Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Looking at Molly talking about teaching herself Japanese because of her hobby reminds me of something I heard from one of my Otaku friends. She said that learning Japanese from anime (especially shonin?) meant that when speaking Japanese with a person from Japan, she was still at a great disadvantage. She did not learn all the nuances of Japanese, especially those associated with the forms expected of women. It would help explain some of Molly's acceptance problems if she only talks like an anime character all the time.

Arato23

Apr 19, 2021
I can't believe i got Bad Homie, I will now proceed to replay entire game for this betrayal to never happen.
It's totally believable. Chika's a great girl it's no wonder she attracts 2 people simultaneously, and she's into Sensei so it's bound to happen unless he specifically avoids it.

Reactions: alex2011

Vigeroy

Feb 24, 2021
Even Amy's bowl of rice with salt is not normal imo. A person who cooks on a daily basis like her should know better and make a more fulfilling dish. You make rice by washing the rice and then let the rice cooker do the rest for about 30 minutes until it's ready. What did Amy adds to the rice in such an amount of time? Fucking salt

niconob92

Jul 16, 2017
Looking at Molly talking about teaching herself Japanese because of her hobby reminds me of something I heard from one of my Otaku friends. She said that learning Japanese from anime (especially shonin?) meant that when speaking Japanese with a person from Japan, she was still at a great disadvantage. She did not learn all the nuances of Japanese, especially those associated with the forms expected of women. It would help explain some of Molly's acceptance problems if she only talks like an anime character all the time.
Anime japanse and real japanese are pretty different. They are essentially the same language sure, so you'd understand and probably be understood but you'd be frowned upon to say the least. And about those "forms expected of women", yeah there are several of those such as not being able to use imperative forms, not being able to use certain stuff in casual speech and that. Pretty misogynist, but I believe it's changing for the better over the past decades.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I want to crack a joke now but it would be quite mean to both Americans and Futaba ^^
As an American, I am fine with this. The Futaba thing is still an issue, though.

We were talking about plain white rice, but a bowl of sushi meshi sounds pretty nice right now!

Ultimately, I think the whole point of Ayane offering bowls of plain white rice as a first course was part of showing that her culinary skills leave a lot to be desired. It wasn't supposed to be considered normal.
In that case specifically, I have no doubt it was to show a lack of skill. This isn't the first time a plain bowl of white rice has been used in media for that purpose as anime tends to exaggerate cultural aspects of Japan and has been known to do this as a way to show off a character that has little to no domestic capabilities, especially female love interests and friends of the main character as they tend to be the ones chosen as the main bearer of such skills. So when one lacks those skills, the anime tends to make a running gag out of it for at least one episode if not multiple or even throughout the entire series.

I don't know why, probably because Ayane is portrayed as a rich girl who doesn't normally have to lift a finger to make food because Geoffrey is there, but her lack of skill actually makes some sense. It's not like she has ever mentioned going out of her way to make herself something. She goes to the scullery to talk to Geoffrey sometimes, but that is the extent we know of that she consciously goes somewhere or does something she doesn't have to within the confines of her own home.

She's correct, the Japanese we hear in the raw audio of anime and the Japanese spoken in real life are not the same thing. A lot of it is exaggerated in anime, as is almost everything, and their dialogue doesn't take into account slang used today or the many different ways to word things, anime focuses on just one or two ways and you won't hear much slang unless it is being used by a character that is of a stereotypical type that speaks in slang terms. Japanese slang is A LOT more common than just select stereotypical groups, I learned this much from an actual Japanese YouTuber who is an English bilingual speaker of both languages and a very good one at that.

As far as the forms of words more often spoken by women, Watashi for I for example, that is somewhat true, but it is WAY exaggerated to the point where only the most effeminate males in anime will speak it, this is actually more common among males than anime lets on, especially under certain contexts. Watashi IS the feminine conjugation of the word for I, but it is not exclusive to females. It all depends on context, especially the amount of respect warranted in a certain context.

