FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
To all of you saying that it is better to focus on one project only, it is clear that none of you ever done any creative work.

No, it is NOT better to have only ONE project. In fact, 2 may not be enough.

When you are creating, you will hit dry patches where you can't, no matter how much effort you put into it, go further. That's when the second, third or whatever project, comes into play. You change to that project and sometime later when you return to the one with a road block, you find that you are now able to continue.

That is absolutely recommended.

Cr8tive M3dia do as you feel and know that works for you.

Peace :(

Milton749

Engaged Member
Jul 26, 2023
To all of you saying that it is better to focus on one project only, it is clear that none of you ever done any creative work.

When you are creating, you will hit dry patches where you can't, no matter how much effort you put into it, go further. That's when the second, third or whatever project, comes into play. You change to that project and sometime later when you return to the one with a road block, you find that you are now able to continue.

It also helps with stopping burnout too. Being able to switch off from one project and focus on another, before switching back.

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021

Alternating between projects will likely reduce the frequency of "dry patches" as well. Jus' Sayin':cool:

Beast Within

Nov 9, 2017
Highly succesfull novelists do that all the time. in their case though they have both the experience and the self discipline to set the "rules" on their side projects. usualy they keep it small and completely different from their main setting to clear their minds. I know of people who even got new ideas for the main project from the side one.
for an inexperienced author it has its risks but it also comes with merits.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
It also helps with stopping burnout too. Being able to switch off from one project and focus on another, before switching back.
As a software engineer I usually have 5 to ten projects at a given time. Sometimes I focus hard on one for a week or two but usually it's a revolving door of working til I hit a roadblock, and while my brain's figuring that out I switch to working on something else.

Last edited:

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
As a software engineer I usually have 5 to ten projects at a given time. Sometimes I focus hard on one for a week or two but usually it's a revolving door of working til I hit a roadblock, abd while my brain's figuring that out I switch to working on something else.
I get that aspect. But for me, I focus on the job ahead in order to get it done. If I am forced to switch gears, which I have been a few times, it throws me off and that is what causes me strife. But everyone is different.

Reactions: EJW and Wolfeszorn

Cr8tive M3dia

Developer of Limitless & OctoPussy Island
Game Developer
May 19, 2020
I get that aspect. But for me, I focus on the job ahead in order to get it done. If I am forced to switch gears, which I have been a few times, it throws me off and that is what causes me strife. But everyone is different.
I get fully into it when I'm doing it.. like completing Day 6... It never crossed my mind to work on OPI when I was focused on getting Day 6 all done, however now that Day 6 has been complete, i will give my self a little time away from Limitless and work on getting an update out for OPI to mix it up a little.

I had the idea of OPI (In fact I have several VN game ideas on the backburner) when i was waiting for images to fully render for Limitless, think I had 350 images rendering in a queue, so decided to use my other system and get working on this new game, OPI. It was being mentioned in other people games and as such I had to get an initial release out. If it wasn't being asked about, I would have just waited and got more content done, but alas I had to get what I had done out.

Now it's come to a point where more people are asking about an update, so I have decided to spent a little time on getting a bit more done on it, and re-charge a little with Limitless, before just right back into Day 7.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Forced to, and able to at your leisure are very different things.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I get fully into it when I'm doing it.. like completing Day 6... It never crossed my mind to work on OPI when I was focused on getting Day 6 all done, however now that Day 6 has been complete, i will give my self a little time away from Limitless and work on getting an update out for OPI to mix it up a little.

I had the idea of OPI (In fact I have several VN game ideas on the backburner) when i was waiting for images to fully render for Limitless, think I had 350 images rendering in a queue, so decided to use my other system and get working on this new game, OPI. It was being mentioned in other people games and as such I had to get an initial release out. If it wasn't being asked about, I would have just waited and got more content done, but alas I had to get what I had done out.

Now it's come to a point where more people are asking about an update, so I have decided to spent a little time on getting a bit more done on it, and re-charge a little with Limitless, before just right back into Day 7.
Yeah. I'm not judging anyone for how they cope with things. I'm just different. It's like how I develop. I code and write at the same time. Not many can do it and even though some can, they don't. We all do things differently and that's fine. Bitching about how a dev does things is just bs in my opinion. Each dev is different. I know a dev who has severe ADHD and depression. He does things in order to cope with it. If he pushes too far, depression sets in and that's not a good thing. If he doesn't push enough, same thing happens.

I have PTSD and I do things a certain way to keep my mind active. If not, things get bad for me. Anyway, just my 2¢.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Yeah. I'm not judging anyone for how they cope with things. I'm just different. It's like how I develop. I code and write at the same time. Not many can do it and even though some can, they don't. We all do things differently and that's fine. Bitching about how a dev does things is just bs in my opinion. Each dev is different. I know a dev who has severe ADHD and depression. He does things in order to cope with it. If he pushes too far, depression sets in and that's not a good thing. If he doesn't push enough, same thing happens.

I have PTSD and I do things a certain way to keep my mind active. If not, things get bad for me. Anyway, just my 2¢.
I hear ya... also PTSD, also ADHD, also chronically depressed, if I don't hop around on a few projects, I stall... then give up. I have a loooooong list of unfinished stuff, that I no longer even remember where I was going with it...

My solution: Unscheduled, refuse to organize, write when I feel like it, on the project I feel like writing on. Some days I get 2000 words, others zero, others 500... it doesn't matter, if I don't do it this way, it's a certain zero. ANY progress is progress. Even if it is on the 15th project that will probably never be finished before I croak... Then I go take a nap and wake up with an idea for project #9...

Limitless is a good story, but, if the author loses the will to work on it, we all lose. If instead, he spends a few weeks working on OPI, and then comes back to this one refreshed and raring to go... we all gain.

Peace :)

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
It maybe nothing since this occurred at the end of this Day 6 part four update, ignore and splash says to rollback for save.

```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/ReplayGallery.rpy", line 21, in <module>
NameError: name 'repnotif' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "day_06.rpyc", line 11983, in script call
File "ReplayGallery.rpyc", line 21, in script
File "G:\Adult\Limitless\Limitless-Day6_Part4-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1131, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "G:\Adult\Limitless\Limitless-Day6_Part4-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1061, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/ReplayGallery.rpy", line 21, in <module>
NameError: name 'repnotif' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.22000 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Limitless Day6_Part4
Wed Jul 10 21:35:25 2024
```

Reactions: denen
3.90 star(s) 51 Votes