Vinfamy

creating moddable 3D life simulator
Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
(I'll respond to other comments in a later post today)

Hey Vin, so when i load a new map, i get a blue map, that has no buildings, and i cant select a new house or office? is there something i am doing wrong??
which map is this ? The default Central London map or a custom map you downloaded from the Mega folder?

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
Vinfamy It seems the bug with relative-turned-partner names where the game refers to them by their relation rather than name - e.g "my boyfriend Brother" - is still around bugge.png

Reactions: Vinfamy

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Custom map, for Indianapolis
Just tried Indianapolis myself, worked fine. Double check the instructions below to make sure you installed the map correctly:
Extract the archive then copy and paste its content into {GameInstallationFolder}\LifePlay\Content\Heavy\StreetMap

So that {CityName}.uasset and {CityName}.uexp go inside StreetMap folder, and another (much heavier) pair of {CityName}.uasset and {CityName}.uexp go inside StreetMap\Static subfolder.

(For those curious: the first pair holds the map data, while the second pair holds the 3d shapes of the map itself)

ab12

Jan 6, 2018
Are there going to be new animations/scenes for dogs in the near upcoming updates? Thanks.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Just tried Indianapolis myself, worked fine. Double check the instructions below to make sure you installed the map correctly:
Extract the archive then copy and paste its content into {GameInstallationFolder}\LifePlay\Content\Heavy\StreetMap

So that {CityName}.uasset and {CityName}.uexp go inside StreetMap folder, and another (much heavier) pair of {CityName}.uasset and {CityName}.uexp go inside StreetMap\Static subfolder.

(For those curious: the first pair holds the map data, while the second pair holds the 3d shapes of the map itself)
Maybe he didn't customize buildings? Default values are set at 1,25 % for each class of buildings which means over 95% of map will be empty space (for in-game purposes).

Tip for new players, when choosing custom maps, select some smaller, like Oxford, Gloucester (just suggestions). Then chose higher percentage of offices, leisure and homes... It will get filled by random buildings relatively fast, without CPU overload.

AXELXX

Apr 10, 2018
it would be nice if the incest mod that they added to the bone family to the mother to the father to the grandmother and to the grandfather was implemented and so with the family of the bride or wife

meh65

Aug 8, 2016
any news on adding "create a family" or sets of NPC's in batches? Similar to how you can create all people close to MC?

Reactions: AXELXX
Jul 14, 2017

Hey Vin, so i copied the 2 files that come in the download into the streetmap folder, the much heavier pair throws me off a bit, but i just copy pasted the same 2 files into static folder.

The main problem I am having is once i switch maps, it shows the blue area, but says there are buildings there, but i cant interact with any of them, and then when i try to find a new house none pop up.
Then chose higher percentage of offices, leisure and homes... It will get filled by random buildings relatively fast, without CPU overload.
I dont exactly know where you modify the building percents, so I am sorry about all this misunderstanding.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Hey Vin, so i copied the 2 files that come in the download into the streetmap folder, the much heavier pair throws me off a bit, but i just copy pasted the same 2 files into static folder.

The main problem I am having is once i switch maps, it shows the blue area, but says there are buildings there, but i cant interact with any of them, and then when i try to find a new house none pop up.

I dont exactly know where you modify the building percents, so I am sorry about all this misunderstanding.
When choosing city, look at upper left part of screen. Just check box randomize unknown buildings and set percentage. On smaller maps you can go up to 100% (Sum of all percentages). In fact you can go up to 100% at any map, but computations on large maps will take forever.

Last edited:

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017

that's the problem. The files to copy into the Static folder aren't the same as the ones in the StreetMap folder, when you extract the zip for the map, there is a Static folder in there too - copy the content of this Static folder to your game's Static folder

Reactions: Thermophob
Jul 14, 2017
Hey Vin, yeah im a total idiot, lol. When i extracted the files, i didnt notice the Static folder. Got it figured out. Thanks a ton dude.

Thermophob, thanks a ton too. Appreciate the help guys. =D

Reactions: Vinfamy

GraySailro

Sep 7, 2018
How to turn console on?
So my ~ button dont work for tech reasone
I try # but console wont show up
Or how console looks in game?

ChaosBoy

Mar 4, 2018
Because this is not Visual novel, it's Life simulator.. There are scripted events, once you meet certain requirements, but... again there is no "story", it simulates day to day life.
It is not, you have no needs that you must replenish like food etc. You teoreticly can get a job and hause but both of them are just rabbit holes activities with some repeatable events, and thats all. Basicly you create a character, edit his stats how ever you want and then participate in blank world full of rabit hole like activities, with ocasional events if you are lucky.

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
It is not, you have no needs that you must replenish like food etc. You teoreticly can get a job and hause but both of them are just rabbit holes activities with some repeatable events, and thats all. Basicly you create a character, edit his stats how ever you want and then participate in blank world full of rabit hole like activities, with ocasional events if you are lucky.
So what you're saying (and this includes your review) is that the game is as wide as an ocean and as deep as a kiddies' pool? It has a lot of "foundations" and core mechanics that show promise but suffers from inconsequential life sim aspects that have little meaning to it besides roleplaying purposes. Just about every aspect of the game feels lacklustre, has very little depth and replayability and it only takes a few hours to experience the bulk of what it has to offer.

Although modding is a possibility, those who have the time and knowledge to make meaningful content on the side are rare and none of what's available right now makes up for what the game lacks. Since you're not interested in modding yourself (same as many others) this means LP still has some way to go before it can be enjoyed by the masses in general. If someone's just here for the ride, they are better off waiting a while longer.

Is that what you mean?
(If 'yes' then I'd like a cookie for being able to shrink your wall-of-text of a review to two shorter paragraphs! :p)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosBoy

ChaosBoy

Mar 4, 2018
So what you're saying (and this includes your review) is that the game is as wide as an ocean and as deep as a kiddies' pool? It has a lot of "foundations" and core mechanics that show promise but suffers from inconsequential life sim aspects that have little meaning to it besides roleplaying purposes. Just about every aspect of the game feels lacklustre, has very little depth and replayability and it only takes a few hours to experience the bulk of what it has to offer.

Although modding is a possibility, those who have the time and knowledge to make meaningful content on the side are rare and none of what's available right now makes up for what the game lacks. Since you're not interested in modding yourself (same as many others) this means LP still has some way to go before it can be enjoyed by the masses in general. If someone's just here for the ride, they are better off waiting a while longer.

Is that what you mean?
(If 'yes' then I'd like a cookie for being able to shrink your wall-of-text of a review to two shorter paragraphs! :p)
Sady i can only give you a like cuz i dont have a cookie, i hope it will be enaugh :)

Reactions: IvoryOwl

Lostlegends

Modder
Jul 9, 2017
Unfortunately I have to agree with ChaosBoy and his review. Although I can Mod the game, I find myself fighting it. Mostly due to bugs, unfinished content, bug fixes, features that add nothing or just inability to get information. I know that isn't fair as the game is still heavily in development, and it is being developed by just one person, but it is how I feel and it makes me loose interest. It could be a very good game, but I feel its moving way too fast. The core of the game needs a lot more work before the features start to expand as they are. The new models where needed as the old ones where the weakest point. But now I personally feel its time to get the core gameplay right, rather than expanding it. Just a personal opinion and no disrespect intended.
AKA It needs fun!

3.30 star(s) 117 Votes