naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...) This is why i stick to japanese games, at least most if not of all of the them are released in a completed state, in contrast with Patreon ones which are the inverse and even some of those completed games are just rushed endings or they're outright axed (...)
Imma just ignore the backhanded accusation of milking there, and address the one point in your argument worth addressing, which is that as far as I can tell, these Japanese games that come completed do so because they're produced by actual studios operating on a business model of securing funding from investors and publishers, hiring a team to produce that game on budget. Their business model is a traditional one: invest to produce a completed product, then sell units to recup and hopefully make a good profit on that investment

Patron backed games, OTOH, are passion projects, in spite of your claim otherwise. They're usually single developers, sometimes small teams, and they are not run as studios, and do not have their financial means. Without the patron model, these games simply wouldn't get made at all.

All of which does nothing to invalidate your opinion, it's fine to feel that way, let me stress that. It just seems to me that your lack of understanding of the business models involved leads you to compare apples to oranges.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Patron backed games, OTOH, are passion projects, in spite of your claim otherwise. They're usually single developers, sometimes small teams, and they are not run as studios, and do not have their financial means. Without the patron model, these games simply wouldn't get made at all.
It is certainly true your's is a project of passion and it shows in your work which I thank you for and find excellent. It's also true for many other developers. However, we all know that it is not true in every case, some of which are among the most visible on this site.

It's indisputable that many, if not most, of the games here could not exist without ongoing support either using the Patreon model or some type of crowdsourcing.

IMHO it's critically important for every one to remember that patrons are NOT buying a game. The support they provide to a developer is so they can pursue whatever they choose. It may well go to a game's direct development, it could equally go to the exploring new tools, or improving skills, or to buy rounds at the pub. Developers are not accountable to patrons. Anyone who has issues with that is well advised not to contribute until the game they fancy is completed.

afedvfe

Oct 8, 2020
People hate on the Patreon/patron business model but crowdfunding has existed since forever (in a different format maybe, but the concept has been the same). Although there have been people who abused/abuse the model, one has to admit that it has been also the source of jewels like this game and others as well

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
<snip>

... A dev thinks they can have game ready for X date but life gives zero fucks about peoples plans and likes to screw with us so something happens and they are off by a day or two.

<snip>
I am not disagreeing with Avaron .. as I have been a staunch supporter of devs getting time to get shit done since day one. I am laughing at the dichotomy of this (proper) usage of slang. Wouldn't life give more than 1 fuck if it are screwing with us?

Sorry - had to be said - running back to my palm trees and garden to mow the yard.

Hardcore1234

Mar 8, 2017
Every time I see someone ask when the update is coming out, I'm reminded of a quote an ancient wise man once said,
"Asking developer of nudie game when update arrive is like asking man when bowel movement arrive. It comes when it comes." --Confu-shits

Words we can all live by (y)
The only thing I got from you is that your country was built by butt lickers.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
IMHO it's critically important for every one to remember that patrons are NOT buying a game. The support they provide to a developer is so they can pursue whatever they choose. It may well go to a game's direct development, it could equally go to the exploring new tools, or improving skills, or to buy rounds at the pub. Developers are not accountable to patrons. Anyone who has issues with that is well advised not to contribute until the game they fancy is completed.
So. Much. This.

I donate to Naughty, and others, as a non-specific way of saying "thanks" and, in some cases, to help move projects forward. Naughty owes me nothing, including content or release timing information, and I'm fine with that in general and with Naughty specifically because he's totally up-front about LoML development as a hobby, a passion-project and not Half-Life III.

Sure, I want everything NOW but I've waited longer (more than twenty years in some cases) for less satisfying literature, film and game experiences. Why give Naughty shit about doing what he said he was going to do and then conveniently forget the hundreds of games and movies that were delayed for years, projects that investors threw millions at?

Most of the "not enough releases" comments about Naughty and LoML are akin to living next door to a clockmaker that makes two clocks a year out of a love of clockmaking and criticizing him for not making more clocks when you're not even in the market for clocks. It's totally nuts...

Last edited:

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Every time I see someone ask when the update is coming out, I'm reminded of a quote an ancient wise man once said,
"Asking developer of nudie game when update arrive is like asking man when bowel movement arrive. It comes when it comes." --Confu-shits

Words we can all live by (y)
Bad visual image man. Bad...

fea876

Nov 24, 2018
2,5 years and we have handjob and unconscious handjob. Yikes. Update once a year ? Yikes. Someone is supporting this ? YIKES.
You should be accurate, we have sofa cuddling, fruits eating guide and bear licking kink too. I will not share my preference order but... yeah, sometime it's better to keep it shut...

A.K.A87

Feb 3, 2021
2,5 years and we have handjob and unconscious handjob. Yikes. Update once a year ? Yikes. Someone is supporting this ? YIKES.
Somebody looks at the release date, looks at the update log does a quick play though without actually looking or noticing anything and then posts a comment like this YIKES.

I could go into it and talk about the differences: one man doing this in his spare time and compare this to dev groups that launch 2 or more games at a time and just go for the milking the one that gets the most support and lets the others just sit and grab some more money never having the intention to finish them.
Or about the devs that just abandon a game after the support dwindles and just start a new one and play it of as this being better.

Or even about the quality of writing that most just pump out following the predictable scrip that has been done to death, not to mention the animations that are just the standard ones that just are off in so many ways with legs that are moving for no reason, tits that go into the body and so on....

But hey , you are entitled to your opinion so who am i to judge that.

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
I want to clarify the members here mean well and are usually super chill, but they are (rightfully) tired of some kind of comments being repeated time and again. That's why the moderators came with the warning.

Content wise there is a lot of that, the story is pretty lengthy and there are numerous sex scenes with different characters, that said, this is a slow burn so some of the main characters aren't involved in the sex scenes yet (but they are involved in a lot of naughty stuff so don't worry ;)).

About the looks of some of the main characters, that is an intentional design choice by the developer, they wanted to make models that feel more like real people and not the classic "barbie" model you see on most other VN, I know they might give a bad first impression, since we are so used to Daz/Honey select models, but if you decide to give it a try I assure you, they will grow on you and you will end up loving them.

I highly encourage you to give it a try, the game is amazing and Im sure you will develop a new appreciation for the models when you get to know the girls...

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I love when some of the world's best writers explain they are just documenting as they observe their characters growing.
Not only that. They literally become alive on their own. Inside your head and on paper or in today's time on the screen as well.

You may think you wrote that book in the end. But in reality you where just the observer and you always remember your first experience on what those famous writers meant when they said

"they are just documenting as they observe what unfolds before them"

A particular interesting scene to me was when i tried different things for my first short stories that never saw the day of light on any publisher to maybe get an internship or something! Training purposes only.
I wrote about a hero fighting a evil creature and after a close call battle the hero triumphs over the creature.
At least that was my idea when i started. Gimme a break i was 16 and Conan was the shit back then. :ROFLMAO:

In reality the hero was badly injured and left to rot by the creature who thought he was dead already. The hero then was saved by a wandering old man who then teached him the ways of the warrior to make him a better fighter and a better human being as well by sharpening his mind and his body at the same time.
Only to later find out the old guy and the evil creature where one and the same thing and both existed only inside his mind.
Kind of a story how to face your inner demons and how they can torture and cripple you if you let them.

To me that was always the most fascinating part about this kind of job. Like life surprises you in unkown ways so does writing. You may know what you start with but you never know where the journey will take you next.

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
Strange - I find all the faces in this game are like the faces I see every day when I go out in public in the United States. I don't find them weird, alien, off-putting, whatever. Yes, they are slightly enhanced and exaggerated for artistic style - but not in such a way that is completely unrealistic. Do some of the angles better accentuate looks than others? Sure. But we've all had those kind of photos in real life, ourselves.

There are no ugly (or even borderline ugly) characters in this game. I would say on a 1-10, where average is 5.5, I would say that there are one or two that are a 6 and all others are greater than that.

Hell, there have been quite a few photos posted in this thread of women who naughtyroad could have easily used as inspiration, had he known. I just saw the following image on another site that has serious Macy vibes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...) Hell, there have been quite a few photos posted in this thread of women who naughtyroad could have easily used as inspiration, had he known. I just saw the following image on another site that has serious Macy vibes.
LOL. Although I usually go with the one below myself as a counter for this particular topic, that doll has some features that match amazingly well, not least off all the nipples. :whistle:

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
LOL. Although I usually go with the one below myself as a counter for this particular topic, that doll has some features that match amazingly well, not least off all the nipples. :whistle:

Love Macy repping NR merch!

Unrelated note...Thank You KFC for keeping it so cold in the restaurants :oops:

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019

The resemblance is uncanny. Luckily, that candid picture of Anamaria hasn't been mutilated with horrid instagram or ticktock filters. What baffles me is that a lot of people actually prefer the fake digital mannequin look you usually see.
I guess that after being spoon fed by mass and social media for that long, they've lost touch with reality.

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes