Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
He might literally be the only person she can trust to love her in her point of view at the moment, and she can't afford to upset him.
Honestly, one thing that really pisses me off about half the characters in this story is the same thing that pisses me of in half of all the stories i consume, people don't just fuckin talk their issues out properly, if at all, like fuck, if i was Akira i'd be sitting her down and saying something like "ok, ffs Ami, you NEED to stop worrying about losing me, i'm never ever going to drop you, you have me for life, that doesn't mean you have me all to yourself, i want to hang out with your classmates, i want to hang out with my adult friends, but you will always be dear to me, you'll never have to move out and make a life for yourself without me so stop with all this possessive stalker crap, that's the sort of shit that could land you in an insane asylum and i don't want to lose you to that so just chill, just chill and we can be together as we have been for as long as we live."

Now, i recognise that would be absurd to hear coming from his lips but that seems to encapsulate his thoughts and feeling pretty well and full informs Ami of her options and what to do to keep her happy bubble safe and what will happen if she goes to far this way or that way. I'm not saying it'd work, but at least there'd be none of this obfuscated masking shit, if she rejects it then it'd be good if she could be just as bluntly honest in return, let rip on Sensei and leave him fully informed on wtf she's going through.

Have em go back and forth at each other, get it ALL out and deal with it and then maybe, just maybe, shit could improve and work in a more healthy way.

But i guess that'd make for a boring game and it's why i am a reader, not a writer.

Mushybird

Sep 17, 2021
Honestly, one thing that really pisses me off about half the characters in this story is the same thing that pisses me of in half of all the stories i consume, people don't just fuckin talk their issues out properly, if at all, like fuck, if i was Akira i'd be sitting her down and saying something like "ok, ffs Ami, you NEED to stop worrying about losing me, i'm never ever going to drop you, you have me for life, that doesn't mean you have me all to yourself, i want to hang out with your classmates, i want to hang out with my adult friends, but you will always be dear to me, you'll never have to move out and make a life for yourself without me so stop with all this possessive stalker crap, that's the sort of shit that could land you in an insane asylum and i don't want to lose you to that so just chill, just chill and we can be together as we have been for as long as we live."

Now, i recognise that would be absurd to hear coming from his lips but that seems to encapsulate his thoughts and feeling pretty well and full informs Ami of her options and what to do to keep her happy bubble safe and what will happen if she goes to far this way or that way. I'm not saying it'd work, but at least there'd be none of this obfuscated masking shit, if she rejects it then it'd be good if she could be just as bluntly honest in return, let rip on Sensei and leave him fully informed on wtf she's going through.

Have em go back and forth at each other, get it ALL out and deal with it and then maybe, just maybe, shit could improve and work in a more healthy way.

But i guess that'd make for a boring game and it's why i am a reader, not a writer.
Was abouta say, the point of interesting characters is to have flaws. Obviously if you just make Mary and Gary-Sue's everywhere who always say the right thing at the right time, there's no conflict, nothing to engross yourself in. If anything, BECAUSE the characters make such incorrect decisions helps the plot get deeper and deeper into what makes them tick. And allows us as an audience to engross ourselves in the lives of characters who say stuff we would never dream of saying in real life. Also, Haruka's final event this update was the best, because I am Scum.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Was abouta say, the point of interesting characters is to have flaws. Obviously if you just make Mary and Gary-Sue's everywhere who always say the right thing at the right time, there's no conflict, nothing to engross yourself in. If anything, BECAUSE the characters make such incorrect decisions helps the plot get deeper and deeper into what makes them tick. And allows us as an audience to engross ourselves in the lives of characters who say stuff we would never dream of saying in real life. Also, Haruka's final event this update was the best, because I am Scum.
I know, doesn't stop it being infuriating at times though, wanting to knock these dumbasses over the head can only really be borne out of giving a shit about them, the mark of good writing, but they're still dumbasses.

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021

It's interesting isn't it.
Alot of people think this way. I did so too in the past and sometimes i still do even i do know better nowadays.
If you're not involved and look at things from the outside, they seem so clear, and easy to solve.
But if you're involved, those things change.

It's like you watch a movie, with whatever involved romantics. Guy could get the girl but seems to behave stupid.
And audience is all like: Oh fuck why is he/she not just telling him/her about whats going on.

But life is just not that easy if you are in that position.
Circumstances can drastically alter how'd one behave, if one is incabable of seeing things from the outside (because that one is hard).

But that is about real life. And i don't know how good of a writer Sel really is to incorporate what i said into his story, or if this is all just a strange plot device, or a plot hole.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Bingoogus

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
There is one supernatural person/thing that might actually want to separate Ami and Maya, perhaps more than anything else.

Sekai.

She loves Ami:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But seems to hate Maya:
She's seemingly had Kaori ignore Maya, so I do wonder how she feels about Maya being her daughter's best friend.

How she could have set this up, I'm not sure, but it's not like what Sekai can or can't do, has been firmly established yet.
Has always been wondering why Sekai’s attitude towards Maya is like this. Though it mostly happens in happy scenes, her distaste seems warranted enough to mean something. But what’s the cause?

I don’t think Sekai ever met Maya back when she was alive, nor could she start a serious qualm with a wizard; so Sekai most likely came up with an otherworldly reason to hate Maya only after she died, which pretty much is a literal extension to Maya’s idea of “this world hates me”.

I suppose the obvious reason would be Maya being a dent to this world built for Akira, a dent that perceives the cycle and perhaps at some point tries to break him out of it. But even this feels like talking out of my ass level with the amount of conjectures.
(Like trying to figure out why this most enigmatic girl hates the other most enigmatic girl is literally breaking my brain)

Angiboat

Jun 22, 2020
I don’t think Sekai ever met Maya back when she was alive, nor could she start a serious qualm with a wizard; so Sekai most likely came up with an otherworldly reason to hate Maya only after she died, which pretty much is a literal extension to Maya’s idea of “this world hates me”.
Maya and Ami are roughly the same age, Ami was old enough to understand what happened when her parents died in the accident, and at the time Sensei was still dating Niki and was tutoring her and Noriko + Maya.
So odds are they did know one another in some way.
Though I could be wrong since apparently there's some holes in Maya's backstory according to Ami but I don't remember which ones those were and it could also be Ami gaslighting.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Nailed it.

Had a creative writing professor in college tell me "a good story is a series of interesting mistakes." I think of that every time somebody picks apart a character making a mistake in a movie that prevents the entire movie from happening.

If everybody makes the correct decisions, nothing of interest happens, there's no conflict (because they work it out the instant it arises), and people get tired of your story super quick. It's why I stopped playing My New Family -- every single conflict was talked out within 5 scenes and I got bored.

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021

A group of flawed characters making less than optimal decisions is what makes stories interesting for easily bored person like myself; but I support your idea because if those decisions are quite unbearable while much better solutions are so easily within grasp, it comes down to writers putting efforts into making readers think in characters' shoes, while avoiding things becoming too drawn out because writers promote readers to think like idiot characters way too much and often and push them off their boundaries.

I get this pissed off feeling of yours especially when reading materials with teenagers or straight up dumbasses as protagonists, or revisiting materials I liked when I was one of the teenagers or straight up dumbasses. It gets harder to say "yea I feel you" or "yea I'd do the same" when you get older. Or in other people's cases, that boundary of theirs has always been understandably stringent from the start due to their backgrounds.

ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
Nailed it.

Had a creative writing professor in college tell me "a good story is a series of interesting mistakes." I think of that every time somebody picks apart a character making a mistake in a movie that prevents the entire movie from happening.

If everybody makes the correct decisions, nothing of interest happens, there's no conflict (because they work it out the instant it arises), and people get tired of your story super quick. It's why I stopped playing My New Family -- every single conflict was talked out within 5 scenes and I got bored.
This discussion reminds of a piece of party banter from Dragon Age Inquisition between Cassandra and Varric that it took me a little while to find again that I think puts across the need for conflict within a story quite nicely.

• Cassandra: Varric, how could you let the Knight-Captain be framed for murder?
  • Varric: Well, I did spent three entire chapters setting it up.
  • Cassandra: But she didn't deserve it! You'd already put her through more than enough!
  • Varric: Look, Seeker, if you love a character, you give them pain, ruin their lives, make them suffer. Maybe even throw in a heroic death.
  • Cassandra: That makes no sense!
  • Varric: You care enough to argue. If she had a nice afternoon and took a nap, you'd stop reading.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
This discussion reminds of a piece of party banter from Dragon Age Inquisition between Cassandra and Varric that it took me a little while to find again that I think puts across the need for conflict within a story quite nicely.

• Cassandra: Varric, how could you let the Knight-Captain be framed for murder?
  • Varric: Well, I did spent three entire chapters setting it up.
  • Cassandra: But she didn't deserve it! You'd already put her through more than enough!
  • Varric: Look, Seeker, if you love a character, you give them pain, ruin their lives, make them suffer. Maybe even throw in a heroic death.
  • Cassandra: That makes no sense!
  • Varric: You care enough to argue. If she had a nice afternoon and took a nap, you'd stop reading.
Yup, I loved that banter.

As long as the mistakes they make are in-character for them, it's what keeps a good story going.

If they're making out of character bad decisions purely to stir the pot, that's when it becomes a problem.

butterfly boy

Feb 13, 2023

I want to add that this kind of thing works in LiL because every character is a teenager, they won't make correct decisions most of the time. And Sensei's motive is "do the bare minimum to have sex with teenage girls". He didn't talk with Ami before because she hasn't damaged any of his relationships yet and there was a good chance saying some of that stuff you said could backfire, and only started taking action when Ami was getting close to damaging his relationship with Chika. That's his general strategy, blindly hitting on girls without thinking of the consequences and hope that they don't find out. He won't even put in the effort to prevent them from finding out. If Sensei was more competent he would be fucking the entire class by now.

• Thinking Face

blackredfish

Feb 10, 2018
A group of flawed characters making less than optimal decisions is what makes stories interesting for easily bored person like myself; but I support your idea because if those decisions are quite unbearable while much better solutions are so easily within grasp, it comes down to writers putting efforts into making readers think in characters' shoes, while avoiding things becoming too drawn out because writers promote readers to think like idiot characters way too much and often and push them off their boundaries.
It all comes down to writing indeed. Game of Thrones is the perfect example of how different levels of writers can affect the same characters. When they had GRR Martin material as support, show was awesome. Characters were flawed, making mistakes all over the place and getting punished for them. Yet it was easy to get in their shoes and understand their decisions.

When the show surpassed the books all went to hell. Characters were making even more stupid out of nowhere mistakes but now without always getting punished. You could not relate to them anymore. Jon Snow was a walking dumbass with plot armor. I was pissed off with the ending and some people were telling me "do you know they asked Martin how it ends and the same will happen on the books?" So what, I have no doubt Daenerys is going to burn down the city. How it happened is the problem. It's always about the journey, not the destination. Good stories need conflicts and conflicts need to come from believable places.

Sorry for the off topic rant, still not over it. Now, I think Selebus has done a terrific job so far and that's why I love the characters. He's not perfect though and I don't expect him to be. It's all good.

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018
Maya and Ami are roughly the same age, Ami was old enough to understand what happened when her parents died in the accident, and at the time Sensei was still dating Niki and was tutoring her and Noriko + Maya.
So odds are they did know one another in some way.
Though I could be wrong since apparently there's some holes in Maya's backstory according to Ami but I don't remember which ones those were and it could also be Ami gaslighting.
Akira started tutoring after recovering from the depression of the accident, not while dating Niki.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Akira started tutoring after recovering from the depression of the accident, not while dating Niki.
I went to reply with the same earlier but i actually got stuck wondering if that's true... i can't remember any specifics as to when he started tutoring, wasn't he 23 when the accident happened? Unless he went to college/university for 5 years there'd be room to pick up tutoring as a side gig, heck, even whilst studying most students get part time jobs... i vaguely recall mention of him starting to tutor in the old district after the accident, but it's that little niggly bit about 'did he ever tutor before that?' that i can't pin down.

Still, 99.9% sure he didn't meet and start tutoring Maya until after the accident so it's kind of a moot point.

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018
I went to reply with the same earlier but i actually got stuck wondering if that's true... i can't remember any specifics as to when he started tutoring, wasn't he 23 when the accident happened? Unless he went to college/university for 5 years there'd be room to pick up tutoring as a side gig, heck, even whilst studying most students get part time jobs... i vaguely recall mention of him starting to tutor in the old district after the accident, but it's that little niggly bit about 'did he ever tutor before that?' that i can't pin down.

Still, 99.9% sure he didn't meet and start tutoring Maya until after the accident so it's kind of a moot point.
He tutored Niki while he was dating her, but only started tutoring as a "real job" after the accident. And seens he was pretty good cause he rented a place and even probably paid for college/university. Course he could have schoolarship too since smrt.

• Thinking Face

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Has always been wondering why Sekai’s attitude towards Maya is like this. Though it mostly happens in happy scenes, her distaste seems warranted enough to mean something. But what’s the cause?

I suppose the obvious reason would be Maya being a dent to this world built for Akira, a dent that perceives the cycle and perhaps at some point tries to break him out of it. But even this feels like talking out of my ass level with the amount of conjectures.
(Like trying to figure out why this most enigmatic girl hates the other most enigmatic girl is literally breaking my brain)
My couple theories are:
  1. Sekai feels like Maya is the only other person who has taken Sensei's heart like she could. Maya also seems to have tried erasing her presence from Sensei, much like she did with the Nakayama's (as much as she could with her daughter being around). That picture that showed up in the Scary Room could have been one of Sekai that Maya tried to get Sensei to get rid of. Maya doesn't seem to even like Sensei visiting her grave, and may have been the one to convince him to forget Sekai in the first place.
  2. Maya could have used to think of herself as Ami's guardian. Possibly even a secret substitute mother. This could be why she loves Ami so much, and why they are so close. Her dating Sensei may have made her think of herself as Ami's aunt as well. Sekai could simply hate the idea of Maya not only trying to replace her as the one Sensei loves, but also as the one Ami loves.
  3. Maya might be the one responsible for the way things are, which has trapped and tormented Ami and Sensei, perhaps the only two people Sekai has ever loved. Maya may have even pushed Sensei to suicide at some point, which Sekai might blame her for.
  4. Etc.
Overall: It's definitely the most interesting rivalry in the game.

Sekai definitely seems to hate Maya, and considering how Maya seems to feel about Sensei's past, I would be surprised if she didn't hate Sekai for what she's done to Sensei.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020

He was tutoring both Niki and Noriko prior to the accident.

Per Noriko's story, Maya didn't show up until AFTER Noriko had started being tutored by him the second time (after the accident).

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019

Personally, I don't think that conversation would have changed much. Ami has kind of decided that she doesn't just need Sensei to always need her, but that they will one day have kids, etc.

It's not as bad on the "Bad Uncle" route, but "Good Uncle" Ami, is well, by her own words:

Now, I could see the conversation having some effect on BU Ami, since she's not absolutely against sharing Sensei:
There can be a future where everything turns out decently okay. But as long as Sensei isn't fucking her, I don't think GU Ami can be satisfied. She seems to need him to need her in every way.

Ami and Sensei (and most characters in this game, tbh), are beyond talking to in most circumstances. They are either too broken or depraved for words to reach them most of the time. I mean Makoto and Futaba tried to talk to Sensei about him cheating on them, (just to understand why), but he then immediately tried to make them blame themselves for it instead of him. He's a manipulator, and like Ami, he'll rewrite reality to suit whatever fits him within his mind, and he's smart enough to make others think the same. It helps that he's actually intelligent, and that he's usually manipulating children of course.

Overall: I don't think this game suffers from the infuriatingly, annoyingly, and suddenly dense characters that others tend to have. Most of the characters are just designed to be people that don't or can't talk things out under most circumstances. They can grow to the point that they do and can though. Even Sensei himself has begun opening up:
There's also how Sana has told Sensei about her dead brother, Haruka has given into her honest depravity, and Yumi's becoming an actually decent human being as of late, and not only talking to her mom, but some of her classmates, etc.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes