vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
I truly do not understand why anyone cares about Selebus' personality. If I like the game (which I do), I'm supporting him. If I don't like the game, then I'm deleting the game and obviously not supporting him. Whether I like Selebus or not is completely irrelevant - neither is whether he's raging against F95.

Of course there are things outside the game which would keep me from supporting him. If it turns out he's a huge neo-Nazi or something, then yeah, I'm going to stop giving him my money. But simply being an asshole? Who gives a shit? It affects me in no way whatsoever.
You draw the line at neo-Nazi (8/10 asshole), most other people draw the line at more mundane levels of asshole (like 3-4/10 asshole).

A big part of why people support content creators is they like their public image and the communities they cultivate. The dev's escalating (public) assholery has turned the F95 thread largely negative/critical and the Discord into a miserable, toxic quagmire. That's going to have a much bigger impact on the game's success - and by extension, the dev's mental state - than any amount of piracy. So we're effectively stuck in a cycle, and the only potential solution we have to look forward to is the break he's supposedly taking.

Despite Selly's nonsensical and self-aggrandizing protestations, the game is the only real victim in this, and it being good is the biggest thing both sides want.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnowNoHope

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Wait, what? I had no idea it had a function like that, I actually have a reason to use it now.

When I say it doesn't make sense, I mean in the sense that you could be asking it to write a story about a modern day society with no fantasy elements and suddenly your story's society is getting raided by orcs, a fantasy race. AI has a tendency to break out of what it was told to do and go in a direction it was told not to. That example comes from experience, it wasn't a modern day society, but there were no orcs in what I was designing until the AI suddenly put them in out of nowhere.

You could ask it to write an update, but don't be surprised when suddenly there are things that don't mesh into the story or universe of what you are updating. It's just one of the kinks that need worked out of AI at the moment, it will get fixed eventually.
AI finds a way. -- Ian Malcolm

Reactions: alex2011

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
You're making the argument that black people shouldn't be able to enjoy HP Lovecraft's works.
Of course, Lovecraft Country, with black leads, was perhaps flipping a giant middle finger at HP's corpse.
The same would also apply to Wagner, but his association with "A Certain German Party" is fresher than HP's racism.
Who gives a shit what the author thinks, as long as it doesn't leak into the work itself? I can only speak for myself, but I've been a fan of this game for years and sunk a decent chunk of money into it. I want it to succeed. The only time the author's neuroses have been at all relevant are when they interfere with the development and quality of the game, which they have.
It's easier to separate the art from the artist when the artist is no longer around to make a profit from their work or use their fame to harm others (i.e. DEAD). HP Lovecraft, Richard Wagner, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the rest from the early 20th century are no longer here to stir up shit and vex us.

Living "Big Name" authors/artists, on the other hand, whether we're talking about JKR, "Ye," or others, do have the ability to use their money and influence to enable hate. Honestly, Selebus is not that influential outside of this small pond, his rage isn't really harming others that I can see, but money is energy, money is a transferrable form of our physical/intellectual labor. We all have to decide where we want our energy to go.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
yeah, he just randomly picked a fight. nothing brought it on. major levels of denial here. what a clown take.
Yeah man - your boy popped his top when one of his own patrons decided to share the content they paid for. Maybe he shouldn't have any patrons at all? Is that what you're saying? :KEK:

did you seriously just compare your struggle to steal without being shamed to a black person enduring racism? lol. wat a clown. nice avatar. LOLOLOL. The guy hates you. the community hates you. i hope it ruins the game for you.

And you don't care about the game? you're defending the act of stealing patron content game is already free for those willing to wait two weeks. and sel is scrooge. lol. what a tool.
Reading comprehension continues to evade the Discord kittens. Classy as always :FacePalm:

Really? People hate me? Dang, I haven't gotten any hate here. Wonder why :KEK:

Last edited:

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
Of course, Lovecraft Country, with black leads, was perhaps flipping a giant middle finger at HP's corpse.
The same would also apply to Wagner, but his association with "A Certain German Party" is fresher than HP's racism.

It's easier to separate the art from the artist when the artist is no longer around to make a profit from their work or use their fame to harm others (i.e. DEAD). HP Lovecraft, Richard Wagner, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the rest from the early 20th century are no longer here to stir up shit and vex us.

Living "Big Name" authors/artists, on the other hand, whether we're talking about JKR, "Ye," or others, do have the ability to use their money and influence to enable hate. Honestly, Selebus is not that influential outside of this small pond, his rage isn't really harming others that I can see, but money is energy, money is a transferrable form of our physical/intellectual labor. We all have to decide where we want our energy to go.
Definitely.

The worst thing Selly is going to do is put in more sadly toothless vitriol into his own game - like when his characters have said pirating something that's the price of a cup of coffee should be punishable by death, or the rant about Patreon. Everyone enjoys reading and potentially supporting that.

We'll also see if his supporters want to direct their energy at what's going to happen when he becomes the first Renpy game dev in its history to successfully incorporate DRM and it doesn't change anything :unsure:

ReegusLeroy

Mar 19, 2020
did you seriously just compare your struggle to steal without being shamed to a black person enduring racism? lol. wat a clown. nice avatar. LOLOLOL. The guy hates you. the community hates you. i hope it ruins the game for you.

And you don't care about the game's quality? you're defending the act of stealing patron-only content. bro, the game is already free for those willing to wait two weeks. and sel is scrooge. lol. what a tool.
account made on Feb 7, 2023
Did Sel give you your annual pass discount yet?

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
We'll also see if his supporters want to direct their energy at what's going to happen when he becomes the first Renpy game dev in its history to successfully incorporate DRM and it doesn't change anything :unsure:
I don't see that happening.

If he had the skill for that, he'd also have procedurally-generated reset puzzles to prevent people from getting answers here.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
I don't see that happening.

If he had the skill for that, he'd also have procedurally-generated reset puzzles to prevent people from getting answers here.
The website is serviceable enough, and he didn't do that either. It's pretty clear he has the spite to throw enough cash at it for a good attempt.

You know, instead of farming out a single thing that he hates doing and the game could really use, like more animations...

account made on Feb 7, 2023
Did Sel give you your annual pass discount yet?
And guaranteed to be using a VPN so their main doesn't get banned. I wonder why :unsure:

Reactions: ReegusLeroy

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
This is all fascinating.

Anyway, maybe by the time Sel gets back from his break I’ll have slogged through this god damn beach event. It’s definitely the longest VN ever… not that it needs to be, this story could probably be told better in 1/10th the verbiage. Dear god someone likes to read their own crap.

I remember liking this game at some point, but it’s wearing thin and dealing with the temper tantrums is adding to the tedious nature of it all.

No, I don’t care if it gets leaked day 1 or day 15 or whatever the gap is until the next release. It’s not particularly worth rushing too, but occasionally I feel an itch to see if anything advances.

I do find the bragging about the update schedule amusing. There is soo much content and it comes out soo fast! It’s a bunch of renders. It’s the lowest effort content you can reasonably put into a game, I would hope he could put out steady updates. He’s got it down to a science. Pose the girls tilt the camera to a Dutch angle. Save render. So yeah, it goes fast, but others occasionally try to add gameplay or art or at least an animation of some sort to the games and comparing those to a word firehose desperately in need of an editor feels a bit disingenuous.

dwen09

Nov 14, 2022
does anyone know where the game creator took the music used ingame? I recognize some of them as free royalty music, but Im looking for the song titled "Good Morning" in game. I like listening to it, just letting the game run in the background just to listen to this one specific song.

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
does anyone know where the game creator took the music used ingame? I recognize some of them as free royalty music, but Im looking for the song titled "Good Morning" in game. I like listening to it, just letting the game run in the background just to listen to this one specific song.
Most of it is free royalty music. Some of it was licensed. "Hallelujah" was commissioned specifically for the game.

No idea about "Good Morning".

Reactions: alex2011

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
The current AI just forgets your earlyer prompts (in free versions), and if not, after each step of the story many scales shift here and there giving you this result. Like, if in the beginning of the story there was 0% chance to encounter necromancer, after, for example, step 1500 it will go up enough to be a possibility, since some of the relatable scales were touched. There was a corpse? +1. There was a cemetery? +1. Its currently night? Here, have a vampire. In non fantasy world. Ah, yes, there was a swamp somewhere, so, here some lizardmans. But they have guns. Since its non fantasy and all.
I could see it, it needs to be made to keep the previous prompts, but that would likely need to be fully free AI that aren't being paywalled in order to get that since no developer selling access is going to give the free versions enough useful functionality to take away from incentive to buy into the paid version.

AI finds a way. -- Ian Malcolm
Eventually

Reactions: Dragon59

worthlesspeon

Jun 10, 2017
The website is serviceable enough, and he didn't do that either. It's pretty clear he has the spite to throw enough cash at it for a good attempt.
A website is pretty trivial to code compared to a DRM scheme, and a website isn't subject to the cat and mouse that DRM typically is. Sel isn't going to give someone a chunk of his proceeds every 2 weeks. And he doesn't have the skill to make a competent DRM scheme himself. This is the guy who's renpy project name is "test2" because he couldn't figure out how to rename it.

worthlesspeon

Jun 10, 2017
This is all fascinating.

Anyway, maybe by the time Sel gets back from his break I’ll have slogged through this god damn beach event. It’s definitely the longest VN ever… not that it needs to be, this story could probably be told better in 1/10th the verbiage. Dear god someone likes to read their own crap.

I remember liking this game at some point, but it’s wearing thin and dealing with the temper tantrums is adding to the tedious nature of it all.

No, I don’t care if it gets leaked day 1 or day 15 or whatever the gap is until the next release. It’s not particularly worth rushing too, but occasionally I feel an itch to see if anything advances.

I do find the bragging about the update schedule amusing. There is soo much content and it comes out soo fast! It’s a bunch of renders. It’s the lowest effort content you can reasonably put into a game, I would hope he could put out steady updates. He’s got it down to a science. Pose the girls tilt the camera to a Dutch angle. Save render. So yeah, it goes fast, but others occasionally try to add gameplay or art or at least an animation of some sort to the games and comparing those to a word firehose desperately in need of an editor feels a bit disingenuous.
This is pretty on point. Yes the game has frequent updates, but maybe 10% of the content actually notably moves the plot. Best comparison is probably old animes. They technically had new episodes every week nearly 52 weeks out of the year, but the plot would still barely move in that time. Few would consider that kind of thing superior to say HBO style shows that get 8-10 episodes every couple years.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
well then as no one has anything intelligent or depraved to say again or want to ground their minds in reality atm.
I say we talk about that fishnet with a knife nose or about raid shadow legends sponsered by coke
does that thing have a name

akselx

Mar 29, 2020
I still can't understand why anyone would play such a long and emotionally draining game if they know the author of that game detests them.
I don't really see how that matters at all. First, the hate from his side isn't exactly personal, second - only thing that matters, in my opinion, is whatever u hate the creator or not.
And it isn't like he's demanding anything totally unreasonable. He saw a clever way to see if he could leverage the rules of the site to get the admins to enforce a demand of his. And my entire point, is that the demand is super reasonable.
I agree, I just don't understand why u think the pirate forum actually cares about his demands? I think that from a viewpoint of a leaker whatever it's a base game, or cp - it's all the same stuff. And this is the place to leak.
And I don't even want to talk, for n-th time, about the hypocrisy of being self-righteously mad and preachy at others stealing the game one made from stolen assets.
Mods and admins could fix this immediately by simply saying CP stuff was a bridge too far. Let's keep things civil between ourselves and the creator. Instead, they gave him the middle finger.
U keep saying like admins here have some sort of responsibility towards the guy. There only responsibility they have is to, broadly speaking, moderate the forums. Sel doesn't get special treatment. It's a pirate forum. They don't care.

It's not that you're wrong in your appeals, it's just that it's pointless to address them to a forum dedicated to piracy. People that had means and desire to support the game already did all they could or wanted to do. I supported the game, defended Sel's right to be reasonably upset at his game getting leaked early too, when others here were calling him greedy, and am perfectly fine witing two weeks for public release and with cp not being pirated. I was almost wholly in his camp until recent events and, still, more "in" then "out".

The reality is, the only person who can realistically do something about this situation is Sellebus himself.

worthlesspeon

Jun 10, 2017
But the guy's income was shrinking as his subscriber-only content started to get leaked ever-earlier.
This part is largely not true. I've been keeping track for a little while now out of curiosity. The only times his income has dropped more than a baseline level of fluctuation were when patreon dropped the hammer and whenever there's a >1 month break between updates. Even the latter barely has an effect. Otherwise for the most part every time you check, his subscribers are paying a little bit more.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes