Feb 22, 2018
you promped me to look it up because my initial reaction was No But I wanted to be sure before reacting and... you are rite as catapult is an umbrela term designating any siege enigein desingd to throw a projectile with out gunpowder. Catapults, the way I usualy hear the term everywhere else usualy mean spring or bow powerd seige eingein. ( here the spring is usualy made out of some kind of fiber or rope)

by the way siege engein were sometime used to throw deseised dead body maybe a strategy to get rid of those pesky bear.
Right. All trebuchets are catapults, but not all catapults are trebuchets.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Trebuchets ARE catapults.
No actually they are not. Catapults compress springs or ropes or various substances that can absorb and release energy. Depressing the throwing arm puts torsional energy into the "spring" when the arm is released the spring moves the arm though its arc throwing the projectile. Traditionally catapults are smaller and far more mobile, even being mounted on wheeled bases that can be relatively quickly moved around the battlefield.

Trebuchets use a relatively very heavy counter weight that is lifted as the throwing arm is depressed. The pivot point of the arm has the weight on a very short arm compared to the length of the arm that will move through the throwing arc. So the weight drops swiftly and the speed of the throw is very very fast. Also usually the trebuchet has a sling that adds to the length of the throw accelerating the velocity of the projectile even more. Exactly as if a human used a sling to throw something.

Other than the fact that they both throw projectiles at the enemy, these are vastly different weapons.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I like how we all come together and discuss the ways of how to throw or launch bears far distances. Brings the whole family together and warms my heart.

On the other hand i start to feel bad about the people who have no idea what we are discussing here and how they seriously will start thinking that we discuss animal cruelty here. But bears are bears and bear are bears. Those are two very different things.

PS: If you are not in on this joke.....there is a 10% chance you are new in this thread. But a 90% chance you are a bear.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
On the other hand i start to feel bad about the people who have no idea what we are discussing here and how they seriously will start thinking that we discuss animal cruelty here. But bears are bears and bear are bears. Those are two very different things.
Well tossing an innocent bear a few hundred yards probably constitutes animal cruelty, unless you toss it into a lake full of fish. But you'd have to ask the bear...

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
No actually they are not. Catapults compress springs or ropes or various substances that can absorb and release energy. Depressing the throwing arm puts torsional energy into the "spring" when the arm is released the spring moves the arm though its arc throwing the projectile. Traditionally catapults are smaller and far more mobile, even being mounted on wheeled bases that can be relatively quickly moved around the battlefield.

Trebuchets use a relatively very heavy counter weight that is lifted as the throwing arm is depressed. The pivot point of the arm has the weight on a very short arm compared to the length of the arm that will move through the throwing arc. So the weight drops swiftly and the speed of the throw is very very fast. Also usually the trebuchet has a sling that adds to the length of the throw accelerating the velocity of the projectile even more. Exactly as if a human used a sling to throw something.

Other than the fact that they both throw projectiles at the enemy, these are vastly different weapons.

Well I agree with you that is the POPULAR description for catapults, but not the actual historical or official one. There is a whole paragraph on the question in the wikipedia page on Trebuchet ( at least in the french wikipedia page (reason why I am not providing a link))

Feb 22, 2018

I'm sorry, but your terminology is outdated.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I know I'm not the sharpest perv in this forum, but for my life I can't even start to decipher that thing. I really wish NR provided a simplest bar-like graphic for us the dumbs. (...)
Wish I could. Writing and developing a VN is a messy process, at least it is for me.

This is how that graph started out, nice and clean and manageable, with the promise that all icons filled meant game finished.
progressbar chapter 6 2021-01-20.jpg

But along the way, there's all this stuff that just comes up as part of the creative process: stuff gets rewritten, usually expanded in scope, extra scenes are plugged in, disaster strikes, etc. So this is what we end up with.

progressbar chapter 6 2021-09-30.jpg

I could just have a number based on the fraction of filled in vs open faces on the bar, but that would hide all that chaos going on during development. This graph is meant to be messy and convey the unpredictability of the process.

Just try to intuit it, and it'll start to make more sense.

GaboCAP

Jun 7, 2018
Wish I could. Writing and developing a VN is a messy process, at least it is for me.

This is how that graph started out, nice and clean and manageable, with the promise that all icons filled meant game finished.
View attachment 1429199

But along the way, there's all this stuff that just comes up as part of the creative process: stuff gets rewritten, usually expanded in scope, extra scenes are plugged in, disaster strikes, etc. So this is what we end up with.

View attachment 1429201

I could just have a number based on the fraction of filled in vs open faces on the bar, but that would hide all that chaos going on during development. This graph is meant to be messy and convey the unpredictability of the process.

Just try to intuit it, and it'll start to make more sense.
Don't worry, I'll just wait patiently reading posts about bears and trebuchets and whistling quietly "Que sera, sera".

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes