Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

Liero

Jun 13, 2018
counterpoint: if they keep remaking the remake of the remake of the remake, their game will never meet your arbitrary metric for how complete it needs to be to be worth criticism, and they'll be able to continue to fleece their patrons free from well-earned derision
Do you think they are just pooling the money somewhere? Like, rather than using the money on paying their staff, they are just gathering the money in a pile until it's maybe a few hundred thousand dollars?

That's not really how it works when there is more than 1 person. I actually do believe that if they didn't pay the folks helping them with animations/coding etc etc, we would see people leaving the project, not joining it.

Look at it as them hitting a dead end on their previous attempt, and going again now with more resources in order to fix whatever troubles the previous iteration had...so that they won't do the same mistakes again.

saigyjouji

Jun 7, 2018
As to my knowledge those werent finished, thus their white placeholders.
On the other hand, i thinks its your PC *kicking his own old machine* Send it to me so i can have a look at it ;)
thank you for answer, mhm what exactly schould i sent you?? the pic is in this topic, at top of page 2, my pc specs are 1060gtx i5-8400 so i dont believe its too weak for this game xD but last days i played with nvidia settings and wonder or its because of that, or just the sprites arent finished :D

DefinitelyNotAFurry

Mar 2, 2020
Do you think they are just pooling the money somewhere? Like, rather than using the money on paying their staff, they are just gathering the money in a pile until it's maybe a few hundred thousand dollars?
i never even implied that, stop putting words in my mouth. this has nothing to do with some conspiratorial nonsense like that - i'm implying that whether they're paying their staff or buying designer hats for the director's dog, it doesn't matter where the money goes. the point is that it's ill-gotten by way of avoiding legitimate criticism and using bullshit nonjustifications as a way to shield themselves from it is intellectually dishonest considering they ran the clock on their goodwill years ago

whether it's their intent to do so or not, constantly remaking a game that never reaches some idiot's weird, arbitrary minimum of "being worth criticism" is just an easy to keep rent paid for the rest of your life without fear of people applying critical judgment about whether their money is being well-spent

you're also making a lot of assumptions about the value of this team considering that in the span of 10 months they couldn't even finish half the walkcycles for a single character

Last edited:

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
What else does their track record warrant?
Well, apparently endless discussion about how it's a remake, how many remakes there are, how long the game is taking, and how little they have to show. But I personally would like to see discussion about the game itself, constructive critique for the devs, and useful feedback that they can actually do something with.

YanChen

Apr 12, 2018
Well, apparently endless discussion about how it's a remake, how many remakes there are, how long the game is taking, and how little they have to show. But I personally would like to see discussion about the game itself, constructive critique for the devs, and useful feedback that they can actually do something with.
I would have loved to discuss about the game myself. But since the devs are going back to 2D againg and starting all over again. Would it really matter? The game we got was only a tech demo. Meaning, that they were checking the mechanics. What's the point in giving feedback now that they've basically scrapped it?

Maybe people found it frustrating that the game they got after an year of waiting just meant nothing.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
I would have loved to discuss about the game myself. But since the devs are going back to 2D againg and starting all over again. Would it really matter? The game we got was only a tech demo. Meaning, that they were checking the mechanics. What's the point in giving feedback now that they've basically scrapped it?

Maybe people found it frustrating that the game they got after an year of waiting just meant nothing.
Maybe I've missed something, but from my understanding they are not scrapping everything. The majority of what they've been working on will remain. It's just that they're getting rid of 3D in favor of 2D.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
Well, it's not that there's much to scrap because there's really hardly any. However, talking about the character is a constructive criticism for the developers, as you say. Another thing is that the developers, as it has happened in the last months, take the criticism as less constructive and more destructive.

Liero

Jun 13, 2018
i never even implied that, stop putting words in my mouth. this has nothing to do with some conspiratorial nonsense like that - i'm implying that whether they're paying their staff or buying designer hats for the director's dog, it doesn't matter where the money goes. the point is that it's ill-gotten by way of avoiding legitimate criticism and using bullshit nonjustifications as a way to shield themselves from it is intellectually dishonest considering they ran the clock on their goodwill years ago

whether it's their intent to do so or not, constantly remaking a game that never reaches some idiot's weird, arbitrary minimum of "being worth criticism" is just an easy to keep rent paid for the rest of your life without fear of people applying critical judgment about whether their money is being well-spent

you're also making a lot of assumptions about the value of this team considering that in the span of 10 months they couldn't even finish half the walkcycles for a single character
Except that they aren't constantly remaking. I get that LOK is a rather famous Flash game of the past, and that there have been several iterations of it after it's original, but that doesn't mean this team in specific have ever been affiliated with the numerous attempts of the past.

They have technically just 2 attempts here. One with Abelius as the programmer/coder/animator or whatever position you could attribute to him, and Kuja as the artist and original person starting the Patreon for the project. That didn't pan out due to issues explained numerous times.

Now they have a new attempt from scratch, as they couldn't use what was already there, again, explained previously in the other LOK Rebirth thread. They now have a much larger team working on the game. They have staff dedicated towards coding/animation etc, making the progress perhaps more efficient then what it was with just one person doing most of the heavy lifting.

Are there arguments to be made that they fucked up? Of course there are. Did they use a long time to get a proof of concept out there? Yes, but I'm not a game developer, so I wouldn't know in any way just how complex making a game actually is. But did they intentionally do it to fuck up people supporting them? Sincerely doubt it.
Again, people would not be joining a project, and the person originally fired from it would most definitely NOT be associated with them today if they where out to just draw out goodwill from people.

As with most Patreon/Kickstarter/Crowdfunding games, there are risks. Sometimes, shit just don't work out as intended, which is something that happened here. It's up to the individual on wherever or not they want to take that risk. And people do seem to not have run out of what you call "goodwill" here, as they still have a decent amount of people supporting them.

People here on F95, to my knowledge, don't really take any of the risks. I am making a assumption here, but I actually think most people don't actually sub to the creators patreons or buy their games if they arrive on Steam or whatever platform that sells their game. I have supported personally several creators of different games, and some of them turn out to be total shams despite having a good starting point...which is of course a shame. I am just not getting the same feeling here regarding LOK Team.

I have changed my opinion on them a few times in the past for sure, but after seeing the progress they are making forwards now, it seems like they starting to hit that development stride where things will start moving forwards a bit quicker.

I do sincerely hope that I'm not wrong here though. I've spent money on this project, so I of course hope something positive will come out of it. But if it doesn't, I'll just put it down as another patreon/kickstarter failure and be a bit more careful in the future over who gets my money.

Edit:
I get that I've previously made the joke about rebirth of a remakening etc etc, but just look at the thread name. "Legend of Krystal Rebirth Remake". Can't make this shit up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2495118

How come my machine can smoothely run unofficial WoW MoP client on highest settings in raids and still get only around 10 fps in this particular remake even on the lowest graphics? P_P

SonaraFox

Jul 6, 2017
True, but it's also not their fault that people keep commenting the same repeated misconceptions because they've not bothered to read any of what's already been said.
people would rather see results than excuses and explanations for things they honestly don't care about. I know this is kind of a 4head response but just focus on your game and put out a product and it speaks for itself, you know? People are going to talk regardless so just give people something to talk about instead of a lack thereof.

Mchammer22

Jul 30, 2017
We’re releasing the next patch of animations to the tech demo! We’d like to confirm that we’re going to be redoing the game view in Milestone 2 to fix the odd ‘flat’ 3D look to make it look better and feel more natural, I was working on mini-games that we have planned, however it is still not ready unfortunately and will be put in Milestone 2 after the new view is setup.

Patch 2 (next patch) will include,

• New companion interaction (Prototype: )
  • Side Front and Side Back angles to the characters
  • Fixes to Keakrix
  • Scenes 2 and 3
  • More bug fixes? Perhaps? Most Likely...
Thanks to the feedback from the community we were able to find bugs and fix them and we’re even able to highlight their particular contribution by name. We go through all the feedback given to us in the channels and it is very helpful in making a better experience for you.

The change log for the Tech Demo is,

• Sex scene 4 and 1 completed with full effects.
  • Released to Linux, Mac, and Windows.
  • Lock attribute confirm button unless all points are met.
  • Added Terms and Conditions to the game.
  • Back button for the play settings menu.
  • The map smoothly jitters instead of instantly jitter.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the player was destroyed.
  • Feedback from the community,
    • Titus G (Compton Alex)
      • Volume and effects are within the same slider.
      • Female/Male voice slider.
    • Boyzilla
      • Zoom keyboard controls.
    • Doc
      • Characters fall through terrain.
      • Hilltop.
        • Level should not be loading.
    • Vulapa
      • Jar Dupe Glitch.
        • Pick up the jar then fall off map.
    • Honuel
      • Invisible Wall.
        • People are annoyed by the invisible wall, we should use natural ways of locking them in.
      • Rock bridge sound loop.
        • Step in the pressure plate while the sound of Rock Bridge cues, then fall into the void immediately.
      • Slow Stamina Recover Time.
      • Companion Can’t Follow Well.
    • Druideftw
      • Clicking on a menu option twice makes the menu option have the same outline as when you would hover over the option with your mouse, but it won't disappear when leaving the option with your mouse, only when clicking on a different one.
      • Clicking Escape or tab leads to strange behavior (Dampening sound and randomly jumping menu options).
      • After declining the quit option you need to click another menu option or quit twice before being able to be asked again if you want to close the game.
      • Really nitpicky; In the graphics settings. At the upper options with the text and the box you can tick(Full-screen, V-Sync), you can click between the text and the box while at the lower three options you cannot.
      • The name of the save file only gets shown once you open the save file. There is also a strange thing when you start a new game and exit it, it doesn't show up anymore in the save game menu as it isn't saved when you first start it, but the name of the new save game that never got saved is now the name of an old saved game.
    • Mad_Shell
      • beginning a new game in the same slot as a previously saved game: it seems that some of the progress is kept, since Appius first welcomes Krys with "Aaah, the exotic beauty returns" (edit: it happens even when the game was not saved, just playing in a slot is enough for it to happen).
      • Better Companion Interaction.
      • Typo in map name, Uzukai instead of Urzukai.
      • When the "run mode" is activated (running icone top right of the screen), the stamina does not regenerate, even when not moving.
    • Hearthrow
      • Low resolution has issues with icons being low res.
    • 'Best' Mum
      • Got a bug in the character overview screen, results in items disappearing from existence:
      • 0. Remove some clothes from a character (probably not necessary, but all the clothes in the demo start equipped!)
      • 1. Select another character who has clothes on.
      • 2. Click on a clothes slot with something already in it.
      • 3. Select another item in that slot - item that was previously in that slot no longer exists!
    • Raiden
      • Clipping Chest.
    • Lev
      • Companion doesn’t disappear on death? Maybe?
      • Level issues.
    • Otoshimara
      • Companion Manager is bugged.
        • Currently it looks like you can't move Sek when you take control of him, and if you add and remove him from the party a few times it freaks out the party page.
    • Toaster Enthusiast
      • If you fall off the map as Krystal, and then reload the game, you won't be able to move as that character anymore, not even by staring a whole new save.
    • Mesh
      • Map cheat issues.
      • Also I was able to complitely softlock the game by spamming things (proffesional describtion right here) in the menu while in a dailogue (first sex scene to be exact), only keyboard imputs work, mouse imputs do not respond and I can't interact with anything.
Launcher:

Windows:

MAC:

Last edited:

Mchammer22

Jul 30, 2017

Above is the Road-map for the next few months!

Hi all, an important update we'd like to inform you about, due to community feedback and the time it was taking to make 3D environments, we've decided to go back to the old 2D environments that Kuja is amazing at drawing.

The 3D environments had a ton of potential, and honestly if we had more time we could have made them work with the 2D characters, but the community found them divisive. Some people loved them, others hated them. So we've gone back to 2D backgrounds like 0.8 had, but with a kicker, we're going to be including parallax scrolling, as well as simulating dynamic time/weather using parallaxing. For example in this image:

The moons are separate layers, as are the clouds, which allows us to move them as the day progresses in-game. We will also be able to change how NPCs behave/jobs during nighttime as well, and include timed events that can only be done at certain times.

Here’s the level plan for the Razorclaw Tribe level, the primary level in the next build along with the level art Kuja created.

We also have a little piece for KRAM (Krystal Appreciation Month) for the patrons that is a little late, but we think you will enjoy.

-LoK:R Team

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes