Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

anon707

Jun 13, 2018
lol how is there already a review for this game? this can hardly even be considered a vertical slice but reviewed anyway cause why not? Look, you can have your thoughts and feel how you want bout the last project, but giving it a review when it cant even be considered a game yet is pretty low. Im not trying to simp for the devs or say give it a chance or anything like that, its just kinda low to score it when there's nothing to score. The review is to suppose to be for giving a critical and objective view of the game to inform others looking at it, not to vent your frustrations over something that cant even be called a product yet.

Ellioto

Sep 26, 2017
so why did they cancel the old game and restart from scratch rather than just build upon what they already had?

kaboom

Jul 30, 2017
in fact, I think that do 10 years they remake and remake the game continuously. They had never done a game before.

Liero

Jun 13, 2018
lol they removed the reviews because people hate it :LOL::censored:

this was my review before it was removed: " This is a remake of a remake, that said the new assets look worse than the old ones (rebirth). Not sure why the devs decided they needed to overhaul the entire game again. I heard there was a falling out in the development team but I don't really care about that I care about the final product and this is definitely a downgrade in art style, animation, and overall direction. Very disappointed. " it was deemed 'inappropriate' by mod redknight00.
Maybe because making a review of something that is not intended to be a game, but proof of concept, is not the right way to go?
I sincerely doubt that LOK team have any real sway over the moderator team here on F95, so I suggest you check the rules and perhaps ask the mod in question as to why your review was removed.

What you are seeing now isn't even 1% of the game. Doubt it's even 0.5%. They had to present SOMETHING after a long time of nothing interactive for their backers, and for something that is basically pre-alpha, I believe it did the job it intended well enough.

They got the feedback they needed, they listened and are now fixing it to the best of their ability. I understand that people will be frustrated in regards to this whole "remake of a rebirth of a reawakening" ordeal, as it's not fun to watch something you perhaps backed get flushed down the drain.

But they have have had numerous explanations as to why that is the case, but it's not really working out. People twist their words, take them out of context or whatever else to fit the narrative of "lol ded gaem".

I think they should take the Hello games route. Be completely silent publicly, and just work until they have something. As that proved to be very effective for Hello games.

Jan 21, 2019
Or maybe, they're not interested in fostering negativity over issues which appear to be more hyperbole or outright fabrication, and which the one of the devs themselves already explained (and/or debunked) in a long-ass post.

Or, get this, they aren't interested in wasting their time on baseless conspiracy theories, which is what I'm seeing here quite a bit.

It's one thing if the reviews are something like Luna in the Tavern's, because that game has a legitimate grievance in the shitty patreon shilling locking out a good chunk of the game's functionality.

The review I saw was more like a rant over something that doesn't even address the game's content itself.

Edit: For people reading this in post, this was a reply to a post that has since been deleted, either by the moderators or the commentor themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRob

DefinitelyNotAFurry

Mar 2, 2020
Maybe because making a review of something that is not intended to be a game, but proof of concept, is not the right way to go?
I sincerely doubt that LOK team have any real sway over the moderator team here on F95, so I suggest you check the rules and perhaps ask the mod in question as to why your review was removed.

What you are seeing now isn't even 1% of the game. Doubt it's even 0.5%. They had to present SOMETHING after a long time of nothing interactive for their backers, and for something that is basically pre-alpha, I believe it did the job it intended well enough.

They got the feedback they needed, they listened and are now fixing it to the best of their ability. I understand that people will be frustrated in regards to this whole "remake of a rebirth of a reawakening" ordeal, as it's not fun to watch something you perhaps backed get flushed down the drain.

But they have have had numerous explanations as to why that is the case, but it's not really working out. People twist their words, take them out of context or whatever else to fit the narrative of "lol ded gaem".

I think they should take the Hello games route. Be completely silent publicly, and just work until they have something. As that proved to be very effective for Hello games.
counterpoint: if they keep remaking the remake of the remake of the remake, their game will never meet your arbitrary metric for how complete it needs to be to be worth criticism, and they'll be able to continue to fleece their patrons free from well-earned derision

anon707

Jun 13, 2018
counterpoint: if they keep remaking the remake of the remake of the remake, their game will never meet your arbitrary metric for how complete it needs to be to be worth criticism, and they'll be able to continue to fleece their patrons free from well-earned derision
this is the first remake... besides rebirth, they have absolutely nothing to do with any other LoK game. this is a reboot of the previous project. as their first reboot its not exactly an uncommon for it to happen, plenty of projects start over at least once especially if there is development fuckery. lets not pretend the last project was so far along and then pulled the plug at the last second. they could have just killed the last project and called it quits for good, but the fact they're trying again instead of doing nothing, staying quiet to collect money they're actually doing work.

jefferydomm

Jan 6, 2019
So as a patron and frequent participant in their Discord server, I feel I need to lay out the current situation of the game because this new thread has seemingly gotten worse than the old one and the front page feels extremely misleading to anyone that views it.

In August of last year, Abelius left the project(Reasons shall not be discussed, it happened, he's got a new project, lets move on.), and Kuja along with Vlad decided to reboot the game with the intent for it to be better. And by all accounts it would have been. They originally started with a remake that was exactly the same in design, just with a new codebase and tools. It was still a 2D game. However, along the way, they had some ideas they wanted to try out which led to a new 2.5D version of the game with 2D characters and eight direction sprites, as well as a 3D environment. There were many setbacks such as slow animation progress, learning curves, and just problems in the developers personal lives such as an entire hard drive filled with game data dying unexpectedly and a personal loss for Archie, the lead animator, in December. Eventually they hired on two more animators to speed up the progress of animations as well as trying to optimize their workflow. They've actually hired on enough people that Vlad has to take cuts to his own income to make sure these new people were paid as he really wanted this game to succeed.

Fast forward to June and we finally got the promised tech demo for their 2.5D vision. However, there are a lot of problems. Some great ideas that were worth trying to explore, and the tech demo was made for the purposes of feedback. If they had more time, they could have found a way to make the sprites work better with the backgrounds, however due to the growing impatience and frustration on the part of not just their patrons, but also fans, they have decided to revert to the original 2D plan, though they do still intend to finish the content for the tech demo as promised, as some of that, such as the sex scenes, are still to my knowledge intended for the full game at some point in time. But rest assured, if you do not like what you see in the tech demo, it is not what you will be getting anymore and the front page does the new version no justice, especially since the preview images are the old work in progress versions and not the finished ones.

To further my point about the new version, here are images from their Discord showing the progress of the new background art.

View attachment 778819
View attachment 778821
View attachment 778825
View attachment 778826

Keep in mind that these are not 100% finished, Kuja is still working on them. The shots with Krystal also aren't in-game, that was done merely to show the direction they're reverting to based on feedback to the tech demo. They're hoping to have backgrounds with multiple layers to show more depth and distance, possibly moving clouds, a background that moves faster than the foreground, etc. in addition to the possibility of dynamic time of day and weather which they are exploring.

As someone else pointed out, Krystal herself is customizable to a large extent, including hair, hair color, and fur color. One thing that also needs to be understood is that in the old version the characters were drawn with their bodies at an angle, which may have made them appear larger or more detailed, whereas the new version uses true side view. For the time being they've prioritized the side view animations, the ones for the other six directions have been pushed to the back burner for now to reduce animation load, but they do plan to get them finished at some point. The game also will not be all that different from the 0.8 version in terms of content. They're goal is to remake all of that as it was and keep most of the characters the same, with the exception of the Razorclaw leader and Cenvir, and as a result Cenvir will have less than he did in 0.8, but eventually will get back up to that with his new personality and story.
cool its nice to hear the old content will be remade. i am a bit iffy on the Cenvir thing seeing as it was one of the most fleshed out quests in the old version and my favorite part. but i hope they make it similar just with a different context i guess. i look forward to seeing hoe this turns out. thanks for spitting hard facts too.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2017
Yeah even if I am angry at a dev, I won't leave a bad review on their product. If you have personal biases against a game dev, don't mark it a 1 star just to be spiteful. There's many good games on here that have 3 or less stars because people did that. "It doesn't have what I want, It bad" type of thing.

It's not fair for people that are actively looking for stuff like this if its been review bombed to 1 star and never recovered.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
Many months ago it was already pointed out here that the direction the game was taking was not the right one, but for the devs it was nicer to come here to boast and then to throw up in their discord with what was being talked about in f95, which has ended up being the reality.

Redemption is not won by starting over like nothing happened. But, that's how we humans are, that we fall on the same stone twice.

NyaaRrar

Jan 18, 2019
Let's be honest that last engine wasn't exactly going to do what they wanted it to do. Engine development is half the battle with game development. I know we'll see a greater variety of content provided by the reconstruction from the ground up.

saigyjouji

Jun 7, 2018
Mhm guys does someone have this problem? i mean they most of time bugged like this, is this normal?? or is it just my pc? xD i mean the 3d grass area sometimes get blacked too, its kinda weird as all games work for me total fine, just this one o.o tried this normal and with launcher also, same problem
LOK.png

Reactions: Animalsfan5698

1qazqaz

Jun 23, 2018
Let's be honest that last engine wasn't exactly going to do what they wanted it to do. Engine development is half the battle with game development. I know we'll see a greater variety of content provided by the reconstruction from the ground up.
it probably a god thing they chose to restart from the grounds up with a better engine

Reactions: nahbrenda2

saigyjouji

Jun 7, 2018
Can someone help me with my problem please? i mean i know there schould be alot of bugs and lack of animation, but does it include those 2 white sprites i uploaded on the image above?? anyone else have this problem too? sorry for my bad english

Sharun

Jun 29, 2017
Can someone help me with my problem please? i mean i know there schould be alot of bugs and lack of animation, but does it include those 2 white sprites i uploaded on the image above?? anyone else have this problem too? sorry for my bad english
As to my knowledge those werent finished, thus their white placeholders.
On the other hand, i thinks its your PC *kicking his own old machine* Send it to me so i can have a look at it ;)

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes