tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
As outlined in my previous post, I've spent this week working on the initial main quest content out in the Fields area.
Oh hey, it's the thing she's been saying since like... February. I guess the one encounter is finally finished after four months and we're onto writing the quest... which was supposed to be done at the beginning of February, nope, end of February, nope, beginning of March, nope, fuck it, I need a month off, yup! end of April, nope... beginning of March (minus any of the promised content. Or features.)

Or, you know, June of last year.

Close enough.

The rest of it is just dealing with the fact that the game is horribly designed in the exact way we talked to death for a few months. Right around the time the site mods decided that we can't talk about how this game has influenced a number of us designing our own games. Specifically in the "don't do this" and a "yeah, obviously you should design your game to have an easy and moddable content workflow from the start" areas.

I still argue that talking about how a game is a perfect example of how not to design a game is "on topic" when you're specifically talking about a specific game's mistakes. But I guess that leads to discussions of system design where the obvious designs aren't relevant to this game.

Aw well.

The important part is that the dev is just now starting on the quest that we've been told was being worked on since the terrible Nyan rework months ago. So we should see the v0.4.0 content coming out a few months after v0.4.0.

Edit: Also, I noticed that the previous blog post had been edited a few days later to address the fact that comments are still disabled, when the only place that was really brought up much was in this thread. Just a nice reminder to us all that you're reading this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pencil8526

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Hi, I'm getting this error on Mac
I was able to replicate this on my Mac. Turns out the Oracle JRE 8 installer only installs the browser plugin, so it will never be used when you try to launch it via Finder (or even through the command line without some finagling). Instead, it would try to use the OpenJDK 14 install that comes with macOS, which doesn't have JavaFX support built in (neither does your installed copy of JDK 12—Oracle removed JavaFX from JDK 11 in favor of OpenJFX, which is a separate SDK).

One approach I was able to use to get working was to use the Terminal to force it to launch using the JRE embedded in the browser plugin:

Code:
/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar LilithsThrone_0_4.jar
It's definitely a bit unwieldy. :/ If you aren't comfortable with using a shell, I attached a script that will do this for you. Just unzip it and move it into the same directory as the JAR file. Running the script (you should be able to just run it from Finder) will launch the game using Oracle JRE 8.

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
I recently formatted my PC and I'm still getting a few things prepped. I do plan on playing Lilith's Throne again, some time in the future... eventually. I know it requires an outdated version of Java but I was just wondering if it's ok to stick with the newest, most stable version or if that's going to cause too many issues down the road. Or should I should just stick the .exe version?

throbzombie

Oct 15, 2020
I recently formatted my PC and I'm still getting a few things prepped. I do plan on playing Lilith's Throne again, some time in the future... eventually. I know it requires an outdated version of Java but I was just wondering if it's ok to stick with the newest, most stable version or if that's going to cause too many issues down the road. Or should I should just stick the .exe version?
I'd stick with the .exe unless you want to mod it.

Reactions: IvoryOwl

Welwigo

Apr 12, 2021
It's very strange that there are a host of sex actions you can do, but you can't actually frot with your partner. That's a weird oversight.
There's a lot of things that seem more straightforward that haven't been added, as far as I know. Adding your own tattoos is one (without modding the existing tattoos, that is). You can add modifiers and add custom text, but actually replacing the .svg images and giving them new names requires modding the game. Which, before 4.0 made modding core to the game, was a bitch. Tribal tattoos haven't been a popular thing for almost twenty years, yet there's two options for them. And three options for tattoos that act as counters, that can all count for different stats. But my character can't have a sleeve or a yakuza back for some reason.

Adjusting individual non-sexual body part size and build is another. A lot of men have a big stomach but strong arms, and a lot of women have muscled legs but are otherwise pudgy. Plus being able to make a human monstrosity where my character's legs are taller than most NBA players but they're otherwise normally proportioned sounds perfectly in line with the rest of the game's silliness. I mean, you can grow friggin' slime wings and fuck people in the dickhole with your six foot long clit that's twice as long as you are tall.

Third is just not being able to tell companions to quit their jobs and come fuck and pillage poor passersby with you. I can invite them to my character's house, I can fill the entire map with their progeny, I can transform them into whatever the fuck without any resistance... But I can't make them quit their jobs? "Whoops, it's eight o'clock! I gotta go to work!" I know she quit the companion system halfway through because her Discord choir were hounding her for more Nyan and centaur lady bullshit, but this was a problem even before 3.8.

Simp Cattu

Feb 5, 2019
I'm hoping to have that done and have the preview version of 0.4.0.5 released by the end of this next week, although there's a small chance it might take me a few extra days to get things finished off.
I'll make another progress post some time during the middle of next week, probably on Wednesday night. I hope to have a decent amount of progress to report to you by then!
Well isn't that just Inno. She promised to release 0.4 last week, gave out an update with barely any 0.4 contents to shut up people who kept screaming about the date, and keeps delaying the *real* 0.4 even further. To quote her post earlier: " Even if I'm not totally happy with some of the content still being placeholders, I figure that it's better at this stage to get at least something released to you and then focus on fleshing it out in 0.4.1". Yeah, where are those placeholders now? Even with placeholders she still could not be on time and asked for another 2 weeks? Should we expect another month until Inno release 4.0.5 with full of placeholders which she claimed to release last week, and then another year until all the PH contents are replaced with functional contents?
I'm thinking about the future of the game if Inno keeps working at this rate. Which version will Inno start working only on the barebones of the canon story events, and let other modders flesh out the rest of the game for her? And when will she drop the game entirely, leaving its fate to others' hands, like what happened to Free Cities?

Simp Cattu

Feb 5, 2019
Third is just not being able to tell companions to quit their jobs and come fuck and pillage poor passersby with you. I can invite them to my character's house, I can fill the entire map with their progeny, I can transform them into whatever the fuck without any resistance... But I can't make them quit their jobs? "Whoops, it's eight o'clock! I gotta go to work!" I know she quit the companion system halfway through because her Discord choir were hounding her for more Nyan and centaur lady bullshit, but this was a problem even before 3.8.
Can't you tell them to quite their job already? Once they're employed, talk to them at home when they're not following you and not at work, there will be a button with red text that tells them to quit their current job. You can then set them to seek for 'none' job, which makes them become unemployed indefinitely.

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
I just installed the latest version and turned on auto-updates. This game isn't worth the security hole just because the developer isn't competent enough to keep up with Java patches. Yes, I am aware that they made the entire game dependent on outdated and replaced tech, and that would take *updating the game* to deal with. Can't have that.

I try both the jar and exe versions when I play (which I might do again, if v0.40 every comes out)

Generally, even with the wrong version of Java installed the jar is more stable and runs faster. By a significant amount at that.

I'm thinking about the future of the game if Inno keeps working at this rate. Which version will Inno start working only on the barebones of the canon story events, and let other modders flesh out the rest of the game for her? And when will she drop the game entirely, leaving its fate to others' hands, like what happened to Free Cities?
This game makes money, for some damn reason. So it'll never get dropped. The whole 'milk it forever while releasing barely anything' strategy is working perfectly, why change it?

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
I just installed the latest version and turned on auto-updates. This game isn't worth the security hole just because the developer isn't competent enough to keep up with Java patches.
Java 8 is still a supported release that receives security updates so there's no danger in using it. It's still the version that Oracle pushes on their front page, despite JRE 11 also being an LTS release (likely due to Oracle chopping the JRE into tiny fucking ribbons…). It's only really an issue for non-Windows users. On macOS Oracle only distributes it as a Safari plugin, and many Linux distros don't even offer the Oracle JRE 8 anymore.

The bigger issue in LT's case is that JRE 15+ drops support for Nashorn JS and that's impossible to easily work around. LT can easily be retargeted to JRE 14 without incident, but the loss of Nashorn is a bigger hurdle that requires some pretty significant refactoring to overcome as this affects the way the game parses all of its XMLs. This is what my SpEL branch hopes to address, though my implementation thus far is far from perfect (variable scope being the biggest issue at this time) and there's no way to really avoid having to rewrite the XMLs that use embedded JS.

Honestly, I can't really blame Inno for this issue at all. Compared to muh boi .NET, Java seems to be a pretty difficult target to keep up with. A lot of Oracle's changes are likely to trim the fat from the JRE, but they're doing it with the elegance and grace of a beached manatee. They went from Nashorn being the shiny, new, first-party supported JS target to it being deprecated in 4 years (which, I should point out, is over a year after LT started development) and completely gone in 6. That's insane.

FrootLoggs

Nov 7, 2019
Is there a way to ensure your child doesn't end up in the streets? Feels really dissapointing to find out that I can't raise my child to be a progeny party member. Also why is it that my child ends up on the streets instead of staying with me?

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Is there a way to ensure your child doesn't end up in the streets? Feels really dissapointing to find out that I can't raise my child to be a progeny party member. Also why is it that my child ends up on the streets instead of staying with me?
Nope.

anon707

Jun 13, 2018
You children leave because apparently in this world when children are born they grow up really fast and they have the instinctual desire to grow up and be independent so they leave the moment they're fully mature so there's no raising children.

starlan

Aug 30, 2018
I was able to replicate this on my Mac. Turns out the Oracle JRE 8 installer only installs the browser plugin, so it will never be used when you try to launch it via Finder (or even through the command line without some finagling). Instead, it would try to use the OpenJDK 14 install that comes with macOS, which doesn't have JavaFX support built in (neither does your installed copy of JDK 12—Oracle removed JavaFX from JDK 11 in favor of OpenJFX, which is a separate SDK).

One approach I was able to use to get working was to use the Terminal to force it to launch using the JRE embedded in the browser plugin:

Code:
/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar LilithsThrone_0_4.jar
It's definitely a bit unwieldy. :/ If you aren't comfortable with using a shell, I attached a script that will do this for you. Just unzip it and move it into the same directory as the JAR file. Running the script (you should be able to just run it from Finder) will launch the game using Oracle JRE 8.
Script works great so far, you're a godsend!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sarkath

Welwigo

Apr 12, 2021
What the actual fuck are you talking about? That is simply not true.
As of 3.9, as far as I had been able to figure out, once they were living with you, if you keep straightening out their life, eventually they get a job. I don't remember if you could ask them to stop searching before they actually found employment. I do remember that if you added them into your party while they have a job, at eight every morning they disappear to go to work. The only way to stop this was to kick them out of the house after they came back from work and then invite them back again, or enslave them. You couldn't get them to quit their job otherwise. This might've been a bug I encountered, but it persisted through multiple playthroughs I had.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes