DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
A statement made by Selebus on discord following the recent events. Now with 40% less hostility.

View attachment 2368169
He literally states he is selling this, he can't do that with a game made with KK, or does he think he's the exception that's allowed to do whatever he wants?

- His vast library of custom renders, worth far more than any number of Care Packages IMO, have not leaked here or anywhere else AFAIK
I can post the link here for those renders, if anyone wants it, I got them all nicely packed in a zipped file.

Done, leaked now, I don't know if it's completely up-to-date, but it was when I downloaded them all.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Ah yes, the middle ground with a pirate site being NO PIRACY WHATSOEVER. A completely reasonable expectation to have.
That was it, there was no compromise allowing free early access, that's my point. I wasn't addressing reasonability or the piracy aspect I have been known to defend against here, I was addressing the fact that there was and still is a free option given that can't really be called compromise, but that would have served the purpose of a middle ground option had it been used by the people it was offered to by the developer himself.

We all can cite our own middle grounds. We'd all have some valid points.

One can argue that another middle ground would be for Selebus to live with the fact that piracy exists and that it might at least be bringing him exposure that he otherwise would not have had.

At the end of the day this is a pirate site. Selebus knew that before he posted his game here. He still knows that today. That probably brought him some early exposure that he would not have had. He has even acknowledged that the high ratings on this site were corelated with subscriptions and in the past had asked his discord followers to leave 5 star reviews of the game here.

But fine, all of us have some cognitive dissonance eventually. But ultimately, even if he never uploaded it here, if his game somehow ended up getting as popular as it is today, it would have eventually made it to this site anyway. Piracy tends to be a symptom of popularity. The games I see here that don't get posted quickly are games that are much less popular. Wasting so much time and energy an an eventuality seems pretty pointless.

He is also free to try to implement DRM. I don't think he'll be successful if he tries it himself. If he pays someone else, I don't think he'll get back the money he's hoping too. Short of going with denuvo or something (which costs $25k per month), the game will be cracked very quickly - especially if he sticks with renpy.

Ultimately the reason he's pissed off is he started spending more money and his income growth has stagnated. He blames it on piracy. It's probably a lot more complex than that. I'd say all of the following are much bigger factors than piracy: It's a very niche game that has probably reached most of its potential audience, the game tends to be unforgiving to new players, global economy slowing causing people to cut back on unnecessary expenses, and a general reduction in quality long term. His public attitude also will not do much to attract new players.
No developer selling their game, so as to exclude those giving it away for free in the first place, is going to just lie down and accept that, the difference is that some are more hostile against it than others. I've seen some take some serious steps to combat it, far worse than anything Sel has done so far in terms of the severity of the action, though usually actions in the game itself or in the distribution.

You may have given him an idea, make the game so unpopular that users on sites like this avoid it like the plague. This would drive the will to upload the game through the floor simply by virtue of no one wanting to play it outside of the patrons that are already committed to playing until the end.

I have seen other methods used that keep the patrons in line. He could implement distribution tracking and ban those who are recorded as in violation. He does have the potential for volunteers on the DRM thing, we saw firsthand on this thread how willing some patrons are to come to his aid, there's no indication that none of them are capable of implementing DRM, I can tell you that right now even from an internal perspective. The only indication is that there are some decently tech savvy people in the patronage, not how tech savvy they are.

Don't worry mate, i made a very similar point a few pages ago and i'm canonically 14 now. I'm definitely a cynic but eh, age is just a number amirite ?

If i were Selebus Deleted member 1697433 i wouldn't bother with DRM and stuff. I wonder how hard it would be to just include some more realistic kids in the game since F95 don't care about anime kids. Like hot samples of games that were actually banned like Proud Father or The Guardian. As an ad/partnership or something.
That would risk doing far more than getting it banned on pirate sites, it could get it banned across the board on his official third party pages and quite possibly put him in legal hot water if he goes too close to the forbidden line. That's like Icarus playing with fire in one hand while not only flying too close, but directly into the sun. This is not worth his entire revenue stream plus the potential for legal trouble.

He literally states he is selling this, he can't do that with a game made with KK, or does he think he's the exception that's allowed to do whatever he wants?

I can post the link here for those renders, if anyone wants it, I got them all nicely packed in a zipped file.
Mega

Done, leaked now, I don't know if it's completely up-to-date, but it was when I downloaded them all.
He's in a grey area with SubscribeStar, which a lot of people seem to consider selling the product even if it normally isn't seen that way legally, leading to some discussions of other games in other places devolving into arguments over the issue when some players don't get what they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axismundi

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
So...Your theory is that Deleted member 1697433 leaked the CP himself with an alt account so that he could then pretend to be mad about it, creating drama for publicity ?

That's not paranoia, that's retardness.
one: not what I said
two: I have seen major corporations do stupider shit than that for publicity
three: I said I know its not true before saying it
four: I don't mean short term dead, I mean long term dead. it got some traffic for a week maybe two if lucky after an update then nothing pretty much till the next one. It is literal retardation to not think the care package would be leaked and put somewhere even if it is not HERE. (but this is deleted member 1697433, we are talking about, i'm giving him to much credit to underestimate those levels of retardation)
so back to the idea. you design something with the full intent of antagonizing a community to generate a shit storm (this is like 90% of advertising current year) in hopes people will throw money at your product just to not be 'one of them' and then you wait for the inevitable response to your predesigned time bomb (in this case leaks) before going full ham staged incoherent rage fit over it
this does happen, it happens a lot nowadays sadly

in this specific case we were not even the target audience for this spectacle.
it would have been the freebies in the discord that now get plagued with the propaganda...
that and this thread now has more eyes on it and more comments made.
the problem with this method of advertisement is that it is a double edged sword that can cut both ways

Last edited:

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
That would risk doing far more than getting it banned on pirate sites, it could get it banned across the board on his official third party pages and quite possibly put him in legal hot water if he goes too close to the forbidden line. That's like Icarus playing with fire in one hand while not only flying too close, but directly into the sun. This is not worth his entire revenue stream plus the potential for legal trouble.
You sure about that ? SS and itch.io are full of content like that.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You sure about that ? SS and itch.io are full of content like that.
It depends on the site, there are a decreasing number that accept it in general and those usually have a specific no tolerance policy that doesn't allow a certain degree of realism or higher. SubscribeStar will be relatively safe unless they get hit with something that forces their hand, they were formed as an answer to Patreon's censorship after all, part of which was this kind of thing. Other sites I cannot guarantee to any degree will remain open to it or that they would allow the more realistic imagery of these other games.

This is an especially big issue for upload sites, like MEGA.

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
It depends on the site, there are a decreasing number that accept it in general and those usually have a specific no tolerance policy that doesn't allow a certain degree of realism or higher. SubscribeStar will be relatively safe unless they get hit with something that forces their hand, they were formed as an answer to Patreon's censorship after all, part of which was this kind of thing. Other sites I cannot guarantee to any degree will remain open to it or that they would allow the more realistic imagery of these other games.

This is an especially big issue for upload sites, like MEGA.
I can't see the future but as of right now it's perfectly fine. Even if some of the options currently available disappear there is a decent chance more will rise from the ashes, just like SS after patreon went to shit.

Reactions: alex2011

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
It was the French
I made a new account already anyways, sharing the care packages didn't matter, but the custom renders do?

This folder or file was reported to contain objectionable content, such as Child Exploitation Material, Violent Extremism, or Bestiality

Is the reporting system just as bad as YT's, where as long as someone reports it it gets removed, without any proof?

Reactions: Mythrs and pgm_01

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
I made a new account already anyways, sharing the care packages didn't matter, but the custom renders do?
Well if no one bothered to report it to mega i doubt they check manually.

I get that you're not their favorite person, but snitching to mega ? Wow.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Well if no one bothered to report it to mega i doubt they check manually.

I get that you're not their favorite person, but snitching to mega ? Wow.
They definitely don't check manually, it was already on my Mega for at least a week, it only got reported after sharing it here.

worthlesspeon

Jun 10, 2017
No developer selling their game, so as to exclude those giving it away for free in the first place, is going to just lie down and accept that, the difference is that some are more hostile against it than others.
That's where you are wrong. Try talking to some professional content creators at some point. Most don't *like* it, but accept it as an eventuality and acknowledge that to some degree it's a sign of success.

Reactions: Bingoogus

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
If i were Selebus Deleted member 1697433 i wouldn't bother with DRM and stuff. I wonder how hard it would be to just include some more realistic kids in the game since F95 don't care about anime kids. Like hot samples of games that were actually banned like Proud Father or The Guardian. As an ad/partnership or something.
It's not that F95 doesn't care about anime kids. It's that for most of the game's lifespan, Selebus made sure we knew that all characters were over the age of 18, but now that it's convenient for them to be kids he's saying they're kids, and F95 isn't letting him play that game.

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
It's not that F95 doesn't care about anime kids. It's that for most of the game's lifespan, Selebus made sure we knew that all characters were over the age of 18, but now that it's convenient for them to be kids he's saying they're kids, and F95 isn't letting him play that game.
Bullshit. The main game only have NSFW content with pubescent characters. The CP have NSFW content with pre-pubescent characters.

"nudity or sexualization or sexual/erotic activity involving prepubescent character(s) is prohibited" according to rule 7 with the caveat that "2D and 'unrealistic' depictions are generally looked upon more favorably". What is realistic or not is subjective but overall, i repeat, F95 doesn't give a fuck about anime-style lolis getting railed. Just filter the games by the loli tag and see for yourself.

Reactions: Southrim

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
They definitely don't check manually, it was already on my Mega for at least a week, it only got reported after sharing it here.
To be fair, if these are the requests given to $30 legacy+ patrons for this game, then the report is correct for a ton of them and MEGA blanket bans it all from what I can tell.

That's where you are wrong. Try talking to some professional content creators at some point. Most don't *like* it, but accept it as an eventuality and acknowledge that to some degree it's a sign of success.
That's not acceptance, that's surrender, they realized nothing they do will have a permanent effect, so they stop trying. Acceptance would be like if Sel actively allowed these things on the thread without resistance, which clearly he has not.

I'm pretty sure they were never actually 18+ aside from blatant adults considering the main cast is entirely composed of a teacher and his students in a school that is never specified as a higher education institution. He just didn't come out and directly state their ages until the care packages.

The 'all characters featured are 18 or older' thing is usually just a cover statement anyway. For that reason, I am going to have to disagree on this.

Bullshit. The main game only have NSFW content with pubescent characters. The CP have NSFW content with pre-pubescent characters.

"nudity or sexualization or sexual/erotic activity involving prepubescent character(s) is prohibited" according to rule 7 with the caveat that "2D and 'unrealistic' depictions are generally looked upon more favorably". What is realistic or not is subjective but overall, i repeat, F95 doesn't give a fuck about anime-style lolis getting railed. Just filter the games by the loli tag and see for yourself.
For now, but Tsukasa and Chinami are pretty much confirmed for the future. To be fair on the CPs, none of the loli forms are directly confirmed a specified age, so they could potentially be seen as borderline pubescent.

ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
it was not adhered to by the free side of the player base for the vast majority of versions, it was leaked consistently, sometimes within hours of a patron release
Correct me if I'm wrong but all the free side of the player base can do is request that someone leak the subscriber version early. It actually takes a subscriber whose willing to leak it for the leak to happen.

As such the way I see it the real problem at heart for him if he really examines it is not the free side of the player base. It's that he can not trust that not one of his subscribers will leak it. Maybe for money (unlikely) or maybe just for shits and giggles.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but all the free side of the player base can do is request that someone leak the subscriber version early. It actually takes a subscriber whose willing to leak it for the leak to happen.

As such the way I see it the real problem at heart for him if he really examines it is not the free side of the player base. It's that he can not trust that none of his subscribers will leak it. Maybe for money (unlikely) or maybe just for shits and giggles.
It does, the subscriber then becoming a supplier. This is why I would suggest to him to figure out a solution to track who has a specific copy, sort of like product serial numbers. He could then ban whoever did it, using them as an example to make the rest fall in line.

It would be tedious given he would have to set up a tracking list and give the patrons their version individually to avoid the usual communal links that could be used by literally anyone with access and would potentially lead to copies with the same tracking information, but it is doable as I have seen other creators do this on games featured here.

• Angry
Reactions: KnowNoHope
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes