Olympus3DX

Tower Developer
Game Developer
May 17, 2020
my point was he is not satisfied with 1$/hour, yet he would be satisfied with 1.5$...ie 100$ more for the whole work....if you check number of patrons, i assume a total sum for devs is 600$ atm (oc it could be expected to raise once the updates starts again, yet this game never has some large support/money if i recall correctly).
so, why are you here, at the first place, if youre looking for money/profitable job?

anyway, sad news regardless.
chatter deserves his work/game to be finished in the style, and hopefully it will be one day.
Honestly at that point it was no longer about the money.
I had already sunk over 20 hours in the project without pay and I really wanted to continue.
But if I was going to stop other projects and focus on this one I had to at least get something out of it.

Again I was not looking for a profitable job, I was hoping to help out since no one responded and the situation was kinda sad really. At first they refused to tell me before hand how much they wanted to offer me. Then they asked me how much I could render so they could adapt the amount of content for a release date. They settled for anywhere between 500-900 images.
I was only told the actual amount I would be getting like a day before they kicked me of the team :p (which I fully deserve by the way) but that was like a month and a half into the project.

I really do hope they work it out because Chatter legacy does deserve better.

I just wanted to get it out of my system, I mean, if he's going to post it on his Patreon as if I'm the bad guy asking for half of Chat's money. It was never like that. And I hope they treat the next artist with more respect.

<3

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Is this game abandoned.... Or still working on it
working on but chatterbox has passed away this year and so they are creating a new team to continue the game
This is a rather perfect storm of unfortunate events.

Like he said, Chatterbox unfortunately passed, so someone is needed to take on his role in the game's development. Gamersglory (who seems to be quite active on this thread) knows how Chatter wanted the story of the game to play out, and it seems to me, was his right hand man, knowing the characters "second only to Chat himself."

The other issue is that the existing team, prior to Chat's passing, seems to be incredibly busy with other things at the moment, be that them working on other games or just things in real life.

While the game may look like it's in shambles at the moment, Gamersglory seems incredibly intent on getting Lexi completed at some point and I am very certain it will, but you must be patient.

I got all this information from reading through this thread, but if I've got any details wrong, please correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: NukaCola and Abhai

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
Are there people who rent out their PC's to devs to render their images? How does this even work? $1 per 100 images?

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Are there people who rent out their PC's to devs to render their images? How does this even work? $1 per 100 images?
Not sure but there were a few people that posted on the recruiting/services forum offering to render for free or cheap.

Olympus3DX

Tower Developer
Game Developer
May 17, 2020
If it's just rendering images you can use render servers for that, which are anywhere from 100$ to 1000$ a month to rent.
Most of the time though Dev's need artists to model things, pose, do proper lighting, etc you know, the things the Dev's can't do themselves. You'd be surprised how much work in setting everything up it takes to get a proper render out. Once you have it all set up properly though you can pump out a 100 images easily (within the same set ofc)

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
Not sure but there were a few people that posted on the recruiting/services forum offering to render for free or cheap.
If it's just rendering images you can use render servers for that, which are anywhere from 100$ to 1000$ a month to rent.
Most of the time though Dev's need artists to model things, pose, do proper lighting, etc you know, the things the Dev's can't do themselves. You'd be surprised how much work in setting everything up it takes to get a proper render out. Once you have it all set up properly though you can pump out a 100 images easily (within the same set ofc)
So how many hours of manual scene/pose setting for a game that has like 2500 renders? There are a few games with that much. I cant even imagine how long to render the actual images. Hell how much to buy half the stuff you need? I saw the daz shop a while ago and a hat or shirt was like $15

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
So how many hours of manual scene/pose setting for a game that has like 2500 renders? There are a few games with that much. I cant even imagine how long to render the actual images. Hell how much to buy half the stuff you need? I saw the daz shop a while ago and a hat or shirt was like $15
Well, as to your last point... A lot of developers pirate the assets. There is a forum on here dedicated to it. That said, the successful developers pay for them and have the money to do so.

It is one reason that I have been writing but not learning to render. I can't actually afford to do it nor do I have a PC that can do it.

Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

Olympus3DX

Tower Developer
Game Developer
May 17, 2020
Depends on what you want/need. You can get very far with the free assets.
Take the pool scene I had to recreate for Lexi as an example, that took me about 3 hours to set up. It was a project lost in a data failure I believe, so it had to be remade almost from scratch.

That included:
- resizing and moving all the assets to the right spots
- texturing and finding the right shaders for the water, tiles, grass, chairs etc.
- getting the lighting right

Getting the girls posed can take 10 seconds, if you have a preset pose that loads correctly, but in most cases it will take about 5 minutes per character to get it perfect (especially the facial expressions)

and then you get something like this:

Lexi-lighter-pool.png

(small note: I spent another hour getting Lexi's skin right)

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

As the holidays are approaching and I have a ton of stuff going on IRL that is time-consuming I will be pausing pledges for November and December at least for those that have made annual pledges anytime I pause they will too so when I pause for two months it gets added to your sub. I'll still be around sometimes on Discord but not as much.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Well, as to your last point... A lot of developers pirate the assets. There is a forum on here dedicated to it. That said, the successful developers pay for them and have the money to do so.

It is one reason that I have been writing but not learning to render. I can't actually afford to do it nor do I have a PC that can do it.
There is also a thread for Free Stuff for Daz3D, so there are other options rather than Daz's frequently overpriced content.

ProofreadingRUS

Forum Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
Depends on what you want/need. You can get very far with the free assets.
Take the pool scene I had to recreate for Lexi as an example, that took me about 3 hours to set up. It was a project lost in a data failure I believe, so it had to be remade almost from scratch.

That included:
- resizing and moving all the assets to the right spots
- texturing and finding the right shaders for the water, tiles, grass, chairs etc.
- getting the lighting right

Getting the girls posed can take 10 seconds, if you have a preset pose that loads correctly, but in most cases it will take about 5 minutes per character to get it perfect (especially the facial expressions)

and then you get something like this:

View attachment 857327

(small note: I spent another hour getting Lexi's skin right)
Wow, that's flat chested.

Reactions: Olympus3DX
4.60 star(s) 53 Votes