Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
Sharing a trait is not redundancy when they also have traits the supposed match that supposedly makes them redundant does not have. Ami, Ayane, and Noriko are all possessive to different degrees and they each have different traits that the other two do not possess. It actually isn't a bad thing to have multiple characters share a trait that creates an opening for conflict, especially traits that will make them butt heads like two bucks in mating season such as extreme possessiveness, which is what drives a story toward its climax. There will come a time when either Noriko or Ami snaps and it will all be because they are extremely possessive and the guy they want doesn't want the exclusivity they do. He's going to be found out by one of them and there are going to be MAJOR consequences. Ayane has been calming down on the possessive streak, so I don't think she's a threat at this point for that outcome nor do I think she would snap from discovering she isn't the only girl he's with. At first, yeah, she was a major threat for that, but I've seen signs in the last four or five updates she might be getting used to the possibility of sharing him, likely because of a certain portion of the beach event.

As far as the ending, yes, it has been stated by multiple people, including Selebus, that this is a Denpa game. It doesn't have to be stated that the ending has little chance of being positive, that's inherent in the Denpa genre.

https://f95zone.to/threads/lessons-in-love-v0-15-0-part-1-selebus.48158/page-93#post-4201423

Selebus, post number 1843 on page 93 commented on September 15th, 2020
Well clearly we see it differently, i don't feel having 3 characters that feel essentially the same just to different degrees is necessary and that's all i will say on the topic. As to the ending well, if that is the case i guess i will stop my donation and move on. I see no point in continuing to play a game with no potential ray of optimism and have no desire to just end up disappointed. Guess i will just unsubscribe take my leave of this game if that's the case.

Last edited:

El_Zane_123

Oct 22, 2020
I legit had a nightmare about this game. Not sure what to make of that.
I know that feeling. My solution was simple, I just stopped sleeping =)
Send halp
Well clearly we see it differently, i don't feel having 3 characters that feel essentially the same just to different degrees is necessary and that's all i will say on the topic. As to the ending well, if that is the case i guess i will stop my donation and move on. I see no point in continuing to play a game with no potential ray of optimism and have no desire to just end up disappointed. Guess i will just unsubscribe take my leave of this game if that's the case.
First of all: tots fair and your decision, won't argue about that itself.
But two points still.

First, they are not the "same" characters. People in RL share a ton of character traits yet still are totally different personalities and characters and that is here in this game very sure for the 3 you and Alex argued about. Ami, Ayane and Noriko are extremely different personalities that do have their own subset of characteristics, one of which is their obsession with Sensei but for completely different reasons (though Ami and Ayane share a bit background there. Still, the reasons are different). That does make them very much not the same in my book. Implying they are basically the same is honestly an oversimplification that stems from the sole belief that this has to be the case, not actually paying attention to their dialogues, sorry for my bluntness there.

Second, denpa or not, it doesn't mean there cannot be a somewhat good ending. I am very certain that there will be at least some form of redemption and "happy end" for Maya, but not in a way that is without constraints. That also wouldn't fit the entire concept or story seen so far so there's that. What we know from what Sel has planned is that after the harem and the sad part, there will be purity routes (focusing on single characters mainly) that lead to the actual ending, eventually.
This alone does imply it will not end as your usual denpa either.
Again, I am certain it will not be an "all is good and gravy" ending because it doesn't fit with the entire depth of the story, but it will be a good ending for such a deep and thoughtful story that the game tries to tell.

If that is not enough for you then this is tots fine. But your message kinda gave me the impression that you assume the game will end in tragedy and despair only, and even without knowing any of Sels actual plans, I am certain that won't be the case.
It will only be 90% Tragedy and Despair. Praise Be!

Reactions: alex2011

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
Send halp

But two points still.

First, they are not the "same" characters. People in RL share a ton of character traits yet still are totally different personalities and characters and that is here in this game very sure for the 3 you and Alex argued about. Ami, Ayane and Noriko are extremely different personalities that do have their own subset of characteristics, one of which is their obsession with Sensei but for completely different reasons (though Ami and Ayane share a bit background there. Still, the reasons are different). That does make them very much not the same in my book. Implying they are basically the same is honestly an oversimplification that stems from the sole belief that this has to be the case, not actually paying attention to their dialogues, sorry for my bluntness there.

Second, denpa or not, it doesn't mean there cannot be a somewhat good ending. I am very certain that there will be at least some form of redemption and "happy end" for Maya, but not in a way that is without constraints. That also wouldn't fit the entire concept or story seen so far so there's that. What we know from what Sel has planned is that after the harem and the sad part, there will be purity routes (focusing on single characters mainly) that lead to the actual ending, eventually.
Again, I am certain it will not be an "all is good and gravy" ending because it doesn't fit with the entire depth of the story, but it will be a good ending for such a deep and thoughtful story that the game tries to tell.

If that is not enough for you then this is tots fine. But your message kinda gave me the impression that you assume the game will end in tragedy and despair only, and even without knowing any of Sels actual plans, I am certain that won't be the case.
I Agee that it is an oversimplification and that yes they do have different characteristics. The main point I was getting at is that is that having this many characters with overlapping issues can the game overly complicated and harder to follow for many people. But again this an extremely quibble and honestly mostly personal preference on my part. I am not saying it needs to be changed or at this point just that I personally would have preferred a more streamlined story. If other prefer this there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

As to your remarks on the ending that is actually exactly what I am looking for. I don't need a happy ending where they ride into the sunset or the MC lives happily ever after with his harem. But I want to be some kind optimism even if it something like the Maya finally learns to live with whatever happened and is able to move on with her life. The reason I was seeing it as only bleakness is cause I stated that several times and Alex stated that no that would not likely happen and that ending would simply be depressing and tragic. I don't mind a tragic ending as long there is some kind of optimism in it whether it be character growth or a potential for a brighter future. Like you said I think that would be more in line with the tone of the game thus far

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
True, but if not blood relatives or if Maya's just Sensei's cousin who got adopted into Sensei's family at an early age, you can bypass the dickhead racist patreon rules.

If you play fenoxo's TiTs, kinda like how Shade-mc sex is alright cause shade is mc's cousin.
Weird how picky they are considering most of their host country bans even incest between cousins and anyone bound as family by marriage, which was their justification for said rules in the first place, the law, as if fake incest content is illegal there in the first place. Sorry to tell you this, Patreon, not really, but incest laws in your host country only apply to real people.

This is probably the only game on here that i play just for the story, i love the weird mindfuck elements to it, the fact that it parodies the harem genre by having a (mostly) amoral MC with girls that (understandably) have issues with him sleeping around, and the lingering feeling of dread lurking around every corner-waiting to scare you silly.

Honestly, you could cut out the sexy stuff entirely and i think most people wouldn't really mind. (Don't do it though, Sana deserves some loving)
"Lessons in Love" and "Harem Hotel" are the only two I play for the story alone with "Lessons in Love" receiving a higher priority on my play list and more attention paid to it while playing. In the case that both somehow release at a close enough interval that I haven't had the time to play one before the other releases, the "Lessons in Love" update automatically gets played before any other game on this site, including "Harem Hotel," so the "Harem Hotel" update would be put on hold until I completed the update for "Lessons in Love." Of course, that is extremely unlikely to happen, but I stand prepared in case it does.

They aren't the same, Ami is a girl who lost her family down to one person who she now sees as her only source of comfort and love taken to an extreme in her grief, Noriko is just a psycho, seriously the most deranged character in the game by far, and Ayane is lonely due to how her own family is, way too preoccupied with their business for her own good. She literally has to go down to the skullery to talk to the butler for anyone to talk to at all while at home.

As for the ending, there is one and only one potential possibility that I keep forgetting, but the chances that even that ending will be anywhere near positive are slim at best. In the Denpa genre, there is sometimes one last ending to unlock once all the other, honestly really depressing, endings are completed. There is sometimes a true ending locked behind completion of the others that, on EXTREMELY rare occasions, we're talking better chance of getting hit by lightning rare, comes to a more positive end. Not necessarily positive in general, but more positive than what the other endings did.

Send halp

But two points still.

Exatctly, praise be.

I Agee that it is an oversimplification and that yes they do have different characteristics. The main point I was getting at is that is that having this many characters with overlapping issues can the game overly complicated and harder to follow for many people. But again this an extremely quibble and honestly mostly personal preference on my part. I am not saying it needs to be changed or at this point just that I personally would have preferred a more streamlined story. If other prefer this there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

As to your remarks on the ending that is actually exactly what I am.looking. I dont need a happy ending where they ride into the sunset or the MC lives happily ever after with his harem. But I want to be some kind optimism even if it something like the Maya finally learns to live with whatever happened and is able to move on with her life. The reason I was seing it as only bleakness is cause I stated that several times and Alex stated that no that would not likely happen and that ending would simply be depressing and tragic. I dont mind a tragic ending as long there is some kind of optimism in it whether it be character growth or a potential for a brighter future. Like you said I think that would be more in line with the tone.of the game thus far
Yeah, I can say right now with absolute certainty that riding into the sunset with his harem is not going to happen. I cannot say for certain there won't be anything more positive, only that truly positive is less likely than winning the lottery AND getting struck by lightning...twice in the same spot. This genre, Denpa, is well known for several things and that is one of them. If Selebus were to make any of it truly possitive, it just wouldn't fit. It would remain a great game, but it would only be able to achieve an okay level of quality as a Denpa game. However, there is a little bit of wiggle room. This doom and gloom is what the the genre is best known for. I know I mentioned "Doki Doki Literature Club" before, but another game that I used to think was standard horror and turned out to be Denpa is "Higurashi," though that's not as famous for its Denpa aspects, so look at that as an example of where this might head as well.

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
Weird how picky they are considering most of their host country bans even incest between cousins and anyone bound as family by marriage, which was their justification for said rules in the first place, the law, as if fake incest content is illegal there in the first place. Sorry to tell you this, Patreon, not really, but incest laws in your host country only apply to real people.

"Lessons in Love" and "Harem Hotel" are the only two I play for the story alone with "Lessons in Love" receiving a higher priority on my play list and more attention paid to it while playing. In the case that both somehow release at a close enough interval that I haven't had the time to play one before the other releases, the "Lessons in Love" update automatically gets played before any other game on this site, including "Harem Hotel," so the "Harem Hotel" update would be put on hold until I completed the update for "Lessons in Love." Of course, that is extremely unlikely to happen, but I stand prepared in case it does.

They aren't the same, Ami is a girl who lost her family down to one person who she now sees as her only source of comfort and love taken to an extreme in her grief, Noriko is just a psycho, seriously the most deranged character in the game by far, and Ayane is lonely due to how her own family is, way too preoccupied with their business for her own good. She literally has to go down to the skullery to talk to the butler for anyone to talk to at all while at home.

As for the ending, there is one and only one potential possibility that I keep forgetting, but the chances that even that ending will be anywhere near positive are slim at best. In the Denpa genre, there is sometimes one last ending to unlock once all the other, honestly really depressing, endings are completed. There is sometimes a true ending locked behind completion of the others that, on EXTREMELY rare occasions, we're talking better chance of getting hit by lightning rare, comes to a more positive end. Not necessarily positive in general, but more positive than what the other endings did.

Exatctly, praise be.

Yeah, I can say right now with absolute certainty that riding into the sunset with his harem is not going to happen. I cannot say for certain there won't be anything more positive, only that truly positive is less likely than winning the lottery AND getting struck by lightning...twice in the same spot. This genre, Denpa, is well known for several things and that is one of them. If Selebus were to make any of it truly possitive, it just wouldn't fit. It would remain a great game, but it would only be able to achieve an okay level of quality as a Denpa game. However, there is a little bit of wiggle room. This doom and gloom is what the the genre is best known for. I know I mentioned "Doki Doki Literature Club" before, but another game that I used to think was standard horror and turned out to be Denpa is "Higurashi," though that's not as famous for its Denpa aspects, so look at that as an example of where this might head as well.
I never said i expect a happy ending and also agree it would not really fit with the tone of the game. My main issue is that you basically made sound tragedy and despair were the only possibilities. I have not played DDLC but i have read about the overall plot and the ending and would not consider them 100% despair, there was character growth and progress from what i could see, at least without having played the game myself. Granted it is a rough rough to get there it seems, but you do eventually get there.

P.S. Not sure i would consider living with a harem of 20 women a "happy" ending lol

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I never said i expect a happy ending and also agree it would not really fit with the tone of the game. My main issue is that you basically made sound tragedy and despair were the only possibilities. I have not played DDLC but i have read about the overall plot and the ending and would not consider them 100% despair, there was character growth and progress from what i could see, at least without having played the game myself. Granted it is a rough rough to get there it seems, but you do eventually get there.

P.S. Not sure i would consider living with a harem of 20 women a "happy" ending lol
They aren't the only possibilities, just the ones with a significant chance of happening and even a more positive end could still be tragedy and despair, just less of it. A still negative, but not tragic ending has a very slim chance, especially if Noriko finds out about any of player Sensei's sexual escapades with the other girls. Oh boy would she freak if she found out and that could end in a literal slaughter, I mean, she does carry a knife or has at least said something to hint at it and she is that crazy. Not saying it definitely would, but right now, Noriko is the one character who is so deranged that the possibility stands. The chance of a more positive, but still not truly positive end is still there, but the chances are extremely slim.

You're right about "Doki Doki Literature Club," it wasn't total despair, or at least the ending wasn't. The "rough road" is the real despair of the game from what I've heard. There was character growth just as there is in any game, including this one, yes. I have the game on my HDD, have for at least two years now, and still haven't played it myself, either.

As for living with 20+ girls, I would call that paradise, though it might get a little dicey at first if I ever tried to make one of them my favorite girl/wife/whatever you want to call a girl I choose to pay more attention to than the rest.

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
They aren't the only possibilities, just the ones with a significant chance of happening and even a more positive end could still be tragedy and despair, just less of it. A still negative, but not tragic ending has a very slim chance, especially if Noriko finds out about any of player Sensei's sexual escapades with the other girls. Oh boy would she freak if she found out and that could end in a literal slaughter, I mean, she does carry a knife or has at least said something to hint at it and she is that crazy. Not saying it definitely would, but right now, Noriko is the one character who is so deranged that the possibility stands. The chance of a more positive, but still not truly positive end is still there, but the chances are extremely slim.

You're right about "Doki Doki Literature Club," it wasn't total despair, or at least the ending wasn't. The "rough road" is the real despair of the game from what I've heard. There was character growth just as there is in any game, including this one, yes. I have the game on my HDD, have for at least two years now, and still haven't played it myself, either.

As for living with 20+ girls, I would call that paradise, though it might get a little dicey at first if I ever tried to make one of them my favorite girl/wife/whatever you want to call a girl I choose to pay more attention to than the rest.
Honestly i would worry more about Ami than Noriko, Noriko wears her crazy way more openly than Ami. Not saying she aint cause yea she definitely is, but she has shown a willingness to share such as with with Kirin as long feeling aren't involved, where as Ami has been downright hostile to any potential competition.

As to the Harem thing, I am kind of anti-social to begin with so that does not really appeal to me. Plus trying to maintain that many relationships would be way too much work for me, especially with the myriad of issues these girls have. Of course that assuming any of em are even real to begin with.

Reactions: T. James

JMccovery

Mar 7, 2018
What you have to understand is that financial institutions try to stay away from "taboo" or "immoral" things, as there are hundreds if not thousands of 'busybodies' in this country that want nothing more than to eliminate everything that doesn't fit their ideological dogma.

If they found out that any bank/creditor is handling transactions for an organization that allows people to create (and post for consumption) certain kinds of 'illegal' pornographic material (whether it's fictitious or not doesn't matter to them), they will screech, whine and berate any and every politician that said financial institution is "engaging in illegal and immoral activity", "putting children in danger", "giving safe haven to pedophiles", etc.

No one wants to deal with that epic avalanche of bullshit.

The bank I use, which is fairly large in the Southeastern and Midwestern US would actually block using accounts and cards from subscribing to any online adult content provider. You could easily subscribe to Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler with no questions asked, though.

Wanna know how annoying these people are? This is a law in my home state: .

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
What you have to understand is that financial institutions try to stay away from "taboo" or "immoral" things, as there are hundreds if not thousands of 'busybodies' in this country that want nothing more than to eliminate everything that doesn't fit their ideological dogma.

If they found out that any bank/creditor is handling transactions for an organization that allows people to create (and post for consumption) certain kinds of 'illegal' pornographic material (whether it's fictitious or not doesn't matter to them), they will screech, whine and berate any and every politician that said financial institution is "engaging in illegal and immoral activity", "putting children in danger", "giving safe haven to pedophiles", etc.

The bank I use, which is fairly large in the Southeastern and Midwestern US would actually block using accounts and cards from subscribing to any online adult content provider. You could easily subscribe to Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler with no questions asked, though.

Yea the system is so fucked up here in the States (other places as well i am) and i find most abhorrent when dealing with stuff like this where there are no actual living humans being depicted. Apparently we may to make sure the pixels are protected as well /eyeroll. There are a several tags that will give me pause on this site (Rape, Beastiality, BDSM stuff, etc) but there is only 1 i will flat refuse to play the game if i see it and that is censorship.

And that law you linked just screams Bible Belt lol and was likely endorsed by many who have been shown to have actually raped young children. Its sad really

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
Yea the system is so fucked up here in the States (other places as well i am) and i find most abhorrent when dealing with stuff like this where there are no actual living humans being depicted. Apparently we may to make sure the pixels are protected as well /eyeroll. There are a several tags that will give me pause on this site (Rape, Beastiality, BDSM stuff, etc) but there is only 1 i will flat refuse to play the game if i see it and that is censorship.

And that law you linked just screams Bible Belt lol and was likely endorsed by many who have been shown to have actually raped young children. Its sad really
Anime lolis are bad! (Totally sound bank logic /s)

All these porn censorship laws are just racism and discrimination bundled under false justice. But the world's gradually becoming a better place; I bet our grandchildren will live in a sexually liberated era :)

Reactions: jesusjackct

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018

All these porn censorship laws are just racism and discrimination bundled under false justice. But the world's gradually becoming a better place; I bet our grandchildren will live in a sexually liberated era :)
One can certainly hope, I mean i wont have any grandchildren so i dont and wont have kids but i am hoping for for everyone else :cool:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Honestly i would worry more about Ami than Noriko, Noriko wears her crazy way more openly than Ami. Not saying she aint cause yea she definitely is, but she has shown a willingness to share such as with with Kirin as long feeling aren't involved, where as Ami has been downright hostile to any potential competition.

As to the Harem thing, I am kind of anti-social to begin with so that does not really appeal to me. Plus trying to maintain that many relationships would be way too much work for me, especially with the myriad of issues these girls have. Of course that assuming any of em are even real to begin with.
Not really, Ami has shown herself to be unstable, but not to the extent that Noriko has and it happened much faster with Noriko. Noriko being more open about it does give us some warning, especially since only the player seems to realize Ami is unstable and player Sensei does not, but her instability isn't as close to the point of boiling over. Noriko seems like one wrong move is an instant snap. Kirin is literally the only girl where feelings aren't involved, at least supposedly, so Noriko is a much bigger threat because literally the only girl safe from her finding out is Kirin. Anyone else could and probably would start a bloodbath if she found out. Though I do have to admit it would be interesting to see what happens if Ami is caught by her. It's already a compromising situation with it being both an internal family and teacher/student sexual relationship, both very big no nos even in Japan except a select few blood relations and teacher/student is definitely out completely. If a true psycho like Noriko catches them, and yes, feelings are involved in that relationship, there would be total war between those two.

As for the harem, I am very much the opposite. I tend to hide my emotions behind a somewhat emotionless facade, kind of like a kuudere, but I am not antisocial at all. It mainly appeals to me because I really want to make every girl in this particular cast of characters happy, or at least as happy as I can. That's the appeal of the game, its writing pulls the player into an emotional roller coaster and lets go about as well as a true, murder happy yandere, which is to say not at all.

I am well aware of what financial institutions do and they are within their right to do that, however, they do risk the consequences by doing so. Not everyone is just going to take crap like banning content types lying down and even those that do won't take it forever. There is always a breaking point and that point is when the strain of banning too much causes the users to jump ship. It is already happening with Patreon at a trickle, but if they go much further, that trickle will become a mighty flood. The "epic avalanche of bullshit" cannot outweigh the lack of profit coming into the company caused by listening to the "epic avalanche of bullshit" in the first place. There will come a time when it will be financially unfeasible to do so. For Patreon's sake, they better hope they make that realization before all their users jump ship.

As for the bank thing, that's why I use a service that acts as a middleman for my card, that and security. It's basically a PayPal type service. The bank only sees a payment to the service, they would actually have to trace the payment by contacting said service and getting the direct record of where the money went.

Also, someone should look into that law, it is bordering on infringement of the first amendment and, with the right judge and/or justice depending on how far the case goes, it could be overturned as unconstitutional since fiction is protected. I'm not saying it actually is unconstitutional, I'm just saying putting it through the right courts might get results against it.

None of the tags give me pause since no real people are involved, except censorship, kinetic novel, and real porn. I tend to dislike western live action porn and that means pictures as well, but JAV is a different story, especially the underground stuff that somehow escapes getting censored before distribution or the stuff that gets uncensored by a third party. In fact, the tags you listed, rape and bestiality in particular, I tend to enjoy in any form as long as it is acted or otherwise not real.

If they themselves are liberated, that is. The thing is the people who screech about drawings and 3D renders tend to either look the other way or are actively involved when real people are in danger.

I have finished making one Fanart! I drew Ayane (although not sure it looks like Ayane)
That's...that's actually pretty freaking great, well done. I do see a major resemblance to the character, in fact, after pulling up one of her sprite images from my game folder, you nailed her appearance. A LITTLE dark on the eyes, hers are a bit more pale and have a lightening effect as you go down toward the bottom of the iris, or whatever the colored part is called, I forgot, but you were pretty much spot on with your work.

Last edited:

~J&F~

Sep 2, 2020
That's...that's actually pretty freaking great, well done. I do see a major resemblance to the character, in fact, after pulling up one of her sprite images from my game folder, you nailed her appearance. A LITTLE dark on the eyes, hers are a bit more pale and have a lightening effect as you go down toward the bottom of the iris, or whatever the colored part is called, I forgot, but you were pretty much spot on with your work.
Thanks XD, I wasn't sure it looked good before, but seeing your response I got really motivated

• Red Heart

JMccovery

Mar 7, 2018
Also, someone should look into that law, it is bordering on infringement of the first amendment and, with the right judge and/or justice depending on how far the case goes, it could be overturned as unconstitutional since fiction is protected. I'm not saying it actually is unconstitutional, I'm just saying putting it through the right courts might get results against it.
Yeah... That's been tried before:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah... That's been tried before:
Damn, well, if at first you don't succeed. The entire court system and the supreme court in particular have had multiple cases come back repeatedly and some with a different result depending on exactly who hears the case, so they could always try again.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Damn, well, if at first you don't succeed. The entire court system and the supreme court in particular have had multiple cases come back repeatedly and some with a different result depending on exactly who hears the case, so they could always try again.
The current composition of the Supreme Court won't overturn that particular ruling. Short of the court being expanded to add a liberal majority (which has been discussed, but will likely get stymied by a holdout Senator or two), that's not changing for a long time.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes