naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)regarding VN design, was making more VNs after LoML in the cards for you, or is this some kind of one-off passion project only? Or have you not even thought about it that much? Sorry, I know this game isn't even done yet, just think this game is so good, it would be cool to know you plan on making others until you get sick of it :giggle:(y)
Oh yeah, definitely I'd like to make another VN after this, this time round possibly in a fantastical setting of some sort. I have a few ideas and I've written myself a few elevator pitches to capture ideas bubbling up, but for now the focus is still fully on LomL.

Lord Bradley

May 28, 2019
Oh yeah, definitely I'd like to make another VN after this
Do you enjoy creating the story/imagining scenes/writing conversations or actually making the game in terms of scripts/models/mechanics more? Or is it pretty balanced?

If someone wrote out a game and only part missing would be visuals/mechanics, would you create that or refuse because you don't get to write anything?

Kulman

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
Read the note on OP from the Moderators:
View attachment 2175092
Chapter 5 took about a year.
Chapter 6 took about a year.
Chapter 7 is going to take about a year or a little more.
The developer shares weekly progress updates on his work - no one is in the dark, except those that willingly choose the blindness of ignorance and entitlement.

Now, go troll somewhere else.
No need to be that defensive. I think his point is that when the updates are this long, people lose interest, start forgetting the story (I know I do) etc. It can also be harder to keep on track for the dev when they have such a long period of update time.
Having 4-5 deadlines per year is generally much more effective for self discipline and time management than year +.

Also, a lot of games here with extremely long update times end up in limbo, so that again warrants his concern to a certain degree.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Do you enjoy creating the story/imagining scenes/writing conversations or actually making the game in terms of scripts/models/mechanics more? Or is it pretty balanced?

If someone wrote out a game and only part missing would be visuals/mechanics, would you create that or refuse because you don't get to write anything?
Honestly, I don't think so. I can image a colab if it's in place from the start, but both aspects are equally important for the outcome of the work, I think. There's many a times when I'm adjusting or adding visuals to fit in with a late edit to the story, or to improve timing and pacing when it's off, and equally many times when I'm working on the visuals and get an idea for a neat visual moment that I then adjust the script for. Some really great moments came from those sort of changes. If one or the other was set in stone or some other persons exclusive domain, I'd lose that ability to ad-lib and that would be a waste I feel.

(...)
Having 4-5 deadlines per year is generally much more effective for self discipline and time management than year +.
(...)
True for technical projects where there's no real downside to doing incremental updates, but it doesn't work for LomL any more than it would when releasing a single movie in incremental bits over a period of time, each release adding something like some new special effects replacing some of the green screens still in there, the pick up shots they did last month, or replacing the placeholder score with the final one, etc.
Unlike a sandbox, a VN usually is played once, and there's no do-overs and iterating on it, it's all or nothing.

To keep a sense of urgency to deliver, the weekly progress updates work just fine as a constant reminder that I shouldn't be spending a several days fiddling on getting the textures of a shoe right that's only visible in half a dozen frames. :D

darlic

Feb 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind an update every 6 months rather than a full year, that would mean half the content but it will still be a lot of content, knowing how long a single chapter lasts. So, for the sake of entertainment, I would prefer it this way.

But, at the same time, I don't want Naughty Road to disrupt his current work plan, as we all know it showed to be working flawlessly so far. So, all things considered, I don't really mind playing the waiting game either :), the next update will eventually come up and it will be a total banger, as always.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
No need to be that defensive. I think his point is that when the updates are this long, people lose interest, start forgetting the story (I know I do) etc. It can also be harder to keep on track for the dev when they have such a long period of update time.

Also, a lot of games here with extremely long update times end up in limbo, so that again warrants his concern to a certain degree.
To be honest, I'm in the "it's done when it's done" camp, but your point about losing track and losing interest is valid in many cases...but not necessarily with LoML. I think the VNs where your statement is most accurate is where there is a high degree of complexity (poorly told spy stories, sci-fi, etc.) and / or a large number of characters. There are VNs that have 20 romantic interests, 5 subplots and are so full of "filler" that I can't remember a fricken thing between releases and ultimately walk away from them.

LoML is different in that it is first and foremost a compelling story and that stays with me between chapters. In fact, I consider this to be a episodic graphic story and the release cadence for this kind of entertainment has historically been years, not months. I anxiously await developments in LoML the same way that we used to with franchise films and TV season cliffhangers, with vivid memories of what challenges that the family had faced in the last chapter and excited curiosity about where Naughty will next go with the story.

I think that many long-time fans of the game get a little tired of people that just parachute into this thread and start suggesting to/telling/demanding that Naughty produce according to their whim and didn't bother to read that:
- This is a labor of love for Naughty
- He has a career and family
- He's putting another job's worth of effort into this already

...yeah, maybe we get a little defensive on Naughty's behalf but that's only because of the amount of trolling that has taken place in this thread.

Last edited:

Kulman

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
...yeah, maybe we get a little defensive on Naughty's behalf but that's only because of the amount of trolling that has taken place in this thread.
I’m sorry but almost a year for a single effing update is ridiculous. Should this game not be considered abandoned?
Yeah I see what you mean :KEK:

gilgamesh9

Sep 10, 2019
Honestly IMO this games is the best on this site hands down! Even if it takes a year to release an update you still you more then you would from pretty much any other Dev on here. You could follow Stoper and wait practically a year for 10 to maybe 15 minutes worth of uselessness lmao. I usually dont follow the romance incest stories but this one is fucking great! The story and character growth of all characters is amazing, no other game even comes close to capturing it. The renders are great as well. All in all IMO 10/10.

A.K.A87

Feb 3, 2021
I’m sorry but almost a year for a single effing update is ridiculous. Should this game not be considered abandoned?
2 messages in 2 years,, and you got 8 facepalms on just this on.
You really should rethink your commenting on F95.

Long time between updates is how games die .....
No not really. Most games on here are works in progress for at least 2 years,,, well ,, the good ones anyway.
They only way games die is when the dev team starts missing release dates and/or starts hiding from their patrons, giving lame ass excuses (my dog at my hardrive).

We don't have that here: Dev is very vocal here, keeps us updated and what not... + most of the people here would wait for every update for over a year because we think it is worth it.

Besides,,, even when a whole dev team actually does do all the shitty things i mentioned and then releases a update after a year worth shit, people still eat it up,, just look at Radiant :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022
It should if there are no updates in 18 months. I believe that is the rule set by the moderators of this website regardless of whether or not the developer is actually working on it. This game has not been updated for about a year - there are still a few months left for it to get the abandoned tag.

If you dont like long update cycles (I dont either as I lose interest after a few months) you should put this game on ignore and pick it up only when it is completed. Looking at the update history the game has had long update cycles and I dont think that is going to change.

Reactions: Dremel

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
*slips into Cpt Obvious mode*

View attachment 2179535

Not only are pregnant women beautiful, the reason we have a thing called sex is to produce more generations, hence, pregnant women. They're that miracle that brings forth the bratty kids wonderful children. They're the miraculous reason that evolution (or whatever you wanna call it) gave us what we call:

View attachment 2179530

Long live the pregnant women!

(I mean, without 'em we wouldn't be here to shitpost).
Let's not forget squirty boob milk! So fucking hot when getting busy!!! [Self - "Yes I know you need to feed our daughter, but can you save some for me plz???"]

While were at it one of my kinks is wonky boobs {fucking seriously Denise's nipples have their own time zone and Macy's big boobs with puffy nipples just leave me gobsmacked!!!} I made jokes before about Macy on the back of my Harley but I do often fantasize about her "Property Of MC" trampstamp while replaying the previous releases...

Jan 22, 2019
I think it helps for me at least, to think of what Naughty is doing here to be less like one of those dime a dozen VNs that are decent but nothing special, and more like a well written TV series. Every year you get a new season, you enjoy it, you relish it, you spazz about it, and then you wait at the edge of your seat till the next season.

Remember true quality takes time, so don't rush the talent. Naughty has truly made something very special here. Let's not burden him with mean messages or complaints. We all get passionate because we all genuinely care. Deep down we all want the same thing. So lets keep a positive attitude about all of this.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes