Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
As for retirement homes I suggest you read 'The 100 year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson. Brilliant read but probably also me. I find climbing trees and making eye-watering rope swings keeps me young. Oh and whisky. It cleanses the liver. Honest.
Haven't read it, but seen the movie more than a few times as a background noise in the TV and watched it once.

The movie is pretty good, means that the book is likely even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: afterlights

imnotasalmon

Mar 14, 2018
Interesting notion, but apart from anything else, I'd still have create some entry-exit points for the scene script when called from the gallery (or duplicate a ton of script and keep that in sync manually for changes, which is not a good option), and that means I have a ton of variables to seed for the dialog, and I'd have to capture those from some 'canon' playthrough, and if I figure out how to do a capture and seed mechanism for my playthrough, then we're already most of the way to capturing and seeding variables from your playthrough.
It's an interesting problem to tackle to be sure, but for now, saves will have to suffice.
So, I wanted to understand the challenge better so I dug through the code you use for the Midnight Poker scene and I can see what you mean. The way you build everything to have callbacks to very specific things definitely makes the game what it is. Very robust code means this is easier to do.

I ran the following in console:
call w05d07_s10
That actually gave me the scene I wanted with the dialogue more or less intact as you do have initialized variables ready to go. The way the gallery works is to do a similar call, but to labels within the gallery scripts themselves that just run the pictures in order with nothing. So to me, you're already duplicating some code to create the gallery. It seems like you could just call the scenes you want and let them run with default variables and it's a quick way to get what the people want more or less. Granted, it would be better to set and use persistent variables and have it populate with those, but maybe not something to do until the game is completed.

mac_2529

Feb 17, 2018
I've been closely following LOML and I've seen people who keep on complaining that it takes so long to get an update. Guess what? Despite the long wait, we are blessed to get a full chapter every time NR releases the new version. Compared to another game, which involves a certain wife who is also a mother (**wink wink**), NR has been and I could say will always be very accommodating of our feedback. The other game, also takes a lot of time to get an update, and when you do, the gameplay is not even more than 10 minutes.

And oh, the dev is also rude and doesn't want feedback from others. So sit back and have a little extra patience. We'll all soon get to see Denise's and Macy's booties.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Argh, its looked exactly the same the last 2 times it was posted.
No, wait. The 4th from last scene is slightly more filled in.
Progress is progress.
LOL, and there's a second scene tacked on. But cripes that one is a struggle, mainly for the size of it. It's got that timebomb doodle on there for a reason.

If all goes well, let's hope for a 1st week December release. I can still wait. It's No Nut November anyway, unless NaughtyRoad deliberately wants us to fap next month.
Dear god, I want you to fap, and not because I've got a weird fetish and a trojan installed that takes over your laptop cam, but that'd mean I've got this thing wrapped up, and right now, there's nothing I want more, believe you me.

So, I wanted to understand the challenge better so I dug through the code you use for the Midnight Poker scene and I can see what you mean. The way you build everything to have callbacks to very specific things definitely makes the game what it is. Very robust code means this is easier to do.
I ran the following in console:
call w05d07_s10
That actually gave me the scene I wanted with the dialogue more or less intact as you do have initialized variables ready to go. The way the gallery works is to do a similar call, but to labels within the gallery scripts themselves that just run the pictures in order with nothing. (...)
Cheers for having a look and doing some research, I like that.

The thing is, that one turns out pretty much okay, but those initial values were never really meant as a 'canon' version of sorts, or even safe values when dropping in halfway, and if you take for instance the bathroom scene the next day, that'll be gutted, with the girls acting as if last night never even happened, and the entire ending segment lobbed off as Denise never developed an interest in 'taste' (which is a player dependent choice, and gets triggered by the player repeatedly declining any and all opportunities for Denise to explore that and finally explicitly choosing an option to not be interested in an inner dialog she has as a last ditch attempt to get the player on board, which was put in specifically for players who are turned off by that or feel that just doesn't fit their image of the character).

In other scenes, you might get a situation where the script expects at least one of two flags to be set, or only one of two, and that might trigger duplicate dialog, or skipping an entire bit out and derailing the conversation. Or do something completely different again, because I never coded for that eventuality.

So the idea is not bad, but there's practical reasons not to go that way at this point and go with the simplest solution.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I remember there being a lot of drama about the walkthrough mod for this game. Will chapter 6 have an integrated version or there is no point because there are no big decisions?
Well, that's a bit of a loaded question. There's no need because the game does it best to keep you on the rails, not fuck you over with missing content because you chose "red" instead of "yellow" in some completely arbitrary choice two chapters ago, and make sure the repercussions of a choice are clear when it is presented to you.

The "drama" was because that particular walkthrough mod was a steaming pile of dung that didn't even guide you through a completionist path, while leading you through the most boring route in any conversation, acting like a spineless weasel avoiding anything confrontational in case that might just fuck you out of a lewd.

Hint, it doesn't, see above, and a modder worth their salt would have seen what reprecussions a choice has in the code. But in this case, churning out another one quickly and moving on to the next title seems to have been the primary goal, and who can blame them really, since their users will by definition never see the other paths in those games (because those parts are bad, right? The mod says so) and will never realize what a shit job they did. Win-win.

Bonus question: Will there be branching paths in the future? Maybe your "wards" can be encouraged to continue their lives or to stay at home and be your wives.
There's branching paths right now. You can choose to be involved with the wards, or let them get on with it and miss out on the branches involving them and you. You can chose to be involved with Brooke or with the coven or ignore them and miss out on their branches.
But as I said before, what there is not and will not be is mutually exclusive content (which I'm guessing you might mean when you say branching paths). As I'm already strapped for time as it is, I'm not interested to create content that will only be seen by on average 50% of players (assuming the split for either mutually exclusive branch is even) and as a consequence reducing my effective output for any particular player by 50%.

Bill_Buttlicker

Jul 13, 2018
I've been closely following LOML and I've seen people who keep on complaining that it takes so long to get an update. Guess what? Despite the long wait, we are blessed to get a full chapter every time NR releases the new version. Compared to another game, which involves a certain wife who is also a mother (**wink wink**), NR has been and I could say will always be very accommodating of our feedback. The other game, also takes a lot of time to get an update, and when you do, the gameplay is not even more than 10 minutes.

And oh, the dev is also rude and doesn't want feedback from others. So sit back and have a little extra patience. We'll all soon get to see Denise's and Macy's booties.
Next update get ready for Denise and Macy's booties...so sexy :love:

booties.jpeg

Last edited:

JollyGeorgieM

Apr 14, 2019
Dear god, I want you to fap, and not because I've got a weird fetish and a trojan installed that takes over your laptop cam, but that'd mean I've got this thing wrapped up, and right now, there's nothing I want more, believe you me.
AmongSus.jpg

You can choose to be involved with the wards, or let them get on with it and miss out on the branches involving them and you.
I actually did this route once, with the idea being I'd be a "Good Father" who did the right thing by society's standards. It was truly sickening... not in a "incestuous lesbians? Ew, Gross!" type of way, but rather the "What have I done" kind of sickness that makes you incapable of eating while you sit in the dark harshly judging yourself. It was heart-sickening, if you will.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The idea of two sisters with an impossible love for their father turning to each other in the dark may sound romantic (or at least kind of kinky), but in practice here I found it painful, depressing, and legitimately stomach-turning. That's great writing! ...But it also briefly put me off the game, if I'm being honest. Save-purge and restart is the only proper medicine! I find it ironic that my decision to have a "Good Father" playthrough proved to be the darkest timeline :LOL::cry:

In short, there are indeed branches, but don't take that one. Seriously don't. Love your extremely lovable daughters and enjoy the game! I hope this saves any curious cats out there tempted to take this branch (remember what curiosity does for cats...). This is the darkroad, stick to the naughtyroad!

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017

Ah the famous dev who has 50.000 renders and who knows everything better including writing only to realize that i was right over 2 years ago calling him out on the bullshit he pulled and that he wrote himself in a corner now. Regardless of what he will pull in the future the main dish will let everyone down. Because the longer the build up the more gigantic the delivery has to be. Otherwise you lack the impact that would be required. Like a punch without force behind it.

I read on that thread from time to time but when the spicy stuff happens and the clusterfuck of his storyline will explode in his face i will sit in the thread and write the biggest "I told you so" i can think of. Just for the lolz. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I actually did this route once, with the idea being I'd be a "Good Father" who did the right thing by society's standards. It was truly sickening... not in a "incestuous lesbians? Ew, Gross!" type of way, but rather the "What have I done" kind of sickness that makes you incapable of eating while you sit in the dark harshly judging yourself. It was heart-sickening, if you will.

The idea of two sisters with an impossible love for their father turning to each other in the dark may sound romantic (or at least kind of kinky), but in practice here I found it painful, depressing, and legitimately stomach-turning. That's great writing! ...But it also briefly put me off the game, if I'm being honest. Save-purge and restart is the only proper medicine! I find it ironic that my decision to have a "Good Father" playthrough proved to be the darkest timeline :LOL::cry:

In short, there are indeed branches, but don't take that one. Seriously don't. Love your extremely lovable daughters and enjoy the game! I hope this saves any curious cats out there tempted to take this branch (remember what curiosity does for cats...). This is the darkroad, stick to the naughtyroad!
On that note i can highly advice you also look at the coven (the three co-workers) and their relationships and influences with the mc depending on which route you choose. As you already look at the perspective of the wards (daughters if you choose) and how the actions of the MC can lead down a dark path for them.

To me it is exactly this "painful, depressing, and legitimately stomach-turning" writing that makes this game a masterpiece. If you so choose you get tons of different angels of the games storyline.
Be it the coven that if shit turns sideways could end up ruining 3 families at once.
The fact that the wards are so hurt and damaged that without help this coudl turn tragic very fast for everyone.
Or the problem that both the MC and Macy have reasons to believe they are responsible for the death of a loved one.

One of the wards is so damaged and hurt she barely leaves the house or wants to see other ppl at all and suffers from anxiety and panic attacks.
And the other is so drowned in her grief that she put an emotional wall around her with anger issues like a bomb that could go off every second regardless what you do.

That alone could fill a book if you know what you do. But cherry on top we get Brooke who would be accepted by Denise as new mother and someone she could look up to and fill the damaged hole in her heart. Macy on the other hand instantly recognized Brooke as Rival and Enemy of the status quo. Which further fuels her rage like anger and emotional wall building.

How about the coven (the 3 office ladies) and what do they represent?
The single life where you do what you want with whoever you like.
The pregnant life where you start to set up for life and make sure your offspring is save.
The motherly life where your own needs are on pause for your family.

And what if the wards find out the MC bangs all three of them? How much damage would that do not just to them but to the families of those ladies? They surely could switch the story and get the MC fired pretty fast. On the other hand it could also backfire for them. The single lady loses her job. The pregnant lady becomes a single mother and the married one gets her divorce papers handed. All four could lose their job etc if this comes out.

Meanwhile the wards could be hurt even further by the MC's behaviour.

Of course we could also discuss the 5 stages of grief present in the game that get portrayed on a flawless subtle level. If you don't know about it and how to look for it you will surely miss it.
The fact that we also have the story of Lot and his daughters in the game and how denise gets her ideas from that story while the player/reader gets the double meaning for both the story denise is hearing and the story the player/reader is witnessing makes another great discussion topic.

If you write for a living like i do. This game is a freaking gold mine. So many things to see, read and witness it is an orgasm for the mind as well not just the eyes and fapping material when you play it. This is one of a kind and done so marvelous you can get lost for weeks in the thought process of the games aspects alone without even playing it.

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
Yeah, the girls are non conventional beauties, Is ok to feel weirded out at the beginning but I assure you if you give it a chance they will grow on you and you will love all of their imperfections...
Yeah, I did not like them either when I first started playing the game. But the more I played, the more I came to love them and now LOML is by far one of my favorite games on here. The girls tend to grow on you and I don't want the Dev to change anything about them because they are perfect the way they are.

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
I'm sure Iam not the only one that first tried this game BECAUSE the girls where different and intriguing. I found them well made and unique. I tryed it first when I got bored of always seeing characters that after a time seemed to blur together. Anyway came for the girls stayed for the story. (AND the girls too what do ya think those are buties in their own right!)

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I'm sure Iam not the only one that first tried this game BECAUSE the girls where different and intriguing. I found them well made and unique. I tryed it first when I got bored of always seeing characters that after a time seemed to blur together. Anyway came for the girls stayed for the story. (AND the girls too what do ya think those are buties in their own right!)
I freely admit that I avoided this game for quite a while because of the girl's appearance, which initially did nothing for me. But after so many rave reviews about the writing I came for the story, and in a very short time came to love the girls as well.

Their attractiveness doesn't smack you in the face, but after a while you just can't understand how you didn't see it from the very beginning. Terrific VN. Just terrific.

XPanda

Dec 26, 2020
Yeah, I did not like them either when I first started playing the game. But the more I played, the more I came to love them and now LOML is by far one of my favorite games on here. The girls tend to grow on you and I don't want the Dev to change anything about them because they are perfect the way they are.
Well I guess I am a true Deviant, I thought the girls looked really good from the get go. Even more than that, they looked interesting. Perhaps they are not beautiful in the classical sense, but they look like regular real people to me. I have seen girls that looked similar to them in RL and I am happy to have something new visually in an AVN (there are a couple of other really good writers out there).

My only complaint with the game is that every time I see naughtyroad post a well thought out post, answer a question, or try to support/build his community I get a little twinge and think "Darn, well that's another 30 seconds that I have to wait until the next update."

I know creativity does not work that way and he has to do something while images are rendering, BUT I NEED him to get back into his cave and not come out until the next update is released. It was so much simpler to be on a slow burn when I didn't understand the progress chart, lol.

Last edited:

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Well I guess I am a true Deviant, I thought the girls looked really good from the get go. Even more than that, they looked interesting. Perhaps they are not beautiful in the classical sense, but they look like regular real people to me. I have seen girls that looked similar to them in RL and I am happy to have something new visually in an AVN (there are a couple of other really good writers out there).

My only complaint with the game is that every time I see naughtyroad post a well thought out post, answer a question, or try to support/build his community I get a little twinge and think "Darn, well that's another 30 seconds that I have to wait until the next update."

I know creativity does not work that way and he has to do something while images are rendering, BUT I NEED him to get back into his cave and not come out until the next update is released. It was so much simpler to be on a slow burn when I didn't understand the progress chart, lol.
I pinged him once about his diversions into efforts not directly related to the game. He explained that his sanity required some of those diversions. That he needed to briefly detach from the game to maintain his balance. Artistry is both its own reward and curse. Having been properly schooled, I advise to leave him to his necessary pursuits. ;)

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes