moodle

Nov 26, 2016
But now onto the bigggest problem, the waiting game. Do we know how many more updates there might be until the complete product? That and if the updates are regular or not? Cause, holy shit, the cliffhanger of this update is horrible.
The updates are regular; generally we get either 1 update per month (for a big update like the dorm wars or beach) or 2 per month (for smaller ones). Right now he's on a vacation, but he's resuming work on the game in February to release .29 in mid-March, which will be the last big update for a while; he says he's going back to 2 small ones/month for a while after .29.

Personally, I'm betting that .29 has the fifth reset. Y'all ready for Life of Prizes 2: Eat Even More Fucking Rice?

Reactions: SpardaUser

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
When Chapter 3 came out the developer said that the game was less than 20% done. Also, the game will be divided into three parts: the harem route, the dark route, and finally the endings. Presumably by the end of the harem route there will have romanced all the girls and look how many are left to go. Also, updates typically take two or three weeks and chain updates usually take a month or so.
Less than 20%? If the release date at the home page is correct and the updates have always been this regular, then we're possibly looking at multiple years (plus an enormous VN) before we get to the end of the game. That's kinda rough. If that's the case, I'm at least hoping that maybe we'll be having the focus on each route seperately rather than all at the same time so we can at least get the story further forward faster. If the dev is simultaneously working on both routes and is planning on finishing them at around the same time, we'll be waiting for a looooong time.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Less than 20%? If the release date at the home page is correct and the updates have always been this regular, then we're possibly looking at multiple years (plus an enormous VN) before we get to the end of the game. That's kinda rough. If that's the case, I'm at least hoping that maybe we'll be having the focus on each route seperately rather than all at the same time so we can at least get the story further forward faster. If the dev is simultaneously working on both routes and is planning on finishing them at around the same time, we'll be waiting for a looooong time.
There are no parallel routes in the game at this time, at least not in the context you're thinking. There are certain flags that are affecting dialogue, but they're all going to wind up at the same place as the game progresses, it's just different ways of getting to that point. "Good/bad homie" is already starting to become less important as Rin has started to forgive him for his action, and the "Good/bad uncle" flag will likely just determine when or how the game actually shifts into the next stage.

At the moment, we're in the "harem route" which would be more accurately called the "harem phase". Note, it's called the harem route, but the developer has been very clear that it isn't a true harem. Most of the girls won't be cool with it, and given what we've seen in-game so far, when certain girls find out what's going on heads will roll. Possibly literally.

The harem phase will transition into the "dark route." Again, it's more accurate to call it the dark phase. What he means by dark is a bit unclear, but based on Ami's rants, I'm suspecting it to be a bloodbath where death is only temporary due to resets.

The dark phase will transition into "purity routes." This is the only time there will be parallel routes, but they will be developed one at a time. This is where you choose one girl and play a single-girl route through to that character's ending, and then get sent back to the choice point to repeat the process with another girl. Once each girl's purity route has been completed, the true ending will be unlocked (and he's announced it will NOT be a harem ending).

We are looking at 5-6 more years of development until completion, most likely. The dev is very specifically setting out to make an absurdly long VN, and has been bragging about it for nearly two years.

josemaloco

Sep 26, 2020
The command "end_replay" is needed for all events. even if there is nothing to skip. It's just how renpy is made
Yeah but he has to look at each single one to see which one is the normal one and which one has extra text after it, hence the >99%

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
On the plus side, Sel's been making this game for not quite three years and already has way more content than games that have been around for a lot longer, so I believe in his ability to actually follow through on his insane ambitions.
so what's on the january package?
Bluejay scene commentary, info sheet about Maki, some reference pics for Io, scene with loli Maya in her shrine maiden outfit, picture message from adult Uta. It's great.

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
On the plus side, Sel's been making this game for not quite three years and already has way more content than games that have been around for a lot longer, so I believe in his ability to actually follow through on his insane ambitions.
If there's passion for the project, I'm sure everything will go perfectly fine. My comment wasn't really meant to imply that I'm doubting whether the dev can deliver, it's more so me being a little "upset" (for the lack of a better word) that it'll possibly take half a decade to see the end to this story.

Now, of course, the wait could be totally worth it and we could end up with a god tier VN in our hands, or this could be a massive waste of time that could've been over way faster and ended up better. Only time will tell which it'll be.

Reactions: crustlord12

Vidaura

Jan 30, 2020

Bluejay scene commentary, info sheet about Maki, some reference pics for Io, scene with loli Maya in her shrine maiden outfit, picture message from adult Uta. It's great.
More importantly, it doesn't seem like there'll be much feature creep, which is what derails a lot of these projects (gimmicky minigames, trying to patch free-roam into a mostly linear game halfway through, overflowing cast, etc). Sel has a clear idea of what he wants the game to be and is chugging along on it, and has never given us reason to believe he won't finish.

The care package was great. The Uta messages make me sad this game won't have a true harem ending full of sexy-but-wholesome interactions between such good characters. On the other hand, I almost didn't want to watch the scene commentary for Bluejay...that one was a real nasty shock the first time around.

AgumenticR

Sep 6, 2018
This is uhhh exactly what happened though
Eh, one cast expansion two years ago is not what I would call a feature creep, on the account of the lack of creep. It becomes a real problem when new characters just keep appearing one update after another, because it indicates the lack of an overall plan and the author just repeating the beginnings of character arcs instead of developing them further and/or moving the plot. Just expanding the scope of the game has its own difficulties, but at least the game can still be on rails to completion.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Eh, one cast expansion two years ago is not what I would call a feature creep, on the account of the lack of creep. It becomes a real problem when new characters just keep appearing one update after another, because it indicates the lack of an overall plan and the author just repeating the beginnings of character arcs instead of developing them further and/or moving the plot. Just expanding the scope of the game has its own difficulties, but at least the game can still be on rails to completion.
all of those characters did not just appear all at once, they were dripped in over several updates. this also resulted in longer periods of time where characters got ignored for awhile, and in some cases ignored at rather pivotal situations that made no sense to get ignored over. The cast expansion wasn't badly done though, but it definitely had these issues popping up time to time.
as for feature creep that is actually considered bad in this game by a lot players. it does have some gimmicky 'minigames' add in features like 'care packages' and its starting to get a bit... much. anymore than this and i think it would cross the tipping point.
i wonder if sel ever considered just calling the 'care packages' what they are as loot boxes and attach a random number generator to it so you have no clue what feature you get in the box when people purchase it, you know go full EA games on it

Last edited:

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
i wonder if sel ever considered just calling the 'care packages' what they are as loot boxes and attach a random number generator to it so you have no clue what feature you get in the box when people purchase it, you know go full EA games on it
I mean, the point of the care packages was to encourage people to actually subscribe and get cool bonuses instead of pirating the subscriber edition, and it seems to have worked because the care packages get removed by the mods when they get leaked.

Really, folks here have only themselves to blame if they dislike care packages. If y'all just waited for the subscriber edition to be released for free after two weeks, the care packages would never have been made; Sel was dealing with several months in a row of the update being leaked within the first day and losing subs as a result. That's why he started doing it: to reverse the decline in subscribers. And it worked!

(I've been subbed nonstop for a year and a half, so the care packages are more of a cool bonus for what I would be doing anyway. That said, I think I'd prefer the world in which Selebus used the time he spent on the care packages on the game itself, or just on relaxing so that he doesn't burn out after big updates like he's dealing with right now.)

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
I mean, the point of the care packages was to encourage people to actually subscribe and get cool bonuses instead of pirating the subscriber edition, and it seems to have worked because the care packages get removed by the mods when they get leaked.

Really, folks here have only themselves to blame if they dislike care packages. If y'all just waited for the subscriber edition to be released for free after two weeks, the care packages would never have been made; Sel was dealing with several months in a row of the update being leaked within the first day and losing subs as a result. That's why he started doing it: to reverse the decline in subscribers. And it worked!

(I've been subbed nonstop for a year and a half, so the care packages are more of a cool bonus for what I would be doing anyway. That said, I think I'd prefer the world in which Selebus used the time he spent on the care packages on the game itself, or just on relaxing so that he doesn't burn out after big updates like he's dealing with right now.)
ok, but that wasn't my point at all. guy makes 6 figure + a year working solo on a game he has full creative control over regardless of pirating and then does borderline EA gacha style money making schemes. I've seen the road most games go down when they do shit like this and it isn't pretty. let's hope the game doesn't go down in flames through frustrating paywalls and what not. and i gave over 60 bucks in donations before pulling it because paying anything more for a VN is ridiculous

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
ok, but that wasn't my point at all. guy makes 6 figure + a year working solo on a game he has full creative control over regardless of pirating and then does borderline EA gacha style money making schemes. I've seen the road most games go down when they do shit like this and it isn't pretty. let's hope the game doesn't go down in flames through frustrating paywalls and what not. and i gave over 60 bucks in donations before pulling it because paying anything more for a VN is ridiculous
The thing that makes gachas terrible isn't that the companies sell extras to their games, it's that the companies sell you only a chance of getting the things you actually want and get you to gamble. The care packages are all preannounced and contain exactly what they say they will (plus the letters, which are a neat little extra).

With regard to paywalls, he's said that the story will always be available for free and the stuff in care package are pure extras, like bonus menus on movie DVDs. I agree that if he started paywalling a story that has always been available for free if you're willing to wait two weeks, that would be bullshit and I would probably pull my support in protest.

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
But it's not random. The EA-like gacha BS relies on gambling addiction mechanism, which does not not apply here. You know ahead of time what you will get in a specific month care package. You can even buy them individually for half the sub price after two months.

All Selebus did was add more incentive for people to sub. And sure, he did that because he wants even more money. But comparing that to the AAA's dumbfuckery is unfair IMO.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
The thing that makes gachas terrible isn't that the companies sell extras to their games, it's that the companies sell you only a chance of getting the things you actually want and get you to gamble. The care packages are all preannounced and contain exactly what they say they will (plus the letters, which are a neat little extra).

With regard to paywalls, he's said that the story will always be available for free and the stuff in care package are pure extras, like bonus menus on movie DVDs. I agree that if he started paywalling a story that has always been available for free if you're willing to wait two weeks, that would be bullshit and I would probably pull my support in protest.
But it's not random. The EA-like gacha BS relies on gambling addiction mechanism, which does not not apply here. You know ahead of time what you will get in a specific month care package. You can even buy them individually for half the sub price after two months.

All Selebus did was add more incentive for people to sub. And sure, he did that because he wants even more money. But comparing that to the AAA's dumbfuckery is unfair IMO.
i was saying it is BORDERLINE EA gacha style fuckery, not that it was. the next logical steps of the monetization process would lead into these things and its concerning when ever I see the first steps towards it. it always starts with DLC and horse armor. Also I am genuinely hoping that I'm wrong and it doesn't go past what it currently is.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes