4.20 star(s) 165 Votes

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
The game is pretty darn good, with a nice writing style.

But I gotta say, I don't particularly care for Mary. I'd rather be able to date her friend, or even her mother.
I never really liked or understood the appeal of these nubile girls, so inexperienced and shy. The parts where their virginities are taken are particularly bad, just awkward all around.

I prefer my women plumper, confident and more experienced.

So yeah... this isn't me saying your game is bad (far from it) just not my cuppa tea. Which is really a shame because I like slow paced, romance oriented games like these, it's just that Mary is the wrong girl for me.

PS: Also, all the teasing we get with the other girls doesn't help. If Mary is supposed to be the only option, then seeing Simone naked, having Andy walking in on the masturbating MC and then talking about it just makes it worse, for me at least.

U

User_365148

I guess this person is misinterpreting something I said and I'm sorry if I was not clear any game that we make under a partnership is not the same as games released under Ptolmey's Patreon. @lifewithmary456 is the owner of Life with Mary and production is funded by him. so his fundraising is separate from our games. So he is funding the game himself and his patreon is to help him with the funding. Ptolemy is not funding this game. same goes for Hailey's Story with Vilt
Hello, Gamers. Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Thanks for clearing that up once and for all but maybe it's just me but I thought from what @lifewithmary456 was saying was DRM/release related rather than the partnership that you have? Or did the conversation start off as why was that Patron not getting Life With Mary under the Ptolemy patronage and why they were coming out at different times?
What that former patron was saying, as far as I can tell is: I can already get your game for free from F95. What else you got to make me support you.
I won't lie. It pissed me off.
But that has nothing to do with Pto. The reason why I brought him up is that he owns the server. I'd need his permission to use it in that way. Right now the game is up there. But since there's also a downloadable version, the usage is pretty light. If I'd move to the server exclusively, that would probably increase a great deal. I'd need to talk to him about that.
To be honest though, I've cooled off in the past few hours. I'm no longer on the warpath XD. So I don't think I'll be going that route. But that conversation really had me steaming for a while.

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
What that former patron was saying, as far as I can tell is: I can already get your game for free from F95. What else you got to make me support you.
But that has nothing to do with Pto. The reason why I brought him up is that he owns the server. I'd need his permission to use it in that way. Right now the game is up there. But since there's also a downloadable version, the usage is pretty light. If I'd move to the server exclusively, that would probably increase a great deal. I'd need to talk to him about that.
To be honest though, I've cooled off in the past few hours. I'm no longer on the warpath XD. So I don't think I'll be going that route. But that conversation really had me steaming for a while.
That's exactly what I thought you meant. Obviously we're glad that you're not going down that path now but it's incredibly frustrating when you have someone who clearly likes your game and has spare cash who no longer wants to contribute when they can get the game here at the same time when you've clearly encouraged that former patron to do so.

Normally I try to stay impartial to things like this but in this case isn't there a silver lining? One less opinion to feed?

Reactions: Enyos

Q Who

Donor
May 16, 2017
Hello, Gamers. Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

LOL Take a lesson from Elon Musk and let someone else handle communications :)

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
Guess writing feedback in the midst of drama is a good way to get me ignored.

I'll post something more when this nonsense blows over.

U

User_365148

Guess writing feedback in the midst of drama is a good way to get me ignored.

I'll post something more when this nonsense blows over.
Lol
I don't know what response you expect to get.
You said Mary is not for you. Fair enough. The game is Life with Mary. What else is there to say?

Reactions: Namco15 and Enyos

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
Lol
I don't know what response you expect to get.
You said Mary is not for you. Fair enough. The game is Life with Mary. What else is there to say?
Life WITH Mary, not Life OF Mary.

Will the other women be options? Will she get more open?

Especially the former one so I can at least make a conscious effort of ignoring the other women as background noise.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Life WITH Mary, not Life OF Mary.

Will the other women be options? Will she get more open?

Especially the former one so I can at least make a conscious effort of ignoring the other women as background noise.
I'll hunt it down in a bit but no, Mary is the only romance option. No scenes planned with the mother but a 3some with the friend is a maybe nothing definite.

As the guy said, it is life with Mary, it's about her.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
That's exactly what I thought you meant. Obviously we're glad that you're not going down that path now but it's incredibly frustrating when you have someone who clearly likes your game and has spare cash who no longer wants to contribute when they can get the game here at the same time when you've clearly encouraged that former patron to do so.

Normally I try to stay impartial to things like this but in this case isn't there a silver lining? One less opinion to feed?
True. We love to see the passion from the fans as it means you actually care about the characters and the game. Constructive Criticism and Ideas are always welcome but just bitching is kind of stupid as it serves no purpose. I've seen a lot of devs come and go based on trying to please everyone. The secret is you can't please everyone.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
True. We love to see the passion from the fans as it means you actually care about the characters and the game. Constructive Criticism and Ideas are always welcome but just bitching is kind of stupid as it serves no purpose. I've seen a lot of devs come and go based on trying to please everyone. The secret is you can't please everyone.
I agree entirely here. Trolling and insulting are uncalled for (check out the Acting Lessons thread recently). It's fine if people want to say their part and WHY they dislike the project, as that's constructive criticism, but there's no reason to go on a smear campaign and basically harass others who don't hold your viewpoint.

Personally, I really like Life With Mary and everything that's been done. It's a bit linear, but that's fine since it's a beautiful story that I enjoy the well written dialogue of. After playing with Ren'Py, I find that it is way easier to write a more linear script, and with the assets that go into making all of the animations, any story is a large undertaking to begin with. Well done here, I've thoroughly enjoyed your writing @lifewithmary456. :D

jmts16

Aug 20, 2017
I dont understand why there is alot of people that doesnt like Mary i mean if you dont like the main girl when you know she is going to be the only option. then why play? i just dont understand people.
Personally, because I prefer confident women. Everytime a woman in one of these games is a virgin, their deflowering is always my least favourite scene.

I like the romance stuff, I like the slow pace, I just don't like that it's with the girl whose body type and personality I like the least.

You're free to like it, just as I am free to dislike it.

Halfelf

Nov 23, 2017
Personally, because I prefer confident women. Everytime a woman in one of these games is a virgin, their deflowering is always my least favourite scene.

I like the romance stuff, I like the slow pace, I just don't like that it's with the girl whose body type and personality I like the least.

You're free to like it, just as I am free to dislike it.
i agree you are free to dislike or like what ever you want. But if you dislike something why continue to play or watch that peticular thing? that is all i want to know. Not telling anyone if they dont like it then they are wrong or anything just really curious. if i dont like something i generally dont do it lol

U

User_365148

I agree entirely here. Trolling and insulting are uncalled for (check out the Acting Lessons thread recently). It's fine if people want to say their part and WHY they dislike the project, as that's constructive criticism, but there's no reason to go on a smear campaign and basically harass others who don't hold your viewpoint.

Personally, I really like Life With Mary and everything that's been done. It's a bit linear, but that's fine since it's a beautiful story that I enjoy the well written dialogue of. After playing with Ren'Py, I find that it is way easier to write a more linear script, and with the assets that go into making all of the animations, any story is a large undertaking to begin with. Well done here, I've thoroughly enjoyed your writing @lifewithmary456. :D
To tell you the truth, most of the writing is Pto.
I write the outlines, he builds the rest on that.

The thing about linearity is that it's almost a MUST, unless you have a huge team behind you.
Let's say you make 1 choice option that completely splits the game in 2. Really consequential. Even if you only change the dialogue in some scenes by that choice, you have to at least make a few different renders for it. So, let's say it increases the original size by 60%.
Then you make another such choice, since they are 2 paths now, that's another 120% of the story between the first and second choice.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, that to make a game with little linearity, you either have to make it quite short on each different path. And that will take away the character development. Since it takes quite a bit of time to do that.
Or have a huge team behind you.

Sorry if that breaks the illusion a bit. But you won't have much diversion in any of these games because it increases the load exponentially.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
To tell you the truth, most of the writing is Pto.
I write the outlines, he builds the rest on that.

The thing about linearity is that it's almost a MUST, unless you have a huge team behind you.
Let's say you make 1 choice option that completely splits the game in 2. Really consequential. Even if you only change the dialogue in some scenes by that choice, you have to at least make a few different renders for it. So, let's say it increases the original size by 60%.
Then you make another such choice, since they are 2 paths now, that's another 120% of the story between the first and second choice.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, that to make a game with little linearity, you either have to make it quite short on each different path. And that will take away the character development. Since it takes quite a bit of time to do that.
Or have a huge team behind you.

Sorry if that breaks the illusion a bit. But you won't have much diversion in any of these games because it increases the load exponentially.
No, I understand entirely, as I'm starting to work with another developer in grammar fixing some translated script. I get to see where all the splits end up, and all of the paths and reputation points dispersed. The scripting is a LOT of work and hats off to those who spend the time hammering it out.

Sorry to get off of this game, but I was playing High Life recently, and what Team Erosion plans to do just blows my mind. There's going to be so many paths and splits that I'm afraid they're going to get a couple updates in and either have to start cutting corners, or give up because of the complexity. If I ever try to make a VN of my own, it'd definitely be in the format that you've laid out here, with a beautiful story for others to follow and minimal splits. :)

U

User_365148

No, I understand entirely, as I'm starting to work with another developer in grammar fixing some translated script. I get to see where all the splits end up, and all of the paths and reputation points dispersed. The scripting is a LOT of work and hats off to those who spend the time hammering it out.

Sorry to get off of this game, but I was playing High Life recently, and what Team Erosion plans to do just blows my mind. There's going to be so many paths and splits that I'm afraid they're going to get a couple updates in and either have to start cutting corners, or give up because of the complexity. If I ever try to make a VN of my own, it'd definitely be in the format that you've laid out here, with a beautiful story for others to follow and minimal splits. :)
Who knows. Maybe they have a lot of dedicated and experienced guys doing it. IDK
But it's good to be realistic about these things.
That's why there are so many games that are abandoned. And so many, that let's face it, we all know won't ever be finished.
We all start out with huge plans. But then we meet reality :biggrin:
The only people that I know that have made a game with genuine branching paths, that is actually finished are Tora.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I guess the point I was trying to get across is that it's nearly impossible to meet the expectations that many come in with (in this age of instant gratification). They talk about "No I want to be able to chase A,B, or C. A&B but not C, A&C but not B" and so forth, without the realization of what you had just said (complexity and work load). There's so much behind the scenes work that most can't appreciate, but are quick to criticize. Once one delves into the work and starts to try it out, you quickly gain an appreciation for pretty much EVERY game out there, and even more so for the well written ones. :D

Reactions: UncleVT
4.20 star(s) 165 Votes