DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
So the last reset is probably my favorite handful of events, certainly my favorite of the weirder side of this game, and because of that I can't stop thinking about paper city. What actually is up with that one?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Personally, until explained, I think it's likely that most of the Reset stuff is simply in Sensei's head.

Last edited:

Squalicorax

Jun 1, 2023
Personally, until explained, I think it's likely that most of the Reset stuff is simply in Sensei's head.
I think that's a totally rational reading of things, but with all due respect, I find it boring as hell lol. It's the same camp as "it was all a dream/coma/dying hallucination" in my opinion. I think the whole point is to get you to think these delusions are just in contained in Akira's head and then have that ripped out from under you like with Sana and Yasu's interactions. Sana's delusions aren't that different from Akira's from what we've seen, other than the fact she stays herself during them, and Yasu more or less confirms they're on some level real since she knows about her brother following her around. Not to mention sekai has shown herself to be able to interact with the material world at least once, without sensei there to witness it.

The game is rather upfront about the importance of perception and the fact nothing is real. I think these are on some level delusions, but Kumon-mi is such a fucked up place that reality is a little runny at the seams and the individual perceptions of these mentally unwell people are colliding with some supernatural force.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person. Going through and saying "this is supernatural, but this other thing is just a delusion or a hallucination" is a little silly to me.

So I think your readings of what these events represent for Akira's psychology are actually salient and I think you might be onto something there, I just disagree it's entirely in his head and that the weirdness of his blackouts isn't real at all.

Last edited:

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
I think that's a totally rational reading of things, but with all due respect, I find it boring as hell lol. It's the same camp as "it was all a dream/coma/dying hallucination" in my opinion. I think the whole point is to get you to think these delusions are just in contained in Akira's head and then have that ripped out from under you like with Sana and Yasu's interactions. Sana's delusions aren't that different from Akira's from what we've seen, other than the fact she stays herself during them, and Yasu more or less confirms they're on some level real since she knows about her brother following her around. Not to mention sekai has shown herself to be able to interact with the material world at least once, without sensei there to witness it.

The game is rather upfront about the importance of perception and the fact nothing is real. I think these are on some level delusions, but Kumon-mi is such a fucked up place that reality is a little runny at the seams and the individual perceptions of these mentally unwell people are colliding with some supernatural force.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person. Going through and saying "this is supernatural, but this other is just a delusion or a hallucination" is a little silly to me.

So I think your readings of what these events represent for Akira's psychology are actually salient and I think you might be onto something there, I just disagree it's entirely in his head and that the weirdness of his blackouts isn't real at all.
Keep in mind, I did say "most of". You've jumped to incorrect conclusions. There's definitely something supernatural going on, but even what Sensei has perceived it to be, likely isn't how things actually are. His thoughts, feelings, and visuals are unreliable at best.

The gods as we've come to know them, may have even been debunked, considering Maya claims Sensei has had hallucinations since they met:

I do think this is probably the most rational way to understand this game: "the individual perceptions of these mentally unwell people are colliding with some supernatural force."

Everyone that has seen or heard things are traumatized and unwell individuals. Sana, Sara, Yasu, Sensei, Ami, etc all have, well, mental issues that probably even run in the family. The god that Yasu sees, probably looks different than the one Sensei thinks of. They've all likely simply rationalized the supernatural stuff they've actually experienced.

The likes of The Shapeshifter, "Sekai", and the Resets themselves, are most likely "real". The USERS seem "real" as well. I don't think Barbara was "real" though. Sorry Barb.

Last edited:

Squalicorax

Jun 1, 2023
There's definitely something supernatural going on, but even what Sensei has perceived it to be, likely isn't how things actually are. His thoughts, feelings, and visuals are unreliable at best.
I think this is what I'm taking issue with. I think that due to the supernatural forces at place, everyone's subjective experience is becoming equally real. In a world defined by perception, what would just be a hallucination in our world is just as real as what Maya is seeing at the same time. I don't think there's a "real" way things actually are below the subjective level, the platonic truth has been cut out from under kumon-mi and now it exists as a reality made of shared experiences.

Setting aside my suspicions about barb and the other weird object people (They're literal pareidolia...) , if she wasn't real on her own, I think to some degree Sensei sort of made her real. Maybe not an independent consciousness but his funky perception made a collection of objects start acting out a character.
Granted, I'll admit I'm kinda swinging wildly for the fences and could be totally off base, but I think that's the most fun way to interpret stories before you know all the details. And hey, I guessed out like 90% the plot of Armored Core 6 (mostly about the true nature of coral and the existence of C-machines and such) and people dismissed my ideas back then, so I've been riding that high ever since.

Speaking of Barbara, this has been bugging me for a while. What is her mouth? Is it just a mouth? When I don't look at it dead on it looks like it might be made of other stuff like her facial features but looking closely it just kinda looks like a mouth.

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018
For me, personally, Paper City doesn't represent him killing the girls, but rather killing his feelings for them.

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
For me, personally, Paper City doesn't represent him killing the girls, but rather killing his feelings for them.
I disagree but I understand a little why you think that way but I still strongly disagree because if that were the case there would have to be all the girls in the game.

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
The likes of The Shapeshifter, "Sekai", and the Resets themselves, are most likely "real". The USERS seem "real" as well. I don't think Barbara was "real" though. Sorry Barb.
I think you guys should agree on definition of "real" before you go futher. Perception stuff could be reduced to "reality is subjective", so common definition (objective things are real) simply does not work.

And, obviously, from some point of view nothing is real

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
I think this is what I'm taking issue with. I think that due to the supernatural forces at place, everyone's subjective experience is becoming equally real. In a world defined by perception, what would just be a hallucination in our world is just as real as what Maya is seeing at the same time. I don't think there's a "real" way things actually are below the subjective level, the platonic truth has been cut out from under kumon-mi and now it exists as a reality made of shared experiences.

Setting aside my suspicions about barb and the other weird object people (They're literal pareidolia...) , if she wasn't real on her own, I think to some degree Sensei sort of made her real. Maybe not an independent consciousness but his funky perception made a collection of objects start acting out a character.
Granted, I'll admit I'm kinda swinging wildly for the fences and could be totally off base, but I think that's the most fun way to interpret stories before you know all the details. And hey, I guessed out like 90% the plot of Armored Core 6 (mostly about the true nature of coral and the existence of C-machines and such) and people dismissed my ideas back then, so I've been riding that high ever since.

Speaking of Barbara, this has been bugging me for a while. What is her mouth? Is it just a mouth? When I don't look at it dead on it looks like it might be made of other stuff like her facial features but looking closely it just kinda looks like a mouth.
I think the main difference between our theories is that you're working off the theory that this world is defined by the perception of others. While I'm working off the theory that the perception of others is defined by this world. The various Mayas, Amis, and well everything, only mean something because we are aware of the characters themselves. The World that Sensei knows, defines his Perception of this World. It doesn't actually change what he's done, how the world works, or why it works that way, but he likes to pretend it does.

It's why we and Sensei apparently didn't hear or see his name, even though Noriko and seemingly others have been calling him Akira this whole time:

It's probably why even Yasu has explained that Sensei only thinks she's doing things:

Basically everything in the 'Mother's Milk' Happy Event is about Perception merely being shown to be Perception, and nothing more.

Even the game doesn't really care about our Perception of things. It'll shut off if we don't do what it wants us to. Choice is merely an illusion, and even the latest update showed that whether you're on the "good uncle" or "bad uncle" route, it doesn't really matter. You are still following the script no matter how you perceive the script.

Overall: I consider everyone's subjective experiences as merely subjective experiences. What's "real" is what can't merely be considered a subjective experience for one person.

For example, the Upside Down House and what's related to it, isn't like Barbara which only Sensei has seen and killed in a Reset. Nodoka has apparently drawn the house, Futaba has found and read a notebook related to those in the house, Otoha has seen it on her TV, Noriko, Kirin, and Niki, have apparently watched those within the house eating. Etc.

Then there's Nao-chan who many people have seen, and even though she seems like she'd be a hallucination, she's apparently "real".

To sum it up, I don't think it's "real" that Sensei is pregnant with Haruka's child:
Even though that was a subjective experience by Sensei and us. Some things are just hallucinations.

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
I think you guys should agree on definition of "real" before you go futher. Perception stuff could be reduced to "reality is subjective", so common definition (objective things are real) simply does not work.

And, obviously, from some point of view nothing is real
Personally, I find the whole "reality is subjective" thing, a tad delusional. At least in an irl sense.

If I actually cut off someone's hand and slap them with it, even if they think they still have their hand and weren't slapped, they still were, and no matter what they think, I can just slap them again. Reality is inherently objective. It means what actually exists. You can perceive the hand as a ham, but it's still your hand or at least what is considered your hand.

Of course, within a fictional universe, things get more complicated. Nodoka actually talked about this a little:
So, within this world, I think what can be assumed to be intended to actually exist within this reality, should be considered "Real". Whatever isn't reasonably shown to actually exist within this reality is likely just a hallucination.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Bingoogus

Dc345

May 27, 2020
Since were not getting anymore previews for the start of Chapter 4 I think the face of Chapter 4 is gonna be Noriko based off of what we've been given.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeSkel15

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
Since were not getting anymore previews for the start of Chapter 4 I think the face is gonna be Noriko based off of what we've been given.
Even though I hate it, I still think Sana will be the girl in Chapter 4. I would still prefer it to be Rin.

Mad Hatter

Nov 17, 2017
So what's the under/over on this chapter being the reveal that Sana is Akira's niece, setting up that most of the class is actually related to Akira through his brother.

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
So what's the under/over on this chapter being the reveal that Sana is Akira's niece, setting up that most of the class is actually related to Akira through his brother.
Wait, are you saying that this will be confirmed in chapter 4 or? Are you saying that this was confirmed in chapter 3??? Because if it was number 3, I'm going to reread this 50 times until I find it.

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Wait, are you saying that this will be confirmed in chapter 4 or? Are you saying that this was confirmed in chapter 3??? Because if it was number 3, I'm going to reread this 50 times until I find it.
They are wondering if anyone thinks that there might be a reveal that the likes of Sana and the other girls are related to Sensei through Nozomu (his bro).

There's a theory about Nozomu basically being a cultist that knocked all the girl's mother's up, and everyone in class is Sensei's Niece.

Although, so far, Nozomu is not even all that relevant beyond fucking his wife who happened to be Sensei's childhood girlfriend, mother figure, sister in law, and human onahole. Nozomu translating to Hope is interesting though.

Personally, I think this chapter will focus more on Maya and her past with Sensei. Possibly, how the resets started.

Although, I could see some Sakakibara lore coming up, especially if this Chapter is Sana's.

Reactions: Yarazin

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
They are wondering if anyone thinks that there might be a reveal that the likes of Sana and the other girls are related to Sensei through Nozomu (his bro).

There's a theory about Nozomu basically being a cultist that knocked all the girl's mother's up, and everyone in class is Sensei's Niece.

Although, so far, Nozomu is not even all that relevant beyond fucking his wife who happened to be Sensei's childhood girlfriend, mother figure, sister in law, and human onahole. Nozomu translating to Hope is interesting though.
I understand, but how did this theory come about?

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
I understand, but how did this theory come about?
A mix of things I think.

Assumption that Nozomu was a teacher like Sekai and Sensei (don't recall that being said), that he cheated on Sekai with Sara, was Sara's boyfriend/teacher, and the fact that HOPE seemed to be implied to be the first god which a Narrator called Nozomu, and it seems like HOPE and Yasu are fucking with Sana in particular. There's also how a HOPE-like creature could be interpretated as having fucked Sana's "whore mother" as it called her, since it claimed to have tasted her fluids, etc.

I think people also conflated "Papa" from the UDH stuff with Nozomu, and there's some "do what Papa says" stuff, that sounds cultish.

Overall: It's a reasonable theory, but there's not really anything that supports it yet, as far as I can tell or remember. Not to say, that the likes of Rin, Sana, and Nodoka won't turn out to be related to Sensei.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes