bramdalf

Aug 1, 2017
People keeps making Legend of Krystal games?
And they'll keep making them until one eventually is finished.

The one where you can assign a schedule was probably finished, been so long I cant remember. Was it a flash game? If so then there is also a remake waiting to happen :LOL:

Pluto_Storm

Sep 3, 2023
LMAO, people in this thread talking about it getting abandoned or never being completed. The way I see it: the 1.0 version uploaded now has a corruption story from start to finish and there are enough animations and interactions where the game is functionally complete. Any future updates would be for adding more dialog and animations.
As for a story ending: currently Krystal goes from wanting the Chief to find her ship parts to giving up and wanting to stay. That is probably about as good of an ending as I could write.

In other words: place your expectations for future updates in the trash and just be pleasantly surprised if a good update does happen. Enjoy the game for what it is. Or not. I am not going to tell you how to live your life.

kzdah12

Aug 7, 2017
LOL i was right all the time i warn you guys this dude keep flash point his own game for money ignore this...

Gibbsin

Dec 22, 2018
god damn i've been fapping to LOK for like 13 years at this point. I can't belive it's still going strong

Pluto_Storm

Sep 3, 2023
Alright, so here I go with my take on this...

When I found out about it this morning, I thought this was coming from other guys at the old LOKR thread who said they'd make my LOK:Rebirth version worth of content by Christmas, using Kuja's graphics and my rigged Spine models and animations by ripping them off from the game.

From that statement, two things offended me:

a) The fact they take for granted that they could just take our work, regardless if the project is no more.

b) Thinking they can make what I did in two years, with that level of detail, in six months.

So, I publicly laughed at them and made a mental note to return there on Dec 25th to laugh at them a second time.

And now, this comes up. A Ren'Py VN (not a side-scroller) which the creator doesn't even hide the fact has stolen the assets from our old game.

But the name of this guy doesn't match the one of that other guy so full of himself, so now I'm confused and only see two explanations for this:

a) This is indeed THAT promised amazing game that would show me how it's done.

If that's the case, please let me laugh at them again, just a lot louder. Because when you open this you're received by a game that has:

- No music
- No sound
- No expressions
- No new animations
- No layer sorting

...and no future content is possible for very obvious reasons.

b) Or... this Pluto guy is just a fan, a very creative one to boot, and thought it was okay to just take the assets because the game is labeled as "abandoned".

And if this is the real case here, well... let me say to you a couple of things, Pluto_Storm

1.) You should really have asked for our permission.

I think that's a no-brainer, and no amount of "buts" justify not doing that. Especially because this sets a very dangerous precedent.

Unity SUCKS at protecting their users' work, that's no secret. But that doesn't mean everything unprotected is ripe for the taking. If I have tomatos in my garden, it's still not okay for you to pick them because I don't have a Doberman at the entrance.

That said...

2.) Good job, man.

Lol... you've done what you could with the models, didn't use the assets you couldn't use for technical reasons, and made something worth an hour or two of play.

I've had some laughs with your dialogue and I can say you're an actual fan of the old game. So... even though I was mad this morning, I can't be mad at you anymore.

Now, you may want to clarify that this project isn't a full-fledged game that you'll be able to expand to the infinite as people here think. Maybe you should ask for a 'Completed' tag to avoid wild expectations.

Also, note I just speak for myself on this. Kuja may think the same as me or not. I think he won't mind much.
Hi Abelius.

About the guys working on a reboot: I remember reading about it on the other thread but I forgot that was a thing lol. We will see what happens there. But yeah, I am just a random fan who threw together this short 'game'.

To the first point: you are right I should have asked for permission. From my perspective, I was playing around learning Ren'Py and how to export the animations for fun, and then I decided to wrap a story around it and put the game on here so others could see it. The idea of asking for permission just didn't pass my brain. Sorry about that.

To your second point: Thanks Abelius. That means a lot coming from you. I don't know how to make an actual game. Ren'Py is easy and I wanted to see what I could do with it. I should add the 'Completed' tag and try to minimize peoples expectations lol. You were the creative mind in the original project right? Hopefully you can forgive me for character and story changes.

MightyAltroll

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2017
Hey, I'm Vlad the writer for Lok:R, I heard about this through the grapevine and wasn't exactly sure what to think of it at first when I was told someone was making a game from our assets.

I would have preferred you ask us permission (Abel/Kuja/Myself) before using our old assets, but after seeing it's just a neat fan project, I'm actually kind of impressed. Flattered, actually.

If you want to hang out on our discord and talk about the game hit me up, but please if you're going to do stuff like this in the future, regardless of whose project you're using assets from, just ask for permission first so you don't get in trouble.

It's a bad precedent to set if people just start hacking assets out of unity games to steal and use for their own projects. Cheers.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jaffarpok316

kuja027

Sep 1, 2019
Hello, this is Kuja (LOK and LOKR artist). I find your project quite intriguing. The more Krystal games, the merrier, but I must express my disappointment that you've chosen to undertake it by borrowing someone else's (my own) artwork without obtaining their (my) consent. I vividly recall the years I spent as a silent observer in the old forums before mustering the courage to embark on my own creative journey. Back then, I couldn't even draw, let alone speak English, but through a lot of effort I persevered. Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to always seek permission first.

That being said, your talent is evident, and I would humbly and respectfully suggest exploring a more distinctive and or unique path if you decide to work on new projects in the future.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jaffarpok316

Pluto_Storm

Sep 3, 2023
Hello, this is Kuja (LOK and LOKR artist). I find your project quite intriguing. The more Krystal games, the merrier, but I must express my disappointment that you've chosen to undertake it by borrowing someone else's (my own) artwork without obtaining their (my) consent. I vividly recall the years I spent as a silent observer in the old forums before mustering the courage to embark on my own creative journey. Back then, I couldn't even draw, let alone speak English, but through a lot of effort I persevered. Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to always seek permission first.

That being said, your talent is evident, and I would humbly and respectfully suggest exploring a more distinctive and or unique path if you decide to work on new projects in the future.
Hi MightyAltroll, Kuja, Abelius
I appreciate you all coming here and commenting directly. You are right that I should have asked for permission and I would like to apologize to you all directly. I am sorry for stealing your work without permission and running forward with it. I should have reached out at the beginning when I was tinkering with the assets, but especially before putting it my product on F95. I am just a new person who thought I could scrap something together from pieces of a project I really liked and was too dumb to think about what I was actually doing while doing it. If there are any actions I can take to help fix this wrong, let me know. The least I can do is put links to your ongoing projects on this game so at least people who see my stolen content know where to go.

After each of you voiced your disappointment in me, you also gave me direct complements. I don't think I earned those complements but I greatly appreciate the kind words. Especially considering you are giving them to a person who stole your work.
I think I am too shy to talk to you in discord or anything like that, but know that I have a lot of respect for you all.

Juuzou_Juuzou

Oct 8, 2020
Hi Abelius.

About the guys working on a reboot: I remember reading about it on the other thread but I forgot that was a thing lol. We will see what happens there. But yeah, I am just a random fan who threw together this short 'game'.

To the first point: you are right I should have asked for permission. From my perspective, I was playing around learning Ren'Py and how to export the animations for fun, and then I decided to wrap a story around it and put the game on here so others could see it. The idea of asking for permission just didn't pass my brain. Sorry about that.

To your second point: Thanks Abelius. That means a lot coming from you. I don't know how to make an actual game. Ren'Py is easy and I wanted to see what I could do with it. I should add the 'Completed' tag and try to minimize peoples expectations lol. You were the creative mind in the original project right? Hopefully you can forgive me for character and story changes.
if I were you, I would do the same thing

You are doing great!

MightyAltroll

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2017
Hi MightyAltroll, Kuja, Abelius
I appreciate you all coming here and commenting directly. You are right that I should have asked for permission and I would like to apologize to you all directly. I am sorry for stealing your work without permission and running forward with it. I should have reached out at the beginning when I was tinkering with the assets, but especially before putting it my product on F95. I am just a new person who thought I could scrap something together from pieces of a project I really liked and was too dumb to think about what I was actually doing while doing it. If there are any actions I can take to help fix this wrong, let me know. The least I can do is put links to your ongoing projects on this game so at least people who see my stolen content know where to go.

After each of you voiced your disappointment in me, you also gave me direct complements. I don't think I earned those complements but I greatly appreciate the kind words. Especially considering you are giving them to a person who stole your work.
I think I am too shy to talk to you in discord or anything like that, but know that I have a lot of respect for you all.

No worries. If you want to put some of this energy and creativity into Lok, you're welcome to share your ideas with me on discord or through PMs.

Otherwise, it's nice to see someone passionate about our project. (y)

Reactions: Pararela

aigimilan

Oct 9, 2017
This game was made using assets from the abandoned LoK Rebirth game by Kuja and Abelius. Please go support their ongoing projects.
Isn't their ongoing project just more of remaking the same remake? Their patreon and website both seem to imply that LoK:rererere is still their ongoing active project.

Yeah this is like remake number 5 of that game.

They never get finished. This one won't either. Same team same name same model looks like.

This will make it to version 0.0.8 and then we won't hear about it again unti LoK rebirth remake reimagined using all the same assets comes out as a 0.0.0.0.0.0 tech demo.
Deja vu.

And it's using assets they seem to be using themselves. I'm curious what the intended future of this project is, if the art team behind the assets lifted to make this game is "still making" their version of this game.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
Well, the truth is that I expected something else. I thought it was going to be an updated version of the previous version, and that's why I had my doubts on how new things would be done, but basically in a visual novel with a gallery of sex scenes. It put the honey on my lips, but at least it made me remember how good the characters and animations looked in rebirth.

Sub-T

Nov 9, 2021
I understand there's no ill will here from the original developers for Pluto_Storm but I do find it interesting the level of concern they have for "stealing content" when it was PlayShapes content that some of them were also "stealing" many, many years ago without permission before PlayShapes himself abandoned the original LoK game and the LoK forums were established. Especially one of them, who was taking assets and animating them to make his own content until that unfortunate day that PlayShapes decided to give up entirely on H games. If there's no monetization, as well as no clear goal in sight of projects by said particular developers ever being completed, then this just falls under a fan parody or even a "tech demo" show casing the capabilities of a potentially new developers effort, passion and skill at handling assets from another game they're not familiar with especially when many are quick to steal content and throw up a patreon/fantia/subscribestar etc etc

Let me be clear, having had the same thing happen to myself in the real world I know full well the bitterness that it can bring to see content you made being used by other people for other things without your consent but this isn't any different from say the thousands of Artificial Academy or Honey Select games, who by the way are making money from something they didn't initially create themselves and were almost ruined when Illusion tried to crack down on people monetizing their assets. Many developers get a lot of flack and hatred for behaving negatively towards projects using assets they created, Nintendo is a fine example of this and also a fine example of how being over protective brings bad publicity and spitefulness within a community and drives people away

While the reputation of some of the LoK:Rebirth developers is controversial in some places, I am glad they took the right stance here and didn't lose their minds demanding that it be taken down or calling for justice but instead helped make him see things in a different light and how people should approach matters in the future. I do wonder though, if Pluto_Storm had gone to them and asked if it was okay to use the assets for this would they have accepted? Either way if you're reading this Pluto then I wish you luck on your developing endeavours, more luck than some other developers deserve that's for sure

2.30 star(s) 9 Votes