Anime japanse and real japanese are pretty different. They are essentially the same language sure, so you'd understand and probably be understood but you'd be frowned upon to say the least. And about those "forms expected of women", yeah there are several of those such as not being able to use imperative forms, not being able to use certain stuff in casual speech and that. Pretty misogynist, but I believe it's changing for the better over the past decades.
You would understand from a vocabulary standpoint as those are identical unless the anime is using terms that have died out. However, yeah, if you use anime Japanese, prepare to get some odd looks or possibly get laughed at behind your back depending on the person who hears you. As for the forms associated with women specifically, it's definitely been changing as you hear it more often from males than in the past. That YouTuber I mentioned does occasional on the streets interviews in Japanese and the occasional male Watashi comes out, though not as often as Boku. I do still have yet to hear Ore used at all outside of anime as, from what I understand, it is an extremely informal form of the word and shouldn't be used outside the most informal circumstances where the level of respect warranted is low at best, which these interviews are not.

Reactions: Dragon59

cckerberos

Jun 12, 2017
It's about as common to hear a male in Japan use 'ore' as it is to hear a male in the US use the word 'fuck'.

ETA: It's a pretty good comparison, now that I think about it. Any environment where an American male would feel okay using 'fuck', their Japanese counterpart would feel okay using 'ore'.

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
It's about as common to hear a male in Japan use 'ore' as it is to hear a male in the US use the word 'fuck'.

ETA: It's a pretty good comparison, now that I think about it. Any environment where an American male would feel okay using 'fuck', their Japanese counterpart would feel okay using 'ore'.
Which is actually not all that common. A stubbed toe will bring that out almost guaranteed, but normally it is only some who use it anywhere outside of private circumstances. I have yet to hear it used regularly in public conversation, even from younger generations, who seem a lot more willing to use such language at any point.

cckerberos

Jun 12, 2017
I don't know how you're defining "private circumstances," but you will hear it used in pretty much any informal situation. It's an extraordinarily common word (and the word I personally use 90% of the time). If I don't have a reason to *not* use it, I will.

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I don't know how you're defining "private circumstances," but you will hear it used in pretty much any informal situation. It's an extraordinarily common word (and the word I personally use 90% of the time). If I don't have a reason to *not* use it, I will.
Basically at home, MAYBE with friends in another non-public setting. I have heard it, but it isn't like it's an everyday use word and I definitely haven't heard it in public except in circumstances that warrant such a response, such as injury or panic. It's really just down to my own experience so far, I'm sure there are people who do it regularly.

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
To be honest, my Otaku friend mentioned this to me more than 20 years ago.
In that case specifically, I have no doubt it was to show a lack of skill. This isn't the first time a plain bowl of white rice has been used in media for that purpose as anime tends to exaggerate cultural aspects of Japan and has been known to do this as a way to show off a character that has little to no domestic capabilities, especially female love interests and friends of the main character as they tend to be the ones chosen as the main bearer of such skills. So when one lacks those skills, the anime tends to make a running gag out of it for at least one episode if not multiple or even throughout the entire series.
Thanks for that clarification.
I don't know why, probably because Ayane is portrayed as a rich girl who doesn't normally have to lift a finger to make food because Geoffrey is there, but her lack of skill actually makes some sense. It's not like she has ever mentioned going out of her way to make herself something. She goes to the scullery to talk to Geoffrey sometimes, but that is the extent we know of that she consciously goes somewhere or does something she doesn't have to within the confines of her own home.
The reaction of the three judges says a lot. And she's so proud of being able to make rice, blessherheart.
She's correct, the Japanese we hear in the raw audio of anime and the Japanese spoken in real life are not the same thing. A lot of it is exaggerated in anime, as is almost everything, and their dialogue doesn't take into account slang used today or the many different ways to word things, anime focuses on just one or two ways and you won't hear much slang unless it is being used by a character that is of a stereotypical type that speaks in slang terms. Japanese slang is A LOT more common than just select stereotypical groups, I learned this much from an actual Japanese YouTuber who is an English bilingual speaker of both languages and a very good one at that.

As far as the forms of words more often spoken by women, Watashi for I for example, that is somewhat true, but it is WAY exaggerated to the point where only the most effeminate males in anime will speak it, this is actually more common among males than anime lets on, especially under certain contexts. Watashi IS the feminine conjugation of the word for I, but it is not exclusive to females. It all depends on context, especially the amount of respect warranted in a certain context.

You would understand from a vocabulary standpoint as those are identical unless the anime is using terms that have died out. However, yeah, if you use anime Japanese, prepare to get some odd looks or possibly get laughed at behind your back depending on the person who hears you. As for the forms associated with women specifically, it's definitely been changing as you hear it more often from males than in the past. That YouTuber I mentioned does occasional on the streets interviews in Japanese and the occasional male Watashi comes out, though not as often as Boku. I do still have yet to hear Ore used at all outside of anime as, from what I understand, it is an extremely informal form of the word and shouldn't be used outside the most informal circumstances where the level of respect warranted is low at best, which these interviews are not.
Thank you for that added perspective.

Last edited:

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
Basically at home, MAYBE with friends in another non-public setting. I have heard it, but it isn't like it's an everyday use word and I definitely haven't heard it in public except in circumstances that warrant such a response, such as injury or panic. It's really just down to my own experience so far, I'm sure there are people who do it regularly.
You would be horrified by my office, we swear like troopers.

"The fucking insurers are taking the fucking piss, again. Can't those bellends act like bloody humans for once in their fucking lives. Corporate fucking goons." - me, to the director probably

Reactions: rbs305

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You would be horrified by my office, we swear like troopers.

"The fucking insurers are taking the fucking piss, again. Can't those bellends act like bloody humans for once in their fucking lives. Corporate fucking goons." - me, to the director probably
Had no idea bellend was considered a curse word, though that one I almost never hear at all, granted it may not be used in my dialect of English.

You also wouldn't believe how often I used to do it, though your office story might say otherwise. I would have made a sailor blush back in about 2011 to 2014, I basically forced myself to not do it before I becme of legal age in my country for most things, then it was like a flood of pent up cursing for several years. I've moved away from using that kind of language, not in opposition, but just because I didn't really find it useful for anything normal.

EDIT: I was right, bellend is a different dialect of English than my own.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
There is "Romance" twice in the tags.
I feel the importance. :unsure:
Hm.. should i give this a shot?
Does the game have any time limits anywhere? I hate those.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
The only time limit, if you can call it that, is that some events do get locked if you proceed beyond a certain point for continuity reasons, it just wouldn't make sense to be able to do the locked events after that point. There is no game over for taking too long and you can take as many days as you want. My save is in the multiple hundreds of days with everything completed.

Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

chu4ng

Sep 7, 2019
Definetly yes.
Some cool quote about that game:
- i'm only 3 minutes in and i'm scared
multiple hundreds of days
Looks like you're a big fan.
Actually, that's not. Game script require as least 350 days.
My first walkthought take about 600 days(because I'm a retard).

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

El_Zane_123

Oct 22, 2020
Also, I gotta say, for someone tots not being into "big" girls at all (I like petite a very lot), Futaba is actually great.
I was tots uninterested in her for a long time but she managed with her sweetness and her character writing for me to care for her just like the rest, and I hate how Sensei treats her.

But then again, this is true for a whole bunch of the girls (except for Kirin. Screw Kirin, literally and figuratively.)

niconob92

Jul 16, 2017
I hate how Sensei treats her.
I do hope that, somewhere along the line, he eventually gets some sort of redemption arc. I love the game, I love the girls' stories but I kinda don't like playing as a piece of shit. I believe that among all his mental instability there is still some good and eventually you can fix your mistakes or something like that.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes