sony Playstations. Sony uses their own proprietary game engines, and converting them into something like Quake engines or others doesn't always work out well, as many 'routines' need to be rewritten, and often with many bugs. Not many game studios are willing to spend time and resources making a decent Emulator to run Sony console games..

In my experience the company that has the best optimizations for their games is Rockstar. They're on another level. Sure they're hackable, but same can be said about every other studio. (y)

Reactions: deducify

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Just an important note though, as much as I 100% agree with your observations on shitty releases and bad optimization, majority if not all Python based games(IE: Renpy games specifically), are accelerated through the CPU and not the graphics card. So having a 4090 founder edition Nvidia card won't benefit anything with AVNs.

Example bellow is a screenie I just took as I'm playing through LoF the kitchen scene where the MC is playing around with the lettuce (which is animated), GPU usage 0% and everything is being threaded through the CPU.

And my Radeon RX580 is a fairly old GPU. But I'm happy with it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
All I know is that Renpy animations played well on my old computer before Renpy 8 ... when 8 started being introduced, those same animations suddenly became lag quagmires. And LoF froze completely trying to play the post-credit u4ia trailer.

When my computer then started showing signs due to recent power outages that it wasn't long for this world, I decided it was time for an upgrade, and now no more lagging.

Now, that could be the GPU, or the new processor, since they both got upgraded at the same time. But the new GPU definitely is helping with my non-Renpy games.

Reactions: deducify

deducify

Mar 26, 2023
Yeh I hear you. Also in regards to games from Sony Playstations. Sony uses their own proprietary game engines, and converting them into something like Quake engines or others doesn't always work out well, as many 'routines' need to be rewritten, and often with many bugs. Not many game studios are willing to spend time and resources making a decent Emulator to run Sony console games..

In my experience the company that has the best optimizations for their games is Rockstar. They're on another level. Sure they're hackable, but same can be said about every other studio. (y)
Lol yeah. TBH I'd just let Last of Us and other games like Uncharted be exclusive to the playstation. I guess everyone will have eyes on GTA 6 (whenever that comes out !) and hope it doesn't turn into something like CP 2077.

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

deducify

Mar 26, 2023
All I know is that Renpy animations played well on my old computer before Renpy 8 ... when 8 started being introduced, those same animations suddenly became lag quagmires. And LoF froze completely trying to play the post-credit u4ia trailer.

When my computer then started showing signs due to recent power outages that it wasn't long for this world, I decided it was time for an upgrade, and now no more lagging.

Now, that could be the GPU, or the new processor, since they both got upgraded at the same time. But the new GPU definitely is helping with my non-Renpy games.
I struggled to get through all the animations at first. Getting the compressed version of the game helped with the processing and my sanity for a while. I just wish LOF could've stuck to RenPy 7. Especially when there are games like Summers Gone in which the renders where beyond words and my crapbook handled them just fine.

Reactions: Elhemeer

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
1st, That's larger than the entire hard drive of my first 3 computers put together.
well on my 1st i had bit over 10 gigs of hdd space (doubled when switched to XP), 2nd jumped to 320 and 3rd has bit under 2 teras total space (games would need more space).
Jesus, guys. If I told you how long it took for me to even get 1 GB in a PC you'd probably wonder why my bones weren't dust already.
Between my two desktop boxes I'm probably sitting on 15TB now, with another few in the media server. I never even dreamed of this kind of storage space back in my BBS days, where the rich folk had a few CD drives for their mass archive storage. The concept of VNs alone (and their image quality) would have absolutely blown minds.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Jesus, guys. If I told you how long it took for me to even get 1 GB in a PC you'd probably wonder why my bones weren't dust already.
Between my two desktop boxes I'm probably sitting on 15TB now, with another few in the media server. I never even dreamed of this kind of storage space back in my BBS days, where the rich folk had a few CD drives for their mass archive storage. The concept of VNs alone (and their image quality) would have absolutely blown minds.
Sounds like we might have been classmates. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Hey there
Reactions: Ilhares

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Yeah.. I'm just gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, but as long as you're happy with that delusion that's fine.
No worries. I completely understand why most will either be more attracted to a character such as Holy or Lexi.
But in my case, Cece's character hits really close to home.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Yeah, Tandy's didn't have very much in the way of hard drive space. :ROFLMAO:

talion777

Apr 5, 2022
Yeah, Tandy's didn't have very much in the way of hard drive space. :ROFLMAO:
I think you need to be clearer in your statement, because I immediately thought of Jessica Tandy, then hard drive space, then got to wonder just how well hung is Morgan Freeman anyway, and it only went downhill from there. Then I checked the quoted segment and realized you were talking about a computer. You caused me mental anguish man... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
I think you need to be clearer in your statement, because I immediately thought of Jessica Tandy, then hard drive space, then got to wonder just how well hung is Morgan Freeman anyway, and it only went downhill from there. Then I checked the quoted segment and realized you were talking about a computer. You caused me mental anguish man... :oops:
Think this is the Tandy he was referring to :ROFLMAO:
th-1402577084.jpg

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well today games are released half finished and after installation needs to dl gigs of updates (hrs or days of dling) which make game more playable and repeat it for next couple months (year+).

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
If you mean me, I never referred to a Tandy at all. I was into computers before they really came on the scene.
lol Figures.
I started C & Pascal programing classes in 6th or 7th grade back in "81 I believe it was (give or take a yr). If I recall was on a Apple IIe or was it Apple III. And who doesn't have a story of messing with the teachers' test program on discs. I used to have all my old hardware as well, until a flood dealt with them. All those old 6" floppies gone. :/

Lesson learned to never keep your old nostalgic hardware in the basement. lol

4.80 star(s) 563 Votes