Draakaap23

Dying is always an option
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
'halfway mark' my ass. I think the dev is being a bit too optimistic. The last update needed plenty of extra work to be put in the last, let's say '10 percent', for bug fixing and testing. When that graph came towards the end, progress slowed too a crawl of previous development speed and it took months extra before we got a release. Maybe there now is better balance of work/life and I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
'halfway mark' my ass. I think the dev is being a bit too optimistic. The last update needed plenty of extra work to be put in the last, let's say '10 percent', for bug fixing and testing. When that graph came towards the end, progress slowed too a crawl of previous development speed and it took months extra before we got a release. Maybe there now is better balance of work/life and I am wrong, but I doubt it.
Work/life balance. You mean that he has a family he likes to spend time with, as well as a full-time job to put a roof over their head, food on the table, and clothes on their backs... and this is a third on his priority list when looking at all three? Even so, as a solo developer - 2500+ hours went into Chapter 6 in 2021 and he's over 1200 so far for Chapter 7 in 2022.

It's obvious when the dev says "halfway there" he means half the scenes, not "half done". The progress bar obviously shows that, looking at last week's #10,057 as a guide. Also, notice that the second half of the scenes are more complex. Finally, the dev has made no secret for at least the last couple of years that just because the scenes are done, doesn't mean it's ready for release. Gotta wait for the ship to fill in.

1655992584529.png

Finally, as for "extra months" claim you make, as you can see from the gif below, the progress was pretty steady through to the last scene completed on 18 Nov 2021. Chapter 6 was released on 8 Dec 2021. That's 20 days for QA, play testing, porting, etc.

LomL_-_2021-11-24_-_Progress_Bar.gif

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Part of the "slowdown" had to do with the fact that a lot of the stuff at the end got pretty complex and the one scene-one face setup didn't really convey that well. Hence the the little stacks of faces that feature on the new progress bar. Hopefully, that better shows where the challenges are. It's an iterative process, and I'm also figuring this stuff out as I go along, it's not like I've done any of this before. :D

Twstt

Nov 30, 2018
Part of the "slowdown" had to do with the fact that a lot of the stuff at the end got pretty complex and the one scene-one face setup didn't really convey that well. Hence the the little stacks of faces that feature on the new progress bar. Hopefully, that better shows where the challenges are. It's an iterative process, and I'm also figuring this stuff out as I go along, it's not like I've done any of this before. :D
I'm being entirely sincere when I say that you are hitting it out of the park. There are few devs on this platform that are capable of the work that you are putting out, and while I (and everyone else) wish we could have immediate access to a finished narrative, that just speaks to the quality and enjoyability of your game and story. I'm sorry that this often manifests in what can be perceived as frustration from many people, but I truly believe that these misguided statements are born of love rather than hate. It's a deep appreciation to the time and attention that you put into every single frame, word, and line of code that this game needs.

I know the slog is hard, and that people adding negativity to the mix isn't great. However, I hope you know that for every one person that speaks up about timetables or the roadmap or whatever else, there are dozens of us who are waiting patiently as you create your art and grant us further access into this charming world that you've created.

Thank you Naughty, I truly mean that. Your game is the one that I look forward to the most, and I'm so excited to see what you have in store for us, when it's ready to be shared.

Please take care of yourself and your family, and take pride knowing that something you've created is drawing such strong emotions from people! Both the good and the misguided less than good lol

fasteddie

Aug 19, 2016
I don't mind the time that updates take, though of course I would love for things to magically progress quicker. With that said I'm patiently waiting for the next one while keeping myself occupied with other games and life in general. So naughtyroad, you have my thanks for all the work you do and the payoff in the last update was so good.

Porthos#1

Jan 17, 2020
I'm being entirely sincere when I say that you are hitting it out of the park. There are few devs on this platform that are capable of the work that you are putting out, and while I (and everyone else) wish we could have immediate access to a finished narrative, that just speaks to the quality and enjoyability of your game and story. I'm sorry that this often manifests in what can be perceived as frustration from many people, but I truly believe that these misguided statements are born of love rather than hate. It's a deep appreciation to the time and attention that you put into every single frame, word, and line of code that this game needs.

I know the slog is hard, and that people adding negativity to the mix isn't great. However, I hope you know that for every one person that speaks up about timetables or the roadmap or whatever else, there are dozens of us who are waiting patiently as you create your art and grant us further access into this charming world that you've created.

Thank you Naughty, I truly mean that. Your game is the one that I look forward to the most, and I'm so excited to see what you have in store for us, when it's ready to be shared.

Please take care of yourself and your family, and take pride knowing that something you've created is drawing such strong emotions from people! Both the good and the misguided less than good lol
I wish I was this eloquent. I'll simply say that I agree that this is one of, if not the best game in dev right now. Many of us would prefer that Naughty keep the quality up rather than rush to get the next release out.

Thanks for the great story / game!

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
okay so I'm reading the guide/walkthrough... but I have one question, does pursuing brooke's path cut off any content with macy? or just change a few +'s into -'s in terms of love/anger (but not enough to ruin macy's route?)

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
okay so I'm reading the guide/walkthrough... but I have one question, does pursuing brooke's path cut off any content with macy? or just change a few +'s into -'s in terms of love/anger (but not enough to ruin macy's route?)
Nope, anything that'll lock out the wards will be clearly marked as such. You won't miss out any content by pursuing any of the other available characters.

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
Well quality takes time. In the last update even the extra characters out of focus where blinking. That is it's own kind of dedication to quality. By itself it makes me wait with envy for the next chapter. For the amount of content each chapter brings it is not less than an other solo dev would bring in the same amountof time. The subjects brought in the story are also not easy to takkle and are masterfully manuverd. it is almost as if Naugty is omnipotent.

Put on silly hat: then Naugty why don't you make a production chain for Sierra bot, put bears to rest, make the perfect trebuchet and bring on an era of world peace?

Jokes asside thank you for your hard work!!!!!!

Apr 16, 2020
The game will come Eventually and the Update is speedy, why bother being so needy

Till he updates The progress thing and keep people in touch about it and doesn't take a Hiatus and no contact for about 1-2 years and then gives a smol update saying deal with it then disappears to get some milk

we gucci

drhotrod

Aug 18, 2019
There is no point in complaining about the release timing of new chapters. Sure a 5-6 month cycle would be better like with chapters 1-5, ch6 took nearly a year because it was big, probably equal to two previous chapters. Looking at the progression so far, ch7 looks to be even bigger. That would make it at least a December release.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
To anyone complaining.. you obviously havent waited on star citizen or guild 3 to come out!! Patience young frapwalker! :)
Waited and still waiting for the complete FF7 Remake. The waiting for this update is peanuts to me.
Also waiting for my children to leave the house.....
And for my sierra bot.

I am the king of the waiting game :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes