Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Maybe, R18 (unpatched) is filled with bugs.

This is the patch's changelog:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Not sure if it contains the fix of the bug you are experiencing, it depends on the interaction I guess? I'd need more details.

The idea is that Patreon/SS is not a shop, but a way to support the creator.
Of course making fan games/parodies as a whole is a grey area, sale or not.

If it is for the sake of supporting this project, just playing the game and giving feedback/suggestion goes a long way, and it is really appreciated.

This is the content of the changelog in the download we have here, so I guess it's still the Alpha then.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018

This is the content of the changelog in the download we have here, so I guess it's still the Alpha then.
Yeah, but I am not sure if the bug you are experiencing has been fixed. Can you describe it in more details? Unless you recognize it as one of the fixes

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Yeah, but I am not sure if the bug you are experiencing has been fixed. Can you describe it in more details? Unless you recognize it as one of the fixes
It's the same as this: -Fixed: Rest from campfire freezing the game when triggering a battle.

Only interactions available are saves, there's no icon, nothing other than the background. Except that in this case, it happens when trying to go up the stairs, but it's the same symptom as the rest "freezing".

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
Maybe, R18 (unpatched) is filled with bugs.

Not sure if it contains the fix of the bug you are experiencing, it depends on the interaction I guess? I'd need more details.
Did you change the filename for the patched version? If I look at a link and see the same filename I assume I got the right version so if you didn't in the future consider adding revisions like A B C etc that way fans know they are up to date instead of f it, downloading again.

Reactions: jadih96207

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Did you change the filename for the patched version? If I look at a link and see the same filename I assume I got the right version so if you didn't in the future consider adding revisions like A B C etc that way fans know they are up to date instead of f it, downloading again.
I didn't because by the time it reaches Tier 1/Public, it's "R18" as it should be. I do not really plan around alpha getting leaked (as most of the times it shouldn't really make a huge difference, it was just an unlucky coincidence for R18 to be so bugged and also getting leaked).

However, a changelog is included in each release, and that includes patches as well.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I didn't because by the time it reaches Tier 1/Public, it's "R18" as it should be. I do not really plan around alpha getting leaked (as most of the times it shouldn't really make a huge difference, it was just an unlucky coincidence for R18 to be so bugged and also getting leaked).

However, a changelog is included in each release, and that includes patches as well.
So, long story short, there's a new version which hasn't been leaked yet. :D
Would begging help *chuckles*

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
So, long story short, there's a new version which hasn't been leaked yet. :D
Would begging help *chuckles*
It is not quite a new version, but a patch.
A new version releases on the 28th, and the one that leaked the game is still subbed on my patreon, so it is likely that R19 will get leaked as well.

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021

Any time you make changes you really should as it can be rather confusing otherwise. Not everyone will skim the changelog they will look at the filename and file size and small typos aren't going to affect a 3.76 GB file much. Asking fans to redownload between patreon and public is really confusing as if there wasn't any changes you just wasted time and bandwidth but if there were bugfixess well is that the same file I downloaded earlier or a newer revised version? Things like that are why major.minor.revision are popular :)

Even if I wanted to report a bugfix to a mod convincing them it's not the same file that's already up would be rather complicated if you just rerelease the same filename :p

Putting even a different thing like patreon release or public release would let fans know if they got a leaked version or not :whistle:

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Any time you make changes you really should as it can be rather confusing otherwise. Not everyone will skim the changelog they will look at the filename and file size and small typos aren't going to affect a 3.76 GB file much. Asking fans to redownload between patreon and public is really confusing as if there wasn't any changes you just wasted time and bandwidth but if there were bugfixess well is that the same file I downloaded earlier or a newer revised version? Things like that are why major.minor.revision are popular :)

Even if I wanted to report a bugfix to a mod convincing them it's not the same file that's already up would be rather complicated if you just rerelease the same filename :p
They won't redownload the same version, R18 is currently alpha (5 dollars tier) and all the fixes are basically done to have a stable build once it shifts to 1 dollar tier (which is considered the current release).
I do not expect people subbed to 5 dollars tier to redownload the same build just to have some fixes, but that's a possibility since Patreon notifies everyone about the changes and the changelog (contained in the patreon post) lists all the fixes/changes.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: AlexaSky

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
They won't redownload the same version, R18 is currently alpha (5 dollars tier) and all the fixes are basically done to have a stable build once it shifts to 1 dollar tier (which is considered the current release).
I do not expect people subbed to 5 dollars tier to redownload the same build just to have some fixes, but that's a possibility since Patreon notifies everyone about the changes and the changelog (contained in the patreon post) lists all the fixes/changes.
Depends on how big the bugfixes are. Still it only takes a second to add a revision so people know they are on r18a but the latest is r18b and you're reuploading the file anyway. If I heard this was the janky version I would go on patreon to see if I got that or the latest because while I'm not fond of leaks making sure people at least get a good experience from it can boost reputation.

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
Well if you made patches smaller than redownloading the whole game some would but proper versioning is important. Ambiguity isn't your friend when going bug hunting as you've described did you download the file from today, yesterday, or a month ago and they're all labeled the same :HideThePain:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Well if you made patches smaller than redownloading the whole game some would but proper versioning is important. Ambiguity isn't your friend when going bug hunting as you've described did you download the file from today, yesterday, or a month ago and they're all labeled the same :HideThePain:
Unfortunately Unity is hard to patch as it does not offer any patching system. I can only patch code changes as that's easy to replace.
I looked into buying a patching system, but I have never found a good offline solution...

Luckily, it kind of works anyways as R18 is R18, so by the time the fixed release shifts from Tier 2 to Tier 1, people will download a new game while Tier 2 will be trying out R19.
Of course that doesn't take into account leaks or any other changes, but that should be a rare occurence as releases are never this much broken (Just this one time as far as I can remember).

• Thinking Face

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
Unfortunately Unity is hard to patch as it does not offer any patching system. I can only patch code changes as that's easy to replace.
I looked into buying a patching system, but I have never found a good offline solution...
What about PATCH - Updating System?

Or SG Patcher - Update your game easily?

Found these on unityassetcollection

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What about PATCH - Updating System?

Pixeldrain
Pixeldrain

Or SG Patcher - Update your game easily?

Pixeldrain

Found these on unityassetcollection
They both require a server/storage and the launcher would update all the old releases, which would be incompatible with my current setup of having 3 different builds (Public, Current and Alpha).

I'd prefer something completely offline, maybe at some point if they are added in a bundle I'll give a look and see if it is an unadvertised feature or something I can easily edit for future projects.
That, or maybe someday I'll change the current model I use and simply have a release for everybody.

Reactions: vilewe7570

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
They both require a server/storage and the launcher would update all the old releases, which would be incompatible with my current setup of having 3 different builds (Public, Current and Alpha).

I'd prefer something completely offline, maybe at some point if they are added in a bundle I'll give a look and see if it is an unadvertised feature or something I can easily edit for future projects.
That, or maybe someday I'll change the current model I use and simply have a release for everybody.
I didn't read the forums much but they did list an Offline mode.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I didn't read the forums much but they did list an Offline mode.

Ohh, that's interesting. Nice digging, I had completely missed that... I am going to give them a look as soon as I can.
If they work like I imagine/hope, then I could deliver patches when needed as downloadable files, then once I release a new build, they'll no longer be needed to avoid having to download dozens of patches.

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021

Luckily, it kind of works anyways as R18 is R18, so by the time the fixed release shifts from Tier 2 to Tier 1, people will download a new game while Tier 2 will be trying out R19.
Of course that doesn't take into account leaks or any other changes, but that should be a rare occurence as releases are never this much broken (Just this one time as far as I can remember).
R18.1 would inform people it's different from R18 :p It's really good practice to increment revisions when things get changed and you can do that with a small tweak to the file name.

Hopefully R19 is more stable but if it needs bugfixes let people know that the R19 with bugfixes is different from the R19 initial release. Just saying "R18 is R18" doesn't show you're fixing things and people will assume you're just leaving things for the next version which given the trickle down model is a safe assumption which sells your efforts short.

Good luck with the patching system and hopefully you find an offline solution.

3.60 star(s) 19 Votes