barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Anyone who complains about Selebus not providing content is an idiot. Doubly so if they complain on a pirate site (although that last part is true across all developers - if you're getting the game here, even one update every five years would be getting your money's worth).
On most of the pages I follow, a delay by even a day gets some freerider complaining about how "the dev is just milking patrons."

On this page, we've replaced those comments with a neverending discussion on the ethics of piracy. Genuinely not sure which is better (I hate them both).

• Haha
Reactions: Bingoogus

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Plot twist: The next update is where the game goes from Muv Luv to Muv Luv:Alternative. Aliens invade and suddenly the game switches to a top down turn based strategy game.
:oops: Oh no, at least it isn't real time strategy with the AI set on hard. :p

as long as it isn't an RTS I am fine with this.
I can deal with RTS, that was my favorite game type before the Halo series came out in 2001, but not when the AI is insanely aggressive.

That’s probably over-analysing.
At most; it’s likely to be a combination of things we know or expect, from the re-write having some implications on content release, to the possibility of people taking offence at drawings without clothing labelled "Chinami" and “Tsukasa”. And there’s been already some scheduling upset due to the HuggyBoy incident, which is likely to have at least a small set of ongoing repercussions with mantaining multiple storylines and image sets.

A lot of refund requests is pretty much the norm, as people these days are essentially stupid.
I mean; if you purchase something (eg. gamepass, milk), and use any portion of it; refund is going to be at the seller’s discretion unless there’s a fundamental issue (green milk).
Again, I can see this. I really only mentioned the huggy boy incident, but there are a lot of things that go against what some patrons may be comfortable supporting. I am not one of those patrons, I am fine with whatever Selebus does, but that first group is clearly not. Honestly, these really are just images of fictional characters, so even with the obvious, I still don't get the issue here. I get the scheduling issues, except huggy boy, that was Patreon's fault, but seriously, Chinami and Tsukasa are fake.

Selebus has said that he intends to release small standalone sidestories during the rework hiatus (like Molly's Bad Day back in December, except canonical to the story), so patrons aren't entirely wasting their money.

That said, given that this madman is releasing a 50k word update in three weeks when other adult VNs take four months to deliver a piddling 10k words of new content, I feel the value proposition for LiL is wildly in the consumer's favor, so I'd be content either way.
Another announcement I missed by not paying close enough attention. :FacePalm: Seriously though, what he's releasing is basically entire projects on my end. I've never gone to the extent Selebus has in the word count.

Nice, I've been waiting for some overly dramatic plot development that doesn't rectify itself or softens the blow in the next update. I feel like Sel been pulling some of the punchies. Hopefully, not anymore.

He would care. I think we might see the reverse dynamic in their relationship after Maya's hypothetical reset: she would no longer be immune to Sensei's "charms", but Sensei would no longer be interested in her "normal" self. He might also try to revert her back which would also cause a discord between them.
I don't think he has, what I think is happening is that the plotjust now went this route. Basically the plot was protecting them and now the plot armor is being confiscated. Just the way things were meant to flow, in other words.

I don't think we'll be seeing a more caring Sensei, Maya was what kept him in check through the resets so that he didn't go completely out of control in my view, so without her, he has nothing to limit how far he goes. Couple this with the hints that we are getting closer to the dark route of the game and that's a recipe for Sensei induced disaster.

In December, when the whole kerfluffle with Patreon went down, he released the announcement in story form, by way of Molly finding out her favorite VN was getting censored. It's all of 3 minutes, and is more an explanation of what's happening than anything else.
Oh, interesting, I missed this and will have to wait for the content release during the rework. This sounds a lot like Selebus taking more shots at Patreon, which is understandable and hilarious, at the expense of Patreon, in the aftermath.

The same reason why I really respect Selebus, A diligent guy who keep his words and doesn't leave his fans hanging like certain devs I know who just milks money out of the people who trusted them
On most of the pages I follow, a delay by even a day gets some freerider complaining about how "the dev is just milking patrons."

On this page, we've replaced those comments with a neverending discussion on the ethics of piracy. Genuinely not sure which is better (I hate them both).
Yep, I already know a few of those and they are the worst of the worst. Those types are part of why patrons don't like to wait and some automatically assume milking if a release goes past its original date. As for the ethics discussions, I only do it for Selebus, no other developer has earned that much from me. I only do it because this game actually deserves support, not to say that other games don't, but there are some ridiculously bad developers out there that actually deserve to be pirated from due to generally disliked decisions they made and then defend to this day.

Last edited:

hcguy

Aug 29, 2019
As for the ethics discussions, I only do it for Selebus, no other developer has earned that much from me. I only do it because this game actually deserves support
Agreed that Selebus deserves support - also, why steal something that you can get for free in two weeks anyways?

Reactions: alex2011

forbiddentwo

Jun 20, 2017
In December, when the whole kerfluffle with Patreon went down, he released the announcement in story form, by way of Molly finding out her favorite VN was getting censored. It's all of 3 minutes, and is more an explanation of what's happening than anything else.
So was it an update on Patreon, or what? Is it still viewable?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
He has numbers that say otherwise on the less sales part, in this case sales being entire monthly subscriptions and not one time payments, which is worse. It does help people test out a product, but that benefit to the pirate still hurts the developer unless the testing results in subscribing.

Your last point, definitely, always make sure to encourage actually supporting the developer.

Funny thing about that, it isn't stealing from Illusion when the studio program that comes with the game is made for making still renders and animations specifically for the purpose of making more games, thus getting more people to use the Illusion studio products. Not to mention Illusion could and would have started shutting projects like this down a decade ago, okay almost a decade, had they actually not meant them to exist.

So was it an update on Patreon, or what? Is it still viewable?
If I'm getting any of the context correct here, it is entirely possible I'm not, it was viewable back then as text and will later be viewable as a side project meant to keep us occupied while the rework is completed. I missed this announcement, so I don't know all the details Selebus released about his plans over the course of the rework to prevent a complete content drought.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
new update was supposed to come out today, right? I didn't happen to get it... would be nice if the gamepass subscribers got information updates emailed out, like SS/patreon posts

edit: nvm, just checked SS and saw this "
The next update goes live on 3/19/22 at 10:00 PM CST.
"

i'm used to AM updates

Reactions: forbiddentwo

forbiddentwo

Jun 20, 2017
new update was supposed to come out today, right? I didn't happen to get it... would be nice if the gamepass subscribers got information updates emailed out, like SS/patreon posts

edit: nvm, just checked SS and saw this "
The next update goes live on 3/19/22 at 10:00 PM CST.
"

i'm used to AM updates
Incidentally, I remember reading that he still uses patreon because some people might prefer using that, but has he expressed a preference? Like, does one option skim more money off the top than the other, or is one more convenient than the other for him, or something?

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Incidentally, I remember reading that he still uses patreon because some people might prefer using that, but has he expressed a preference? Like, does one option skim more money off the top than the other, or is one more convenient than the other for him, or something?
Even before the Patreon mess, he'd indicated that he preferred Subscribestar, and that's a sentiment I've seen shared by many creators. Not just because it doesn't restrict content the way Patreon does, but it's also a more user-friendly experience for creators.

But Patreon offers a better user experience for subscribers and has a better range of payment options, so there's still value in maintaining one.

And as a point of reference, his Patreon's only lost about %25 of it's income since Patreon made him bleach the game, which means that his encouragement for people to go gamepass or Subscribestar hasn't really changed as many minds as he'd probably hoped.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Even before the Patreon mess, he'd indicated that he preferred Subscribestar, and that's a sentiment I've seen shared by many creators. Not just because it doesn't restrict content the way Patreon does, but it's also a more user-friendly experience for creators.

But Patreon offers a better user experience for subscribers and has a better range of payment options, so there's still value in maintaining one.

And as a point of reference, his Patreon's only lost about %25 of it's income since Patreon made him bleach the game, which means that his encouragement for people to go gamepass or Subscribestar hasn't really changed as many minds as he'd probably hoped.
I thought Patreon was the creator friendly one as far as ease of use and SubscribeStar was the user friendly one, might have gotten them mixed, it happens. Also 25%?! :oops: I knew the game would lose some, but wow, the huggy boy incident really hit him hard. That really puts into perspective what creators that get hit by "Patreon Trust and Safety" go through. This is why I will never use them.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
I thought Patreon was the creator friendly one as far as ease of use and SubscribeStar was the user friendly one, might have gotten them mixed, it happens. Also 25%?! :oops: I knew the game would lose some, but wow, the huggy boy incident really hit him hard. That really puts into perspective what creators that get hit by "Patreon Trust and Safety" go through. This is why I will never use them.
I feel I should clarify -- I am not saying he lost %25 of his supporters. Only that his income from Patreon fell by %25 since Patreon raised their stink about the game. Presumably, most of that simply moved over to Gamepass or Subscribestar.

I point that out because despite how much of a PITA it's been for both him (has to create two version of the game) and the consumer (who has to download two files to update the game through Patreon vs one download for Subscribestar), only %25 made that move.

25thKnight

May 20, 2020
I feel I should clarify -- I am not saying he lost %25 of his supporters. Only that his income from Patreon fell by %25 since Patreon raised their stink about the game. Presumably, most of that simply moved over to Gamepass or Subscribestar.
Yeah Sel's income was over 12,000 dollars before the patreon issue and after that patreon issue was resolved and that's where the huggyboy version came out, it fell to 7k real quick but I think the subscribers just switched to subscribestar since the subscribestar has the thing they've been paying for.

Last edited:

Jimbolance

Nov 19, 2018
Random question but does anyone remember what Sensei's "slightly thicker" shirt is made of? Like what kind of material? I very vaguely remember him mentioning it.

forbiddentwo

Jun 20, 2017
Random question but does anyone remember what Sensei's "slightly thicker" shirt is made of? Like what kind of material? I very vaguely remember him mentioning it.
I looked at 'Stray Cat' and 'Hotel Room' and based on my skimming they don't say it there.

So I'll just guess and say 'cotton'. Without checking all the dialogue yourself you can't know for sure if I'm lying or not!

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes