Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Talking about SO, seens one more dev fell to the pleasures of underage flesh, although dev is a very strong word in this case, makes one glad Selebus is just a narcisistic prick and not a minor diddler.
Oh yeah, i threw SO right in the bin and scrubbed my computer of everything related to it after the news dropped. I'd hate to do the same for LiL but if it turned out Selly was also a fucking predator of minors i'd have to throw all my LiL shit out too. Fiction is fiction and that's where it fucking belongs.

John E. Ringo

Apr 19, 2020
Since everyone but Molly is Japanese, pronouncing their names should follow Japanese language standards. NOTE: NOT a native Japanese speaker, only know enough to be dangerous if I were instructing kindergartners lol.

Vowels are the key to each sound in Japanese, and learning what the vowels sound like should be a big assist to guide your pronunciation. Consonants (with the exception of "n" which can be a stand-alone sound in Japanese) are used with a vowel. Plus there are a few English/Roman letters not used in Japanese (like "L", though "R" sounds like a slightly rolled combination of both L and R).

a= ah
e= eh (channel your inner Canadian!!!)
i= ee
o=oh
u= oo

So Io would be "ee-oh", Uta would be "oo-tah", Rin would be "leen/reen", Ami would be "ah-mee", Ayane would be "ah-yah-neh", etc.

Japanese also does not have emphasized/strong syllables in their multiple syllable words so each sound/syllable should be sounded with similar inflection throughout the word (i.e. Ayane would be "ah-yah-ne" and not "ah-YAH-ne" or "ah-yah-NE").

Here ends my first-grade level of Japanese grammar lesson. :duncecap:

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
This conversation about language reminded me that Otoha apparently forgot that they have been speaking Japanese:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
4th wall break? Or actual characterization? The world may never know.

• Haha
Reactions: LuisD and Bingoogus

blackredfish

Feb 10, 2018
Since everyone but Molly is Japanese, pronouncing their names should follow Japanese language standards. NOTE: NOT a native Japanese speaker, only know enough to be dangerous if I were instructing kindergartners lol.

Vowels are the key to each sound in Japanese, and learning what the vowels sound like should be a big assist to guide your pronunciation. Consonants (with the exception of "n" which can be a stand-alone sound in Japanese) are used with a vowel. Plus there are a few English/Roman letters not used in Japanese (like "L", though "R" sounds like a slightly rolled combination of both L and R).

a= ah
e= eh (channel your inner Canadian!!!)
i= ee
o=oh
u= oo

So Io would be "ee-oh", Uta would be "oo-tah", Rin would be "leen/reen", Ami would be "ah-mee", Ayane would be "ah-yah-neh", etc.

Japanese also does not have emphasized/strong syllables in their multiple syllable words so each sound/syllable should be sounded with similar inflection throughout the word (i.e. Ayane would be "ah-yah-ne" and not "ah-YAH-ne" or "ah-yah-NE").

Here ends my first-grade level of Japanese grammar lesson. :duncecap:
All correct, though it seems Selebus himself does not pronounce them in japanese. I mean:

Bingus Bongus

Jun 12, 2023
This conversation about language reminded me that Otoha apparently forgot that they have been speaking Japanese:
4th wall break? Or actual characterization? The world may never know.
Selly didn't break the fourth wall, he long ago glassed it with nuclear armageddon. No stone remains standing atop another, a genocide of all fourth walls that the biblical apocalypse couldn't match. Moments like this are merely an echo of the undying supernovae of hatred burning in his heart for all things wall.

Feb 14, 2022
This is an interesting thing by the way, because in Russian we pronounce You-ta.

And we have a whole dispute all the time about the sounds of Japanese, since there is a Polivanov system. But we also often use transcription of English sounds into Japanese words.

By the way, unhappy Molly, no one can pronounce her name properly. Morry will turn out, haha

• Haha
Reactions: BudgetPro

BudgetPro

Nov 11, 2020
Note: We are nowhere near endgame. We're not even at the midpoint yet.
i didnt mean endgame in an esoteric sense. i just meant literally the end portion of the content currently available (many hours away from the beginning. where you would have to return to if you screwed up a choice in most games)

4.20 star(s) 295 Votes